Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? (4425 Views)

10 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know By Heart / As A Devoted Christian Should She Study Islamic Studies In The University? / 4 Sexual Sins Every Christian Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 02, 2011
I was listening to drake a few hours ago, and it hit me. . . . should I still be listening to those song? Do I have to play holy holy now?

Anyone that knows the likes of drake knows that their lyrics are on the harsh side. Don't get me wrong, I listen to gospel song too.

As a Christian, do you listen to those kinds of song?
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by fstranger1: 3:01am On Feb 02, 2011
AT 44, you are still listening to Drake?

You be one Iya Ita for real.

Anyway, as a pastor myself, i see nothing wrong in listening to Drake

As long as you make it a family affair, with kids, husband and relatives.

Sometimes, I listen to Drake while i am praying and I tell ya, it makes my prayers get to baba god faster. cheesy
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Jenifa1: 3:05am On Feb 02, 2011
Are you just a christian or a born again christian. there is a difference.

1 Like

Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 3:11am On Feb 02, 2011
Jenifa_:

Are you just a christian or a born again christian. there is a difference.

LOL what is the different between the two?
Can I be both? I was, then not, then. . . . you know.

But I know a strict Ekiti Christian on my campus, and all she has on her mp3 are her bible verses and gospel music.

How do we define the act of BEING a Christian?

1. I wear pants and shorts (a man's clothing, I guess)
2. I listen to those dirty music (lil wayne, drake, baby bash, ludacris etc)

etc. . . .
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Jenifa1: 3:15am On Feb 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL what is the different between the two?
Can I be both? I was, then not, then. . . . you know.

But I know a strict Ekiti Christian on my campus, and all she has on her mp3 are her bible verses and gospel music.

How do we define the act of BEING a Christian?

1. I wear pants and shorts (a man's clothing, I guess)
2. I listen to those dirty music (lil wayne, drake, baby bash, ludacris etc)

etc. . . .

I think religion is personal. The girl on your campus has her way of practicing her Christianity and you also should have yours I guess.
If your conscience is telling you that listening to drake is wrong or bad for your faith, then you probably should stop listening to it. lol
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 3:18am On Feb 02, 2011
Jenifa_:

I think religion is personal. The girl on your campus has her way of practicing her Christianity and you also should have yours I guess.
If your conscience is telling you that listening to drake is wrong or bad for your faith, then you probably should stop listening to it. lol

You might be right.

I know those music are bad, but the beat are just catching tongue
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Jenifa1: 3:19am On Feb 02, 2011
yea i know some songs like that. They would be perfect only if the lyrics were a bit modified lol but I listen to them anyways and try not to pay attention to the words.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by mabell: 9:31am On Feb 02, 2011
I thought you wanted to help!

@ Poster,
There are different kinds of gospel music, r&b, hip hop, rap, instrumentals, acapella, e.t.c
The circular songs will take you no where because the lyrics are not it
In as much as you could just be interested in the beat, the lyrics will still get through to you
So do strictly gospel but some gospel lyrics also are not according to the word of God so when you make your pick, pls be careful

1 Like

Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by UyiIredia(m): 4:42pm On Feb 02, 2011
@ topic and Ileke Idi >>> ultimately that's your choice >>> I'll tell you though that I listen to secular songs >>> however, I do not think it has to be gospel to be right_there are Muslim, Satanic & atheist 'gospel' tracks

For me, I strike a balance between what I listen to and my personal views, which of course are Christian-biased >>> I have a habit of being very detailed about my music collection (i.e I gather all info I can about a track) >>> I have noticed that most, if not all, 'secular' musicians (especially Nigerian or African-American) were involved in the church (or church choir) >>> we have them from Beyonce, M.I and even Lady Gaga ! (her parents are strict Catholics)
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 02, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

@ topic and Ileke Idi >>> ultimately that's your choice >>> I'll tell you though that I listen to secular songs >>> however, I do not think it has to be gospel to be right_there are Muslim, Satanic & atheist 'gospel' tracks

For me, I strike a balance between what I listen to and my personal views, which of course are Christian-biased >>> I have a habit of being very detailed about my music collection (i.e I gather all info I can about a track) >>> I have noticed that most, if not all, 'secular' musicians (especially Nigerian or African-American) were involved in the church (or church choir) >>> we have them from Beyonce, M.I and even Lady Gaga ! (her parents are strict Catholics)

Yea, I heard she used to sing gospel music. . . .I guess the money wasnt coming in.

Have you noticed that most Nigerian gospel have too curses in them? i.e may fire burn them down, they will turn blind, they will get run over by a truck. Na which kain gospel Nigerian ppl dey sing?
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by UyiIredia(m): 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yea, I heard she used to sing gospel music. . . .I guess the money wasnt coming in.

