Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,757 members, 7,802,314 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) (12797 Views)

Hardwork And Resilience: The Quadri Olatunji’s Story / Freelancing For Nigerians. Turn Your Skills To Mega Cashout. / Dangote Inaugurates Mega Cement Warehouse In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 8:54pm On Jul 10, 2020
Salewa97:

Ogade Piesianas Group is owned by Tayo Amusan. Don’t disturb me with international breweries.

International breweries already had their name and brand so what are you talking about?

Tayo Amusa established Piesianas Group so don’t bore me with the noise, I don’t have time to be dilly dallying!

International brewery was founded by Omole but later got listed on the stock exchange

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 8:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
coputa:
Ibo has made giant strides in business with the apprentices tutelage from their 2x2 rented shop than any single ethnic group in Africa,unlike the yoruba youths that oluremi tinubu recently reffered to as "LAZY BEGGARS".

You are really suffering from I pass my Neighbours syndrome. Go and cure yourself
Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by RTSC: 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2020
Salewa97:

Eastern Region did not start commercial exploration of crude oil pre-1967 before the war and they are not rich them.

What the bleep is palm oil compared to Cocoa? Do you want me to give you data of the revenue of each region from the marketing boards?

Eastern Region cannot even lace the shoes of the prosperous Western Region.
See below!
Are you talking about palm oil that the British government were already exporting to Europe as colonial masters?

Why was the north almagamated with the South, if the south was not already rich?

You don't know what you are talking about.

I did not say the West was poor. That is a figment of your imagination.

I am saying the igbos of those days led by azikiwe were so nationally dominant that they controlled everything which led to envy.

It didn't matter if it was in the West or north. They were dominant.

That dominance if allowed to continue would have led to a surplus of igbo billionaires.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Salewa97: 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
RTSC:

Are you talking about palm oil that the British government were already exporting to Europe as colonial masters?

Why was the north almagamated with the South, if the south was not already rich?

You don't know what you are talking about.

I did not say the West was poor. That is a figment of your imagination.

I am saying the igbos of those days led by azikiwe were so nationally dominant that they controlled everything which led to envy.

It didn't matter if it was in the West or north. They were dominant.

That dominance if allowed to continue would have led to a surplus of igbo billionaires.

Stop saying nonsense. Which west did the Igbos dominated? What are the Igbos investment in the Western Region?

Are you sure you are okay? Where did the Igbos dominate during the Western Region days?

I’m telling you the Eastern Region is poor compared to the Western Region and that is a fact.

Yes Southern Region was richer during the colonialist era and that’s comprised of the Yoruba lands also. They are all called south and the Lagos colony.

Even Ojuku and Azikwe cannot say the Igbos dominate the west during the regional government, people will just think they are insane to utter such statement.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Salewa97: 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
Ayekotoo:

International brewery was founded by Omole but later got listed on the stock exchange

Yes exactly.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Aphrygian(m): 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
trutharena:

I Dey feel you bro. Oil Dey your head.
I don't like been engrossed in all these tribal fights on nairaland cos I no most Eastern States and I no they can never measure up to southwestern states but seeing Igbos here always waging E-wars on yorubas I decided not to watch by the sideline again because if we don't refute this pple they will rewrite our history.
To yorubas on social media pls always refute this idiots whenever and wherever they make bogus claims because it's like a calculated E-war is going on against yorubas

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Aphrygian(m): 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
trutharena:

I Dey feel you bro. Oil Dey your head.
I don't like been engrossed in all these tribal fights on nairaland cos I no most Eastern States and I no they can never measure up to southwestern states but seeing Igbos here always waging E-wars on yorubas I decided not to watch by the sideline again because if we don't refute this pple they will rewrite our history.
To yorubas on social media pls always refute this idiots whenever and wherever they make bogus claims because it's like a calculated E-war is going on against yorubas......

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Sammy07: 9:09pm On Jul 10, 2020
Aphrygian:

To yorubas on social media pls always refute this idiots whenever and wherever they make bogus claims because it's like a calculated E-war is going on against yorubas......

Sure, that's why the likes of some of us don't engage in politics.

