Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,469 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

What Does Buhari Do For A Living? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Buhari Do For A Living? (9199 Views)

Today March 28, It's Exactly A Year We Voted For Buhari, Do You Regret? / What Does Buhari Think He's Doing? / What Does Buhari Do For A Living? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 1:43am On Feb 04, 2011
Yes, I am clued into what the issue really is and No,my choice of spelling has nothing to do with civility, or non of it. It is simply the way I chose to spell the word.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Muza(m): 1:46am On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

Please substantiate your arguments with facts and stop throwing circumstiantalities around like an illiterate.

ok,u asked for it,so lets start,lets start with the very simple ones.

how did she come about the $11.4m that Ribadu caught her with when her husband was Gov?

answer this satisfactorily and i'll have more coming,till u convince me shes a saint and laboured for all her money
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Muza(m): 1:47am On Feb 04, 2011
u cant answer this,i thought as much grin
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 1:51am On Feb 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, I am clued into what the issue really is and No,my choice of spelling has nothing to do with civility.
Well i put it to you,you know nothing about nothing.You don't even know the half.In other climes,having spent the number of years i spent in Plateau state & paid my taxes to the state coffers i'm entitled to lay claim to being an indigene/citizen of Jos.Seriously,your ignorance on this issue is overwhelming.How is it possible for someone to swallow-hook,line & sinker everything he/she reads?I'm flabbergasted

And yes,using the correct spelling shows respect for others.Like a deliberate mispelling of someone's name in a bid to spite the person
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 1:53am On Feb 04, 2011
Muza:

ok,u asked for it,so lets start,lets start with the very simple ones.

how did she come about the $11.4m that Ribadu caught her with when her husband was Gov?

answer this satisfactorily and i'll have more coming,till u convince me shes a saint and laboured for all her money
Circumstantial.Show me an incontrovertible proof.As far i'm concerned you're still rambling & clutching on to straws
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by honeric01(m): 1:55am On Feb 04, 2011
Hey Beaf, get back here, abi you don de-activate again after seeing the questions? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 1:55am On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

Well i put it to you,you know nothing about nothing.You don't even know the half.In other climes,having spent the number of years i spent in Plateau state & paid my taxes to the state coffers i'm entitled to lay claim to being an indigene/citizen of Jos.Seriously,your ignorance on this issue is overwhelming.How is it possible for someone to swallow-hook,line & sinker everything he/she reads?I'm flabbergasted

And yes,using the correct spelling shows respect for others.Like a deliberate mispelling of someone's name in a bid to spite the person

I choose instead to believe what I have been able to glean from my own research of the situation. It appears it IRKS you that I do not share your view on this and this is not new to me. But I prefer to focus on understanding the true problems in order that I might identify true solutions when they show up as I believe that is the only way forward, even in this. As I have already mentioned earlier, this is Nigeria where even those who live right in the eye of the storm have little understanding of what happens right under their own noses.

Deliberate or not, I don't believe it is your place to tell command another on how to spell, or not spell a word. I cannot help you there as I have no plans on changing that for you.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by honeric01(m): 1:57am On Feb 04, 2011
Patience Jonathan: Nigeria’s Most Powerful Woman
Sonala Olumhense

On September 11, 2006, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) seized $13.5 million dollars (US) from Mrs. Patience Jonathan, the wife of then Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan.

The International Herald Tribune quoted the EFCC spokesman, Mr. Osita Nwajah, as saying that the seizure was made after Mrs. Jonathan had allegedly laundered the money through an associate.

It was the second time in one month Mrs. Jonathan was hitting the scandal headlines. In August, the EFCC had obtained a court order to temporarily freeze N104 million she had allegedly tried to launder through one Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. The EFCC said it had reason to believe the seized funds belonged to the public. In a sworn statement, Mrs. Nwosu implicated Patience Jonathan, the EFCC said.

But remember, her husband was the Bayelsa State Governor at the time. And Mr. Jonathan’s government dashed to the defence of the First Lady of Bayelsa, alleging that the reports were part of a “plot to destabilize” the state. Government spokesmen were falling over each other to speak for Mrs. Jonathan. The Governor’s spokesman, Dennis Sami, described the allegations as a “charade,” the target of which the Governor.

“We are aware that the said Nancy Ebere Nwosu is a very remote relation of Her Excellency who has lived abroad for several years,” Mr. Sami said. “She is a successful businesswoman of no little means whose business concerns do not involve Mrs. Jonathan.”

