Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? (16229 Views)

Eni Aluko Becomes First Black Female Football Club Owner In Italy (Photos) / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? / Lebron James Says All Players In Liverpool Are His Favorite Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by feldido(m): 8:19am On Jul 06, 2020
Team: Arsenal
When: 1999
Why: Kanu

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by delkuf(m): 8:19am On Jul 06, 2020
it was in 1999, the champion league final. The match was against Bayern Munich. I cannot forget that match. I don't know much about man utd then. But that match, the way man utd equalized and won that match was fantastic. I just fell in love with man utd since then

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by sencekompis: 8:20am On Jul 06, 2020
ARSENAL FOR EVER, the journey started in 1997 while i was assistant manager in a pub @ oxford circus LONDON,, the pub used to show live matches, Unbelievable Arsene Wenger football ideology and drafting most black players on his starting 11 list got my heart taken forever. TODAY! its hot and cold but all my Male children are gunners. WE R D GUNNERS, interesting trip so far.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Moneywirer: 8:21am On Jul 06, 2020
DoctorOfPoverty:

Arsenal! Win or lose!

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by prizlezzlalasky(f): 8:23am On Jul 06, 2020
[quote author=scylentstorm post=91411991]

Lool. I love this. All for dad. Are you an ardent Chelsea now? [/quo

smiley Ofcourse I am.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Shollay20(m): 8:26am On Jul 06, 2020
I started watching football in 2005, then that time I like seeing sir lex Ferguson on the sideline of the pitch and David Beckham on the pitch. That Is what motivate me.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Holamilekan97(m): 8:26am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting Chelsea in 2005. All thanks to Uncle Segun. I'm in love with Chelsea. Swears shocked

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by budusky05(m): 8:28am On Jul 06, 2020
Since 2001
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by davibid: 8:28am On Jul 06, 2020
Way back 1998/99 UCL final Bayern vs. Manutd, those late goals made me fall in love, it was a unique feeling.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Xbolmax: 8:28am On Jul 06, 2020
I joined Liverpool 2005 because of Steven Gerrard and one of class mate (mukaila) in secondary school, couple with the form Liverpool were in champions league. The love got stronger when will finally won champions league. The comeback was exceptional and great.

YNWA for life

We are the KOPITES

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by jamalnation(m): 8:30am On Jul 06, 2020
it started 2003/2004 (UNBEATEN) season then i was still very young i usually follow my uncle to watch football he was an arsenal fan all the games i watch then arsenal won played very well thats how naturally i became and arsenal fan over 16yrs and still counting. ARSENAL FOR LIFE
#COYG
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by fippycbk(m): 8:30am On Jul 06, 2020
In 99 when Kanu joined arsenal. I became a football fan in 96, that was during the Olympics. Kanu was our golden boy in the tournament so when he joined arsenal, I joined too.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Davidganna10: 8:31am On Jul 06, 2020
Liverpool
FEW WEEKS AFTER UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL
5 September 2005

Saw the greatest match of my life. on may 25 2005, I was send on an errand, on my way I saw halftime replays of of Ac Milan demolishing Liverpool in a bar. Few minutes later while coming back I decided to check the score ( I don't know what pushed me to check because I have concluded that Ac Milan have won) I saw 3-3 I was shocked. So I decided to stay till the end.

Note: I collect better beating for house, because I came back so late, the beating made me to forget about the magic I witnessed.

Fast forward to the Afro mentioned date when I receive a Gerald lazed cloth. The memory was rekindled.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by chocho28: 8:34am On Jul 06, 2020
1999/2000 season was when I started supporting Manchester United. I got registered officially with the club about three years later. Initially, I was captivated by the fact that so many of the world Stars I knew then were playing for Arsenal, such as Viera, Petit, Bergkamp, Davor Sukar, Henry, Overmas, etc. yet United was dominating the English game. This made me fall in love with the team and I've never looked back ever since.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by perdollar(m): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting arsenal in 1999 when I didn't know there was different between national team n club. I happened to fall in love wt Thierry Henry during d 1998 world cup, I didn't see him play again until I heard that kanu is joining d arsenal team. then gbaaaaam, I saw Henry n Kanu in arsenal. that was when I started knowing d differences between club n country

