Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian (68182 Views)

UNICAL Professor Named The Most Read Researcher In Nigeria / UNICAL Recalls Professor Cyril Ndifon After Rape Accusation / Rasheed Jimoh-Ijaodola, Muslim Professor Bags PhD In Christian Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by asunmoGGMU(m): 6:10am On Jul 08, 2020
lereinter:

Covenant VC also is publishing that's good

He employed a Research Assistant that works with him. The guy finished with a First Class from LAUTECH and did his master's in CU with over 90%. I think he should have gone for his PhD by now, his name is Segun Popoola. So, most of those research, he doesn't do more than vetting "on some".

3 Likes

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by PrinxArthur1(m): 6:18am On Jul 08, 2020
Xisnin:

You just displayed your ignorance about higher education.
Universities don't teach coding beyond the introductory level
neither are they designed to teach you how to lose bolts and spanners.

If you want to learn to code, read books, or join a Bootcamp.
You also have the option of technical schools designed to teach manual skills.

It is a lack of proper orientation and degree bastardization that makes most people
who have no business in the university to waste years of their life.

deluded ignoramus
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by asunmoGGMU(m): 6:25am On Jul 08, 2020
jmaine:

Awesome, that's the right thing to do, she should even go ahead write his university administration for necessary reprimands...

It's painful to carry out a quality research and see your sweat stolen.

You can imagine months or years of hard work being poked by one academic thief.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Nobody: 6:26am On Jul 08, 2020
Wuuworld:
They should research on this man as well
Na Hushpuppi brother be that, lol.

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Xisnin(m): 6:42am On Jul 08, 2020
PrinxArthur1:
deluded ignoramus
Sorry, the university is not what you think it is.
Where you are held by hand and taught how to lose bolts, produce soap or code an app.
Unfortunately, they don't offer a refund.
But you can always blame the person who sold you the false dream.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Okiibe(m): 6:44am On Jul 08, 2020
Very interesting
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by PrinxArthur1(m): 6:49am On Jul 08, 2020
Xisnin:

Sorry, the university is not what you think it is.
Where you are held by hand and taught how to lose bolts, produce soap or code an app.
Unfortunately, they don't offer a refund.
But you can always blame the person who sold you the false dream.
go to Austria and Germany and stop defending mediocrity!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by clockwisereport: 7:29am On Jul 08, 2020
Hezmatosky:
And so wat? The father of modern software is not an American but a Nigerian shocked

please explain
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by iamclime(m): 7:31am On Jul 08, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

One of their lecturers, one Dr Samuel Daramola (of Department of Electrical and Information Engineering) plagiarized someone else's work by using the person's data without acknowledgement. The owner found out and sent him a mail, yet he still had the audacity to ask the work owner to "sell it to him at an affordable price". As in, he wasn't willing to retract the work but he was willing to pay his way out. Very irresponsible. This is what pressure to churn out papers may lead to. They better check these excesses.
How did this end? Please, I'm interested as a budding researcher. From my little experience in academics, many of the scholars simply hijack the works of their graduate students and publish as their own. I will rather publish few quality papers in a year than churn out tons of papers just to make an impression.

3 Likes

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by miketayo(m): 7:33am On Jul 08, 2020
hotspec:
Where are all our people from public vasities? grin What's happening to all the research grants? Not enough? Mismanaged?

That man sabi draw wella
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by iamclime(m): 7:37am On Jul 08, 2020
ethicallyright:

You read the comment of a stranger while scanning the biggest forum in your country and conclude that he hasn't the requisite educational qualification to form an opinion.

I think elementary philosophy is a foundational course which is compulsory for undergraduates in tertiary institutions. As a literate , you should practice more of sound arguments than attacking a person to buttress no point. Your mention is simply what it is , an argumentum ad hominem and a fallacious reasoning.

Bring facts when you're ready, Nigerian expert.
Gbam, you nailed it! Barman, barman!! 3 bottles of Antarctica grade cold Origin and 2 Budweiser for this jolly fellow! grin

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by emmahoney(m): 7:42am On Jul 08, 2020
A term called "Salami Slicing " plus put my name sharp practices made this happen. Salami slicing in research is a way in which a researcher splits information into pieces just to have more publications. This is evident in the number of publications made by these CU researchers in comparison to the total number of cititations received.

