Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,547 members, 7,801,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

WTO: Candidates For The DG Position - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WTO: Candidates For The DG Position (26931 Views)

Northern Christian To Lalong: Reject APC Campaign DG Position Now / Abdulmumin Jibrin Is Not The DG Of Tinubu's Campaign - Tinubu Support Group / Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by fergie001: 6:26am On Jul 09, 2020
Nominations for the Office of Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) has officially closed. As at close of nomination on July 8 2020, eight nominees from different countries had indicated interests.
The outgoing DG, Azevedo, will be stepping down on August 31, 2020.

Nominees are expected to answer questions from the General Council (involving all its member states) and the Press between 15-17 July, 2020. Several rounds of consultations will follow until a consensus is announced. The DG's role is expected to be primarily advisory, managerial and renewable after 4 years

Generally, the appointment of the WTO DG is by consensus of the General Council.

Seade Kuri Jesús (Mexico)

Jesús Kuri possesses unique experience in global trade negotiations and management of international financial crises.
According to his CV, Kuri is the founding Deputy Director-General of the WTO. He was also a Senior Advisor at the IMF and Principal Economist at the World Bank.
Kuri was a Chief Negotiator for Mexico in the creation of the WTO and is currently the Under Secretary-General (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) at USMCA, Mexico. He is fluent in the 3 Official languages of the WTO (English, French and Spanish).
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_mex_e.pdf

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Nigeria)

NOI (as she is fondly called) is a global financial expert, economist and international development professional spanning, three decades of experience. She was twice appointed Nigeria's Finance Minister and briefly, Foreign Affairs Minister. The first woman to occupy both positions.
She rose through the ranks of the World Bank, having served for almost 25 years to the position of No 2, Managing Director, Operations.
She is Chair to a lot of boards....
Board of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
Chair, Board of AU African risk capacity
Member, South Africa Economic Recovery Team
Member, Boards of Standard Chartered Bank Plc and Twitter Inc.
Co-Chair, Global Commission on the Economy and Climate
Angelopolous Global Public Leader at Havard Kennedy School, etc.
She is a recipient of many awards at both the National and Global Stage.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_nga_e.pdf

Abdel-Hamid Mamdouh (Egypt)

Abdel-Hamid believes unequivocally in the Multilateral Trading System and its rule-based foundation. He is a Senior WTO official growing through the ranks to the position of Director of the Trade in Services and Investment Division of WTO.
He has solid internal WTO management and leadership experience spanning almost 35 years, as well as extensive legal expertise in public international /trade law and negotiations.
He is currently a Senior Counsel, King & Sparding LLP
He is fluent in English, French and Arabic.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_egy_e.pdf

Tudor Ulianovschi (Moldova)

Ulianovschi is a diplomat and politician with vast experience in international, political and economic reforms, including trade policy matters.
He has accumulated almost 15 years of experience as a Deputy Foreign Affairs and later Foreign Affairs Minister for the Republic of Moldova, Ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein, Permanent Representative to the UN and WTO. He has chaired quite a number of steering Committees and is a member of the International Gender Champions.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_mda_e.pdf

Ms Yoo Myung-Hee (Korea)

Myung-Hee is an innovator, negotiator and strategist who believes in the importance of the multi-lateral system and constant renewal derives.
She has ample experience over 25years as Korea's FTA strategist and currently negotiator for the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, US (KORUS) FTA re-negotiations.
Myung-Hee is currently Korea's first female Minister for Trade.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_kor_e.pdf

Amina Mohammed (Kenya)

She is an ambassador, diplomat and politician. Amina has been previously chairperson of all the highest decision-making bodies of the WTO.
She has chaired the Ministerial Conference (highest decision body of the WTO), General Council, Trade Policy Review and the Dispute Settlement body.
She is the first African to chair the Ministerial Conference of the WTO and first woman to chair the General Council and the Dispute Settlement body of the WTO respectively.
She also held several portfolios such as:
Assistant Secretary-General of the UN, Deputy Executive Director of the UN Environmental Programme, Permanent Representative and Ambassador to the WTO.
She is currently the Kenyan Minister for Sports, Culture and Heritage.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_ken_e.pdf

Mohammed Maziad Al-Tuwaijiri (Saudi Arabia)

He leads the development agenda of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and boasts robust interaction with international organizations and multilateral agencies
He has a long career in banking with the Saudi British Bank, J.P. Morgan and HSBC, eventually becoming the Group Managing Director, Deputy Chairman and CEO for Middle East, North Africa and Turkey. A Strong advocate of Saudi Vision 2030, worked tirelessly to bring it to life through the support of the Ministry of Economy, as well through the position occupied as a Board member of key organizations, institutions and Companies in Saudi Arabia.
He is the immediate past Minister of Economy and Planning and currently an advisor to the Royal Court of Saudi Arabia.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_sau_e.pdf

Liam Fox (The UK)

He is a British politician who has been a staunch advocate for free trading and a defender of the rules based global trading system of the WTO. He has served in a number of positions as Former UK Secretary of State for International Trade, Minister Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Defence Secretary, et al
He is currently in the UK Parliament, President Board of Trade and a Privy Counsellor.
CV attached:
https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dgsel20_e/bio_gbr_e.pdf

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by helinues: 6:31am On Jul 09, 2020
They are all qualified for the position..

But according to me, NOI is good for the job.

All the best ma

151 Likes 8 Shares

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by chukwunedum150(m): 6:31am On Jul 09, 2020
Nawa oo, no be small thing oo

7 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by fergie001: 6:32am On Jul 09, 2020
We wish NOI and Nigeria, all the best.

