Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. (48582 Views)

Naira Depreciates By N64 Against Dollar At FOREX Market / Naira Continues Appreciating Against Dollar, Sell At ₦‎1,100 / ‘How CBN Can Track $26bn Binance Transactions’ - Obinna Iwuno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by AceVentura: 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2020
Has Sahara Reporters ever heard of NAFEX or the I&E Window?

They should read about them before coming to write rubbish here.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by leokid866: 9:03pm On Jul 03, 2020
LikeAking:

This measure will only destroy the economy more and more,because investors will exit the country when that are unable to make remittances to their mother land.

It's more of a balancing act.....temporary too...even the most savy business men can understand that and will not in anger pull out because of a temporary measure after investing so much....if you said deterring new investors that I can understand.....but like I said temporary measure.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by 989900: 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2020
Layman's language: if the CBN were honest, a ₦2m car for example should cost say ₦1.6m or less, a ₦50,000 phone would be say ₦40,000 or less, and your ₦30,000 minimum wage would have more purchasing power.

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by omoyankee3(m): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2020
omenka:
Sometimes, deliberately suppressing the rise of one's currency against the dollar is a strategy deployed by governments to attract FDIs. Nowhere else is this more entrenched than in China, which is one of the reasons behind their endless squabbles with Uncle Sam.

I am not really sure if similar strategy would augur well for Nigeria anyway, since the other factors necessary to attract such FDIs, such as dependable critical infrastructure, are lacking.

Come what may, I wish my dear country well. We'll come out of the current economic quagmire stronger I believe.

Difference is that China is an exporting country, and Nigeria is predominantly a consumer. This can only hurt Nigeria's economy.

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by DAVE5(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2020
Itisallright:
I don't know why we're so selfish in Africa, most especially our leaders.....

The selfishness thing is quite tiring, how much do they want to spend in their life time, they have made enough money to last then 10 lifetimes but no, they keep squandering and looting, greedy lot
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by DAVE5(m): 9:37pm On Jul 03, 2020
lilprinze:
This present government led by mr integrity and APC, is the most corrupt and useless government in the history of this country.

If pdp or any other party were to take power, that's when we would hear figures they've stolen

The figures would make abacha the great shake in his grave

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:45pm On Jul 03, 2020
omenka:
Sometimes, deliberately suppressing the rise of one's currency against the dollar is a strategy deployed by governments to attract FDIs. Nowhere else is this more entrenched than in China, which is one of the reasons behind their endless squabbles with Uncle Sam.

I am not really sure if similar strategy would augur well for Nigeria anyway, since the other factors necessary to attract such FDIs, such as dependable critical infrastructure, are lacking.

Come what may, I wish my dear country well. We'll come out of the current economic quagmire stronger I believe.
Well spoken like an economic illiterate.
China keeps it's currency exchange high in relation to the dollar because it's a manufacturing economy who exports to other countries. A low currency value means those countries can buy more of their goods which drives up production, and employment and as a result, a higher GDP. It is for this reason that Trump was able to impose a tariff of $500bn on Chinese goods. Just imagine volume and value of goods that attracts that magnitude of tariffs. Nigeria on the other hand is an importing economy which means a higher exchange rate will help our balance of payments and therefore help our economy further. A weak currency is why we have to pay more for goods and services including petroleum products. So you can see how the weak currency is affecting our economic well being.

3 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Agboriotejoye(m): 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2020
DuBLINGreenb:
This writeup is not well researched and as such it is unclear and difficult to understand.

There may be some truth to the piece but it needs to be clearer

The Central Bank keep dollars and issue promisory notes or tell banks to give such and such person the naira equivalent of whatever dollar money was sent to him or if he wants dollar they'll tell the bank to give him or her the dollars the banks have while the CBN holds the dollar the sender sent in the USA this is to regulate the amount of dollars in Nigeria and prevent over dependence on dollar as well as too much dollars from entering Nigeria or too many Nigerians seeking dollars this helps give the naira the little value it has
Your theory defeats the purpose of demand and supply. If you stifle supply of dollars, does it drive up the value of dollars against naira or down? The problem with our currency has always been too much naira chasing a few dollars. While the dollar is needed for international trade as well. The idea of keeping the dollar in foreign reserves is healthy but it's useless if it does not reflect in our reserves which is what this article is contending

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by LikeAking: 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2020
leokid866:

It's more of a balancing act.....temporary too...even the most savy business men can understand that and will not in anger pull out because of a temporary measure after investing so much....if you said deterring new investors that I can understand.....but like I said temporary measure.