I know some young researchers that have publications of about 10-13 publications and have received between 120-250 citations within the last 4 years. These papers were published during the course of their PhDs.

Nevertheless, CU is trying her best, no doubt about that.

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Brunicekid(m): 8:14am On Jul 08, 2020
Enoch07:
things like this, we dey always carry last.
You and who?

There are Nigerians on the list also.

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:40am On Jul 08, 2020
iamclime:

How did this end? Please, I'm interested as a budding researcher. From my little experience in academics, many of the scholars simply hijack the works of their graduate students and publish as their own. I will rather publish few quality papers in a year than churn out tons of papers just to make an impression.

The author wrote to the Journal Editor, that is the last I heard of the issue. It happened in 2016 if my memory serves me correctly. I haven't heard about it since the scholar's last step. I trust she will get justice.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Enoch07: 8:50am On Jul 08, 2020
Brunicekid:
You and who?
There are Nigerians on the list also.
na Nigerians top the list?
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2020
emmahoney:
A term called "Salami Slicing " plus put my name sharp practices made this happen. Salami slicing in research is a way in which are researcher splits information into pieces just to have more publications. This is evident in the number of publications made by these CU researchers in comparison to the total number of cititations received.

I know some young researchers that have publications of about 10-13 publications and have received between 120-250 citations within the last 4 years. These papers were published during the course of their PhDs.

Nevertheless, CU is trying her best, no doubt about that.

Salami slicing involves splitting data into a publishable unit. The other names for salami slicing are "bologna" and "trivial publication". Yes, trivial publication and as the name implies it does not produce solid results. Plus, it is done to increase "number of publication" and high impact journals do not accept papers of such as it begs for quality. This is where the concern arose from. Is it about number or quality research?

It is even advised by most top universities world over that it is better to avoid salami slicing. Is that what CU encourage?

If this is what they do, they need to raise the bar. I rate CU better than this. Salami slicing does more harm than good.

4 Likes

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by tesseract: 9:02am On Jul 08, 2020
How many of the researched papers have they implemented in the country?
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Annie001: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2020
Enwhen:

Not own by CAC church....JABU in ekiti is own by JAB himself ....maybe u mean the one in Osun , Ayo Babalola University...faith base varsity.
See the way you just spewed thrash confidently
Why don't you just Google search
Na wa oooo
There is no JABU in Ekiti
JABU is in Osun state and owned by CAC
Abuad is in Ekiti and owned by Are Afe

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by CodeTemplar: 9:48am On Jul 08, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

He employed a Research Assistant that works with him. The guy finished with a First Class from LAUTECH and did his master's in CU with over 90%. I think he should have gone for his PhD by now, his name is Segun Popoola. So, most of those research, he doesn't do more than vetting "on some".
Reason we don't go forward in this part of the world. So is the LAUTECH guy Atatero is using or what exactly is this suppose to mean?
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by jeyselassie(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2020
ethicallyright:
Op just wanted to tell us about covenant University.

He's paid to do that.

Paper research means nothing these days.

Covenant just employed a long time lecturer as an adjunct just to break the nonsense record that contributes nothing to our economy.
How do you think Havard and Yale got to be the best? Research. They get funded and dole out a lot of quality researches
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by CodeTemplar: 10:21am On Jul 08, 2020
PrinxArthur1:
not surprised in a country where computer scientist can't code unless he partake in extra lesson by same lecturer, when mechanical engineers can't even dismantle an engine and couple it back, where civil engineers do the job of an Architect, where president have NEPA bill as waec certificate, where a corrupt governor like ganduje is still gallivanting under the influence of immunity , where military journalist thinks everything on wheel is a tank, where secret police called DSS refutes judicial order
Your problem is even bigger than those of the people your post is targeted at.

Mechanical engineer are not suppose to be able to dismantle engines after their first degree. They are trained to design one and even at that, after their first degree are not expected to be fully capable of that.
Same thing too for the computer scientists. They weren't preparer for coding full software but only introduced to it.
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Xisnin(m): 10:37am On Jul 08, 2020
PrinxArthur1:
go to Austria and Germany and stop defending mediocrity!
I suspect you are a functional illiterate and I was right.
You don't even understand education if it hits you in the face.
You are like the illiterate who was moved to a city for the first time and thinks
it is all magical. The cultural shock is apparently to blame.

