Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Massob Abandons Agitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massob Abandons Agitation (3511 Views)

Biafra Agitation: Arewa Youths Write ACF, NEF / Pro-jonathan Elements Behind Renewed Agitation For Biafra - Senator Sani / PDP Chieftain Abandons Agbada, Jumps Fence Evading Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massob Abandons Agitation by Beaf: 2:02pm On Feb 03, 2011
MASSOB abandons agitation for Biafra .
Thursday, 03 February 2011 03:37
Chuma Onwuegbusi, Onitsha

Several years after its formation, with the primary aim of reestablishing the defunct Republic of Biafra, the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has renounced its own existence.

MASSOB also announced the cessation of all acts of hostility against the Nigerian state.

The declaration by MASSOB is coming 24 hours after it reversed its earlier decision not to participate in the voter registration, because its members regarded themselves as Biafrans, not Nigerians.

MASSOB, which spoke through its Director of Operations, Comrade Maduewesi Okonkwo, yesterday, expressed its readiness to support the reelection bid of President Goodluck Jonathan

Okonkwo disclosed that MASSOB was also withdrawing all its members that were, hitherto, attached to the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND) and would also recall all Biafran currencies in circulation.

He said MASSOB leader, Chief Ralph Uwazurike, would soon be making an official announcement on the development.

He added: “With the failing health of our spiritual leader, the Ikemba of Nnewi, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, our continued struggle for the realisation of a state of Biafra is also coming to an end.”

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74494:-massob-abandons-agitation-for-biafra&catid=43:news&Itemid=799
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by hakanai(m): 2:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
you never see !!!!!
Treason is losing ground and Nigeria is winning be it MEND,Boko Haram,MASSOB or what ever !!!! Nigeria is great.
I wish and pray for Ojukwu's quick recovery and good health. sad
The victory is not for GEJ or PDP it is for Nigerians and Nigeria !!!! undecided
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by chosen04(f): 6:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
How much did Jonathan pay this paper to write this tras? . . . . . . . .MASSOB abandons agitation cos of Jonathan? I dey laff.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by EzeUche2(m): 6:56pm On Feb 03, 2011
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by fstranger1: 7:00pm On Feb 03, 2011
yeye people

cowards!

always scared to die, very typical
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Afam4eva(m): 7:03pm On Feb 03, 2011
fstranger1:

yeye people

cowards!

always scared to die, very typical
The struggle has existed before you were born, COW
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by ezeagu(m): 7:07pm On Feb 03, 2011
So they lose hundreds of members through military murders, flood the east with Biafra flags and now they renounce their movement weeks before the election because of Jonathan? I'll wait and see.

afam4eva:

The struggle has existed before you were born, COW

Install an anti-virus software and you won't be exposed to any programmed viruses anymore.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Knight1(m): 7:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
[/quote][quote]MASSOB also announced the cessation of all acts of hostility against the Nigerian state.

they copied that one from pirates of the caribbean grin
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 8:21pm On Feb 03, 2011
Abandons what agitation? For Goodluck Jonathan?!! I laugh. Compass Newspaper is always filled with BS.

[size=15pt]Biafran struggle still on —Uwazuruike
[/size]
From VAL OKARA, Owerri

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Leader of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, has said that the struggle for the state of Biafra is still on.

He said that his group will keep pressing for the state of Biafra until this is achieved, revealing that MASSOB has built an estate for wounded Biafran soldiers and MASSOB members in Okwe, Okigwe, with a view to taking care of them.

In this interview, Uwazuruike spoke on his struggle and why MASSOB encouraged Igbo to participate in the current voters’ registration.

What informed your group (MASSOB) to build a housing estate for wounded Biafra war veterans?
The project is for the rehabilitation of wounded Biafra soldiers and I don’t like the word ex-Biafra soldiers because the struggle has not stopped and Biafra is still alive. And outside them, some members of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) are also wounded but we are trying to rehabilitate those who were wounded during the Biafran war. The purpose of setting up the place is to give them a sense of belonging, since they suffered for the majority of Biafrans and they are just abandoned in Orji River Camp, in Enugu State and their efforts are still being remembered. As long as the struggle continues, they are the heroes and ours started where their own stopped. We did the construction of the housing estate to accommodate them and their families.

