Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,902 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian (66184 Views)

Bbnaija S6 Update: Angel Is My Favourite, Smarter Than Most Housemates Says Cros / Cross: Angel Is My Favourite Girl, Smarter Than Most Housemates / BBNaija: Nina "My Greatest Fear Is Losing Collins, My Boyfriend" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Dpsychologist: 11:24am On Jul 11, 2020
Nigerians Are Unaware That Africa's Greatest Youtuber Is A Nigerian

Alot of Nigerians do not know that Africa's biggest YouTuber is a Nigerian. Interestingly, that title belongs to one 29-year-old Nigerian comedian, scriptwriter, and video producer who oddly doesn’t have as much clout back home as he has loyal fans abroad.

With over 6.39 million subscribers and more than 1 billion views on his 300+ videos, Mark Angel is technically the biggest YouTuber in Africa.(Social blade, 2020)
The Nigerian is best known for the Mark Angel Comedy series of shorts on YouTube, often featuring child comedians such as his 9-year-old niece, Emmanuella Samuel, and her sister, “Aunty” Success Madubuike (age 5 as of 2019).
Mark Angel’s YouTube channel was the first African comedy channel to reach one million subscribers.
Mark Angel was born in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria. He had a stint at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Osun State, Nigeria, where he had been accepted to study medicine, but he eventually abandoned his studies due to family reasons.

After he left college, he spent time in Nigeria gaining experience in cinematography and theater. In 2013, he began independent filmmaking under the name, Mechanic Pictures, having been unable to find stable work in Nigeria’s film industry, Nollywood.
His skits became an instant hit. In 2017, Mark Angel Comedy received a plaque from YouTube for having reached one million subscriptions. It was the first Nigerian-based YouTube channel to reach that threshold.
Mark Angel’s niece, Emmanuella, has won comedy awards in Nigeria and Australia for her work with Mark Angel and is Africa’s youngest YouTube award winner.
In 2018, she even bagged a nomination in Nickelodeon’s famous Kids’ Choice Awards. Mark Angel Comedy videos can reach up to a million views during the first week after posting.
Few people know it but Mark Angel is, by some distance, Africa’s most successful YouTuber.

So, How Come Most Nigerians Don’t Know This?
Short Answer: It’s probably because Nigerians don’t care about YouTube and YouTubers that much, at least, not as much as they care about other social platforms.
As a matter of fact, compared to other social media platforms that are popular in Nigeria like WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram, YouTube has only a tiny fraction of active users of which only an even smaller fraction can be termed “consistent users.”
Maybe it’s not even Mark Angel, perhaps the fact of the matter is that most Nigerians don’t even know any of the biggest YouTubers in Nigeria.

And Why’s This?
Hootsuite’s State of Digital report placed the number of internet users in Nigeria at 98.39 million as of 2019.
Of the 98.39 million Nigerian internet users, it was found that 54 percent access the internet on a daily basis while only 12 percent (24 million) have active social media accounts.

Additionally, WhatsApp was found to be the most active social media platform in the country with 85 percent of internet users. Facebook placed second with 78 percent,
Instagram came third at 57 percent, followed by FB Messenger at 54 percent.
YouTube is only fifth on the rankings with 53 percent. And that says a lot about the popularity of the platform in Nigeria, and by extension, the popularity of the rockstars on the video-sharing platform in these parts.

Here’s Why YouTube Is Slacking In These Parts

Despite the increase in the number of internet users in Nigeria, overall internet penetration remains quite low, with only about 50 percent of the population connected to the internet, compared to the global average of 57 percent.
Besides that, many Nigerians who have access to the internet cannot afford to stream videos online, plus there’s the issue of spotty internet connections.

All these hamper YouTube usage in Nigeria, making the platform less popular and less frequently-used than other social platforms. It’s for this reason that the likes of Mark Angel get the bulk of their viewership from abroad.
“It is very discouraging for me as a video content creator,” lamented Tobi Ayeni, a YouTube creator popularly known as MissTechy, who spoke to TechPoint
last year.

“Imagine going through a lot of stress to shoot and upload a great video, only for people to watch just the first one minute or skim through because they are trying to manage the data they have,” she complained.

