Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? (16230 Views)

Eni Aluko Becomes First Black Female Football Club Owner In Italy (Photos) / What Made You Start Supporting The Football Team You Support? / Lebron James Says All Players In Liverpool Are His Favorite Football Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Truetalk3139: 8:53am On Jul 06, 2020
Ac Milan 2004, after Liverpool came from 3 goals down and the great Shevchenko lost his penalty, i cried that night but Kaka made me proud in 2007.

Forza Milan forever!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Temysteve(m): 8:55am On Jul 06, 2020
prizlezzlalasky:
Awww, sweet memories.....2012 UCL finals, was still in sec school, Dad and my big cousins (man U fans) where having this heated argument as the boys where gloating and trash talking Chelsea....dad being the only Chelsea fan maintained his stance that the blues will win the match.

I still remember picking interest and also sympathising with my dad as those my cousins wouldn't let my old man be.

Fast forward to kickoff, I just saw the line up of both teams... So many blacks in the Chelsea team and I had a notebook (chemistry) that the coverpage had chelsea players on it. I just went to sit by my popsy, held his palm, He looked at my eyes and I smiled while rubbing my small palm in his ....then I just said the word...."Daddy! We ll win". His response portrayed fear...
"I di sure?"(are you sure?)... I smiled and said yes papa....

It was one hell of a match but I just had that confidence.....lol.. when the magic moment happened .....tears of joy streamed down my face as I watched my dad dancing .....He lifted and hugged me tightly ....that was one of the best memories I had of him. God bless and keep you NNa m...I love you with all I ve got.....Will continue to make you proud.
I started supporting Manchester City in 2010 because I love the sky blue jersey, style of play and also my love for special players like David Silva (El_mago), Kun Aguero.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Shakathezulu1: 8:56am On Jul 06, 2020
Original4u:

Man u. and it was because of Ruud Van Nistelrooy. 99/2000 season when the Dutch man was banging goals every now and then for man u.

Commentators were always shouting and screaming his name ruuuuuuuuud vannnnn niiiiiiiiiiisssssssteeellllrrrroyyyyyyyyyyyy. and on and on. He was always a joy to watch. Intelligent and focused. He got me attracted to Man u till date.
Check your stats again.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by JasperVII(m): 8:56am On Jul 06, 2020
I've been a fan of Manchester United since I was a child. My parents and brothers told me that my favourite player then was Van Nistelroy who I called "Ban Ban Nistelroy" . I grew up loving Cristiano Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov etc. Such sweet memories

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Tayor23(m): 8:59am On Jul 06, 2020
unibenakpos:
Na 2006
when Arsenal still dey try.

I'm still shocked by their weak performance.
I have been a die hard fan since 2000.Kanu and Arsene Wenger made me fell in love with this great team...I'm a proud arsenal fan and my love and affection will keep growing for this team until I'm not breathing anymore..
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by rapid101(m): 9:02am On Jul 06, 2020
Sheikh Mansour purchased the Citizens in 2008... and has transformed the club into a European powerhouse

since den I Ve loved city and never turn back

though I still like d likes of Madrid, juve and kano pillars grin

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Tayor23(m): 9:02am On Jul 06, 2020
lordkay10:
Arsenal since 1997
OG

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Perfectbeing(m): 9:05am On Jul 06, 2020
Red has always been my favorite color and Man Utd was the first club I knew that wore red jersey so I became their fan..

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Calicoe: 9:05am On Jul 06, 2020
Started supporting Chelsea the year roman bought the club. Chelsea stopped the man utd/arsenal domination then.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by jamael(m): 9:06am On Jul 06, 2020
prizlezzlalasky:
Awww, sweet memories.....2012 UCL finals, was still in sec school, Dad and my big cousins (man U fans) where having this heated argument as the boys where gloating and trash talking Chelsea....dad being the only Chelsea fan maintained his stance that the blues will win the match.

I still remember picking interest and also sympathising with my dad as those my cousins wouldn't let my old man be.

Fast forward to kickoff, I just saw the line up of both teams... So many blacks in the Chelsea team and I had a notebook (chemistry) that the coverpage had chelsea players on it. I just went to sit by my popsy, held his palm, He looked at my eyes and I smiled while rubbing my small palm in his ....then I just said the word...."Daddy! We ll win". His response portrayed fear...
"I di sure?"(are you sure?)... I smiled and said yes papa....

