Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,748 members, 7,806,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? (16247 Views)

Eni Aluko Becomes First Black Female Football Club Owner In Italy (Photos) / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? / Lebron James Says All Players In Liverpool Are His Favorite Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Chuky7(m): 6:26pm On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:
What inspired you to start supporting the Football Club you are currently supporting?

For me, it was sheer emotion. I'm an Arsenal fan. Before the 2006 UEFA Champions League, I had no definite clubside I support. I would always want the underdogs to win even if the odds against them was 100 to 1.

During the first half of the 2006 UCL final, Arsenal seemed to me to be the better side, they had more popular names compared to their opponent, Barca. So I wanted them to lose. It was a bad belle kinda thing. My support for Barcelona in this match was further heightened when Arsenal was a goal up. However, when Lehmann got that unfortunate red card and things started to fall apart for Arsenal, I began to develop a soft spot for them. Quickly in the second half when Barca started leading 2-1 and Arsenal was displaced to the underdog that I had always loved to support, I thought "oh no, this match mustn't end this way".

The rest is history.

They lost the match and I became one of their biggest sympathizers then and a fan till date. I'm actually regretting that now.

How and when did you start supporting your club?

Very nice thread...

Football does bring people together...

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by fuckboys: 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2020
Chelsea and Manchester United In ucl final 2008
John Terry missed the penalty....
Manchester United won the cup and my soul that same night.

I hated how Chelsea fans so much bragged pre-kickoff
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by harjibolar10(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2020
Manchester united all the way.

Although, I fell in love with football the very fist day I watch a complete 90mins match in 2002, that's Korea-Japan final (Brazil vs Germany). The way Delema dribble past Khan twice, was what solidify the love I had for football. Prior to that time, I hardly sit down for 20mins to watch soccer.

Watching Ball afterwards become my thing, without supporting any team specially, until 4years later, when I watched Man Utd vs Liverpool in FA cup (or Carling, I've forgotten which one, but I'm sure not BPL), the lone goal was scored by Riise and technically spell the end for Alan Smith then.

The way The Red devils play that day moved me, hence my support for them, and I never for once regret it

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Greatfullheart: 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
2007/2008 i was in primary school then little by little i grew to love them. Now am a confirm LIVERPOOL FAN FOREVER, #WE'LL NEVER WALK ALONE.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Dazave(m): 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
1996 JUVENTUS when they won the uefa champions league final against ajax .then my dad wanted ajax to win the match because of his love for for kanu nwankwor, finidi gorge and patrick kluivert in the ajax team then but my love for del piero, antonio conte, didier deschamp and di livio made me love juventus to the core.. till date i am still a die hard juventus fan.

1999 MANCHESTER UNITED... when we won the champions league against almighty bayern munich..my elder brother was a die hard bayern munich fan cos of his love for oliver kahn, effenberg, casten jacker and samuel kufour( he go just dey call their name as if tomorrow nor dey)...after the victory of manchester united by solskjaer late strike i decided to support the club all my life nothing can separate me away from machester united.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by zeenaman: 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
Henry Thierry, Arsenal 2015
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by ciencee(m): 8:18pm On Jul 06, 2020
jclave22:
mine was so awkward... I supported random team back in 2008....so one day my friends ask me which club I do support I said no one and they started laughing I felt as if I haven't achieved something they have.... so I do go to football centre to watch matches to decide club I would choose... mehn back then man u was fire.. like wise Barça. but I don't have any feeling to support even chelsea but there fans even push me far away from them... I saw Arsenal and looking at there series of breaking fans heart I just no try reason them.... then I saw the reds... Steven Gerrard caught my love and that funny Reina tho they are not in best form but I still admire them... especially the way there fans chant even when they are losing not like arsenal fans crying like the lost a life contract ....i develop more love to them... so one day I met those my friends and told them I'm a Liverpool fans they laugh at me.. I felt bad... but anytime I see Liverpool Jersey or anything concerning the club it lift my spirit despite they are not in good form.. and note people don't watch there match back then. in football centre you would see Max of 5people , except if is a rival match that's when the crowd stays.... the Fernando Torres gave me joy of a bad day when I remember his solo goals.... my club is historical something many fans dream there club have.... loserpool... you will walk alone... Gerrard slippers.....despite Chelsea fans pushing me away from the club that club still came back and hurt my sweet club in many competition and I hated them more..... up Liverpool epl champ....assenal, womanchester United... manshity oil money...who laugh last laugh best

You laughed once in 30yrs, that one na I'm you dey call best laugh?

