Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. (2581 Views)

This Is How Lawyers Advertise Themselves With Their Cars (Photos) / Igbo Big Boys Storm Their Village With Their Cars For Christmas. (photos, Video) / Pictures Of People On Dinner Dates With Their Cars Go Viral On Twitter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 8:07am On Jul 11, 2020
I visited nigeria 4 times last year. I noticed a lot of things about car owners in nigeria.
1. A lot of them do not know how to check or
refill engine oil or brake fluids in their car.
2. Most cars in nigeria have engine lights always
showing but it's disregarded. I asked my sister
about this and she jokingly said most nigerians
will not buy a car that the engine warning light
is not showing. FYI, engine warning light
showing means you have an engine problem.
3 . Most Nigerians Don't know their car tyre
pressure. This is why tyres burst. Your car
must have the same tyre size and the same
pressure. All the information you need about
your car tyres are written on the front
passenger door panel. Just open the front
passenger door and look.
4 . Most tyres are worn out. You can literally see
the threads of some tyres in some cars.
5 . Nigerians always drive at night with the full
blast of their car head lamps. They never dim
them.
6 .Most naija drivers do not bother to check their
break lights or indicator or parking lights.
7 . Most nigerian drivers don't indicate when they
want to turn left or right.
8 . I don't even want to talk about wheel
balancing or alignment cus naija roads no go
even let you know whether your car is aligned
and balanced.
9 . The issue of right of way is non existent in
nigeria. Everything na can you put head first
before the other car? If you manage put head
first it automatically becomes the job of the
other driver not to jam you grin
10 . There is no good driver in Nigeria.
Please add yours.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:22am On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
I visited nigeria 4 times last year. I noticed a lot of things about car owners in nigeria.
passenger door and look.
5 . Nigerians always drive at night with the full
them.
and balanced.
9 . The issue of right of way is non existent in
Please add yours.

Hand suppose touch you for this rubbish wey you talk.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by Abdulsobur02: 8:26am On Jul 11, 2020
You are not serious no good driver in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by uchman(m): 8:34am On Jul 11, 2020
I dont blame you @ No5
Yes we drive with our headlamps on and fully blaring on the high way because government did not install street lights along our highways unlike elsewhere.

Make I talk truth...

That No9 is so so true and e dey vex me well... Those commercial bus drivers are so guilty of that and I always feel like slapping them...

lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by SamuelLoch: 8:37am On Jul 11, 2020
How many car owners did you interact with during your visit to Nigeria?
How many states did you evaluate in the course of your research?
How many cars did you drive to verify your assertions?

By the way, asking just your sister is not enough to generalize your opinion.

I'm not in anyway saying that, "you're wrong..." I can attest to some because I've once had encounter with probably one or two persons but OP, there are many car owners in Nigeria who pamper their cars than anything in their world...

9 Likes

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by replete(m): 8:42am On Jul 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Abeg na small pikin
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 8:44am On Jul 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

take am easy o grin But seriously, my younger brother came to join me where i am staying. He wanted to drive my car one day and i told him he wouldn't know what to do on the road and he said he had been driving in Nigeria for years. Well we weŕe going out one day and i told him to come and drive and guess what, he almost caused an accident within five minutes. He forgot about the roads signs along each and every road. He didn't know what the yield sign means, he forgot to indicate when turning left or right, speed limit seemed non existent to him. He didn't know how to properly go through stop signs. He made a lot of mistakes before i took over the driving

2 Likes

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:53am On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
take am easy o grin But seriously, my younger brother came to join me where i am staying. He wanted to drive my car one day and i told him he wouldn't know what to do on the road and he said he had been driving in Nigeria for years. Well we weŕe going out one day and i told him to come and drive and guess what, he almost caused an accident within five minutes. He forgot about the roads signs along each and every road. He didn't know what the yield sign means, he forgot to indicate when turning left or right, speed limit seemed non existent to him. He didn't know how to properly go through stop signs. He made a lot of mistakes before i took over the driving

Different countries have different driving standards. cheesy
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by rexlims(m): 8:58am On Jul 11, 2020
@op leave our Naija drivers and their cars alone.
We like am like that.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 9:08am On Jul 11, 2020
uchman:
I dont blame you @ No5
Yes we drive with our headlamps on and fully blaring on the high way because government did not install street lights along our highways unlike elsewhere.

Make I talk truth...

That No9 is so so true and e dey vex me well... Those commercial bus drivers are so guilty of that and I always feel like slapping them...

lipsrsealed
you are right about number 5 because i finally understood the reason for that. One might just drive into a pit if the road is not properly illuminated at night.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2020
SamuelLoch:

I'm not in anyway saying that, "you're wrong..." I can attest to some because I've once had encounter with probably one or two persons but OP, there are many car owners in Nigeria who pamper their cars than anything in their world...
That's why i used the word "most". I never said it's everybody. And I don't have to drive thousands of cars to verify somethings. Like the engine light Issue, just drive around at night and you'll see that the engine light is on in almost all the cars you look into. Same with tyres, you can easily check those.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 9:15am On Jul 11, 2020
rexlims:
@op leave our Naija drivers and their cars alone.
We like am like that.
i bet you are one of those that jump into the road anyhow.