It’s a feeling shared by Dimma Umeh , a fast-rising Nigerian vlogger who runs a fast-growing YouTube channel where she bosses all things, fashion, makeup, and lifestyle, though, according to her, things are beginning to improve.
“I would say that adoption [of YouTube] has been gradual, especially when compared to other platforms where we often create short-form content,” she tells
WeeTracker .

“In the past two years, however, creators like me have seen a sharp increase in the number of viewers viewing from Nigeria and that gives us hope.”

Source
https://weetracker.com/2020/03/05/biggest-youtubers-in-africa/

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by GodPunishBiafra: 11:34am On Jul 11, 2020
Dem try grin
I'm not a fan though.
I don't really like to their stuff...

307 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Bigflamie(m): 11:37am On Jul 11, 2020
Love this dude a lot. He's real as fvck.

Kudos to him for making his fans smile in this ugly country.

Lalasticlala

197 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Tolzy11(m): 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nice write-up.. Am also a YouTuber just started though , I hope to get there one day.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Dpsychologist: 12:15pm On Jul 11, 2020
Tolzy11:

Nice write-up.. Am also a YouTuber just started though , I hope to get there one day.
Wow thats good of you.
Saw your channel, you have nice videos there.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Dpsychologist: 12:18pm On Jul 11, 2020
Bigflamie:
Love this dude a lot. He's real as fvck.

Kudos to him for making his fans smile in this ugly country.

Lalasticlala

He is awesome.
BTW the bolded got me laughing

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Johnnyessence(m): 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2020
wow Nigerians flourished all over the tech places. we are the best.

8 Likes

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Dpsychologist: 1:58pm On Jul 11, 2020
Johnnyessence:
wow Nigerians flourished all over the tech places. we are the best.
Yes bro

7 Likes

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Dpsychologist: 2:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
Cc Lalasticlala
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Kalatium(m): 5:36pm On Jul 11, 2020
Wow. I always knew that Mark Angel is the best

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Johnnyessence(m): 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2020
Dpsychologist:
Yes bro
yes soo
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2020
Which useless mark angel undecided

Mark angel that ran out of jokes and now recycles jokes to get viewers. Their skits are no longer interesting anymore. embarassed

That's part of why Denison igwe left them after all.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by SweetCunt97(f): 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Thanks to Emmanuella.

But d guy comedy can be dry sha

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Righteousness89(m): 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Wow!

That's Great bro..

How I wish you would use this Platform of Highest or Greatest youtuber to Win souls for JESUS.

Your Crown in Heaven will be Specially Special

That will be a Bomb bro!

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by tot(f): 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nigerians would rather emphasize all the negatives about their country.

Nice post OP.

3 Likes

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Same way many took to blogging cause of linda ikeji. Many are taking to youtube. It will end in tears

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by ForgingLife: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Lol! Tells you a whole lot about the continent.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by milaso: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
we do all in this country, e sure me say na Igbo cheesy wink wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by lekki1444: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
grin so its not wode maya ayaaa mayaaaa ?
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Originality007: 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
grin
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Queenserah26(f): 2:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Kudos to Mark Angel

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Ayoswit(f): 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Great People, Great Nation cool

2 Likes

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by money121(m): 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Tflex01: 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Wow
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Olominira(m): 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nigeria, a country that would eventually find her way and become top 5 biggest economies and superpowers. Some of those that left to western world, their generations would struggle to get visas just for a visit.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Realtalk20: 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Cheap advert
Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Brightgem(f): 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Still not his fan though. That doesn't make him a bad content creator at all, everyone just has their audience. Same way some don't find Tao funny.

Help Nigeria win a spot internationally by voting the documentary film using link below. Withhold your vote only if you don't like the video. Thainz. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by Clicked: 2:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Abeg who Nigerian viewers epp. If you know how YouTube works, you'd know that your niche and your viewers countries matters a lot.

You'd see two people with 1 million views, one earning up to $10,000 while the other one just $800.

YouTube doesn't pay much if you have mainly African viewers.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mark Angel Is Africa's Greatest Youtuber, A Nigerian by mosho2good: 2:23pm On Jul 16, 2020
Amaka Mark Angel Amaka Emmanuella
it pains me when denilson igwe left the comedy show and started his own show

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kiddwaya's Twitter Handlers "Sister zone" And "Friend Zone" Erica / Bassey Sucks Coco Ice' Boobs Live On TV On Big Brother Naija / Bisola Gives Tin Tall Tony A Mouth Action On Big Brother Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.