Remitting their profits aboard is way of proteci g their funds from the constant devaluation of the naira.

Once they are unable to ship their money abroad they are doomed in hell.What ever profit they make during this perilous times will be eroded by the tormenting economical hardship and currency devaluations that will soon act their various scenes on the grand stage of the Nigeria economy.

The only reason why many businesses exist in Nigeria and still make profits till yesterday is because they hedge the cash against the weakened naira in stable currencies abroad.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2020
angry
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Yankee101: 10:41pm On Jul 03, 2020
Thieves everywhere
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by pacespot(m): 10:55pm On Jul 03, 2020
So if I received dollars in my domiciliary account from the business transaction online. CBN wouldn't allow my bank to pay me dollar cash in over-the-counter withdrawal?

Any expert in the field should share light on this.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Mrpojj(m): 11:14pm On Jul 03, 2020
Islie:
How Central Bank Of Nigeria Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against United States Dollar

https://saharareporters.com/2020/07/02/exposed-how-central-bank-nigeria-deliberately-prevents-naira-appreciating-against-united

When pple like femi falana leave the scene I wonder who else will be speaking up
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by oruma19: 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2020
Truetalk3139:

You successfully mentioned the youths in same category with hushpuppy. There are millions of youth out there that if given the opportunity will turn this country around in just a week.

Go to Ile-Ife and see with your eyes what a youthful Monarch (OONI OF IFE) is doing compared to the yesterday Monarch.

Yes there are a few bad eggs but please don't tell me youths are not the way
unfortunately, the good ones can't be in politics because Nigerians are very stupid to demand for bribe in order to vote people into office. My dear, no hope jare
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by oganoble(m): 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2020
Itisallright:
I don't know why we're so selfish in Africa, most especially our leaders.....
that’s how the system has been designed long ago. The Europeans and Americans had similar situation of government and institutional corruption, aimed at benefiting a particular set of people until the people demanded and got more political rights. The problem with Africa is either the people are too scared or reluctantly comfortable to make a move to change things( e.g. Nigeria) or some people lead a revolution and simply change the set of people benefiting from the government(e.g. Egypt). It’s an unfair battle between the rich and the poor. We have a long way to go my brother.

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Truetalk3139: 11:42pm On Jul 03, 2020
oruma19:
unfortunately, the good ones can't be in politics because Nigerians are very stupid to demand for bribe in order to vote people into office. My dear, no hope jare

the people that vote are less than the people that don't vote, for success to be achieved all hands must be on deck
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by oruma19: 11:45pm On Jul 03, 2020
Truetalk3139:

the people that vote are less than the people that don't vote, for success to be achieved all hands must be on deck
u are right 100%. I am just tired of the country jare. Insincerity everywhere. May God deliver us all by giving us the heart to confront our oppressors

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Truetalk3139: 11:46pm On Jul 03, 2020
oruma19:
u are right 100%. I am just tired of the country jare. Insincerity everywhere. May God deliver us all by giving us the heart to confront our oppressors

a big Amen to that!
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by sniperr007(m): 12:03am On Jul 04, 2020
omenka:

You have spoken well.

More firmness to your kponjas
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Pickieox(m): 12:46am On Jul 04, 2020
dynicks:
I tire for the set of leaders existing in this very part of the globe.......them no fit kill me aswear...

Abeg mama nkechi,...u get fufu?...abeg arrange on plate pass give me ....uhmm..u fit still use your church mind add some collabos into it but know say I no hold enough money reach....just do it for me biko as your long time customer.....

Naija matter really tire person....ehe! Add hero join give me abeg....I go try pay u all next week

Lol...this your Osho pics funny die...it really represented that short fufu story you presented up there...and see how e be like a vulcanizer...

