Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,471 members, 7,801,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? (501 Views)

My Wife Still Uses Her Maiden Name To Open Bank Account / Does The Vagina Revert Back To Normal? / Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by Treash(m): 9:03am On Jul 03, 2020
Treash:

Ordinarily, the law makes provision against jactitation in marriage. Jactitation exist where a partner presents herself to make people believe she's still married to her ex-husband. Same with man. A good example is bearing his surname. It must be noted that a man has a right to sue the woman for jactitation, but his case will only be successful if he can show that the woman uses his surname to defraud people.

There was a recent case where the man sues the ex-wife for bearing his surname after divorce. Her defence was that changing the surname to her maiden name would occasion a set back on her music carrier, and the court approved her decision. Therefore, a woman has a right to bear whichever surname she chooses provided it's not for illegal purpose or to defraud people.

Barr Adeolu Ayo Aderinto.
Re: Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by Vyzz: 9:12am On Jul 03, 2020
I think u have answered the question

My aunt was once married but the husband died and the husbands family pushed her away....

She came back home to her fathers house and was answering her father's name..... But their only is still bearing his late dad's name...
Re: Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by thesicilian: 9:22am On Jul 03, 2020
If the man is poor when will revert to her maiden name, but if it's a wealthy man whose name opens doors I bet you she'll keep it.
Re: Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by bukatyne(f): 9:31am On Jul 03, 2020
Dependent on the woman, the status of the man, what she has built in her married name, her age etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by Fountainofyouth(f): 9:52am On Jul 03, 2020
thesicilian:
If the man is poor when will revert to her maiden name, but if it's a wealthy man whose name opens doors I bet you she'll keep it.

Exactly, and there is nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Married Woman Revert Back To Her Maiden Name After Divorce? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 03, 2020
Divorce is never easy.....the stress in Changing your name to your husband's name in the first place is so much, but then the one of changing back to your maiden name after a divorce/separation it's worse......so she sticking to that surname even after divorce should be understood and accepted.
Sacrifices ladies make that the society don't see

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Light Situation In Sonyo, Soka Ibadan / Need Advice On How To Salvage My Home / Missing Person.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.