The land is about 5, 000 acres, not plots. We have been able to pay compensation to 28 families whose lands were acquired and three families who refuse compensation and went to court, but the community is looking into the matter. The community is appealing to them to withdraw their case from the court because the project is for the welfare of the Biafrans and the underprivileged.

The project is capital intensive.
Where do you source the funds to execute the project?

Nobody has contributed a dime for the project, except the MASSOB members who are paying their dues. No prominent Igbo man has contributed a dime for the project, except MASSOB members.

What other facilities do you want to put in place in the area?
We want to build old people’s home in addition to the housing estate, which will be about 50 buildings. The old people will include our own members who have contributed to the struggle and members of the public. We want to put up a clinic next month, to look after the people already transferred from Orji River Camp. The clinic would be manned by some qualified medical doctors and nurses, who will be available on a daily basis to attend to the wounded Biafran soldiers.

We want to have a recreation centre in the place for the children and members of the public. We want to have what we call Ojukwu’s House that will accommodate about 5, 000 people and the centre at Okwe in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State is just like the capital of Biafra. It is why we are taking much time not to abuse the area by setting up irrelevant structures in the area. The place will also have a portion where we will bury the unknown Biafran heroes (soldiers)

How do intend to see the welfare of the Biafran veterans transferred form Orji River to this area?

For the past five years, we have been supplying them with food items at the Orji River Camp, but we told them that they should not go to the press for any reason. Each month we buy food items and send to them and we have been doing it for the past five years.
Although, it was not enough because some of their children have to go to school and some are ready in the higher institutions. We brought them here to take adequate care of them and to see that none of their children drop from school. At Orji River, they are being attacked by wild animals, thieves and even crushed by vehicles. And if any of them dies, he will be buried here because this is Biafran land, unless where the family of the decreased thinks otherwise; but most Biafrans and MASSOB will like to be buried opposite the Freedom House.

Still on funding, do you intend to reach out to the international donors and wealthy Nigerians for assistance?
Why not? But, I wouldn’t like it to be the type of thing the non-governmental organisations are doing. The NGOs we have in Nigeria are extorting money from people and international bodies. We are not interested in such programmes. This is something we are doing for ourselves and right now we are sourcing the funds internally, but if we have any assistance from the international community the people concerned will benefit from it. We don’t want to use it as a campaign, like other NGOs to get funds from members of the public and we don’t even intend talking to international community and other volunteers now, so that people will not abuse it. As I said earlier, for the past five years we have been sustaining them at the Orji River Camp and nobody knows about it. I am not a politician and I am not contesting for any election and I don’t want anybody to know what I am doing; rather I am doing it for my people.

For sometime now, MASSOB activities have slowed down. What is happening?
The struggle is more than on now and as far as we have relocated the wounded Biafran war veterans to Okwe, from Orji River Camp, they are the source of our inspiration. They are the roots of our struggle and each morning I wake up, I see them before any other thing. They remind me of the Biafran war and when I see them, it reminds me that the struggle has not ended and it makes me to continue because what they have fought for will never be in vain and we have to continue to fight for it until we get it. For anybody to think that l have abandoned the struggle, the person must be sick, because one cannot abandon his life; the struggle is my life and I have no other ambition on earth than to actualize Biafra.

How do your people feel that you cited this project in your home town, Okwe?
They are very happy. You can see a mini-market on the site bubbling and moreover when we have meetings, the people are very happy. As I told you earlier, about three families went to court, but the community is against them.

Are they still facing harassment from the Nigerian security operatives?
Well, I think they are tired, but I am not tired and for the past three months, I have not gone to prison and I feel like going to prison any of these days because it is part of the struggle. And, if you stay for a long time and you don’t go to prison, it looks as if nothing is happening. So, I don’t know why they are feeling tired now and I want them to come. I am inviting them and let them not forget that the struggle is still on; so I am not afraid of that.