We only engage in refuting chunks of lies by our brothers from the other side of the Niger.

And those on Facebook are doing well too.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by RTSC: 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2020
Salewa97:

Stop saying nonsense. Which west did the Igbos dominated? What are the Igbos investment in the Western Region?

Are you sure you are okay? Where did the Igbos dominate during the Western Region days?

I’m telling you the Eastern Region is poor compared to the Western Region and that is a fact.

Yes Southern Region was richer during the colonialist era and that’s comprised of the Yoruba lands also. They are all called south and the Lagos colony.

Even Ojuku and Azikwe cannot say the Igbos dominate the west during the regional government, people will just think they are insane to utter such statement.
Don't quote me again.

You don't know zilch.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Obamaofusa: 9:13pm On Jul 10, 2020
RTSC:

Are you talking about the same igbos that were so dominant that ahmadu bello had to rally the north in that infamous speech of how igbos have taken over everywhere.

You certainly don't know what you are saying.

I don't blame you.

If not for ojukwu shortsightedness and rashness that ruined a good time, you won't be this deluded today.

You and these your funny jibes. grin

We know Louis Ojukwu.
Maybe you had some other ghost business people,abi? grin
Look old man,you always disappoint young Igbos reading our arguments.
So you do not have any renowned business people even in the olden days that can be named except Louis Ojukwu,and you are dragging business with Yorubas,your seniors.Nwanne,you fall your people's hand oo.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Aphrygian(m): 9:13pm On Jul 10, 2020
Salewa97:

As in my brother e dey tiring oooo, southwest that had odua investment company then; a multi dimensional company(food, banking and hotels), most of them don't no that lafia hotel and wema bank are still the offsprings of the then odua investment even the moribund O'net.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
post=91581586:

Otondo Since he is founder, he should have be the largest shareholder, Peter Obi control the largest Nigeria shares in International brewery that was the reason they influence to nominate Obi of Onitsha as the Chairman of IB

Chairmanship of listed companies on the stock exchange varies just like the banking sector. There is no permanent chairman. Ibukun Awosika was the former chairperson of First Bank but the new chairman is Oba Otudeko. Olodo

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by RTSC: 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2020
Ahmadu bello a ruling northern leader did a video on igbos.

He did not focus on anybody else but igbos.

And somebody with a brain is arguing if igbos dominated.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Salewa97: 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2020
Aphrygian:

As in my brother e dey tiring oooo, southwest that had odua investment company then; a multi dimensional company(food, banking and hotels), most of them don't no that lafia hotel and wema bank are still the offsprings of the then odua investment even the moribund O'net.

I’m telling you.

Yoruba no be their mate.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Salewa97: 9:21pm On Jul 10, 2020
RTSC:
Ahmadu bello a ruling northern leader did a video on igbos.

He did not focus on anybody else but igbos.

And somebody with a brain is arguing if igbos dominated.

He did that because it’s a regional government. Yet, the Igbo keep flocking the Northern Region like refugees and taking up the jobs meant for the Northerners and everyone know the North are not educated much then.

It’s just Akin to the Yorubas flocking the Northern Region in their millions during regional government too and taking up their jobs. Ahmadu bello will say the same thing about Yorubas because the Regional premier had to cater for his people first.

That’s was why he sent the Igbo refugees packing!

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 9:22pm On Jul 10, 2020
awgumayor:
Stop this accommodation bullshit. The person you accommodate is the person you shelters and feeds not an investor like an Igboman. Everything Igbos use in South West they paid for it. They pay rent, they buy lands of which you use the money for your services.

Did they pay for waec and Neco in public schools? No.
Did they pay for school fees except pta levy? No.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2020
Salewa97:

He did that because it’s a regional government. Yet, the Igbo keep flocking the Northern Region like refugees and taking up the jobs meant for the Northerners and everyone know the North are not educated much then.

It’s just Akin to the Yorubas flocking the Northern Region in their millions during regional government too and taking up their jobs. Ahmadu bello will say the same thing about Yorubas because the Regional premier had to cater for his people first.

