Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

$120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? (55352 Views)

Nigerians In Ghana Decry Exploitation As Govt Imposes $120 For SIM Card Registra / Widow, Son Cry, Beg As They Win Bid To Buy Back Their Car For 450,000 / Lady About To Leave Nigeria Becomes Insane At Lagos Airport (Pix, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by sharpman1(m): 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
seighapaul:

So, a black youth from a universally recognised "shit hole" Country will migrate to a developed country and miraculously start earning 5k-10k dollars monthly. Guy, dem never tell you the koko. Get ready to be doing menial/odd jobs for 5-10 years b4 you will accustom yourself to the new reality and if God smiles at you... you could start earning that 10k monthly

Lol. You don't know what you are saying.

I am a black youth and migrated in August from what you call a "shit hole" country.
I don't even have green card yet.....just an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
It took me 4 months to get the EAD and i started work within a month of getting the EAD. Your 5 to 10 years is a fallacy. Only for illegal immigrants.
I am not doing a menial job.
I earn that range of 5k to 10k monthly and the job is even almost an entry level role....imagine if i change jobs after six months of US experience.

Guy, that koko they told you is not really the koko.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by dingbang(m): 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
450,000 naira salary ..

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Goodvibes007: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Judolisco(m): 4:52pm On Jul 10, 2020
gimakon:

pls bro, can i know why??
u r asking why ur friend shouldn't leave dis country... Are u a Nigerian?
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by 4gunners(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2020
soleexx:
He needs to leave immidetialy, Country like United States, Canada and The UK pay extremely high to programmer and developer with high level skills...

Let him apply for work Visa or find his way there and apply with a permit... The pay is crazy
Germany is waiting for him.
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2020
sharpman1:

I am a black youth and migrated in August from what you call a "shit hole" country.
I don't even have green card yet.....just an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
It took me 4 months to get the EAD and i started work within a month of getting the EAD. Your 5 to 10 years is a fallacy. Only for illegal immigrants.
I earn that range of 5k to 10k monthly and the job is even almost an entry level role....imagine if i change jobs after six months of US experience.

Thank you for this comment. So many of them have a very hopeless poverty mentality. People are getting jobs with visa sponsorship out of shit shithole daily.

4 Likes

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by KosiGee(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2020
Stewart883:

Don't mind the fool. I just can understand how Nigerians think.... I doubt what the op said. Bloody liar

Don’t be limited by your own myopic mind. A player at Plateau United on a N180,000 a month living in a nice flat would even doubt that a Bukayo Saka would be earning N15m a week. I do t want to mention Ighalo cos such a player would punch, scream and call you a liar.

If you’ve got talent, educated with at least a bachelors in relevant jobs, you should leave Nigeria if you secure a good job abroad...by that I mean the Uk, USA, Canada and Australia....yes you’ll pay tax and rent bla bla bla...but your life will never remain the same as it was in Nigeria with the power outages, bribery and police extortions while driving on the roads etc.

A friend who was earning less than N2m per annum in Lagos is now working and earning about £28,000 a year with opportunities to develop and make his life better.

6 Likes

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Genea(f): 4:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
martineverest:
450k salary is enough for me
Its not.... Nigeria ain't getting better, in 2015 a dollar was 150naira but now its worse and it's going to get worse with our increasing debt profile, unemployment and nonchalant attitude of our govt creating policies that are chasing multinationals away e.g Opay.
Trust me, I'd leave even with 1M salary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Badonasty(m): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2020
450k salary joor
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Goodvibes007: 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2020
Genea:
Its not.... Nigeria ain't getting better, in 2015 a dollar was 150naira but now its worse and it's going to get worse with our increasing debt profile, unemployment and nonchalant attitude of our govt creating policies that are chasing multinationals away e.g Opay.
Naija must be very terrible now Sha. Na so so evil report from the country.
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by martineverest(m): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2020
Genea:
that opay saga was so stupid.lagos governor is killing investors

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Bossman25(m): 4:58pm On Jul 10, 2020
You are speaking the truth joor!
They are saying house rent in the U.S is expensive.
Feeding is expensive, he won't be able to save money. Bunch of lies.
I have my friends that are living large in the U.S, if it is the U.K then I understand.

Nigga reason me job over there jare... I no mind Admin Assistant self....the pay per annum after checking some recruiting agencies in gbasky jare.

[Qquote author=sharpman1 post=91579461]

[/quote]
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Gloriagee(f): 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
I'm curious...why is he regretting it?