Mrs. Jonathan’s spokesman, Kenneth Ekpelu, fired an e-mail to Vanguard newspaper in which she spoke of “her husband’s opponents who strangely perceive her as the soft spot in his political armour and won’t stop hammering away at her until their decisions to oust him from office are met.”

It is funny how these canned money-laundering defenses sound alike. Didn’t President Olusegun Obasanjo’s United States lawyer, Mr. Kunle Fagbenle, say last November that Andy Uba—who used part of some funds laundered by means of the executive jet (allegedly without Obasanjo’s permission) to shop for Obasanjo’s farms—could not be accused of money-laundering because Mr. Uba was “already a rich man”? And did not Obasanjo say the Uba scandal was only a “calculated attempt” to ruin his name?]

Anyhow, despite the massive protestations of Governor Jonathan, the EFCC pressed ahead. On August 22, 2006, Justice Anwuli Chikere of the Federal High Court, Abuja authorized the freezing of the N104 million “pending the conclusion of the investigation of the activities of the said persons in connection with their involvement in the acts of money laundering and other economic and financial crimes related offences.”

And then, barely three weeks later, Mrs. Jonathan was in the news again, reportedly being separated from an astounding $13.5 million in US dollars. She must have been one angry woman. But all that was one year ago.

Since then, the Jonathans have moved up in the world. They have left the relative squalor and poverty of a mere state governorship for the Vice-President’s estate. They have left the petty limitations of Bayelsa for the limitless expanse of Abuja. Only one man now speaks before Mr. Jonathan does.

Yes, Mr. Jonathan is the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and the second most powerful man in the country. He is also the man President Yar’Adua is trusting with the challenge of the Niger Delta, where billions of dollars are expected to be spent over the next few years.

He has also been talking about democracy, corruption, the rule of law, and development. Just over a week ago, at the All-Delta Peoples Conference in the United States, Mr. Jonathan disclosed that President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua had authorised the release of all funds due the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC). In addition, “Special funds will be provided for special projects in line with the master plan,” he said.

And Mrs. Jonathan has been speaking too, telling Nigerian women how they can become more fulfilled citizens. Up in the rarefied air of federal authority, you can preach any sermon, even while you have around your neck diamonds and jewels of $13.5 million, and gold bracelets of N104million.

This is all quite ironic. The Jonathans are living in a dream state. They moved into the governorship in Bayelsa when Dipreye Alameiseigha was consumed in a corruption blaze, and into the vice-presidency when the PDP sought someone to balance Umaru Yar’Adua on the PDP presidential ticket.

But they take quite a few scandals with them. Mr. Jonathan left Bayelsa State in a thick cloud of suspicion. Many Bayelsans believed his government had fleeced the treasury. While Mr. Jonathan said upon assumption of office he had inherited a state treasury N25billion thick, he refused to say what was left there as he vacated office. Bayelsans alleged he had swept the commonwealth clean, and that most public projects were left uncompleted.

Two months after he assumed the vice-presidency, Mr. Jonathan came under severe national pressure to follow the lead of his boss and make his assets declaration public. It took several nerve-wracking weeks of trying to dodge the responsibility, but he finally released the document, which showed the former university lecturer was worth an absolutely unbelievable N295 million. He had only been the Governor for 17 months, and this means he had been growing richer at the rate of close to N17 million per month. Naturally, wink-wink, he did not include his wife in his declaration.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Jonathan…

In its report of last April’s election, the New York based Council on Foreign Relations observed that Patience Jonathan was generally regarded as the “greediest person in Bayelsa State” and a woman of great cruelty. Last June, the Niger Development Monitoring and Corporate Watch (NIDDEMCOW), a local non-governmental organization, asked the EFCC to publish its report on Mrs. Jonathan.

The EFCC has not. This is not particularly strange; the Commission is not in the habit of issuing such reports. But nothing has been heard from the Commission since the flurry of activities of August and September last year. That coincides with the period before Mr. Jonathan emerged Yar’Adua’s running mate.

Apparently, even scandals of that magnitude are no obstacle in Nigeria. Mr. Jonathan got the vice-presidency, and the only man he is answerable to is about to put into his hands, theoretically for the Niger Delta, all the diamonds and gold a man could want.

And his wife? Patience Jonathan apparently hates that kind of snail pace to fortune. Indicted by the EFCC in only eight months as First Lady on a charge of laundering a few Naira bills, she moved to dollar bills in the millions the following month. That same month, the EFCC report to the Senate called her by name.

