Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,422 members, 7,781,229 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:59 AM

Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? (1900 Views)

Eko Row: Benin People ‘Owned’ Lagos, Awori Paid Royalties To Them - Erelu Abiola / Sen Ifeanyi Ubah Restores Peace Between Igbos And Yorubas In Lagos State / BREAKING NEWS: Heavy Fighting Between Igbos And Hausa Ongoing In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by bigpriik: 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2020
the way Igbos outside the southeast claim Benin origin makes me wonder.i need an intelligent answer for this.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by nextdoor84(m): 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2020
bigpriik:
the way Igbos outside the southeast claim Benin origin makes me wonder.i need an intelligent answer for this.

All ethnic groups in southern Nigeria are related but our stupidity won't let us see it!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by illicit(m): 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2020
We are one big family
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by helinues: 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by KAHBOOM: 5:46pm On Jul 10, 2020
Yes o

We share ancestral relation tru Adam and Eve

Another thread aimed at causing Igbo hate..Na una go taya

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by daroz(m): 7:55pm On Jul 10, 2020
Never, we Edo can never ever be related to the Igbos. I don’t hate them , but we don’t have anything in common. angry

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Jimi24: 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
All Nigerian tribes except Fulani and the C. River/ Akwa complex are Nok civilization derived ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Iamgrey5(m): 10:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
Igbos and Bini are brothers
Very close
I will advise the rest of Nigerians to start seeing Benins as part of BIAFRA
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Abohboy: 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2020
All southern Nigerian tribes and languages are related and re from the Niger congo language and ethnic group, but tribalism split us.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Binikingdowm: 1:52am On Jul 11, 2020
Related to igbos? Ew no. Our royal blood will be stain.

I think you wanted to say people that claim benin origin once lived in benin kingdom

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Binikingdowm: 1:52am On Jul 11, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Igbos and Bini are brothers

Very close

I will advise the rest of Nigerians to start seeing Benins as part of BIAFRA
you are insane

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by rdokoye: 2:16am On Jul 11, 2020
Binikingdowm:
Related to igbos? Ew no. Our royal blood will be stain.

I think you wanted to say people that claim benin origin once lived in benin kingdom

What's so great about being Bini? Or is this more of that puffed up pride, so frequently displayed by the emotionally driven.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by OruExpress: 3:15am On Jul 11, 2020
Jimi24:
All Nigerian tribes except Fulani and the C. River/ Akwa complex are Nok civilization derived ethnic groups.

igbo is older than nok

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by ludd2018: 3:30am On Jul 11, 2020
No but there are some ethic GPS in edo that are related to Igbo like esan people and Igboakiri called Igbanke people....they migrated from from Igbo land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Punishment1: 6:00am On Jul 11, 2020
ludd2018:
No but there are some ethic GPS in edo that are related to Igbo like esan people and Igboakiri called Igbanke people....they migrated from from Igbo land.

There's a village in Igueben called Idumunoka that traces their origin to Awka, the present day capital of Anambra State.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by EzeCanada: 6:01am On Jul 11, 2020
The Edo's migrated from a place known as Igodo within the the Ancient Eri Kingdom - Also known as the The Iduu Eri Kingdom. The Iduu Ezeora dynasty is the the oldest civilization in Africa with the seat of power located at Enugwu Aguleri.

Learn more from the links below:

https://www.erikingdom.com/

https://books.google.ca/books?id=DDDZAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=iduu&source=bl&ots=ccuNXite4B&sig=ACfU3U1eODKVZoCsQ9BEreuKA_olq90N4g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK_KrxwMTqAhVNnOAKHVNfA40Q6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=iduu&f=false

Edo is the corruption of the word iduu. Till date, the edo royal house use the term iduu in their nomenclature ( example are the edo camps in Lagos such as Idu-mota, Idu-magbo e.t.c).
The Edo royal house still visits Igodo a place in Enugwu aguleri for traditional rites till date

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by OruExpress: 6:05am On Jul 11, 2020
Punishment1:

There's a village in Igueben called Idumunoka that traces their origin to Awka, the present day capital of Anambra State.

I'm willing to bet it was originally named Idu Umu Oka. Interesting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by darwin66109: 6:06am On Jul 11, 2020
Ika folks be like "we are not Igbos we're Edo"
Meanwhile every one down south know them to be igbos..it beat me imagination

Same with ikwere peps and other aniomas

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by OruExpress: 6:16am On Jul 11, 2020
Link between Benin and Igbo

Most if not all southern Nigerian ethnic groups originate from what we call Igbo land. This is confirmed by Igbo being the oldest of the Kwa languages, the fundamentals of the spiritual practices being explicitly Igbo origin (Divination in Edo is Afa Ominigbo, market days Eken Oyen Ukwo Aho from Eke Orie Nkwo Afor). The Oba of Bini sees himself as a 'renter' who must, every year 'buy' the land from the priests of the Uwen cult. If you know about Uwa in igbo cosmology, you'll understand what's happening in this exchange.

At the same time Benin was a city filled with people from all over the region and beyond. It was a multilingual city. According to the Portugese when you reached it's gates you were not allowed in until the found a person that spoke your language to guide you. People from all over Igbo land lived in the City of Bini as people from all over live in the city of Lagos now, for example.

Then there's the fact that Bini is an empire. Many of the Igbos that say they 'came from benin' were subjects to an EMPIRE. Unfortunately Nigerians don't understand English to justify their passion for it and so we regularly destroy ourselves from ignorance of the language.

