Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing (31067 Views)

4 Dead As U.S Airplane Crashes In Virginia (Photos) / Court Jails Captain For Life Over Lagos Boat Mishap Deaths / Planes Crashes Into The Sea In Ivory Coast During Landing, 4 Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by SarkinYarki: 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2020
GavelSlam:

Of course, I'm enjoying the government.

Seems you are enduring.

grin

You no lie I am enduring oooo
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Coronavirus84: 12:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
GavelSlam:

You also went to Shiloh late last year proclaiming 2020 was your year.

How far?
Very funny
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by kokomilala(m): 12:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
That's why I'm not for this waterways transport. Our government is too irresponsible to be trusted with lives. Their efforts should be channelled towards mass transit, particularly railway.
My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones.

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by kentzz(f): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2020
So sad to hear. Traveling on water in the night isn't safe at all. Only God knows what led to this.

See you all in Paradise���
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by tot(f): 1:01pm On Jul 04, 2020
Why don't people obey simple orders? 6pm was the cut off time but both the operator and passengers embarked on this journey at 8pm. We can't be blaming government all the time, there is a place for personal accountability as well.
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by GavelSlam: 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2020
SarkinYarki:

You no lie I am enduring oooo
grin

E go better.
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by SarkinYarki: 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2020
GavelSlam:

grin

E go better.

Amen Amen Amen

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by SexytorresE(f): 1:10pm On Jul 04, 2020
No life jacket ?
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by ofiko123(m): 1:33pm On Jul 04, 2020
RIP to the dead.. We pray that the other ones missing should be found quickly and immediately...
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by mechanics(m): 1:46pm On Jul 04, 2020
Water transportation is not still save in Lagos.
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2020
GavelSlam:

You also went to Shiloh late last year proclaiming 2020 was your year.

How far?
I am not a member of Living Faith Church, talk-less of posting those lies here as you claimed and I challenge you post show everyone where I made such a comment in the past but if you can't, then you must be hallucinating grin

BTW, in as much as year 2020 can't be fair to all, I thank God for because I am doing well in my profession. What I have achieved in the first half, I have never realized in the last 7 years and if you say it's my year, you are not far from being correct, given the aforementioned reason.
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by jidxin(m): 2:12pm On Jul 04, 2020
fairfora:
But sanwoolu said boat mishap is now a thing of the past in lagos in his recent but usual lies? What's bad in providing enough life jacket at various terminals and enforce compliance like you guys do before boarding a flight?

By now, an average lagosian ought to have learnt how to swim due to the state's proximity to the coastal line . In addition to having a life jacket, govt must also ensure passengers present a swimming certificate before he/she is allowed to board. The captain too must possess a relevant permit or licence to operate...all these don't concern these useless politicians because their lives and that of their family members aren't involved.
seems u don't understand alot of things here. For the fact that airbags are installed in cars does it stops fatalities... So the impact of a boat hitting something could cause internal bleeding etc, they didn't die by drowning

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by jidxin(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2020
fairfora:
I have read it again and again. That is what you hear in a situation like this...trading blame games. Who certified the operation of the said boat...a ghost? If you dig deeper, that boat belongs to one of them who registered a company under which it operates. It's just like Alhaji Sirika who claimed he wasn't aware the UK aircraft registered to carry covid-19 and humanitarian materials was suddenly turned into a commercial flight by same politicians. Thanks to one of the senior aviation staff who exposed them. As a family man, can you tell me you don't know what's happening under your roof? Who certified the aircraft for operations? Who issued the operator the relevant permit? The next thing we heard was that, they were fined 1m naira...a plane that was supposed to be banned and even seized . For your information, it wasn't even the first one to be discovered for such illegal activities during the lockdown.

They said you and I should stay home and stay safe and work from home. They locked down airports, land borders and interstate boundaries but same people were flying private jets up and down during pandemic. It was during one of the trips that late ajimobi contracted covid-19 which eventually took his life.

Believe all these politicians at your own peril. They're not worth defending because they don't defend you.
what is this one even saying. Nawa ooo

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by greensandy: 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2020
felixeno:
How can people be this foolish, you that you can't swim yet you are going near the sea, even entering a boat.

Accident happens, there is no perfection in humanity; it is like saying you that can't fly yet you are on the jet plane.

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by frog12: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2020
and these people will boast daily that their waterway is safe !

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2020
jidxin:
seems u don't understand alot of things here. For the fact that airbags are installed in cars does it stops fatalities... So the impact of a boat hitting something could cause internal bleeding etc, they didn't die by drowning
Oh, they didn't die by drowning? Pardon me then.

But I can tell you there are a lot going on in government which many do not know anything about. Some people might just react blindly with emotions or sentiments but I don't care. I think I can explain briefly to you why i made those previous comments because i could see you had a few idea of safety.