Again, this does not seem to matter in Nigeria: weeks later, in October, the Owu Kingdom, President Obasanjo's people, honored the Jonathans with chieftaincy titles. In that culture, Obasanjo is the Balogun of Owu; Mr. Jonathan became the Obateru.

If Mrs. Jonathan must was thrilled on that day, she must be over the moon today. An EFCC indictment, and yet she can get on any of our presidential jets at any time and drink champagne at State functions.

And how much taller she must be, these days as she stands on the authority of the vice-presidency! From such heights, not only do you dwarf an EFCC, are invisible. What a country!

What I really fail to understand is: If Mrs. Jonathan can so effectively laugh at the so-called war on corruption, does that not make her the First Lady? On what basis does she perform her functions – the recommendations of the EFCC? Why has Mrs. Jonathan assumed the status of untouchable, or is she truly the nation’s most powerful woman?

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/sonala-olumhense/patience-jonathan-nigerias-most-powerful-woman.html
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Abagworo(m): 1:58am On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

Hausa/Fulanis fighting to lay claim to land that isn't theirs?

There is something I don't get.This land you wrote about did Hausas buy them or did they use arms to seize them?If they actually paid for the lands,then it is theirs.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 2:00am On Feb 04, 2011
Irks me?Lol,i dey laugh.I'm guzzling liquor as i type,thinking to myself 'yeah here we go again with the usual back & forth'.Kobo,like i said,you know nothing about nothing.Jos is my adopted hometown,you can't tell me nothin about the the strife in Jos having participated in the earlier versions i'm in a better position to tutor you on the finer points of the crisis

Kobojunkie:

I choose instead to believe what I have been able to glean from my own research of the situation. It appears it IRKS you that I do not share your view on this and this is not new to me. But I prefer to focus on understanding the true problems in order that I might identify true solutions when they show up as I believe that is the only way forward, even in this. As I have already mentioned earlier, this is Nigeria where even those who live right in the eye of the storm have little understanding of what happens right under their own noses.

Deliberate or not, I don't believe it is your place to tell command another on how to spell, or not spell a word. I cannot help you there as I have no plans on changing that for you.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Muza(m): 2:03am On Feb 04, 2011
honeric01,i'm so great full,its even 13 and i said 11,thanx

cold,what do you have to say now?  grin
hope u wont start chasing shadows again  grin
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 2:08am On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

Irks me?Lol,i dey laugh.I'm guzzling liquor as i type,thinking to myself 'yeah here we go again with the usual back & forth'.Kobo,like i said,you know nothing about nothing.Jos is my adopted hometown,you can't tell me nothin about the the strife in Jos having participated in the earlier versions i'm in a better position to tutor you on the finer points of the crisis

Interesting!!! So you would prefer a situation where you spewed whatever you had on me, and I not respond at all but simply NOD AND AGREE WITH YOU? lol !!!

Like I said, if my view IRKS you, you can simply choose to IGNORE. But I am not here to change for you just because. I do not agree with your assessment of the Jos issue, and, still wouldn't even if you claimed next that your father started it all.  undecided I know and I believe the situation is more ethnic than religious .
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 2:21am On Feb 04, 2011
^^ believe what you want.It is inconsequential to the issues raised.I'm more interested in the true state of affairs & not what you choose to believe is the truth
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 2:22am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^ Well, I am also more concerned about the true state of affairs and not what you believe, or think you know as the truth.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 2:25am On Feb 04, 2011
^^And as far as the truth is concerned,you're abysmally ignorant in this case
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 2:28am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^ I can say the same of you, and your view of this too!
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 2:29am On Feb 04, 2011
You don't know any better
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 2:34am On Feb 04, 2011
Again, I can say the same of you!

Now I see what you meant when you said endless back and forths. Only I thought you meant I was the one who indulged in such. Didn't realize you were speaking of yourself there. undecided
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 2:40am On Feb 04, 2011
^^I had made up my mind i was going pound for pound with you today.So if you honestly think i'm going to back down for you then you're sorely mistaken.I've got time,as a matter of fact i've got nothing but time.Let's play your game.
As per the issue,you've been fed so much lies you have accepted this critical mass of lies as the truth.I feel for you
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Nsiman(m): 7:21am On Feb 04, 2011
Don't derail this thread, what do buhari have his campaign income fund? Mrs jonathan is not a contestant, but its idiotic to ask what u asked about her because she has been a wife of a deputy governor, governor, vice president, and now president which u know they have funds allocated to their office. Ok where did Mrs. Amina Atiku had the money she used in sponsoring wotclef?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:23am On Feb 04, 2011
Nsiman:

Don't derail this thread, what do buhari have his campaign income fund? Mrs jonathan is not a contestant, but its idiotic to ask what u asked about her because she has been a wife of a deputy governor, governor, vice president, and now president which u know they have funds allocated to their office. Ok where did Mrs. Amina Atiku had the money she used in sponsoring wotclef?