As an EMPIRE Benin controlled NATIONS and ETHNICITIES beyond it's own. Most of the people under the rule of the Oba of Benin were not Bini as most of the people under the rule of the British Empire were not British.

There were many Igbo NATIONS that had, at one point in their history of another, fallen under the control of the Oba's empire. This did not make them 'edo' or 'from Benin, but as history is told, in english, by people that don't understand english or history, 'we were subjects of the Oba' becomes 'we migrated from Benin'.

As someone already said, all of the Southern Nigeria, we are the same people. It is only a stark, unrepentant devotion to ignorance that allows us to continue wallowing as we do. I grew up in America and I grew up respecting all of these ethnic groups as separate, and as Nigerians tried to convince me, radically different. But I will here Igala or hear Bini and 25-50% of the languages words overlap with Igbo. I can see this with my rudimentary level Igbo. I then turn around and look at Nigeria and wonder why I can see this from all the way over there and someone born and raised in Nigeria will go to Esan from Onitsha and think he's in an exotic land.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by naijanaso: 7:40am On Jul 11, 2020
Are you guys not tired of trying to drag every kingdom into the Igbo folk? One day Una go say South Sudan na Igbo. Algeria na Igbo. Even Saudi Arabia na Igbo. Abeg dey your dey.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Sammy07: 7:56am On Jul 11, 2020
Well, Onisha throne is Benin throne

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Bekool(m): 8:11am On Jul 11, 2020
EzeCanada:
The Edo's migrated from a place known as Igodo within the the Ancient Eri Kingdom - Also known as the The Iduu Eri Kingdom. The Iduu Ezeora dynasty is the the oldest civilization in Africa with the seat of power located at Enugwu Aguleri.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=DDDZAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=iduu&source=bl&ots=ccuNXite4B&sig=ACfU3U1eODKVZoCsQ9BEreuKA_olq90N4g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK_KrxwMTqAhVNnOAKHVNfA40Q6AEwDHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=iduu&f=false

Edo is the corruption of the word iduu. Till date, the edo royal house use the term iduu in their nomenclature ( example are the edo camps in Lagos such as Idu-mota, Idu-magbo e.t.c).
The Edo royal house still visits Igodo a place in Enugwu aguleri for traditional rites till date

Wow I never knew all these before but why are most of edo people still joining the afonjas to hate on the igbos?
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Zooposki(f): 8:20am On Jul 11, 2020
Bekool:

Wow I never knew all these before but why are most of edo people still joining the afonjas to hate on the igbos?

Igbos lie a lot when it comes to historical matters. Don’t believe them. Seems they are no longer claiming to be Jews. Now it is Benin Kingdom they want to claim.

6 Likes

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by hammer3: 8:27am On Jul 11, 2020
IGBO HAVE NO ANCESTRAL LINK WITH BENIN.

IGBO RELATIONSHIP WAS WITH IDU KINGDOM, LOCATED IN PRESENT DAY BENIN.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by StreetFight: 9:28am On Jul 11, 2020
Maybe there is. Benin warriors might have enslaved Igbos several centuries ago.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by StreetFight: 9:30am On Jul 11, 2020
Bekool:

Igbos claim everyone hates them. Ikweres hate Igbos, Ijaws hate Igbos. Itshekiris hate Igbos. Kalabaris hate Igbos. Benin's hate Igbos. Yorubas hate Igbos. Efiks hate Igbos. Ibiobios hate Igbos. Igalas hate Igbos. TIV's hate Igbos. Fulanis hate Igbos. Hausa's hate Igbos. Kanuris hate Igbos.

Even Igbos hate Igbos. Abians hate Ebonyians. Anambrarians hate Ebonyi and.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by IgbalodeRaymond: 9:31am On Jul 11, 2020
StreetFight:
Maybe there is. Benin warriors might have enslaved Igbos several centuries ago.
mynd44 lalasticlala seun
Rule 2
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by JonDon12: 9:34am On Jul 11, 2020
nextdoor84:

All ethnic groups in southern Nigeria are related but our stupidity won't let us see it!
Well said
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by StreetFight: 9:39am On Jul 11, 2020
IgbalodeRaymond:
mynd44 lalasticlala seun
Rule 2

Ramoni, Ramoni, Ramoni, kini mo se fun e? Wetin I buy for your hand wey I never pay? Leave me nah. Since Interpol arrested your namesake Ramoni Hushpuppi, you have been behaving erratic and unstable. Go and chill. If I don't mention you, then keep your mouth shut and mind your business if you have any.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Dedetwo(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2020
EzeCanada:

You have a solid historic pointer in the above post.
Re: Is There Any Historical Or Ancestral Link Between Igbos And Benin People ? by Dedetwo(m): 10:36am On Jul 11, 2020
Sammy07:
Well, Onisha throne is Benin throne

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/11905116_11595434screenshot20200524133505jpeg871f860ac7bf6d4b695b15488d3cb6e9_jpeg4ac10c5f7d265875e14ed2bd019da975

Please stop making fool out of yourself by posting junks. The clowns you claimed they founded Onicha do not even know the connotation of the word, Onicha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Northern Governor Responsible For Boko Haram Revealed!!! / Buhari's Official Driver Dies Inside Aso Rock / More Pictures Of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.