Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. (17912 Views)

A Plea For Peace Between The Igbo & Yoruba / Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
I would like for Obigbo in particular to be explained to me. I'm curious as to how that particular place got that name. What is the meaning of "Igbo" by the way?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 9:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo loves to talk before even thinking. Look small bwoi, next time do your research before coming here to tell us anything coz you are dealing with people on your low level of intellect. How can question the validity of an Igbo or the meaning of it when I can easily sell you to slave traders right in front and you won't even know what just hit until they budle ur arse away?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 9:33pm On Feb 06, 2011
*not*
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by EzeUche2(m): 9:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
The OP has never lived in Nigeria, nor does he know how to construct proper sentences in his "native" tongue. That is why we shouldn't take this person seriously.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 9:40pm On Feb 06, 2011
Chinyen, what is the meaning of Ngwa?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Afam4eva(m): 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2011
udezue:

Ngwa means oya. i'm not sure though cos the pronunciation sounds kinda different.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Ngwa means oya. i'm not sure though cos the pronunciation sounds kinda different.
That's what most people say about my clan's name, but that's not the meaning. It's good you noticed the pronunciation difference. Ngwa (HH) & Ngwa (HL) are not the same.

udezue:

Ngwa (HL), my people's ethnonym means.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 9:47pm On Feb 06, 2011
@Afam4eva, I know wenne mana "Ngwa" (Oya) is not pronounced the same way "Ngwa" (the clan) is pronounced hence I am sure "oya" is not the right answer.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:50pm On Feb 06, 2011
I'm still curious about Obigbo, if anyone has any real information.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 9:56pm On Feb 06, 2011
Alright @ chinyen.

Please where is Ikengawo? LOL

Come and answer Chinyen's question.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by kcjazz(m): 10:03pm On Feb 06, 2011
Maybe places like the word "Anambra" was a British creation, derived from "Oma Mbala"river which they couldn't pronounce angry but the people are not their creation.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by asha80(m): 10:05pm On Feb 06, 2011
mehn ikengawo too dey like yarn cigar.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by amazonia(m): 1:11am On Feb 07, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I'm still curious about Obigbo, if anyone has any real information.
Obigbo could mean one of two things. Depending on what compounded Igbo.

Which could be Obi-Igbo meaning A clan of an Igbo leader.
Or Obo-Igbo meaning the Side (hand)of Igbo/the effort of Igbo.
Obo[H,L].
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ojiofor: 1:36am On Feb 07, 2011
@chinenyen all u got to do is research obi-igbo/oyi-igbo you'll find answers to your sometimes silly questions.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:30am On Feb 07, 2011
Ojiofor:

@chinenyen all u got to do is research obi-igbo/oyi-igbo you'll find answers to your sometimes silly questions.
I have, and I have not come across anything giving me the information I'm specifically looking for. Pray tell though, is there something you know? Do you have answers to my 'silly' questions?

amazonia:

Obigbo could mean one of two things. Depending on what compounded Igbo.

Which could be Obi-Igbo meaning A clan of an Igbo leader.
Or                     Obo-Igbo meaning the Side (hand)of Igbo/the effort of Igbo.
Obo[H,L].
Is that "Obo" pronounced "oh-boh" or "aw-baw"? I'm also very interested in the tonal construction of the ethnonym.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by sage(m): 3:05am On Feb 07, 2011
The original poster was not even born or raised in Nigeria, so WTF is he talking about
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by EzeUche2(m): 3:08am On Feb 07, 2011
sage:

The original poster was not even born or raised in Nigeria, so WTF is he talking about

Exactly! I wonder if he has ever been to Nigeria.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by amazonia(m): 3:18am On Feb 07, 2011
sage:

ChinenyeN:

I have, and I have not come across anything giving me the information I'm specifically looking for. Pray tell though, is there something you know? Do you have answers to my 'silly' questions?
Is that "Obo" pronounced "oh-boh" or "aw-baw"? I'm also very interested in the tonal construction of the ethnonym.