Goodvibes007:
A friend left a 900k per month job in Nigeria for Canada, he is regretting it a bit though.

Different strokes for different people. One man's meat is another's poison.
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by ekerintee: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
It takes time to adapt to a new environment,depending on the person occupation. In foreign countries,some laws favour their own people ,some jobs are not given to foreigners.imagine somebody who has a good office job in naija and going abroad to do factory work because he can't get an office work.in some occupation,your Nigerian certificate are not recognized and u may have to go to school again or do some short courses .but in the area of information tech( programming) .it is what you can do that matters and not your certificate,it's quiet easy to fit into the society but in other occupation,it may take time and may not be possible. Age also matters too.when two people apply for a job,u don't expect them to give a foreigner if both of u are qualified and only one vacancy.most Nigerians will not tell you the kind of job they are doing abroad ,they will not tell you how they are working for several hours doing tedious job and paying heavy taxes

quote author=Goodvibes007 post=91578108]A friend left a 900k per month job in Nigeria for Canada, he is regretting it a bit though.

Different strokes for different people. One man's meat is another's poison.[/quote]
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by SarkinYarki: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
gimakon:
A quick question I want to ask and know hearts of peeps.

I have a badass programmer pal. Full stack engineer. Recently did a job for someone, and made some real good cash. Like up to $120,000. The money came from building software for 3 microfinance banks in the country.
He earns over 450,000 Naira as salary here in Nigeria as well. We got talking yesterday and he's telling me he cannot stay in Nigeria, that he's resigning immediately after lock down for airports are over.

His argument is 450,000 Nigerian Naira equals
1,162.97 United States Dollar, wheras in the US / Canada for instance, the salary is way higher.

Question is what do you think ?

Tell him to come work for me ..I could make him really really rich
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by flyingpig: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
Goodvibes007:

You know, as humans, we all have hope and keep praying for the best. Before we live Nigeria, we have this dream of once I land ehhh, employers go dey rush me.

It's not after he realised that things weren't going as planned and dreamed that he started considering the school option. I myself went back to school after I could get something nice. After months of research and planning, I chose a very good program. The schooling took 16 months. Coupled with my past work experience and the schooling, my first job immediately after graduation was $86,000 per year without even considering all the juicy pension and other benefits that adds like an extra $30k per year. I even got the job a month before graduation. Now I am at over $100k.

Funny how all I got was rejection before I went back to school. That was why [b]he contacted me to advise on his consideration of going back to s[/b]chool.

I'm sure you have him your seal of approval. I'm sure you also advised him to take time to research well just as you did.

Finally, these foreign countries trust their own education better.
Your education was Canadian too?
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by ijayaone: 5:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
120kusd dats about 40milli ,wetin i dey travel for,na to explore to other things here ,wen am super rich travelling go be like holiday
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by GloShare(m): 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2020
sharpman1:

This your statement is full of ignorance.

Earning $10k is a lot of cash.

Most US residents don't even earn close to $10k monthly (reported median wage for 2019 was less than 50k per year).

Except the fellow is a spendthrift, you can easily save 5k from a monthly income of 10k even with taxes, rent/mortgage and student loans.....and saving 5k monthly is saving a lot of money.

A salary of 10k may put one in the 40% tax bracket.

That means just about 6k remaining.
House rent 1,500
Insurance and other utilities 1k
Feeding and unforeseen expenses for a single person $400.

So. The savings may not be as much as you think.

Dont forget, the 10k job is not guaranteed.

2 Likes

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Bossman25(m): 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2020
Don't mind them, they are lying.
The U.S or Canada those 2/places is the best bet. You will live large.
If you travel to the U.K then you will struggle a little bit.
But in the U.S or Canada.....you will live very well.

Gloriagee:

2 Likes

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by mamatwiny(f): 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2020
Mitocyan:

I know someone went to Canada and that left a 1.2m per month job in nigeria and had already built his house in Nigeria and he is not regreting it. In fact he regrets he didn't leave earlier. So we need some nuance to this your friend's story.

That is why it is good for ppl to research well b4 moving. You need to check if your skill is in demand, who are your competitors etc. Do a certificate course or bridging course in that country, it will go a long way in getting you settled on time. You can also switch profession to the ones in demand in that country. Chart your course and give yourself timelines. Don't settle for call centre jobs and waiter jobs when you can get certificates and get better jobs. Make sure your CV is in the style used in that country, if you can't do it, get a professional resume writter to look at it and pass it through the Human resource software and rewrite it for him.

