Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,629 members, 7,801,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers (38653 Views)

Outrage As Frontline Health Staff Sent On Duty Without PPE / How People Are Thanking Coronavirus Frontline Workers Worldwide (Pictures) / Lockdown: Lagos Government Donates Food Items To Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by TGM2015: 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2020
fairfora:
i didn't miss your point. Those working as volunteers at the beginning were later engaged part time at an agreed pay and without a specified end to the contract in view of the scenarios across the globe. Not up to 1% remained as volunteers afterwards. The medics had to work part time because they had their places of primary assignments. Some nurses and lab technicians were employed directly and fully as covid-19 has not specified period of time it would end in view, stating it from a lay man's point of view.

It's wrong for the government to have sacked them when they knew the case was even increasing and instead, should recruit more. This is a lingering issue. Last month, they federal government wanted to hand over isooation centres to various states and we said nope. The sitistiom would rather become worse as the states would manage them poorly. Why is the fed govt shying away from their responsibilities in the first place with the billions donated from both within and outside the country? The government made a u-turn and dropped the idea of handing over to states after challenging them. In spite of the huge sum received, PPEs are still not enough and we have been asking questions what had happened to those funds but no answer was given.

oluwaseyi0:

They are full time staff with Lagos government but volunteer to be posted to Corona isolation centers

Remember those isolation center are not in existence before and so do not have its own staff this ones volunteer to be the battle line front while there colleague stays back safely in the conventional hospital

The post was not detailed enough, thank you for this enlightenment. Please, may I asked a question?

Were the "sacked frontline health workers" sacked as a volunteer or as a civil servant or both?

If it was for volunteer only, I do not see anything wrong with it. The government may have received report on how the volunteering work affects the real hospital/clinic work these health workers were employed for. So the plan may be, I say may be, to relief them of the volunteering works and engage more health workers for pure volunteering work.

But if the situation is any of the last two options, then the government action is highly not acceptable and the umbrella body should not allow it to stand.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by Omoejigbahe(m): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2020
I sincerely hope this is fake news, Jide does not look or sound like an irresponsible person, i hope I'm right.
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by zikter(m): 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2020
EzzyCarter:

"Africans this, African that " so they are supposed to smile over getting sacked right? Bruh. Never criticize someone over a pain you've never experienced...
I don't think the sack is literally as you are putting it. What they are talking about majorly is the allowances due to them, which were not paid. The workers are still employees of the state government and are going back to their various places of primary assignment. They are only leaving the isolation centers but have their jobs intact. The money is the koko of the matter

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by frog12: 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2020
if 3 tested positive then more may be since they never knew they had corona
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by bigpicture001: 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2020
100 trillion naira IGR... I laff in spainish

Na by IGR..?
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2020
TGM2015:

The post was not detailed enough, thank you for this enlightenment. Please, may I asked a question?

Were the "sacked frontline health workers" sacked as a volunteer or as a civil servant or both?

If it was for volunteer only, I do not see anything wrong with it. The government may have received report on how the volunteering work affects the real hospital/clinic work these health workers were employed for. So the plan may be, I say may be, to relief them of the volunteering works and engage more health workers for pure volunteering work.

But if the situation is any of the last two options, then the government action is highly not acceptable and the umbrella body should not allow it to stand.
No problems.

You know, not only medical doctors are in the front line. We have nurses, the med lab scientists , biomed guys and guys taking samples to the labs. We also have cleaners working at the varuous isolation centres. When a case is declared pandemic, there's no definite period this could end and a close watch would be on the spread and curtailment and maybe a vaccine for it and in the case of covid-19, there's no vaccine yet. Initially, there were volunteers who were not placed on salary...anything you give they take but many of them later left for their call duty posts whilst some were employed part time as earlier said and that was a number who could shuttle the 2 jobs. Those who stayed put some conditions at the table like provision of PPEs and improved allowances which the ncdc said they'd abide by.

That said, there were some(not mainly doctors) who were employed fully and paid salary because their service was essential. Not a permanent recruitment in this situation but to be engaged until the curve was flatened and a zero case was declared...in this case , its as if the case just started in Nigeria,given the spate of the spread vis a vis test capacity. None of the sacked frontliners was on a permanent employment and no specified disengagement was designed for them from the beginning as well.

They were just like adhoc staff who didn't have another place of employment. Since the case would probably be with us for a long time, there was a plan in place to keep them but this was still on plan.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by Reference(m): 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2020
Afted the billions given Lagos State. Won't be surprised if most of the cash is gone to some bigwig hunkering down in his masnsion completely out of harms way with a brand new Landcruiser parked in his driveway tagged Covid Taskforce.
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by kizwal: 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2020
In as much as we are just plain unbelievable in this clime,I just pray this news is not true.. because these guys are the most celebrated set of workers the world over right now... irrespective.
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by PBeni(m): 7:43pm On Jul 07, 2020
post=91479761:

The state governor and the Commissioner of Health must do something about this issue ASAP.
These guys must be paid for their sweat and the risk they took.
We will take this matter to the Guv personally.