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by ciencee(m): 8:22pm On Jul 06, 2020
Dazave:
1996 JUVENTUS when they won the uefa champions league final against ajax .then my dad wanted ajax to win the match because of his love for for kanu nwankwor, finidi gorge and patrick kluivert in the ajax team then but my love for del piero, antonio conte, didier deschamp and di livio made me love juventus to the core.. till date i am still a die hard juventus fan.

1999 MANCHESTER UNITED... when we won the champions league against almighty bayern munich..my elder brother was a die hard bayern munich fan cos of his love for oliver kahn, effenberg, casten jacker and samuel kufour( he go just dey call their name as if tomorrow nor dey)...after the victory of manchester united by solskjaer late strike i decided to support the club all my life nothing can separate me away from machester united.

The truth be say Manchester united na once my team.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by masterflowx(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
Small pikin plenty for this Nairalander forum sha. Anyway, my own was 1999 when I was preparing to write my WAEC. I joined reading with football. Micheal Owen was my mean man in the squad then.

YNWA!!!

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Jokerman(m): 8:37pm On Jul 06, 2020
1997-Man utd
2003- Real Madrid
2018- Juventus
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Denko2721987(m): 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
On the glorious and memorable night of 2005 in Instanbul, I fell in love with Liverpool after they came from behind to beat AC Milan on penalties to win the prestigious UCL for the 5thh time... I fell in love with Liverpool most especially because of their fighting spirit. And although it's really been tough years of loyal support through thick and thin, I do not regret my action of falling in love with a team that doesn't have so much to prove in the game of football. Its been a long time coming and now we enjoying glorious reign ones again... grin
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by benjanny(m): 11:47pm On Jul 06, 2020
I fall in love wit Ac Milan because of Gattuso Gennaro and that was in 2006 after Italy won the world cup in Germany.
Following Ac Milan Facebook page and to be frank they don't post with English language rather they post with Italiano.
That was how I diverted my attention towards supporting Manchester City and that was in eleven years Ago 2009,and my favourite Manchester city player is Pablo Zabaleta
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Btk1986(m): 12:19am On Jul 07, 2020
Man utd 98/99 season shortly before our triumph over Bayern Munich @ Camp Nou in May 1999. Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham & Dwight Yorke were my best buddies then. OGS was also dubbed as the super sub. Gigsy, Becks, Scholes, OGS, Irwin, R. Keane, Butt, Stam, Neville brothers & the great Schmeichel were all phenomenal during that treble winning season.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by BLESSICA: 3:20am On Jul 07, 2020
paulolee:

lolz...d truth is dt i gat i have already given out wat i planned giving to those close to me dt i think needs it more than online dts full of scammers and also i used part to celebrate my bday on Thursday and saved d remaining...me too i de jobless and a hustler like u na....u didnt came early n i gat limited cash right now, pls am sorry, mayb next ti e
No p, I understand
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by emmykey0128(m): 3:36am On Jul 07, 2020
Would have been an arsenal fan because everybody in my area were all arsenal fan because of papilo then, bt the 1999 champions league triumph making United the first English team to win a treble changed my mind, I have never looked back since 1999 the year of the treble, thank God I escaped arsenal lol
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by ksly24(m): 5:58am On Jul 07, 2020
paulolee:

yup....na as d spirit leads me...and whenever i stake like dt de always come good bt na one match de always fck me up.
Wow
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Joemetry(m): 7:53am On Jul 07, 2020
paulolee:

bo wahala bros.......as long as u de play with me....u go surely win with me....i de win all month bt na luck shaa

Thanks again...