Most importantly, never say never.

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Gloriagee(f): 5:02pm On Jul 10, 2020
Interesting, what do you do?

sharpman1:

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Ajsmart(m): 5:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
$10k a month is AMAZING money in the U.S especially for a single. At $8k per month I was able to afford whatever I wanted, ate at solid restaurants, lived in midtown Atlanta and still saved a good chunk.

J111333:
10k/month a lot of cash?
Have you considered federal and state taxes, mortgage/high rent, bills of all kinds, car, health and home insurances in that 10k?
By the time Trump's Amelica system deal with you finish eeh, if you go home with 5k from that amount, na miracle unless ofcourse you have Igbotic sense. grin grin

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by sharpman1(m): 5:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
Depressed101:
you are wrong check well....

First of.
The city that will pay that much for a programmer will be located in a very large city with spiked rentage and utility bills. Except you want him to live in squalor, when he can live better here in Nigeria

Lol. You people just make me laugh.

Even someone that does DoorDash lives in a better condition that most people that live in Nigeria (including the high brow areas).
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by bejeria101(m): 5:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
What is Nigeria?
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Samfloxin(m): 5:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
gimakon:

Um, its 450,000 naira = $1600
His friend went overseas for virtually the same role, he was doing in Nigeria and presently earns $7000/month for remote jobs.
I have been in thoughts... Hence i decided to ask..
Let him go Obodo oyibo abeg and enjoy sane society with sane people. Make real cash and convert them to naira as he invests here in Naija. After ten years,he will go very far than where he would have been if he had been in Naija

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by anyicash(m): 5:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
So you are still here contemplating leaving this this Drama theater called Nigeria where injustices have taken over everything..where looting and relooting is the order of the day..Brother don't just think about it, leave here ASAP and have a life please.
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Salem92: 5:06pm On Jul 10, 2020
I'll rather take 450k in 9ja than travel abroad for higher pay. Racial violence and high cost of leaving overseas should be put into consideration. I'll create my own paradise in a desolate land.

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by Goodvibes007: 5:06pm On Jul 10, 2020
Gloriagee:

He said only a bit. The money, status and privilege that comes with his senior position in Nigeria. It could be hard for some people to adjust. However, he is happy that his kids are growing up in a functional society.

1 Like

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by SonOfALion: 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2020
Lord, thank you eternally for letting the curse of this kind of brain malfunction to skip over me.

[img]https://images./1FfmmkYRbEHF06OiYJrUsT.jpg[/img]

seankafor:
Lol, does Nigeria spend dollar?
If he makes let's say 5k$ over there, he won't be any different from someone making 500k here because over there he I'll still spend in $ not naira.. unless he is talking about serene environment which also comes with its own downside like racism and stuffs.

For me 500k# here over 5k$ there anyday anytime
Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by anyicash(m): 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2020
I over heard someone last week telling his friend, he is praying to God always, that in his next world he will rather become a tree in United State of America than to be a Nigerian..and you are here contemplating to leave or stay here.

4 Likes

Re: $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? by GloShare(m): 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2020
[quote author=ekerintee post=91579744]It takes time to adapt to a new environment,depending on the person occupation. In foreign countries,some laws favour their own people ,some jobs are not given to foreigners.imagine somebody who has a good office job in naija and going abroad to do factory work because he can't get an office work.in some occupation,your Nigerian certificate are not recognized and u may have to go to school again or do some short courses .but in the area of information tech( programming) .it is what you can do that matters and not your certificate,it's quiet easy to fit into the society but in other occupation,it may take time and may not be possible. Age also matters too.when two people apply for a job,u don't expect them to give a foreigner if both of u are qualified and only one vacancy.most Nigerians will not tell you the kind of job they are doing abroad ,they will not tell you how they are working for several hours doing tedious job and paying heavy taxes

Factory job in the US/Canada is not thesame as a factory job in Nigeria.

If I save $2k off my monthly expenses, I have save more than a Nigerians office worker earning #500k can ever save.

Imagine being able to save near 1 million every month?

I can start one new small scale business every month in most parts of nigeria, without flinching.

I can set up 3 nice barbing salons every month and in one year I would have 36 barbing salons across Nigeria.

Abeg no compare the two. Nigeria is a failed system.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Iyere Flyover: Umahi Inspects Construction Of Longest Flyover In Nigeria / A Trip To Akwa Ibom: Lugard Colonial Office, Slaves Prison, Bridge Of No Return / How God Saved Me From The Accident That Killed 6 People (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.