Austria and Germany are just two countries in the world and their
systems are not that different from others.

For the sake of avoiding future embarrassment, I will try to educate you.
Universities are primarily established for research and knowledge advancement.
They are not for learning trade skills. Even for practical courses, industry experience
are gained outside and not inside the university system.

Institutions for learning trade skills are technical colleges, some polytechnics, and similar schools.
In Germany for example, it is those with lower aptitudes that usually end up in technical
tertiary institutions while the brighter ones focus on research.

If you want to learn a trade, don't waste your money on a degree, look for an apprenticeship
system.
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by CodeTemplar: 10:40am On Jul 08, 2020
darfay:

What uni is Ganiu from?
Lol.. oga no mind am c how terribly low the citations are

Your points about citations while valid can suffer from the kind of isolation the strife among these schools and researchers can generate.

A lecturer/researcher in maybe UI or UNN who is ordinarily suppose to cite or reference the work of a CU researcher, being conscious of how it will work towards improving the reputation of CU/the CU researcher, may shy away from doing so. The fact that there so many of these papers rolling off their research mill also means someone somewhere maybe overwhelmed with their rate and unable to deal with them thoroughly enough, and therefore lead to lower citation.
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by asunmoGGMU(m): 10:50am On Jul 08, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Reason we don't go forward in this part of the world. So is the LAUTECH guy Atatero is using or what exactly is this suppose to mean?

He is using the guy for his research. Bar one, going through his Google Scholar profile, you will observe that Atayero is usually the second author on the guy's works: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=b3ZYpecAAAAJ&hl=en

I don't know if you get my point by this drift.

1 Like

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by HigherEd: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2020
rago:
It's a fine news article. However, I'm a little uneasy that you editorialized it. Ur not supposed to express opinions. Rather, u were supposed to let readers decide, for example, what university is God's own institution and so forth.

Are you an alumni of Covenant University?

Check the link. I didn't edit nor editorized anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Akinde580(m): 11:57am On Jul 08, 2020
Wait
this is a story written by akinde ademola gold. He wrote it in a simple ways so that everybody can understand it. Is a story about kate who do not contented with his husband wealth and later married a londoner. Happy reading!
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by Akinde580(m): 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2020
Joseph ayodele babalola university
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by eamodu(m): 12:27pm On Jul 08, 2020
HigherEd:

Joseph Ayo Babalola University owned by CAC church..
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by McTobe(m): 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2020
I thought that Social sciences and Arts have more published research work. I am totally wrong because mostly what I am seeing above is Engineering and sciences
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by McTobe(m): 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2020
What’s the magnitude. Educate us please.
NB: Don’t tell me that Google is my friend because I know that already.
2fine2fast:
I sight my lecturer and mentor...
Prof Ganiyu Oboh...
Respect Sir.

Gureje Oye
Owolabi Ojo......
These guys have published in Elsevier's Lancet shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Impact factor 59.102..I hope there is someone here that knows
the magnititude of that....Those ones are Grand-Researchers...
Re: Professor Sanjay: The Most Published Researcher In Nigeria Is Not A Nigerian by PrinxArthur1(m): 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2020
Xisnin:

I suspect you are a functional illiterate and I was right.
You don't even understand education if it hits you in the face.
You are like the illiterate who was moved to a city for the first time and thinks
it is all magical. The cultural shock is apparently to blame.

Austria and Germany are just two countries in the world and their
systems are not that different from others.

For the sake of avoiding future embarrassment, I will try to educate you.
Universities are primarily established for research and knowledge advancement.
They are not for learning trade skills. Even for practical courses, industry experience
are gained outside and not inside the university system.

Institutions for learning trade skills are technical colleges, some polytechnics, and similar schools.
In Germany for example, it is those with lower aptitudes that usually end up in technical
tertiary institutions while the brighter ones focus on research.

If you want to learn a trade, don't waste your money on a degree, look for an apprenticeship
system.
stop twaddling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Kind Of Wicked Teacher Is This? What Would You Do As A Parent? / When Daddy Graduated From The University Through Runs (Photo) / Futa,akure 2012/2013 Official Post Ume And Admission Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.