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by EmmyDJourno: 8:38am On Jul 06, 2020
[b]I had started watching football from 1994, but never fancied any club

I simply disliked the regular big teams

Real Madrid, AC Milan, Man United

In 2004, I was in SS3, Arsenal were Invincible and everyone joined the bandwagon, but when Wenger refused to release Kanu early for the AFCON despite Papilo admiring Henry tear teams apart from the bench, I simply disliked them and their manager who had a similar name to the club

In that year's UCL 2nd round Obafemi and Inter beat the Gunners 3-0 at Highbury, only to cost me a bet of 200naira by losing 5-1 at the San Siro

In the 1/4finals, the Gunners were up against Chelsea cheesy

Then the Blues just got a new owner Roman Abramovich, and he bought some of the best players around from Joe Cole to Makelele

The first leg against Arsenal ended 1-1 at the Bridge, and I bet 300naira against the Gunners getting knocked out at Highbury by Chelsea with the fan that ate my 200naira the last time out

It felt stupid, but I went to war that day and Chelsea made me proud by beating Arsenal 2-1

Chelsea lost 5-3 in the semis to Monaco, losing finalist to Jose Mourinho's Porto

Fast forward to the new Season

Mourinho joined, along with Cech and Robben, who alongside Lampard were standout players at that Euro 2004 competition

In that moment I knew I had joined a Big Club

Since then it has been.....Up Chelsea......for life!!! [/b]

4 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by mainaugustine(m): 8:40am On Jul 06, 2020
I think my love for man u started from the days of ps1 I loved playing with man u ..scholes with the shot,Rooney same and many more..plus in boarding house many of my friends were man u fans too so that cemented it and 2007/2008 champions league final watched it with radio..God it made sense plus I like there 4 4 2 style of play..up united
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 06, 2020
E don tey but naa Chelsea....almost joined Arsenal in 2003

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Sebbs(m): 8:42am On Jul 06, 2020
Messi
That was in 2009 UCL
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by thinkmoney(m): 8:45am On Jul 06, 2020
prizlezzlalasky:
Awww, sweet memories.....2012 UCL finals, was still in sec school, Dad and my big cousins (man U fans) where having this heated argument as the boys where gloating and trash talking Chelsea....dad being the only Chelsea fan maintained his stance that the blues will win the match.

I still remember picking interest and also sympathising with my dad as those my cousins wouldn't let my old man be.

Fast forward to kickoff, I just saw the line up of both teams... So many blacks in the Chelsea team and I had a notebook (chemistry) that the coverpage had chelsea players on it. I just went to sit by my popsy, held his palm, He looked at my eyes and I smiled while rubbing my small palm in his ....then I just said the word...."Daddy! We ll win". His response portrayed fear...
"I di sure?"(are you sure?)... I smiled and said yes papa....

It was one hell of a match but I just had that confidence.....lol.. when the magic moment happened .....tears of joy streamed down my face as I watched my dad dancing .....He lifted and hugged me tightly ....that was one of the best memories I had of him. God bless and keep you NNa m...I love you with all I ve got.....Will continue to make you proud.
Hey priceless, I like u already. Can I be your friend?

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by DayDreamer05(m): 8:47am On Jul 06, 2020
May 2008, in Moscow.

The Reds sealed their third European truimph, that was 50 years after the Munich Air Disaster.

I've to confess that day was memorable and vividly clear in my memory. With the likes of Ryan Giggs, Nani, Vidic, Evra, Ji Sung Park, Van Dar Sar, CR7, Berbatov, Scholes, Rooney, Anderson, Carrick, O'shea amongst others making me proud on that memorable day.

#Unitedfan #Bloodisred
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by DPricey1(f): 8:47am On Jul 06, 2020
I became a Chelsea fan in 2009.

I've always loved football but mum wouldn't allow me go watch at viewing centres.
So I usually wait up for my brother to come back and gist me.
On this occasion, it was Barca vs. Chelsea (UCL semi final), my brother came back, I asked him how it went, and he burst into tears.

He kept saying he'll never forgive Ovrebo.
I had pity on him and on Chelsea.

No one deserves such injustice so I gave all my love to Chelsea on that day.