You have been accused of going to prison to get funds from the international donors/organisation?

I have never got a kobo from any country in the world and I don’t have access to any international body/organisation. No NGO in Nigeria or outside the country has given me any dime. I don’t have connection with outside world except our members.

MASSOB has been accused of supporting a particular political party for the coming elections in the country?

MASSOB is apolitical and Uwazuruike is apolitical and we are not members of any political party and as a matter of fact, we are not Nigerians. I am not a Nigerian, I am a Biafran and every member of MASSOB is a Biafran. We don’t participate in Nigerian politics; so can we support no Nigerian political party. Dim Odimegwu Chukwuemeka Ojukwu is our hero, our father and we do support him, but when it has to do with Nigerian politics, we declined because we are not part of it. For anybody to say that Uwazuruike or MASSOB is supporting any Nigerian political party, that person is wrong.

Our organisation has taken a stand that all MASSOB members should register in this voters registration exercise for good governance. As of today, the Biafran territory is being occupied by Nigeria and is from Nigeria itself that we shall have Biafra. We believed that we are not Nigerians; we are Biafrans, but our territory is occupied by Nigeria. We will not delude ourselves on the fact that we are still in Nigeria. The leadership of MASSOB has decided that our members should go and register in the voters’ registration and that does not, in anyway, make us Nigerians because roads have to be built, electricity has to be provided and there must be water. It is only when you vote good people that will provide these amenities and if you refuse to vote, bad people will be in government and your condition will worsen. I remember when we asked our members (Ndigbo) not to take part in the census; because of it, the population of Ndigbo came to a very low level; then some people started blaming MASSOB leadership and we don’t have to make that mistake again. Even now I asked all the Igbo to register in this exercise.

By asking your members to register in the ongoing voters’ registration, is it not a way of given credence to the Nigerian government?

No, No, I said go and register and if you register you are not forced to vote during the general elections. You may register and on the voting day you may refused to vote. We asked them to register and vote, when Biafra is got, we know that we got our independence and to administer our territory. Inasmuch as we are still in Nigeria and our economy is being managed by Nigerian authorities, we are stakeholders too. You see what is happening across the globe. Until referendum is conducted, you will not say that you have got sovereignty or your own government. Whatever we are doing is for the welfare of our people, who believe in our cause. It is not good to disfranchise ourselves; it is disadvantageous to us.

You first register to have that empowerment to vote and you decide not to vote; that is your own decision; but if you don’t register you have disempowered yourself. If your child wants to register tomorrow in any of the government owned schools, he or she maybe asked to bring his father’s registration card and if he has no voter’s card, the child maybe denied admission; so I don’t want my members to be incapacitated. First of all, ensure that you are qualified, but you may refuse to vote.
I personally encourage voting because if you fail to vote bad people will take over the government and they will dictate for you.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/jan/29/national-29-01-2011-0019.htm
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by EzeUche2(m): 8:24pm On Feb 03, 2011
This is unbelievable. I cannot believe I am reading this. The Igbo leadership has failed us.

MASSOB, Ohanaeze, Igbo politicians. All of them! For the sake of their Messiah GEJ.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 8:31pm On Feb 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

This is unbelievable. I cannot believe I am reading this. The Igbo leadership has failed us.

MASSOB, Ohanaeze, Igbo politicians. All of them! For the sake of their Messiah GEJ.

Ezeuche read what I just posted. MASSOB is in full effect.The compass newspaper nah lie.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Obiagu1(m): 8:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

They all have no bearing.

I will liberate my people!
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by EzeUche2(m): 8:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
Chyz*:

Ezeuche read what I just posted. MASSOB is in full effect.The compass newspaper nah lie.

Are you sure about this? MASSOB needs to change its orientation and focus on protecting Igbo interest. By any means necessary.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by TippyTop(m): 8:38pm On Feb 03, 2011
Obiagu1:

They all have no bearing.