For the scripture says :  “You are not to muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain,” in other words, “The worker deserves his wages

#WeDidOurPart

Did you ?

Man I must confess I'm liking the new you.
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by kaisermidas(m): 8:20pm On Jul 07, 2020
Toff bone to swallow. #9ja wetin we no go hear
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by henrygale(m): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2020
ijustdey:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/401522-covid-19-anger-as-lagos-govt-disengages-frontline-health-workers.html

Una don see now.
If healthworkers kick now, una go dey say they are heartless.
While the people you all should call heartless are there getting away with it.
Right from the start of this covid-19 thing, I decided not to do any rubbish volunteer shit for anybody because I know they (the govt) won't have my back, and the citizens you are killing yourself for are not worth it.

So I just care for my family and friends who needs my medical care and keep safe by whatever means necessary.
Rubbish country and govt.

All medics around, find your way out of this shit hole as soon as you get the way o, nobody cares about you and yours. We are on our own!!!
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by afroxyz: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2020
Kriss216:

Africans don't even care about their health.. Even on sick bed, they still cry cos of job loss..
You that cares for your health what have you done for the health workers? Anuofia
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by Yampotatocarrot(m): 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2020
fairfora:
No problems.

You know, not only medical doctors are in the front line. We have nurses, the med lab scientists , biomed guys and guys taking samples to the labs. We also have cleaners working at the varuous isolation centres. When a case is declared pandemic, there's no definite period this could end and a close watch would be on the spread and curtailment and maybe a vaccine for it and in the case of covid-19, there's no vaccine yet. Initially, there were volunteers who were not placed on salary...anything you give they take but many of them later left for their call duty posts whilst some were employed part time as earlier said and that was a number who could shuttle the 2 jobs. Those who stayed put some conditions at the table like provision of PPEs and improved allowances which the ncdc said they'd abide by.

That said, there were some(not mainly doctors) who were employed fully and paid salary because their service was essential. Not a permanent recruitment in this situation but to be engaged until the curve was flatened and a zero case was declared...in this case , its as if the case just started in Nigeria,given the spate of the spread vis a vis test capacity. None of the sacked frontliners was on a permanent employment and no specified disengagement was designed for them from the beginning as well.

They were just like adhoc staff who didn't have another place of employment. Since the case would probably be with us for a long time, there was a plan in place to keep them but this was still on plan.

In this capacity, they are acting as volunteers, on the other hand, they have their normal civil servant jobs.

Hence, if the state government decides to terminate their volunteer position and ask them to concentrate fully on their civil servant jobs, there is nothing wrong with it.

The only issue is, pay them for the ones they have done. That's the point TGM2015 is trying to make.

It's a volunteer job, it can't last forever, and even if you say the pandemic is still on, nothing stops the state from deciding to let go some of her volunteers
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by AmeLonRo(m): 12:26am On Jul 08, 2020
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by DelphiOracle(m): 8:15am On Jul 08, 2020
TGM2015:

You missed my point. The disengaged frontline health workers are engaged as volunteers and not employed as a civil servant. We do not know what their terms of engagement was based on. It may have been for a specific period of time (possibly 3 months), if this is so, there is no need painting the government black and comparing their renumeration with employed health workers. The news was even saying they are not paying them accommodation and feeding allowance like their employed colleagues.

With the increased in number of cases, especially Lagos, we need more hands to take care of our people but do we know the numbers of engaged (employed and volunteers) health practitioners that the government currently have. Or those they are currently recruiting or is planning to recruit. For now, we do not know the statistics but on thing is sure, we need more frontline health workers and their disengagement (not sack) is in order according to their own confession that they are volunteers.

Seems payment comes a month after, so hopefully they should be paid this month money next month.
ok
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by tomdon(m): 10:25am On Jul 08, 2020
Captainrambo2:
What ? Is this not wickedness?

They weren't paid despite the risk dey took

Some re even sick, and you sack them ,?

Incredible
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by Myk1234: 3:34am On Jul 09, 2020
Very sad! Gross neglect! Misplaced priority!
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by seanblaise(m): 8:27am On Jul 09, 2020
Covid-19 and Tuberculosis share similar symptoms. I can offer you free TB service anywhere you are in Lagos. We have more than 1000 health facilities in Lagos. Just call +2349024264746.
Are you
Coughing
Having mild fever
Unexplained weight loss
Coughing up blood
Failure to thrive in kids
Call me and I can help offer you free TB service.
Re: Lagos Government Sacks Frontline Health Workers by NewDawn2O21: 2:08am On May 14, 2021
tgirlblaze:
Welcome to Nigeria my Country grin grin
hi is your mailbox active?
Can we talk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cameroonian Woman Commits Suicide Over Husband's Plan To Marry Another Wife / Young Man Drowns While Swimming At Popular MJ Resort In Benue (photos) / Overweight Man Rummages Through Rubbish Dump For Food In Cameroon(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.