Ticket de go green, person wet I instruct to play for me because of my hustle movement de tell me story this morning.

E pain me enter marrows.
Me wet no de fit ever forecast.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by paulolee(m): 8:24am On Jul 07, 2020
Joemetry:

Thanks again...

Ticket de go green, person wet I instruct to play for me because of my hustle movement de tell me story this morning.

E pain me enter marrows.
Me wet no de fit ever forecast.
say watin happen?? e no play am?? yesterday sevilla match wey start am don play already oo...no worries jus add barca win and over 2.5 or napoli away win join am or play d d ticket lai dat bt d moni go drop oo..
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Joemetry(m): 10:06am On Jul 07, 2020
paulolee:

say watin happen?? e no play am?? yesterday sevilla match wey start am don play already oo...no worries jus add barca win and over 2.5 or napoli away win join am or play d d ticket lai dat bt d moni go drop oo..

Exactly watin I wan do.
Playing the ticket like that.., if the rain no gree stop I de enter am go play.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Behindthewheels: 12:19pm On Jul 07, 2020
Liverpool because of Peter Crouch. Euro nation's cup that year.

pls dm me for any Driving job in or around imo state. town service, taxi, company, factory vehicles etc
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Yale9(m): 2:14pm On Jul 07, 2020
Only one club could have featured a
George Best,
Mason Greenwood
Cristiano Ronaldo
Laurent Blanc
Ryan Giggs
Paul Pogba
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Patrice Evra
Marcus Rashford
Gerard Pique
Gabriel Heinze
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Van der sar
Diego Forlan
Japp Stam
Anthony Martial
Wayne Rooney
Gary and Phil Neville
Di Maria
Van Nistelrooy
Van Persie
Roy Keane
Eric Cantona
Steve Bruce
Paul Once
Mark Hughes
De gea
Veron
Saha
Andy Cole
Darren Fletcher
Aaron Wan Bissaka
Hargreaves
Dennis Law
Chicharito
Bobby Charlton
Paul Scholes
Dennis Irwin
Michael Carrick
Bruno Fernande's
J.s Park
Solskjear
Scott Mctominay
Berbatov
Rio Ferdinand
Nani
Dwight Yorke
Vidic
Michael Owen
Carlos Tevez
Henrick Larson.... And a hundred others

Point is.... In every era, there must be personalities that make supporting this very club A WORTHY AND BLESSED DECISION.

Even more luckily for me, since I started supporting this team till date, this team has the highest number of total trophies won in England.

I found out they were the most successful in the English land and I became happier, I found out they were the richest in Britain and I got even happier, I found out Old Trafford was the largest in the country, I grew happier still, I found out about its head to head record against all remaining 19 teams in the EPL and I still couldn't contain my joy.

Since it is ""factual""" that NO TEAM CAN BE IN ITS BEST FORM, ALL THE TIME, Only just few minutes ago, I still realised that even in our period of imperfect form (post-ferguson era). Moyes had silverware, the next man (Van gaal) also had silverware, the next man (mourinho) also had silverware. So every manager recorded his own success.

Guess what.. Ole is set for a long-term management.. Fun fact.. Even on the short term, Pogba is rejuvenated, Bruno is kicking, Greenwood is born, Martial and Rashford are flying, and the entire team are on a cruise..

Oh! You mean we're still in the FA cup and Europa this season? I ALMOST FORGOT.

Manchester United.

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Thunday1005(m): 6:07pm On Jul 08, 2020
Started supporting Chelsea wen Chelsea defeated arsenal in caling Cup final 2007

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

You Are 100% Coming To Chelsea Next Season - Mikel Obi Tells Victor Osimhen(vid) / Cristiano Ronaldo Wins His 2nd Player Of The Month Award In Saudi League (Pix) / Confederations Cup: Italy Vs Brazil (2 - 4) On 22nd June 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.