HOW?
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

Are you sure about this? MASSOB needs to change its orientation and focus on protecting Igbo interest. By any means necessary.

I've just highlighted a section that compass have used to spew their lie. They would just abandon such a cause during a historic time of African revolution and at a time when an African country has just announced a smooth secession. If anything they would do things underground but definitely not abandon their cause.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Feb 03, 2011
Obiagu1:

Bold statement. I wonder how long this messiah phase will last, all things considered.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by ChinenyeN(m): 8:47pm On Feb 03, 2011
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2011
haka_nai:

you never see !!!!!
Treason is losing ground and Nigeria is winning be it MEND,Boko Haram,MASSOB or what ever !!!! Nigeria is great.
I wish and pray for Ojukwu's quick recovery and good health. sad
The victory is not for GEJ or PDP it is for Nigerians and Nigeria !!!! undecided

that's the way forward brother smiley
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 8:58pm On Feb 03, 2011
@op

it's about time they stop this nonsense of massop, the war is over undecided

Obiagu1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin to where Gabon grin grin grin grin

look our igbo people are already liberated, all you will do is give them more pain and hurt brother
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Obiagu1(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2011
Tippy Top:

HOW?
ChinenyeN:

Bold statement. I wonder how long this messiah phase will last, all things considered.

It's all about getting my own personal acts together, get the organisation running underground, and wait for the right time.
If opportunity opens, then come out in full force without relenting.

You don't form organisations like MASSOB during a period of tranquility and expect to make a headway. MASSOB was formed in 1999 when we just started the 4th republic so I never expected them to succeed.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2011
Chyz*:

Abandons what agitation? For Goodluck Jonathan?!! I laugh. Compass Newspaper is always filled with BS.

your post is old,.,. it was 29 of january

this is feburary  undecided
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by jason123: 9:00pm On Feb 03, 2011
@ Topic,

All because of GEJ?? LOL. Well Goodluck to MASSOB. WE ARE ONE NIGERIA grin [size=5pt]We are one Nigeria by force undecided sad[/size]
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 9:00pm On Feb 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

gbammm

intelligent as usual cheesy
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 9:02pm On Feb 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

okay, now you are right
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by seanet03: 9:08pm On Feb 03, 2011
Yes, typical ibo man, will do anything to get a share of a stolen funds at the Federal level, ojukwu did the same in 79 when he abandoned the ibos and team up with NPN comprising people who massacre ibos during the civil war just because he needs federal cash. Men its a tradition of ibos to betray even their fathers.
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's all about getting my own personal acts together, get the organisation running underground, and wait for the right time.
If opportunity opens, then come out in full force without relenting.

Word.Love the spirit. cool
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by ezeagu(m): 10:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
If anything, MASSOB is growing everyday. You should take a trip to a state like Imo and see how the motor ways are lined with Biafran flags. shocked
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by aljharem(m): 10:08pm On Feb 03, 2011
ezeagu:

If anything, MASSOB is growing everyday. You should take a trip to a state like Imo and see how the motor ways are lined with Biafran flags. shocked
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lol lol lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lol  lol lol  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

keep decieving yourself grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin kai you no kill pesin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

looooool grin grin grin grin
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 10:12pm On Feb 03, 2011
ezeagu:

Not surprised,Imo is the heartland. cool
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by ezeagu(m): 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2011
Who actually reads 'Compass'?
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by jason123: 10:16pm On Feb 03, 2011
Chyz*:

Not surprised,Imo is the heartland. cool

What is it with your signature undecided
Re: Massob Abandons Agitation by Chyz2: 10:22pm On Feb 03, 2011
ezeagu:

Who actually reads 'Compass'?

No one. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MD Of Federal Neuropsy. Hopsital Enugu Under ICPC Investigation / Faces Of New Four Ministerial Nominees As Confirmed(pic) / The state of roads in Delta State's Capital Asaba at Night (HILARIOUS PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.