When Gov fashola was in office, my UK-based friend came home to invest in lagos sea transport. He presented his proposal asking for just one route to enable him ferry 900 lagos passengers per trip across the lagoon. They had a deep conversation with him and the proposal almost sailed through when it was hijacked by one of them in government. Another company modified it and it was approved and the rest was history. We only heard the project had been executed by another company in the news with my friend's ideas being showcased by this company grin. Unfortunately, the said company could only afford a 22-passenger boat. My fried went back to the UK and nothing was done about it till Fashola left power. When Gov Ambode came to power, he came back to present his proposal to him and he welcomed the idea. But this time, he had secured patent rights with legal backing such that, nobody would plagiarize or modify it without due permission.

In a nut shell, the government of Ambode did not do much but promised to invite him in due course as it would be his second term agenda(but ambode only did 4 years). This proposal contained 2 major sea transport packages...one was to ferry over 100 cars at a time accross the lagoos and second, to ferry 900 passengers across the lagoon per trip as done in a renown company where he works in the UK as Manager. 2 different UK financiers were willing to invest their money in it. The following were among the on-board equipment and personnel:

Resuscitation and Emergency Kits
Modern Life jackets with reflectors
SOS kits and Panic Buttons
AEDs
First Aid Section
2 Drs on board and to be paid per shift alongside security personnel to ensure passengers safety. fare per trip was very good when compared to driving on land.

The ferries would be brand new and fully insured and this would have created jobs too. Sanwoolu invited my friend and had lengthy discussions with him. His proposal was almost getting to the stage of approval when my friend called and said, this people aren't ready for business. I asked why and he said they were discussing a sharing formula which he was not comfortable with, despite that he would be the one to finance it 100% , pay the necessary dues and taxes and he had to back off. That was the beginning of this year before covid-19 pandemic issues disrupted the whole thing. I hope he's called back.

I have gone to jetties with him on inspection b4. we also did an aerial survey together in a copter once. Among the boats seen that day, only one had passengers wearing life jackets...about 6 passengers. i guess it belongs to a popular oil company in lagos because i saw the logo on it. All others didn't observe the safety rules. This is not the first time a mishap would happen in lagos and claim lives and if you are resident here, you would understand. Sea transport is very safe, night or day but negligence and greed of our people always cause most of the mishaps. We do not have iceberg or physical blockades in our sea. if all is put in place, no single mishap would be recorded in years.

2 Likes

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Kennyfancy(m): 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2020
Yoruba people nor Sabi drive boat joor
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by frozen70(f): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2020
I think the idea of flying boats should be written off and banned, let's concentrate on ferry boats alone

It's a safer transport system to compare with the normal fly boats
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by ijeky: 4:59pm On Jul 04, 2020
It is quite unfortunate that the govt. had tolled the means of covering up this error from them by stating that the passengers took off by 8pm. I have a family from my church that the wife and the daughter were part of the accident and the daughter by name Chidera couldn't make it. A girl that was to go for service if not for COVID. My sister said that they boarded by 6pm and the boat spoilt like three times on top of the water. The only truth is that the boat was overloaded. This woman said that they stayed up to 3 hours waiting for help until his husband went to complain that his wife and daughter that boarded ard 6pm were yet to be seen. The person that said that no one should defend the government is very correct. My prayer is for God to console the parents and siblings.

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Nnamdinaija(m): 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2020
fairfora:
In addition to having a life jacket, govt must also ensure passengers present a swimming certificate before he/she is allowed to board.

Why not say,

In addition to having a parachute, govt must also ensure passengers present flying certificate before he/she is allowed to board an aeroplane.

Nonsense and Ingredients undecided

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by Tonysmith4sure(m): 6:42pm On Jul 04, 2020
So sad. Nigerians can be stubborn[b][/b]
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by AmazingELixir: 8:08pm On Jul 04, 2020
fatymore:

Lol.

I dey look for customer now.

When last you change your bed sheets?

Just got some recently dear
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by COMPAQ(m): 9:30pm On Jul 04, 2020
xjiggy:
I don't know why these substandard boats keep breaking the laws. They've been told not to move at night due to the hazardous waters and poor visibility yet they'll not comply. Sometimes they overload it and life jackets don't go round. Some passengers too will ignore safety precautions to the detrimentof others. We're just too reckless in this country. We do not place much value on life.

To be honest probably everyone involved is to blame here. From the boat operator moving at night, to the passengers who agreed to use a boat in darkness, to the government that doesn't have good oversight.
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by COMPAQ(m): 9:41pm On Jul 04, 2020
fairfora:
Oh, they didn't die by drowning? Pardon me then.