Correction : Funds allocated to a particular office DOES NOT BELONG to the private pockets of those who occupy said office. If you are insinuating that Patience had a right to have PUBLIC money in her private accounts, then Mr Nsiman, I suggest you please go back to learn what your right as a person in this democracy really is and how an official, even the wife of one, stealing, in any way(yes, public money is not their personal money),from you, is a NO NO.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^^^^
awww mehn sad

kobo got to Nsiman before I could. Goddamit!
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 04, 2011
KunleOshob:

People keep giving Buhari undue credit for his anti corruption fight when he was in power, the truth is that those of us that are old enough to remember would recall that it was Idiagbon who was the action man of that regime. Idiagbon called the shots and it was him that lead the no nonsense anti corruption stand and War Against Indiscipline [WAI] when buhari was left to manage PTF without Idiagbon's support, corruption was the order of the day. If buhari can't fight corruption in a "tiny" PTF how can he fight it on a national scale?
I beg make you tell all the big heads here giving undue advantage on Buhari's intergrity.Idiagbon did 90% of the work at the time while Buhari was a mere figure head ant that was why IBB and Abacha waited for Idiagbon to travel before they striked even while Buhari was in the country.While at PTF,corruption,bribery,favourtism and tribalism was the order of the day.He could not stamp his feet as the boss of PTF and head of state when he was younger serving under Abacha.How can this same man at 70,71,72 and age 73 lead Nigeria to the promise land?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by KunleOshob(m): 7:50am On Feb 04, 2011
All this back and forth arguments yet no one as been able to say were buhari gets his campaign funds from Could it be that he has the same sponsors as his brothers in the boko haram sect that has also vowed to Islamize Nigeria and enforce the retrogressive sharia legal system?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:52am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^ I suspected as much. You are not interested in the answers, are you? Someone posted meaningful responses and I reposted it, along with some others. But here you are still, 4 pages later, DENYING it has happened??
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by meine: 7:55am On Feb 04, 2011
@kunle
What part of the argument don't you understand. He gets donations from people who believe in his project,like I do.I can see why you are so quik to link him with boko haram but all your efforts to pull him down will fail!

Anyway wat does jonathan do and where does he get his funds from?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by dayokanu(m): 7:56am On Feb 04, 2011
Buhari is a former HOS and gets a lifetime salary from the country.

Buhari is a retired General and Generals get perks of office for life. (Someone told me they have 9 soldiers dedicated to each of them for life-Not verified).

Buhari has never run an extravagant campaign ever, reason why he is popular among the poor in the North.

GEJ is a former lecturer up till 1999. We all know how much lecturers earn. He was deputy governor also and we know how much Deputy gvernor are suppoed to earn How did he come about $2.5 m he declared as assets?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:58am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^ Your friend @Beaf tried to claim the $2.4 million was from a Boat business Jonathan owned and ran before he became VP. lol
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by dayokanu(m): 8:01am On Feb 04, 2011
How did a University lecturer who earned about 40k per month pre OBJ times have money to buy a boat?

Or was he selling hand-out to students
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by bkbabe97y(m): 8:02am On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

And pls it is Igbo-not Ibo,let's keep this civil

Its Ibo!

Kill urself!
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by meine: 8:04am On Feb 04, 2011
@OZIN

Your ignorance on political subjects baffles me. PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES OF BUHARI'S CORRUPTION.

All I keep hearing is ptf this,ptf that but I want to hear specifics like how Mr A paid BUhari to get contracts,none of such issue has ever come out til date. All I kip hearing are generalisations.

At least I specifically know that patience jonathan was caught ferrying dollars out of the country. But the case was dismissed!

These ptf issues were planted by buhari's enemies to derail. For the sake of your future. PLS GIVE SPECIFIC DETAILS AND WE WILL VERIFY
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 8:04am On Feb 04, 2011
$2.4 million dollar boat business (since we know say teacher salary, no be anything for naija)!. And this amount did not include his wife's share.  Make you ask @Beaf. im fit talk again say JOnathan inherited it from his dirt poor father . lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OBJ Says Boko-Haram Will End Soon / Disgruntled Politicians Want Igbo Presidency - PDP / What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.