Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,334 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman (8926 Views)

Soku And Kula Oil: Wike And Dickson In Cold War / Seriake Dickson In His Farm With Faze, MC Okpeke, Ekwe / Topless Women Protest Against Governor Dickson In Bayelsa. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by AnonPoet: 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2020
In Defense of The Nigerian Woman by Chief Henry Seriake Dickson

I wish to commend President Buhari for the appointment of Mrs Nimi Akinkugbe as the Ambassadorial Nominee representing Ondo State, the state she is married to, the state of her husband and her children and the state she will spend the rest of her life in hopefully.

I condemn the voices that have risen in opposition to her nomination not on account of her competence, experience, capacity or character but only on the basis that she is parentally from Rivers State.

These are the sort of sentiments that have held our country and continent from achieving its true potentials in sourcing for leadership which is critical for national development. Except during football matches, Nigerians are hardly United about the need for quality representation in National leadership. In business, politics and even professions, primordial and ethnic sentiments override rational thinking depriving the country of its best leadership resource in critical areas at critical times.

In the case of women, our mothers, our wives, our sisters our daughters and our friends, this irrational, divisive and discriminatory syndrome takes a more ridiculous dimension. In the 21st century Nigeria, some Nigerians still hold the view that our daughters who get married to persons from states other than the states of their fathers should be penalized and should suffer discrimination even when they are qualified for positions from that state. To begin with, they have no control over the states they marry into. As women, they marry for love. They follow their hearts and that is how nature has made it and we are all products of that.

Those who constantly oppose our daughters believe that whereas their children, grandchildren and descendants can be anything in those states, the women have to go “back to sender” and cannot derive any benefit from the states of their husbands.

We must all unite against this mindset and I am glad that the President nominated Mrs Akinkugbe and has ignored all opposition to her nomination so far. I hope it remains so.

Nigerian women leaders should organize themselves for positive change and these are the sort of issues in addition to several others they should tackle with our support. The underlying mindset behind this sentiment is the idea that women are properties, ordinary chattel, things that are owned with no rights, feelings or dignity of their own as opposed to being persons with equal rights and ambition. To them, our women could have children, grandchildren, may even be breadwinners, supporting, feeding and educating families of their husbands and be sisters and mothers to them as most do yet they remain properties and chattels, after all, they are women.

This is the primitive mindset that encourages rape as well as other acts of violence against women which have become endemic. I strongly condemn this notion and this is what we must collectively challenge.

Even when our daughters are nominated from the states of their fathers, there are still voices of opposition who say “why are they taking the slots of their father’s states instead of their husband’s states?”, this is not peculiar to Ondo State. I witnessed this as Governor of Bayelsa State in the case of Diezani Allison Madueke, a Bayelsan married to a husband from Enugu. Nigerians also remember the controversy surrounding the appointment of Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, from Delta State married to a husband from Abia.

There are several other instances at the national level and more at state level appointments that we may not know of.

If highly educated, enlightened women known locally and around the world can suffer this discrimination in Nigeria, then one can imagine the daily discrimination, indignity and oppression that our women who are not privileged are subjected to in their rural communities across Nigeria and in the developing world. This is the reason why people in Leadership must do more for girl child

https://leaders.ng/in-defense-of-the-nigerian-woman-by-chief-henry-seriake-dickson/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by KossyKiss97(f): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2020
FTC..... First time ever!!!!

I dedicate this to myself and every other hardworking and dedicated woman like myself, hard work pays,and one day, it will take you to the peak and place of your dreams.

Nimi is a indeed a force to reckon with in the area of personal finance. Met her for the first time in 2010.

No doubt, she'll do us proud..

Want a flawless skin without pimples, dark spots, blemishes, dark knuckles, stretch marks? Call/Watsapp me ASAP to order for your Topcio soap 08060291729. Serious BUYERS only. No Wholesale!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by ForeThinker: 3:22pm On Jul 11, 2020
Issorite
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by iamyemiakins(m): 3:22pm On Jul 11, 2020
Some Nigerians with misplaced priorities, we're canvassing for more active participation of women in politics and democratic process while some people are still busy fighting nepotistically, and displaying their level of tribalism.

Which way Nigeria?!

2 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Flexherbal(m): 3:22pm On Jul 11, 2020
These are the sort of sentiments that have held our country and continent from achieving its true potentials in sourcing for leadership which is critical for national development. Except during football matches, Nigerians are hardly United about the need for quality representation in National leadership.

I always believe that the best man for the job, should always get it.

She is qualified by marriage.

I wish to commend President Buhari for the appointment of Mrs Nimi Akinkugbe as the Ambassadorial Nominee representing Ondo State, the state she is married to, the state of her husband and her children and the state she will spend the rest of her life in hopefully.

Goat Farming:
https://www.nairaland.com/4588896/practical-goat-sheep-farming-nigeria
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Samtobh(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
Apt and sound article!

Tribalism tendencies are deeply rooted in the veins of an average Nigerian.

It is high time we purge ourselves of this endangering trait so we can build and contribute to the development of Nigeria.

By the way, I am certain a Yoruba/Igbo man who gets a highly-exalted position today be it in politics or in the corporate (public or private sector) world would push for his own people to get employed or get slots like they call it. Same from every tribe out there. It's happening everywhere.