Yes it's [oh-boh] which means hand.

If you are talking about Ovbigbo that Edo call single Igbo individual ? some Igbo hear this word as obigbo
which is wrong, For plural of ovbigbo is ivbigbo. Igbo people
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 3:26am On Feb 07, 2011
Ikengawo is Chinenye's brother. smiley
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by EzeUche2(m): 3:27am On Feb 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

grin grin grin
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 3:33am On Feb 07, 2011
I think there are towns called Igbo Eze and Igbo Etiti in Enugu.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:34am On Feb 07, 2011
amazonia:

Yes it's [oh-boh] which means hand.

If you are talking about Ovbigbo that Edo call single Igbo individual ? some Igbo hear this word as obigbo
which is wrong, For plural of ovbigbo is ivbigbo. Igbo people
Oh okay, and no, I was talking about the place "obigbo" in Rivers state.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Jen33(m): 4:17am On Feb 07, 2011
The various kingdoms, city-states and villages were not ''always fighting each other'' before the whites arrived.

That's another colonial invention.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Afam4eva(m): 5:41am On Feb 07, 2011
Ikengawo don pick race.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by seanet02: 7:04am On Feb 07, 2011
Do you people know what OBO means in YORUBA language? Ask Ileke-idi
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by fstranger6: 7:06am On Feb 07, 2011
seanet02:

Do you people know[b] what OBO means in YORUBA language[/b]? Ask Ileke-idi

I dont know Bros

What is it? Does it mean Monkey?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by seanet02: 7:23am On Feb 07, 2011
@fstranger, it means where you come out from
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Nobody: 7:27am On Feb 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

I suppose this is a bad thing? undecided

I'd rather trust his words than the likes of most Igbocentric posters on here undecided
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by fstranger6: 7:47am On Feb 07, 2011
seanet02:

@fstranger, it means where you come out from

Mouth?

My mother vomited me live

So OBO means mouth in Yoruba? Who knew?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 9:03am On Feb 07, 2011
FL Gators:

I suppose this is a bad thing? undecided

I'd rather trust his words than the likes of most Igbocentric posters on here undecided

Don't worry, you'll listen to frogs too.   undecided
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by olaolabiy: 11:44am On Feb 07, 2011
fstranger6:

Mouth?

My mother vomited me live

So OBO means mouth in Yoruba? Who knew?

You no go kill me on this forum, Stranger grin grin
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by playmode(m): 12:26pm On Feb 07, 2011
@Poster , I commend you for having the courage to bring this up. What you have written makes for some very interesting thinking. I never really thought about the origins of our tribes but you do make a lot of sense with your argument. That is not to say that you are entirely correct but don’t let these hypertensive Nairalanders derail you. I like your style on this thread, you are not a “follow follow zombie”. Just like me, i don’t come to nairaland to make friends, I speak my mind and everyone else can go jump in a lake.

@The rest of you.

This is an educative forum, this guy created this thread stating what he believes, if you believe different you can easily point him in the right directions. What erks me about Nigerians especially in forums like this is our inability to leave behind our baboonistic behaviour and enter a conversation without first throwing insults or calling someone a “small boi”

It just shows the village mentality of many nairalanders. Some of you made valid points but what I want you guys to explain to me is when were these names created and by who?

Yoruba
Igbo
Akwukwu Igbo (Delta State)
Obigbo (Rivers State)
Etiti Igbo (Imo State)
Igbo Ukwu (Anambra State)

This is a simple question (no insults necessary), I did not ask you to tell me the meaning , I simply asked you to tell me when and by whom these names were created.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Katsina: Buhari Upbeat, Atiku Counting On Yar’adua Connection / What Has Nigeria Achieved So Far? / VP Osinbajo And Wife Attend 2017 Aso Villa Christmas Concert - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.