That’s was why he sent the Igbo refugees packing!
Still waiting for Mega Retail stores own by Yorubas

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
post=91582909:

Fast food own by Igbos

Kilimanjaro

Crunchies

Genesis

Root

Tartrazine

Except Kilimanjoro, nobody knows the rest here in Southwest, Nigerian commercial region.

Every Nigerian knows Chicken republic, Tantalizers, Sweet sensation, Tastee fried chicken, mama Cass et all

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 9:28pm On Jul 10, 2020
Aphrygian:

Igbos control Banking, Retail stores , Hotels, indigenous companies, transportation both land, Air and Sea, leading in Indigenous oil exploration, EPC, IT.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Except Kilimanjoro, nobody knows the rest here in Southwest, Nigerian commercial region.

Every Nigerian knows Chicken republic, Tantalizers, Sweet sensation, Tastee fried chicken, mama Cass et all
Nigeria doesn't end in West Google them, Tantalizer, Sweet sensation, Mama Cass only exist in Southwest

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2020
proeast:

"Yoruba has the largest indigenous companies in Nigeria.." You must be kidding! Where are they?

Most of your mushroom companies have no verifiable websites. What kind of companies are they?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 9:32pm On Jul 10, 2020
Ayekotoo:

Kilimanjoro, Crunchies, Genesis and Tartrazine are all in West, and east and South

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by RTSC: 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
It is igbo flocking to other regions that would make igbos dominate Federal service.

It is igbos flocking to other region that made the vice chancellor of unilag and made non igbo Federal schools to be presided by igbo

The first vice chancellor of unilag is Eni Njoku.

One clown is saying that it was because of igbos flocking to Lagos that made him supersede the Yoruba indigenes.

Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Obamaofusa: 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
Aphrygian:

The Igbos had theirs too and it was called ESIALA but it is long dead because they are not as gifted and business savvy as the Yorubas.
Only God knows why they are dragging business with Yorubas,their benefactors.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202006170468.html

Nigeria: Undying Legacy of Odua Company Limited

17 June 2020
This Day (Lagos)
By Eric Teniola
The South-west governors have reconstituted the board of directors of Odua Company Limited.

The new board is headed by Dr. Lawrence Olusegun Aina (65), past President of West Africa Bankers Association and former President of Otan-Ayegbaju Development Association in Osun state.

Other members of the new board are Chief Segun Ojo, a former Commissioner for Finance, Budget and Economic Planning in Ondo State; Dr. Tola Kasali who served as Commissioner for Rural Development in Lagos State between 2003 and 2007; Seni Adio, the Managing Partner of Copley Partners (Solicitors & Barristers; Mr. Olusegun Olujobi who is ex-Accenture and Energy Industry player and Otunba Bimbo Ashiru, a renowned banker and immediate past Commissioner for Commerce and Industry in Ogun state.

The Group Managing Director of the Company is Mr. Adewale Abiodun Raji, a former Managing Director of PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc., who was recently reappointed for another term. The inauguration of the new board is a welcome development, for Odua Investment Company is one of the three regional groupings in the country.

The other two bodies are the Interim Common Services Agency for Northern Region and Eastern States Interim Assets and Liabilities Agency (ESIALA), which we don't hear of, these days.

Profitability was achieved by Odua Company between 2014 and 2018, an unprecedented dividend of N1.2 billion was paid.

The fulcrum of credible strategic partnership is gradually taking shape with the recent strides in the Imeko Tomato to Paste Project and the Westlink Iconic Estate JV at Alakia, Ibadan. These and many more like the Power Generation Project at Ikeja, The Farming Company Limited JV at Oke-Ako Ekiti, the Vitalo Brand Project are initiatives that are unfolding to grow the revenue base of the Company.

The Odua Investment Company is an offshoot of an Economic body of the Action Group, which came to power in 1952 in Western Region.

The Action group (Egbe Afenifere) led by Chief Obafemi Awolowo was formed on March 21, 1951 at the Oke-Bola residence of Chief Awolowo in Ibadan. The house still stands today.