1 Like

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by kingreign(m): 9:49am On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
passenger door and look.
5 . [s]Nigerians always drive at night with the full
them. [/s]
and balanced.
9 . [s]The issue of right of way is non existent in
Please add yours[/s].

You no well, mob action suppose get you for wetin you type there.

1 Like

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by 9icetoo(m): 10:05am On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
Your brother doesn't know how to drive, never went a driving school and if he did, went to a quack.
A few Nigerians know how to drive. A few.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by 9icetoo(m): 10:11am On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
That's why i used the word "most". I never said it's everybody. And I don't have to drive thousands of cars to verify somethings. Like the engine light Issue, just drive around at night and you'll see that the engine light is on in almost all the cars you look into. Same with tyres, you can easily check those.
The check engine light being on doesn't mean Nigerians think that's how it should be.
Some of us know it shouldn't be on.
Some cars have the emergency brake lights on too. Does that also mean we all think it's alright for it to be on?
Your sister stated her opinion and which is to the best of her knowledge.

A lot of cars on the roads today don't the engine warning lights on.
At least none of mine. Sometimes these lights are on for a flimsy reason eg cat code or egr or downstream 02 sensor and the owners knowingly ignore them.

We have people here who don't have a single warning light on their dash.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by eherbal(m): 11:41am On Jul 11, 2020
SamuelLoch:

what's the percentage of these owners if I may ask?
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by eherbal(m): 11:49am On Jul 11, 2020
9icetoo:

The check engine light being on doesn't mean Nigerians think that's how it should be.
Some cars have the emergency brake lights on too. Does that also mean we all think it's alright for it to be on?

At least none of mine. Sometimes these lights are on for a flimsy reason eg cat code or egr or downstream 02 sensor and the owners knowingly ignore them.

Nigerian rewire/electrician will tell ignorant drivers that the check engine light has to be on to show the car lis performing well. I've heard this from various owners

1 Like

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by eherbal(m): 11:59am On Jul 11, 2020
kingreign:

You no well, mob action suppose get you for wetin you type there.

the op is right to an extent.most Nigerian drivers are either ignorant or irresponsible with their vehicles.we can conduct a public survey and ask drivers what the check engine light means, you'll kill yourself with laughter and probably make a comedy skit out of it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by kingreign(m): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2020
eherbal:
the op is right to an extent.most Nigerian drivers are either ignorant or irresponsible with their vehicles.we can conduct a public survey and ask drivers what the check engine light means, you'll kill yourself with laughter and probably make a comedy skit out of it
I don't speak for folks, I speak for myself.

I am very experienced and very careful in my driving.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2020
9icetoo:

please I did not say everyone's cars have engine warning lights on. I said most. I said my sister "jokingly" gave me that answer because really she couldn't tell me the right answer.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2020
eherbal:
hahaha. There was a thread here about which vehicle/s have right of way at an intersection. A picture of the intersection with the vehicle/s from different direction all at the intersection with road markings. The answers people gave here on nailarand that day were so wrong.

1 Like

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 1:08pm On Jul 11, 2020
kingreign:

I don't speak for folks, I speak for myself.

I am very experienced and very careful in my driving.
just you in hundreds of drivers. In naija roads it seems like anything you drive is ok as long as you don't hit people or other vehicles. I don't even want to talk about how one-way rule is constantly flouted.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by rexlims(m): 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2020
junketer:
i bet you are one of those that jump into the road anyhow.
. Men it adrenaline pumping for me. In Nigeria nobody be gentle man for road. Even d road no gentle for u to pass.
So we take am and dey live am like that.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:57pm On Jul 11, 2020
rexlims:
. Men it adrenaline pumping for me. In Nigeria nobody be gentle man for road. Even d road no gentle for u to pass.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 7:19pm On Jul 11, 2020
rexlims:

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by rexlims(m): 7:19pm On Jul 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You should be ashamed of yourself.
y should I, if I may ask u? Na Ur car I dey drive or Na Ur money I take buy am or Na u get d road?
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:20pm On Jul 11, 2020
rexlims:
y should I, if I may ask u? Na Ur car I dey drive or Na Ur money I take buy am or Na u get d road?

You're putting other drivers at risk because of an adrenaline pump? Have you ever considered what would happen if you floor it, lose traction, and slam into traffic or a pedestrian?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by rexlims(m): 7:44pm On Jul 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You're putting other drivers at risk because of an adrenaline pump? Have you ever considered what would happen if you floor it, lose traction, and slam into traffic or a pedestrian?
if u no fit drive park for house. Na my life I dey live.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by dicksonadams(m): 8:02pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lolzzzzzx this guy no send... grin
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by promotervickky(m): 8:33pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lol, I literally laughed towards the end, nice one OP
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2020
promotervickky:
Lol, I literally laughed towards the end, nice one OP
i started driving like someone who was visiting nigeria but as time went on I joined the bandwagon.
Re: Things I Noticed About Nigerians And Their Cars And Driving In Nigeria.. by junketer(m): 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
rexlims:
if u no fit drive park for house. Na my life I dey live.
make you no end another person's or turn the person to disable because na your life you dey live shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Worn-out Or Bad Car Tyres Increase Fuel Consumption? / I Need A Competent Ford Mechanic For My Ford Focus 2000 Model / Heating Issue Wit My Nissan Primera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.