But I can tell you there are a lot going on in government which many do not know anything about. Some people might just react blindly with emotions or sentiments but I don't care. I think I can explain briefly to you why i made those previous comments because i could see you had a few idea of safety.

When Gov fashola was in office, my UK-based friend came home to invest in lagos sea transport. He presented his proposal asking for just one route to enable him ferry 900 lagos passengers per trip across the lagoon. They had a deep conversation with him and the proposal almost sailed through when it was hijacked by one of them in government. Another company modified it and it was approved and the rest was history. We only heard the project had been executed by another company in the news with my friend's ideas being showcased by this company grin. Unfortunately, the said company could only afford a 22-passenger boat. My fried went back to the UK and nothing was done about it till Fashola left power. When Gov Ambode came to power, he came back to present his proposal to him and he welcomed the idea. But this time, he had secured patent rights with legal backing such that, nobody would plagiarize or modify it without due permission.

In a nut shell, the government of Ambode did not do much but promised to invite him in due course as it would be his second term agenda(but ambode only did 4 years). This proposal contained 2 major sea transport packages...one was to ferry over 100 cars at a time accross the lagoos and second, to ferry 900 passengers across the lagoon per trip as done in a renown company where he works in the UK as Manager. 2 different UK financiers were willing to invest their money in it. The following were among the on-board equipment and personnel:

Resuscitation and Emergency Kits
Modern Life jackets with reflectors
SOS kits and Panic Buttons
AEDs
First Aid Section
2 Drs on board and to be paid per shift alongside security personnel to ensure passengers safety. fare per trip was very good when compared to driving on land.

The ferries would be brand new and fully insured and this would have created jobs too. Sanwoolu invited my friend and had lengthy discussions with him. His proposal was almost getting to the stage of approval when my friend called and said, this people aren't ready for business. I asked why and he said they were discussing a sharing formula which he was not comfortable with, despite that he would be the one to finance it 100% , pay the necessary dues and taxes and he had to back off. That was the beginning of this year before covid-19 pandemic issues disrupted the whole thing. I hope he's called back.

I have gone to jetties with him on inspection b4. we also did an aerial survey together in a copter once. Among the boats seen that day, only one had passengers wearing life jackets...about 6 passengers. i guess it belongs to a popular oil company in lagos because i saw the logo on it. All others didn't observe the safety rules. This is not the first time a mishap would happen in lagos and claim lives and if you are resident here, you would understand. Sea transport is very safe, night or day but negligence and greed of our people always cause most of the mishaps. We do not have iceberg or physical blockades in our sea. if all is put in place, no single mishap would be recorded in years.

I can easily believe this story. About two to three years ago when Ambode was making a lot of noise about water transport and just as that jetty at falomo was being completed, I went to their office at falomo to make enquiries. I was thinking of pulling a few friends together to start this ferry business. I figured it would be a good business, for many middle class people to get to their offices in marina, vi and apapa.

I collected form and made enquires ,but it was clear that government wanted to run things by themselves instead of giving free, innovative and creative license to entrepreneurs. Government likes to try to do things by itself, because by so doing it can give favours to their political friends to corner this route and that route etc, instead of allowing pure innovators to operate within a regulatory framework that would be fair to all.

Part of my governance plan for the industry was that LASWA would have an emergency boat that all operators would subscribe to. In the event of a mishap in the water, the pilot of the sjnking boat would send a distress signal for the emergency boat to come.

Here we are today. As always government is incompetent in simple things. This is what the private sector would have thought of and implemented ,which would have given confidence to grow the industry. After this mishap, a lot of people will be put off using the the boats.

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by jnoz23(m): 8:20am On Jul 05, 2020
fairfora:
But sanwoolu said boat mishap is now a thing of the past in lagos in his recent but usual lies? What's bad in providing enough life jacket at various terminals and enforce compliance like you guys do before boarding a flight?

By now, an average lagosian ought to have learnt how to swim due to the state's proximity to the coastal line . In addition to having a life jacket, govt must also ensure passengers present a swimming certificate before he/she is allowed to board. The captain too must possess a relevant permit or licence to operate...all these don't concern these useless politicians because their lives and that of their family members aren't involved.

AS YOU SABI SWIM WELL WELL, WHY YOU NO SWIM REACH LONDON?
Re: Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing by jnoz23(m): 8:26am On Jul 05, 2020
Nnamdinaija:

Why not say,

In addition to having a parachute, govt must also ensure passengers present flying certificate before he/she is allowed to board an aeroplane.

Nonsense and Ingredients undecided

when you tell them to think before they type, dem no go hear! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Travel To Dakar, Senegal By Road / Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira / Aerial Photos of some areas in Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.