1 Like

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by fabolouz1(m): 1:29am On Jul 04, 2020
This administration has the worst economic team since independence.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Lotechi(m): 3:14am On Jul 04, 2020
omenka:

what you are saying is called currency devaluation, which has it’s pros and cons. But what this post contains is fraud being perpetuated by government officials. To add, there is hardly any middle income country whose currency is as weak as ours.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by HIbreed(m): 3:27am On Jul 04, 2020
Bluffly:
Banks have been paying in USD and GBP
tell me which banks, the ones that will frustrate your life to give you 200$ of the 2000$ you requested. The 200$ sef is after visiting many branches.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by HIbreed(m): 3:30am On Jul 04, 2020
djon78:

It's not even about class room economics rather the terrible level of non transparency going on.

Nigerian elites actually don't want Nigeria to get better.
If things get better, they won't gain much from the system again.
And when I say elites I mean everyone of them. Irrespective of the political divide they belong.

But one-day a true honest reformer will rise on the throne
And clear all the mess.
Fixing Nigeria is not a rocket science
The basic fundamentals are there

Huge population
Enough educated workforce
Abundant natural resources

The main problem is the elites
Gbam!!
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by HIbreed(m): 3:40am On Jul 04, 2020
leokid866:
Whoever wrote this did not do his research properly....cause I have been receiving dollars since January through the lock down even till now....and I've been collecting the dollar and trading it off on the black market....what I know is that they stopped any dollar within the country from leaving....but any dollar from outside will be allowed passage....for example if someone transfers dollar to me from the US and I transfer it to another Nigerian bank account whoever I transfer it to cannot transfer the money out of the country.....but if from my account I transfer it out of the country it will be allowed to pass....I believe this is done to help shore up our foreign exchange reserves and keep a running on the dollar from happening because it's after effect would be a complete fall of the naira....I know they have ignored helping the naira on the black market because that's not a fight they can afford now so they have stuck to the windows that are important while they work on merging all trade windows.
which banks is gving you the dollars because all i was graced with is cock and bull stories everyday.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by coputa(m): 6:35am On Jul 04, 2020
samsard:
China manipulates it's RMB to allow its goods compete favorably. Japan's currency as you may know also has a wide gap to the dollar.
that'scorrect, trade protectionism for their exports.it does not favours countries that trades on deficit like nigeria.importers are losers in that arrangement.we all know that china and japan are major export countries.So that corrupt policy does not work in nigeria.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Pharaoh4rin(m): 6:47am On Jul 04, 2020
We have four (4) major revenue generating arms of d FG: Custom, NNPC, CBN and FIRS. These fours arms are d biggest thieves of all time. They're under d control of d presidency. The NFIU which spearhead d dollar market is a drain pipe.
Lemme not reveal some things happening there, but d whole thing is crazy!
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by lagosrd: 7:02am On Jul 04, 2020
Huspuppi strategy
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by leokid866: 7:34am On Jul 04, 2020
HIbreed:
which banks is gving you the dollars because all i was graced with is cock and bull stories everyday.
G.t....Firstbank.
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by samsard(m): 7:35am On Jul 04, 2020
coputa:
that'scorrect, trade protectionism for their exports.it does not favours countries that trades on deficit like nigeria.importers are losers in that arrangement.we all know that china and japan are major export countries.So that corrupt policy does not work in nigeria.
Federal government still uses it to get more Naira to fund the budget. When they have a lot less dollars in revenue they just devalue the Naira to get more bang for the buck
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by coputa(m): 7:57am On Jul 04, 2020
samsard:
Federal government still uses it to get more Naira to fund the budget. When they have a lot less dollars in revenue they just devalue the Naira to get more bang for the buck
When there is scarcity of dollars in the economy,you stimulate export.Do you know that if you delibrately devalues your currency to attract the dollar,your will be bedevile by inflation.A project of 1 billion will sky rock to 5 billion i.e low purchasing power of the currency.That is why the economy is not growing.We need havard trained crack economic team in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obituary: Chief Udala Philip Ekwosi Burial Poster (Photos) / BUA Reduces The Price Of Cement To ₦3,500 Per Bag, Promises Further Reduction / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.