Have you noticed that most Nigerian gospel have too curses in them? i.e may fire burn them down, they will turn blind, they will get run over by a truck. Na which kain gospel Nigerian ppl dey sing?

abi o ! as if they are casting out demons >>> this is why I fancy on of them Paul Wilbur, Mary Mary, Deitrick Haddon, Tye Tribbett kinda gospel songs (the last 3 artists are popular and their songs tend to have an urban feel - I hope you get me)
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by mabell: 7:31pm On Feb 02, 2011
maybe you should try local artists like sinach, eben, samsung, frank edwards, ada, joe praise e.t.c you will be too shocked
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 02, 2011
mabell:

maybe you should try local artists like sinach, eben, samsung, frank edwards, ada, joe praise e.t.c you will be too shocked

for a second there, I thought you were naming phone brands grin I'll try, my brother.

Uyi Iredia:

abi o ! as if they are casting out demons >>> this is why I fancy on of them Paul Wilbur, Mary Mary, Deitrick Haddon, Tye Tribbett kinda gospel songs (the last 3 artists are popular and their songs tend to have an urban feel - I hope you get me)

I love mary mary, Yolanda dams, and Jaci valesquez. You cant go wrong with them kiss

got you!
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by alexleo(m): 10:12am On Feb 03, 2011
@poster, the first thing is to be born again by praying a sincere prayer, confessing all your sins to God, feel sorry for doing them and ask God to forgive you your sins, promise him that you will not go back, accept Jesus in your heart with faith and you will have this wonderful experience of salvation. Ask the Holy Spirt to take over your life and When He does, nobody will tell you the music you should listen to. He (the Holy Spirit) will guide you into all truths. Light and darkness has no part. Pls bear this in mind.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by tpiah2: 12:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
brick wall.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by aloyemeka1: 4:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
Secular music is the least of your problems. You may start with denouncing tribalism and your inherent hatred for Igbos and Ijaws. You cannot be Christian and tribalist or racist at the same time.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 03, 2011
alexleo:

@poster, the first thing is to be born again by praying a sincere prayer, confessing all your sins to God, feel sorry for doing them and ask God to forgive you your sins, promise him that you will not go back, accept Jesus in your heart with faith and you will have this wonderful experience of salvation. Ask the Holy Spirt to take over your life and When He does, nobody will tell you the music you should listen to. He (the Holy Spirit) will guide you into all truths. Light and darkness has no part. Pls bear this in mind.
God bless you.

Amen, my brother. Amen! grin

I do pray every night o. . . .for forgiveness and stuff.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by JeSoul(f): 5:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
alexleo:
nobody will tell you the music you should listen to. He (the Holy Spirit) will guide you into all truths.
  Absolutely spot on.

@poster, its really as simple as that. There are 'gospel' music that you should not listen to, and there are 'secular' music that are an absolute blessing to the spirit/soul. Just because its labeled 'gospel' doesn't mean its good. As you get more and more mature in Christ and tuned in to the Holy Spirit, you'll be able to tell the difference btw what you should/shouldn't listen to, watch on tv, places to go etc.

All in all, when judging about a piece of music, the general criteria I personally use are these:
1- does this music glorify/honor God (or godly principles)?
2- does this music edify my heart, spirit or does it inspire me? what kinds of thoughts, emotions does it evoke in my mind while I listen to it?

You can tell a lot about a person when you see the kind of music they listen to, because it is what you feed your soul that it will grow on.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by e36991: 8:41pm On Feb 03, 2011
JeSoul:

Absolutely spot on.

@poster,

its really as simple as that.

There are 'gospel' music that you should not listen to, and there are 'secular' music that are an absolute blessing to the spirit/soul.

Just because its labeled 'gospel' doesn't mean its good

As you get more and more mature in Christ and tuned in to the Holy Spirit,

you'll be able to tell the difference btw what you should/shouldn't listen to, watch on tv, places to go etc.

All in all, when judging about a piece of music, the general criteria I personally use are these:

1- does this music glorify/honor God (or godly principles)?
2- does this music edify my heart, spirit or does it inspire me? what kinds of thoughts, emotions does it evoke in my mind while I listen to it?

You can tell a lot about a person when you see the kind of music they listen to, because it is what you feed your soul that it will grow on.

@^^^

Watched this the other day but I dont know . . .