I remember with nostalgia when I was a reporter in the Nigerian Tribune in 1972, I used to collect stories on phone in that house on the Oniru land case dispatched by the Nigerian Tribune correspondent in Lagos, Mr Bayo Osiyemi. It was that time I met Chief Awolowo for the first time in my life.

I almost fainted seeing the man bearing in mind the myth I grew up with about Chief Awolowo in my home town in Idanre in Ondo state. Chief Obafemi Awolowo, its leader later stated that the party had been formed by himself and seven others at a meeting in his house in Ibadan on March 26, 1950.

The seven others who formed Action Group with Chief Awolowo were Chief Samuel Olatunbosun Shonibare (1920-1964), then manager, UAC (Technical) Ltd, Lagos, later Managing Director of the Amalgamated Press of Nigeria Limited and Federal Publicity Secretary of the Action Group; Chief Abiodun Akerele, a lawyer; S.T. Oredein, Secretary of the British-American Tobacco Company (BATC) Workers' Union, later Principal organizing Secretary of the Action Group in the Western Region; Olatunji Dosunmu, a journalist, later Administrative Secretary of the Action Group in the Western Region; J. Ola Adigun, a journalist; Adeniga Akinsanya, Manager of the African Press Ltd, Ibadan and Ayo Akinsanya, a chemist and a druggist.

At the convention of the party later, the following were elected--Chief Obafemi Awolowo (President), Dr. J.A. Doherty (Vice-President, West), Dr. E.O. Awduche (Vice-President, East), Alhaji Sule Maito (Vice-President, North), Mr. Ayotunde Rosiji (Federal Secretary), Alhaji S. O. Gbadamosi (Federal Treasurer), Mr. S.O. Shonibare (Federal Publicity Secretary), Mr. A.M.O. Akinloye (Legal Adviser, West), Mr. A. Adeoba (Legal Adviser, East), Rev. E.O. Alayande (Party Chaplain), Malam M.S. Yabagi (Party Imam), Dr. Akinola Maja (Father of the Party), Chief S.L. Akintola (Deputy Leader), Mr. S.T. Oredein (Principal Organising Secretary), Mr. O. Agunbiade- Bamishe (Party Manager) and Mr. Olatunji Dosunmu (Administrative Secretary).

The other members of the party at the convention were Chief F.R.A. Williams, Chief Anthony Enahoro, Chief T. A. Odutola, Chief G. Akin Deko, Mr. M.A. Ajasin, Prince Adeleke Adedoyin, Chief S.A. Tinubu, Mr. S.O. Ighodaro, Mr. Nduka Eze, Mr.O.N. Rewane, Mr. E.O. Eyo, Mr. S.G. Ikoku, Prince R.N. Takon, Mr. A.J.U. Ekong, Mr. S.J. Una, Mr. Okoi Arikpo, Mr. J.A. Agba, Chief Okim Okwa Ahang, Mr. George Lawson, Miss R.T. Brown, Mr. B.E. Mbalu, Mr. J.S. Olawoyin, Chief D.O. Sanyaolu, Mr. D. Adesina, Mr. M.O. Ikongbe, Mr. O.Olu Pinnock, Mr.J.S. Tejuoso, Mr. G.B. Olowu, Alfa K.S. Oba, Mr. D.O. Ogunmade, Mr. Omoniyi Olanipekun, Mr. Peter Onu and Mr. Alex Peters.

The party held its first inauguration in Owo in the present Ondo state on 28 April, 1952 and they were hosted by the legendary Olowo of Owo, Sir James Titus Olateru Olagbegi II (1910-1998).

In setting up the Action Group, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, had two broad objectives in mind, one was political, and the other was economical.

Awolowo believed at that time that political party funding are the methods that a political party uses to raise money for campaign and routine activities.

As for the political, he enlisted Chief Akintola, Chief Enahoro and others. That political arrangement broke down later.

As for the economic, he enlisted Chief Samuel Olatunbosun Shonibare (19201-1964), Chief Sule Oyesola Gbadamosi from Ikorodu and Chief Alfred Ogbeyiwa Erewarone Rewane (1916-1995) alias Osabokolo from Warri, who later became Chairman Western Nigeria Development Company.