It was one hell of a match but I just had that confidence.....lol.. when the magic moment happened .....tears of joy streamed down my face as I watched my dad dancing .....He lifted and hugged me tightly ....that was one of the best memories I had of him. God bless and keep you NNa m...I love you with all I ve got.....Will continue to make you proud.
Lol. Similar thing. Same 2012, was in school preparing for WAEC exams. Chelsea were playing against Barcelona. When Torres scored that second goal, I really felt emotional and began to support Chelsea. Although I didn't watch the match, but we were following it on goal.com then. Some of my classmates jumped the fence to watch that match and were narrating the experience to us. Lampard throw-way face pass, Terry's red card, Penalty miss etc.

A great experience that I still carry with me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by EverGlorious(m): 9:07am On Jul 06, 2020
In the year 2006, my big bro bought our first PS2 and first game we played was soccer (winning eleven). He chose Man Red for me and first goal I scored was with C. Ronaldo, a sweet header from corner kiss...and then my dear friends was when I fell in love with Manchester United! grin

Man U for life!!! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by COUSIN1279(m): 9:08am On Jul 06, 2020
Chelsea: it's because of that hot-drink wey dem the call am chelsea London dry gin.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by MichaelBukamzy(m): 9:08am On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:

Hala Madrid, bro. You didn't make the wrong choice.
hala madrid y nada mas. My love for real madrid is everlasting

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by MichaelBukamzy(m): 9:09am On Jul 06, 2020
Lovelive:
Raul Gonzalez

All hail "Hala Madrid" !
y nada mas
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Decimus: 9:12am On Jul 06, 2020
scylentstorm:
What inspired you to start supporting the Football Club you are currently supporting?

For me, it was sheer emotion. I'm an Arsenal fan. Before the 2006 UEFA Champions League, I had no definite clubside I support. I would always want the underdogs to win even if the odds against them was 100 to 1.

During the first half of the 2006 UCL final, Arsenal seemed to me to be the better side, they had more popular names compared to their opponent, Barca. So I wanted them to lose. It was a bad belle kinda thing. My support for Barcelona in this match was further heightened when Arsenal was a goal up. However, when Lehmann got that unfortunate red card and things started to fall apart for Arsenal, I began to develop a soft spot for them. Quickly in the second half when Barca started leading 2-1 and Arsenal was displaced to the underdog that I had always loved to support, I thought "oh no, this match mustn't end this way".

The rest is history.

They lost the match and I became one of their biggest sympathizers then and a fan till date. I'm actually regretting that now.

How and when did you start supporting your club?

You made the right choice and i must say you have a spectacular insight. What happened in that match has been the story of Arsenal's history since then. So keep enjoying what you like.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by saintneo(m): 9:12am On Jul 06, 2020
Prior to 2005, I just liked watching Beckham, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Kanu, the Galacticos, Okocha, etc; until I watched Liverpool vs Leverkusen, then Liverpool vs Juventus, then I started liking Liverpool. The Milan Baros goal against Chelsea seeing the blues cry made me smile. Against AC Milan I knew was supporting an underdog, with 3 goals at first half I pledged my loyalty to Liverpool; suddenly out of nowhere, captain Steven Gerrard commenced to the comeback; at this point I fell in love.

YNWA!

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Ygrette(f): 9:12am On Jul 06, 2020
A305:
Interesting thread.

I guess my love affair with Chelsea fc started in 2005/2006 after I briefly flirted with Bacelonia FC.

I still love Chelsea till data and my daughter is gonna be named Chelsea. I love Roman Abramovic too.

I'm naming my daughter Chelsea too. Can't post my defining moment on an anonymous forum cos I've narrated it to so many people. Lol.

4 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by UDUJ(m): 9:15am On Jul 06, 2020
delkuf:
it was in 1999, the champion league final. The match was against Bayern Munich. I cannot forget that match. I don't know much about man utd then. But that match, the way man utd equalized and won that match was fantastic. I just fell in love with man utd since then

God bless you bro. This was the exact match that made me fall in love with Manchester United
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by prizlezzlalasky(f): 9:16am On Jul 06, 2020
Fineboy444:
to
Who scored the winning goal?

D Drogba of course.. he scored the first equaliser , mata missed a penalty, cech saved from Olic, Ashley cole levelled up before DD scored the winner.....

Worthy of mentions are Luiz was exceptional, Kalou, Lampard and Torres ....their defensive and calm approach frustrated Bayern who was the better and home side.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by yetunsbay(m): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2020
That year I couldn't remember when Pepsi took their talent hunts to Manchester United. Since then blood has been Red

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Zakarisammy(m): 9:18am On Jul 06, 2020
I started supporting Arsenal because of their young players back then.
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by YoungAncient1: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2020
Chelsea since 1998, I was young and skinny and they called me flo after Tore Andre Flo because I was an easy going flair type of striker in my U-10 club site.