Maybe its me or the open & observable display of narcissism in the video that put a downer on this tune featuring Pastor Bimbo Odukoya's son

Let us know what you think of the whole package (i.e. lyrics, montage, video shoot, message, the hook etc)

The hook is infectious I must admit grin

♪ Show yaself x2 ♪ It's cos its only of you, I owe it you . . . God that's why I say thanks yeah . . . ♬

Pastor Jimmy Odukoya featuring Miss Caroline Odukoya "SHOW YA SELF"

[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXAsb6snP-A?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

- i.e. Pastor Bimbo Odukoya's son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXAsb6snP-A?fs=1&hl=en_GB
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by JeSoul(f): 9:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
^my brother how now? smiley

Mehn . . . as for this -
e36991:

Maybe its me or the open & observable display of narcissism in the video that put a downer on this tune featuring Pastor Bimbo Odukoya's son.
Let us know what you think of the whole package (i.e. lyrics, montage, video shoot, message, the hook etc)
  Well, he won't be the first loose canon to claim rights to pastorhood. Zero on all the above.

He's saying how hot and sexy he is, with his gucci glasses and fly clothes, he cannot decide which car from his garage from the BMW to Mercedes he wants to drive, "I'm a dope & hot pastor" he says, he occasionally throws in a "God" & "Jesus" in the lyrics to 'remind' us it is a 'gospel' video. Epic fail on all counts. Can anyone point out anything here that gives glory to God? or edifies your soul? did you learn anything useful? other than to make you lust and covet for the 'riches' that he has?

@POSTER - this video is a prime example of so-called gospel music that is really poison to the soul.

e36691,
what can one say? This is the pop-tart, bling-bling, prosperity infested generation of 'christians' whose depth of maturity is about 1/100th inch thick. They show us by their brazen actions that their grasp of the true gospel is nothing more than a handful of air. Cold air. Its a darn shame. And he cannot even rap self. *insert hiss here*

@All, sorry if I sound harsh . . . its just that people like this that bring disrepute to the name of Christ and mislead many really aggravate me.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by e36991: 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2011
@^^^

"O jo mama ee sha" means literally "The resemblance is there - an almost carbon copy of his mum"

Maybe or maybe not momma's probably turning in her grave with all these antics and demo  smiley

Pastor Jay working on Show Ya Self
[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC9Hzrq67tU?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

Pastor Jay working on Show Ya Self (i.e. Pastor Jimmy Odukoya featuring Miss Caroline Odukoya "SHOW YA SELF"wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC9Hzrq67tU?fs=1&hl=en_GB

PS: My sister I dey ooo, just doing a drive by posting  wink
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by JeSoul(f): 9:30pm On Feb 03, 2011
Something just occured to me from the poster's first line:

Ileke-IdI:

I was listening to drake a few hours ago, and [size=13pt]it[/size] hit me. . . . should I still be listening to those song? Do I have to play holy holy now?

Ileke-idi . . . what do you think was the "it" that hit you? perhaps the spirit already guiding and convicting you?
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by JeSoul(f): 10:03pm On Feb 03, 2011
e36991:

@^^^

Maybe or maybe not momma's probably turning in her grave with all these antics and demo  smiley

Pastor Jay working on Show Ya Self . . . . .
Leave them jare. We will all stand before God and answer for everything we did.

PS: My sister I dey ooo, just doing a drive by posting  wink
Haha, drive-by posting. You should do it more often  smiley

If by any chance 'Pastor' J is reading, you would do well to heed to the words in this real gospel video. Look at your jnr speaking some correct gospel truth:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcMKVmjZFVI?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"[/flash]
Forget about the cash, Forget about the clothes
Forget about the stash, Forget about the dough
Forget about the cars, Forget about the rims
Forget about the stars, Forget about the benz
Forget about the big crib, tryna get rich, the big 64 plenty dough and tryna sip chrys
Forget the cash and chains, that stuff will pass away
And you cant take it with you to your after days
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by LoveKing(m): 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2011
Ileke listen to all kinds of music. You find inspiration in places you never imagine.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 06, 2011
@all
thanks. . . .

JeSoul:

Something just occured to me from the poster's first line:

Ileke-idi . . . what do you think was the "it" that hit you? perhaps the spirit already guiding and convicting you?

LOL, your question reminds me of the spirit possession that Zora Neale Hurston wrote about lol.
Is the spirit leading me? I don't know.

"It" refers to my mind's conciousness. . . .thoughts about my actions. I'm just thinking, if I'm to become a Christian, some things are going to have to change. Just like you can't be a CEO and dress like a hobo.

e36991:

@^^^

Maybe its me or the open & observable display of narcissism in the video that put a downer on this tune featuring Pastor Bimbo Odukoya's son

The hook is infectious I must admit grin

♪ Show yaself x2 ♪ It's cos its only of you, I owe it you . . . God that's why I say thanks yeah . . . ♬

[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXAsb6snP-A?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXAsb6snP-A?fs=1&hl=en_GB

You see, those are the kind of gospel music I'd rather not focus about.