Since its inception, Africa and North America are the two continents who haven't yet produced the DG.

28 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Bethel4Life(f): 6:37am On Jul 09, 2020
NOI i know

12 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Bethel4Life(f): 6:37am On Jul 09, 2020
helinues:
They are all qualified for the position..
But according to me, NOI is good for the job.
All the best ma
eggzatly

3 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by SmartProf(m): 6:40am On Jul 09, 2020
We have seen the other eminently qualified individuals, some of them whose names cannot be pronounced easily. Madam Ngozi, your CV is thick, your global experience is rich and your star is bright, so we wish you the best. Hopefully you'll win so that you'll keep impacting your world. During your thanksgiving, we will love to tie our scarf exactly the way you do urs to celebrate another milestone with you.

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by johnmartus(m): 6:42am On Jul 09, 2020
Africa has lost it already. 3 candidate from Africa undecided Asia is a battlefield for the all contestants. Any country that have good influence in Asia continent will emerge the winner. Anyway Good luck madam Ngozi. But change your campaign strategies Because nobody would listen to I don't have shoe or I don't have money to take flight to Abuja.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Nobody: 6:47am On Jul 09, 2020
I wish Okonjo a successful outing

4 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Flyingngel(m): 7:09am On Jul 09, 2020
All of them are with intimidating credentials. I pray NOI get the job.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by JeffreyD1(m): 7:26am On Jul 09, 2020
Why 3 candidates from Africa

Mitcheeew

I've heard a lot about that Amina of Kenya

I wish mummy NOI all the best

14 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by seunmsg(m): 7:40am On Jul 09, 2020
johnmartus:
Africa has lost it already. 3 candidate from Africa undecided Asia is a battlefield for the all contestants. Any country that have good influence in Asia continent will emerge the winner. Anyway Good luck madam Ngozi. But change your campaign strategies Because nobody would listen to I don't have shoe or I don't have money to take flight to Abuja.

There is a candidate from Asia, MS Hoo Myung-Hee of Korea. She may likely get all the votes from the region.

9 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Racoon(m): 7:45am On Jul 09, 2020
See sound people with intimidating resume.This is the standard-put your best shot forward.Goodluck to our own Ngozi Okonjo-Iwela.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by RuddyFusion(m): 7:49am On Jul 09, 2020
They are qualified I wish NOI Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:51am On Jul 09, 2020
Our own will win

4 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Maxymilliano(m): 7:53am On Jul 09, 2020
Let me sit on the fence here, may the best Candidate win ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by GodisAble11: 7:53am On Jul 09, 2020
cool
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 09, 2020
Noted
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Aol360: 8:46am On Jul 09, 2020
Majority of the candidates have previous experience with WTO.

NOI's pitch is that WTO need new perspective in its leadership.

Africa with 3 solid candidates is a plus, atleast one of them should win but could be shaming if nobody from the continent gets it.

2 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Sammy07: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2020
I have heard alot about that guy from Mexico

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by ERockson: 9:13am On Jul 09, 2020
Goodluck to Madam NOI, but our candidate won't find it easy as lots of them are really qualified. Africa is out of the race if they can't present a single candidate for this highly competitive job.I'm seeing that Asian woman having it

9 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by johnmartus(m): 9:26am On Jul 09, 2020
Damn.
seunmsg:

There is a candidate from Asia, MS Hoo Myung-Hee of Korea. She may likely get all the votes from the region.
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by BabaRamota1980: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2020
Heading a large global organization one should be adept and multi-lingual.

I support Madam Ngozi and she will beat UK, Moldova, Korea but Mexico, Kenya, Egypt, Saudi are tough. Her campaign should focus on eliminating Kenya and Mexico. They are most powerful contenders.

8 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 09, 2020
Why having 3 Candidates from Africa?

If we don't have 1 Candidate , Africa is not going to win.

The Mexico guy has the best CV for the job.

13 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by phemmyfour: 9:49am On Jul 09, 2020
How does Ngozi getting the office affects the price of bag of rice in the market?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by directonpc(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2020
GiONEE
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Nazgul: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2020
And I submitted my CV yet I can't find my name or pics among the norminees. it's not fair cry

8 Likes

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by CODEIN: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2020
CalebLebsco56:
Country of Looters....why will Nigeria be Great..Youths we need to start using our head, we are suffering in this country..Why will somebody own 40million house and we cant get ordinary 20k Job...its so pathetic that after school you cant get a Job....and you see this leaders scaming us everyday and we still vote them pack to power........imagine A Fraud, fighting Fraud already .....No Future
The yoots in Lootgeria are not yet ready, they love poverty and suffering more than anything, otherwisw they should have gathered in millions and bring down all reapojaivle for the mess in lootgeria and turn it back to Sensegeria. Nigeria was founded on fraudulent foundations set to expire after hundred years which is 1914 to 2014....can you see that it has expired....so what else are we doing living fraudulently tohether??

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by temptnow: 9:50am On Jul 09, 2020
Imagine who UK nominated for WTO, what an insult... A disgraced politician

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by AnterTech: 9:51am On Jul 09, 2020
On Okonjo Iweala, we stand.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

God Hasn't Spoken On Nigeria’s Next President - Adeboye / Obi Visits Victims Of Petrol Tanker Explosion At Ochanja Market, Onitsha. - Pics / Governor Akeredolu Marks 100days of Second Term With 100 Strides (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.