Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,669 members, 7,801,932 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

NAUS Appoints First Ever Campus Monitoring Committee In Ogun State - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NAUS Appoints First Ever Campus Monitoring Committee In Ogun State (275 Views)

NANS, NAUS Etc Should Begin Mobilization For Total Showdown With ASUU And Fg!!! / NAUS Urges FG To Build Technology Hubs For Graduates / Universities Workers Strike Row Deepens, As Unions Set Up Monitoring Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NAUS Appoints First Ever Campus Monitoring Committee In Ogun State by Joyoung(m): 9:52am On Jul 09, 2020
The National Association of University Students, NAUS, has inaugurated its first ever executive council for Ogun State on Monday, July 6 2020, The Academia reports.

In a statement signed by the NAUS Deputy Senate President, National Treasurer and National Vice President (S.W), the appointment of the 10-man executive council in Ogun State follows the constitutional provisions 37, 25(G) (I) and (ii) of the Campus Monitoring Committee (CMC).

NAUS is the association of all university students in Nigeria and the Diaspora. The body describes itself as the defender and protector of the rights of all students in universities and other degree awarding institutions. It is also the highest decision-making body of all students studying in Nigeria's higher institution of learning from the University Cadre. The Campus Monitoring Committee (CMC) oversees the day-to-day running of the affairs of the association at the state level.

The newly ratified Ogun state leaders are: Chairman, Akorede Afeez (OOU); Vice Chairman, Edun Olubayo (FUNAAB); Secretary General, Mabifa Ameerah (TASCE-OOU); Deputy Secretary General, Ajayi Emanuel (NOUN); Treasurer, Oyekanmi Aishat (FUNAAB); Publicity Secretary, Faleti Olumide (TASUED); Director of Sports and Social, Olawoyin Adewale (FUNAAB); Director of Gender and Campus Affairs, Adelekan Olajumoke (UI FCE-ABK); Ex-Officio I, Adebesin Omolade (OOU) and Ex-Officio II, Browne Precious (TASUED)

The activities of NAUS are carried out within the framework of its constitution, these among other things are to advocate and ensure quality education in all Nigerian Universities, to collaborate with other organizations for socio-economic development in Nigeria and to constructively agitate for the welfarism of university students at all time.

The Deputy Senate President, Senator Asiwaju Abdulgafar Ajibowu, while congratulating them, charged the new leaders to act diligently and never to handle their office shabbily. In the same vein, he also tasked them to stand strong and function well in the capacity they've found themselves because the progress of the association should be their top priority without allowing personal prejudices to be at the forefront.

Comrade Olajumoke Oluwabukola Adelekan (Apparels by Jhummie), a 300 level student in department of English Language at Federal College of Education, Abeokuta in affiliation with University of Ibadan (UI-FCEABK), was appointed as the Director of Gender and Campus Affairs, thereby becoming the first ever student from her institution to hold an executive position in NAUS. We interviewed her on how she will use the power of her office to improve the reputational status of her not-so-popular affiliated school and the feasibility of her constitutional assignment.

Your appointment as the Director of Gender and Campus Affairs makes you the first student from your institution to hold an executive post in NAUS: How did you feel about this appointment and how did you intend to use it for the benefit of cedep students?
Jumoke: I feel great and honored, [the appointment] will be of positive interest to Cedep students at large because it will give us the opportunity to have a say in NAUS. I intend to use it to benefit the Cedep students by making our voices be heard in NAUS.

Since one of the objectives of NAUS is to enable all students to participate fully in their Association. How did you intend to let the students of your own institution "Have a say in NAUS" and let their "Voices be heard in NAUS"?
Jumoke: My answer as regards "making our voices heard" can be viewed from various perspectives; in that my appointment can set a pace and give a pedestal for my female folks to take charge and take responsibility, this is applicable to our male counterparts too. Also, this will give us an avenue as students from an affiliate campus to bring all our activities, curricular and extracurricular, to the fore, thereby, helping us to become a force to reckon with outside the campus, CEDEP.

As a fresh chapter of the association and an "affiliated institution", it is indisputable that we will have to strive in order "become a force to be reckon with". How will you ensure the evenly distribution of national activities of NAUS such that CEDEP might also have the opportunity to play host?
Jumoke: It is a known fact that a child doesn't walk when he/she is born, it takes a gradual process. Therefore I'll endeavour to have a cordial relationship with other team members and be diligent in my duties which could therefore earn our campus the viability to play host, not forgetting the fact that the student populace will be sensitized on the need to work towards achieving that goal with me.

As a member of the first set of Ogun State Campus Monitoring Committee how will you carry out the day-to-day running of the affairs of association at the state level as stipulated by the constitution?
Jumoke: To the best of my abilities, I'll carry out my day-to-day activities of the association via the most accessible and easiest means by adhering to the Constitution.

You are the Director of Gender and Campus Affairs, it means that you are tasked with the job of defending the right of students and work without any hindrance on the basis of sex. How will you strive for gender equity and student development?
Jumoke: I will, at the best of my ability, try to strive for equity without biasness of gender and pace the action on student development through awareness and positive moves.

Any parting words to the whole students populace?
Jumoke: I want all the students to know that they have rights and responsibilities. Therefore, they should be aware that their responsibilities is important and paramount as their rights, also, students have equal rights and responsibilities without regards to the gender. This implies that, defending the rights of students will not be hindered by any gender related factor, and it won't place students of a gender above the other. This will in turn enhance students' development, in that, students, regardless of their gender will be given the opportunity of exploration. NAUS isn't for an individual or a group of people, it is for the Nigerian Students, therefore we should see it as ours. This can be another wonderful platform to have the better Nigeria we've been clamouring for. May Nigeria succeed in our lifetime. No matter who you are or where you may be, put into consideration the future which starts from today so as to make the world a better place, more and making a positive history. So much can be achieved together.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19: Education Minister, Adamu Adamu Reverses Schools Resumption / . / Nigerian Created Martial Arts Is That Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.