The video is more focused on showcasing material possession than Gospel Inspiration itself. It's like I'm watching another Ludacris video.

well not exactly.

Some people might be more focused on the beat, than the words of the song. While others might be more focused on the words.

When I listen to the likes of Yolanda Adams, I really listen to the words (they have no beats at all, if you noticed lol). As they're inspiring and brilliantly constructed. When I listen to the likes of Lil Wayne/ Usher, I'm more into the beats. Sometimes I dont even know what they're singing about.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 06, 2011
LoveKing:

Ileke listen to all kinds of music. You find inspiration in places you never imagine.

True, but I also need to be cautious HOW I got inspired and WHAT inspired me smiley
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by e36991: 10:59am On Feb 06, 2011
JeSoul:

- contents here were snipped -

FL Gators:

@all
thanks. . . .

LOL, your question reminds me of the spirit possession that Zora Neale Hurston wrote about lol.
Is the spirit leading me? I don't know.

"It" refers to my mind's conciousness. . . .thoughts about my actions. I'm just thinking, if I'm to become a Christian, some things are going to have to change. Just like you can't be a CEO and dress like a hobo.

You see, those are the kind of gospel music I'd rather not focus about.

The video is more focused on showcasing material possession than Gospel Inspiration itself. It's like I'm watching another Ludacris video.

well not exactly.

Some people might be more focused on the beat, than the words of the song. While others might be more focused on the words.

When I listen to the likes of Yolanda Adams, I really listen to the words (they have no beats at all, if you noticed lol).

As they're inspiring and brilliantly constructed. When I listen to the likes of Lil Wayne/Usher, I'm more into the beats.

Sometimes I dont even know what they're singing about.

@Ileke-Idi/FL Gators

GBAM!

Yeah, appreciating the creativities, the message, the lyrical contents, relevance, the deliveries, the beats & hooks, the talent, arrangements etc

and wondering why these arent translated into Gospel genres

JeSoul's music is a rare exception though . . .

Hers is among the few and far in between that merits the status that has ticks in all the boxes
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by KDK(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2011
JeSoul:

If by any chance 'Pastor' J is reading, you would do well to heed to the words in this real gospel video. Look at your jnr speaking some correct gospel truth:

[/i]

@ Jesoul, dat song is tight and the lyrics is pure and have gud message. there are loads of hard core rappers out there like BB Jay,cross movement, etc, no matter the genre, we av christian versions. I am totally against anything dat does not glorify God or holiness.
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Pweety4me(f): 2:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ko easy o!
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by Pweety4me(f): 2:40pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You might be right.

I know those music are bad, but the beat are just catching tongue

Lol! grin
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by e36991: 3:10pm On Feb 06, 2011
For those asking for JeSoul's tunes . . .

Here is Christian for your listening pleasure

- "Those with ears let them hear"

[flash=200,200]http://www.4shared.com/embed/503096157/6530c9be[/flash]

http://www.4shared.com/audio/pEp4UpE0/06_Christian.html
Re: Now That Want To Be A Christian, Should I Stop Listening To Non-gospel Music? by InesQor(m): 6:24pm On Feb 06, 2011
You guys should really check out JeSoul's track as posted by e36991 (it says 1 view so I know y'all havent checked it out yet cheesy  cool ). It was a blessing to me about 1 year ago when she shared it with me, and again right now when e36991 posted it.
http://www.4shared.com/audio/pEp4UpE0/06_Christian.html

Personally I don't listen to only (gospel) Christian songs.

I listen to great clean songs like Beethoven's classical[i] Fur Elise[/i]
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVW8tgGY_w
[/flash]

and this one too
[s](actually I'm also being sneaky, and I hope someone sees this video  wink sad )[/s]
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6luQw2OIk
[/flash]

Not all good songs can be "gospel" (by definition of the word "gospel"wink but make sure its pure [/b]and [b]useful [/b]for your soul. And if it's called gospel, it better be [i][b]pure [/i]and useful [/b]or its just a [b]misnomer (ref: Odukoya's video above).

Nonetheless I love good gospel music  grin like Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir's Happy Birthday Jesus (gotta love the little girl's voice!)
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyXWllz5Ao
[/flash]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jacob And Genetics / Differences Between Celestial Church Of Christ, And Cherubim And Seraphim / Sex And Violence In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.