Thankfully, I gained admission the next year and was free to go watch matches since then

4 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Original4u(m): 8:47am On Jul 06, 2020
Man u. and it was because of Ruud Van Nistelrooy. 99/2000 season when the Dutch man was banging goals every now and then for man u.

Commentators were always shouting and screaming his name ruuuuuuuuud vannnnn niiiiiiiiiiisssssssteeellllrrrroyyyyyyyyyyyy. and on and on. He was always a joy to watch. Intelligent and focused. He got me attracted to Man u till date.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Mathewi1414(m): 8:48am On Jul 06, 2020
manchester united 2006

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Ugaboy: 8:49am On Jul 06, 2020
ugochukwufrenzy:
Hala Madrid bro..ive been a Madrid active fan since 2005 and I have never regretted a moment of it
even when ronaldo left us, my guys were like ur team has fallen and it time u switch. switch ke, i supported 'em b4 ronaldo arrival, how can i give up on my em.
HALA MADRID

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Joefat: 8:49am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting Chelsea back in 1999, back then I was in JSS 3 and i played for my school then and our team coach do told us that, we should tried to watched advance football, that it will keep our games and abilities up. Then i starting to watch any match's that comes my way, one day, I went to watched ball as usual and then i saw this guy Gianfranco Zola, a wonderful left footer. I so much loved him. Then i made up my mind that from today, I'll be watching this team because how Gianfranco Zola played.

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Petersamuel8(m): 8:49am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting Chelsea fc since 2008 before champions league final between Chelsea vs Man utd

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by jclave22(m): 8:50am On Jul 06, 2020
mine was so awkward... I supported random team back in 2008....so one day my friends ask me which club I do support I said no one and they started laughing I felt as if I haven't achieved something they have.... so I do go to football centre to watch matches to decide club I would choose... mehn back then man u was fire.. like wise Barça. but I don't have any feeling to support even chelsea but there fans even push me far away from them... I saw Arsenal and looking at there series of breaking fans heart I just no try reason them.... then I saw the reds... Steven Gerrard caught my love and that funny Reina tho they are not in best form but I still admire them... especially the way there fans chant even when they are losing not like arsenal fans crying like the lost a life contract ....i develop more love to them... so one day I met those my friends and told them I'm a Liverpool fans they laugh at me.. I felt bad... but anytime I see Liverpool Jersey or anything concerning the club it lift my spirit despite they are not in good form.. and note people don't watch there match back then. in football centre you would see Max of 5people , except if is a rival match that's when the crowd stays.... the Fernando Torres gave me joy of a bad day when I remember his solo goals.... my club is historical something many fans dream there club have.... loserpool... you will walk alone... Gerrard slippers.....despite Chelsea fans pushing me away from the club that club still came back and hurt my sweet club in many competition and I hated them more..... up Liverpool epl champ....assenal, womanchester United... manshity oil money...who laugh last laugh best

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Nathphil(m): 8:50am On Jul 06, 2020
Ac Milan the rest nah history

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by perdollar(m): 8:51am On Jul 06, 2020
supercase1:
I supported warri wolves when they would the UEFA champions league in 1992
this combo is too strong for ur mental health. u can take only weed but pls don't add poo inhalation, tramadol, codeine n ice again

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by oostin: 8:51am On Jul 06, 2020
Basically I've always had two teams, AC Milan and Chelsea.

Started supporting AC Milan in 1988-1989 thereabouts after watching football Italia (Serie A was far and away the best league in the world then and AC Milan was the best team in Serie A).

Started following Chelsea in 1996 when my favourite player, Ruud Gullit, left AC Milan to join Chelsea.

Now I also follow Barcelona basically because of Lionel Messi.

3 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Shakathezulu1: 8:52am On Jul 06, 2020
Nazgul:
2003 Manchester United. I was in ss3 then
Mine was 2003 also. Ole Gunnar made me love Manchester United,baba dey always score during Champions league games. Still on still,I go ever dey rep the box 18 assassin(Ruud Van Nistelrooy)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

“l Will Be Free From FIFA Ban In 2024 – Samson Siasia / Chierika Ukogu To Represent Nigeria In Rowing, Olympics / You Are 100% Coming To Chelsea Next Season - Mikel Obi Tells Victor Osimhen(vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.