In terms of managing business, Shonibare, Rewane and Gbadamosi were gifted. They were capable of turning anything to an asset.

It was the same scenario that played out in South Africa in 1994 when President Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (1918-2013) encouraged the then Vice President Thambo Mvuyelwa Mbeki (77) to be in charge of government while the present President of South Africa, Mr. Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa (67), then secretary of the National Union of Mine Workers to be in charge of the businesses for the African National Congress.

The arrangement worked then in that it reduced rivalry. It paid off for Ramaphosa who has an estimated net worth of $450million as of 2018, with 31poperties and previously-held notable ownership in companies such as McDonald's South Africa, chair of the board for MTN and member of the board for Lomnin

Shonibare and his group established the National Investment Company along with Chief Rewane and Chief Gbadamosi. It was this company that built the Western House in Lagos, Cocoa house in Ibadan and Bristol hotel in Lagos.

It was the same company that built most of the companies that are under Odua Investment Company today. It was this group that was behind the Western Region partnership in the establishment of worldwide redifusion in Ibadan, Nigerian Plastic Company (1954), Ibadan, Nidogas, Lagos, Nigersol Construction Company (1959), Nigerian Water Resources Development Company (1959), Ibadan, Nigerian Pre-Pressed and Concrete Company, Abeokuta, Crittal Hope Nigerian Ltd., Mushin, Vono (West Africa) Mushin, Tower Aluminium Ltd Ikeja, Asbestos Cement, Ikeja, Nigerian Sugar Company, Apapa, Nigerian Mosaic and Glass Manufacturing Company, Ikeja, Pioneer Biscuit Company, Apapa, West African Portland Company, Ewekoro, Nigerian Textile Mills Ltd., Ikeja.

Odua Investment Company was formally established in 1976 when Ondo and Ogun states were created out of Western state. The company was to take charge of the assets and liabilities of the whole Western Region. As a reporter with The Nigerian Herald at that time, I covered the inauguration of the new company at Cocoa house in Ibadan.

The pioneer Group Managing Director of the Company then was Mr. Christopher Sunday Olatunji Akande. Mr. Akande (1927-2005) from Arigidi, Akoko in Ondo state.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Aphrygian(m): 9:35pm On Jul 10, 2020
post=91587233:

Still waiting for Mega Retail stores own by Yorubas
So it is now mega retail stores and no more Yoruba retail stores? My brother you are not doing well, walahi arguing with you is like beating a dead horse.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by knowledgeable: 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
awgumayor:
Stop this accommodation bullshit. The person you accommodate is the person you shelters and feeds not an investor like an Igboman. Everything Igbos use in South West they paid for it. They pay rent, they buy lands of which you use the money for your services.

.. Plus the so called accommodation, they keep talking about is a skewed one. Right after the civil war, a deliberate skewed policies from successive federal governments were implemented to have Lagos enjoy the monopoly of international seaport, international airport, seat of all major oil companies in Nigeria and etc, therefore imposing an un wellcome forced migration of Igbos into Lagos( Igbos are merchants and will gravitate were those infrastructures are). These are major bounties for them after the civil war of genocide against the Igbos. Those monopolies have become counter productive as they are now hypocritically talking about accommodating Igbos in the SW, but any mention of separation, you will hear them crying about one Nigeria.

They are only accommodating their bounties not Igbos.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ingenuity And Resilience From 2×2 To Mega (photos) by Ayekotoo(m): 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
post=91583634:

Can you list popular retail stores own by Yorubas with there branches

Chairman Justrite super store
Ayo Aderinwale

He is currently the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Justrite Limited, one of the largest superstores in Lagos and Ogun States; Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Business School Netherlands and Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Bells Educational Services, as well as the Bells Comprehensive Secondary School for Boys and Girls.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Owner+of+Justrite&oq=owner+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j35i39j0j69i61.1466j0j4&client=ms-android-gionee&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Adulterated Kerosene Set Evbuotubu Market Ablaze In Benin (photos & Video) / Coscharistech Gets NITDA Approval For Production Of Cosmos Computers / Dangote Refinery To Accelerate European Trade Decline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.