I also loved Leeds united for their jersey color then.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Sleekmilan01(m): 9:19am On Jul 06, 2020
I was initially a man u fan cuz I had this jersey of Beckham then..fast forward to 2006 when Mikel moved to Chelsea and dad being the only Chelsea fan in the street,I just opted to join and my love for blue intensified,since 2006 till eternity I will always be a Chelsea fan........my favorite moment was beating barca in semi-finals of 2012 UCL and going on to win the trophy...I still share tears of joy watching the replays All over again

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by pat077: 9:21am On Jul 06, 2020
Officially a Chelsea fan in 2004 after the arrival of the special one.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by unibenakpos(m): 9:22am On Jul 06, 2020
Tayor23:
I have been a die hard fan since 2000.Kanu and Arsene Wenger made me fell in love with this great team...I'm a proud arsenal fan and my love and affection will keep growing for this team until I'm not breathing anymore..
there was a time I threw away all my arsenal jersey,
the club they give unnecessary pressure.
but now when Arsenal lose or win I will still put on my jersey... for watford to still get fans. we are good
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Kyngfarabale1(m): 9:22am On Jul 06, 2020
flexyrule:
The Blues since 2006... Till death do us part.

I love Chelsea for no reason.
I'm not like them other plastic fans that love them teams cuz they winning, and desert them when they start losing..
It is either it is blue or blue!
2006 also but elder bros made me love Chelsea because he always buy anything Chelsea for

from Jersey to wrist band to socks etc then I love Chelsea till date
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by sylve11: 9:23am On Jul 06, 2020
Mine is Ryan Giggs tearing them apart since 1995.................. and that wonderful solo FA cup goal against Arsenal. cool

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by prizlezzlalasky(f): 9:24am On Jul 06, 2020
hefelove:

Am I the only one that got emotional with this? I be wan cry o.

Make i talk my own. Those days of AC Milan. Chaiii I so much love Milan, My love For Pirlo Seedorf, Shevchenko and Kaka no be here, I knew Chelsea then, even though i knew Madrid too and I so much hated Barcelona because of Ronaldinho grin That guy use Chelsea and Milan Eyes see things grin I started supporting Chelsea when we knock out Arsenal in the Champions League I think it was in 2004 quarter final, my clubs where Milan and Chelsea but na Chelsea
be the Number 1

Lol.....that's how it is. My daddy � my hero.

1 Like

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by DelphiOracle(m): 9:27am On Jul 06, 2020
I got to know ManU in 1999 when they won the champions league. I wanted to take them as my favourite club but I don't want to follow the crowd so I choose Liverpool till date YNWA.

Italian league, my first love was Juventus just because of their name old lady of juve. But when Obafemi joined Inter Milan I switch my support for them till date.

Spanish league, Real Madrid right from the days of Zidane, Figo , Ronaldo etc.

Nigerian premier league, Enyimba/ Insurance of Benin
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by AmDayo: 9:31am On Jul 06, 2020
paulolee:
remember back then i was a millan fan and enjoyed watching millan in ma dad's viewing center back then but i jus lacked the zeal and excitement watching them because their matches seems boring at a time and mayb it because its only ucl i do see them but not until i watched a Barcelona match and fell madly in love with gaucho..
gaucho was just too good, his endless skills, crazy passes, funny body faints and most importantly that ever smiling face with his big teeths and people even said he is using jazz and a magician back den..
i enjoyed watching him tru out the ucl games dt barca won arsernal, d way he dribbled and embarrassed dt millan mafian gattuso and dt crazy dancing goal he scored chelsea, even if he was silent in d final...gaucho won my heart to barca and messi cemented it till now and still happy i choosed them....
in other news- same inter wey win 750k for me last week wen playing away naim still cut my 530 ticket last nite in their home and miss p.k join....
wat i learnt is dt "Ticket wey wan cut go cut" bt dt loss pain me badly n didn't sleep last nite, wunt forgive lautaro unless he moves to barca..

Bro abeg dash me 1k abeg, na God I use beg you . Things are just too tight for me.
311 276 2806 first bank
Temidayo E Amoo
Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by greypencils: 9:32am On Jul 06, 2020
I used to watch EPL highlights on TV then. I fell in love with Man Utd in 98/99 because it was the first and only foreign team with two black men as their frontmen banging in goals week in and week out. I just loved the poetry in movement and execution that was Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. That was it for me.

2 Likes

Re: Why And When Did You Start Supporting Your Favorite Football Club? by Ryocaj(m): 9:33am On Jul 06, 2020
AC Milan, 2006

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

“l Will Be Free From FIFA Ban In 2024 – Samson Siasia / Chierika Ukogu To Represent Nigeria In Rowing, Olympics / You Are 100% Coming To Chelsea Next Season - Mikel Obi Tells Victor Osimhen(vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.