Sometimes when we curse and abuse folks in the corridors of power, I am tempted to say He who hath no sin, let him cast the first stone. From age 5 and above, typical Nigerians know how to bypass protocols, jump in front of the queue , forge receipts, use double meal tickets, go in to see someone in the banking hall so they can be attended to even though 50 people are yet to be attended to, the list is endless.

I am not from any tribe but the Nigerian tribe!

I believe in a better country where rights of the girl child will be protected.

I am an ardent preacher and advocate of taking good care of females!

God bless us all.

8 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Johnandv: 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
The looting and highhandedness in this administration is mind boggling. Imagine EFCC selling recovered assets on their own and sharing the money. If you tell Buhari he will say I'm shocked and that ends it, look at how our soldiers are resigning from military in their hundreds because of Buhari and his service chiefs incompetence. I knew immediately Jonathan called Buhari to congratulate him on his 2015 election victory that it was over for Nigeria, I just knew that the country would sooner or later look at Chad and Niger as Canada.

Yoruba are the most daft and self-centered set of people in Nigeria. I just pity Edo people who would likely follow Yoruba in oduduwa Republic once Nigeria splits, they would never allow Edo people to have a say in their country, due to their envy and tribalistic intoxication. Yorubas brought evil to the South, now Fulanis from other countries can stroll into our farms and cut our mothers and fathers with their cutlass and walk like nothing happened, all because of Yoruba greed for power and envy for Igbos, they thought Jonathan was making Igbos prominent in power and it spelt doom for them since politics is the only thing that keeps them relevant in this Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Balenciagaokey: 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
cool
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by JosephXavier: 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2020
Wow congrats to her

Women have this advantage of getting appointments both from their states of origin and their states of marriage but they still come out posing as feminists telling us that men are dominating everything

In as much as I love women being active in politics, I still commend the ones who have the integrity and are driven with the passion of making a difference rather than slaying on instagram

I'll love to see more Dora Akunyiri, Ngozi Ekwuniife and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala

3 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by CasNova: 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2020
This is to express my support for the statement that Nigerians must live above ethic and primordial sentiments.

It is also to congratulate Mrs. Nimi Akinkugbe on her accomplishment.

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Badaaddyyuu(m): 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2020
He's doing well
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2020
Wrong introduction to the write up.Buhari deserves no congratulations for anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by directonpc(m): 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2020
Win
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Sammy07: 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
Johnandv:

Yoruba are the most daft and self-centered set of people in Nigeria. I just pity Edo people who would likely follow Yoruba in oduduwa Republic once Nigeria splits, they would never allow Edo people to have a say in their country, due to their envy and tribalistic intoxication. Yorubas brought evil to the South, now Fulanis from other countries can stroll into our farms and cut our mothers and fathers with their cutlass and walk like nothing happened, all because of Yoruba greed for power and envy for Igbos, they thought Jonathan was making Igbos prominent in power and it spelt doom for them since politics is the only thing that keeps them relevant in this Nigeria.

Are you Okay?
Don't we have freedom to vote and be voted for in Nigeria again?

You keep defending theives, yet you couldn't name the projects of Jonathan

6 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by tillaman(m): 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
Good!!
Very sharp
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by solmus: 3:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
grin

Wetin this one dey yarn?

Bayelsa won't vote for an Urhobo deputy, Akwa Ibom won't confirm a cross Rivers State chief judge

But Ondo people must not talk if it's indegene get shortchanged, when it's Yoruba land they use big big grammar

3 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Focusmind: 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2020
Good one. Nice article. We should do away with primordial sentiments and focus on capacity to deliver.

This country have been held down for so long because of fault lines and, it is becoming even worse, no thanks to the current regime.

Government should be seen as encompassing and father-like figure and not the kind of division we currently have in this country.

Agree that all sections should be carried along, but competence should remain the key.
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by FlordFlorez(m): 3:27pm On Jul 11, 2020
Since she's married here, she's already an indigene. Why some people so bitter sef?
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2020
KossyKiss97:
FTC..... First time ever!!!!

I dedicate this to myself and every other hardworking and dedicated woman like myself, hard work pays,and one day, it will take you to the peak and place of your dreams.

Nimi is a indeed a force to reckon with in the area of personal finance. Met her for the first time in 2010.

No doubt, she'll do us proud..

See signature..
One Day Could Be 100 Years Time undecided
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Joshmodest(m): 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2020
It irritates me when feminists come out to advocate for women to be put in positions of authority in government .. which shares similarities with the Black lives matter , when we advocate for black people to be given power , irrespective of their capabilities..
I honestly don't believe in gender or race nonsense in this very context ...whoever is fit for the job should take it , Man or woman - Black or white ...

3 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2020
This man clearly wasted all he put into this article. According to his article, they only complained she's from another state, not about her gender. So why the woman, woman, woman, gender, blah blah stuff?
Both him, and his writer are confused lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by KossyKiss97(f): 3:30pm On Jul 11, 2020
NNU0000:
[color=#000099] One Day Could Be 100 Years Time undecided[color/]

Just keep doing what you do and be consistent
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by hucienda: 3:31pm On Jul 11, 2020
Nice write up by Governor Dickson.
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by livinbygrace: 3:31pm On Jul 11, 2020
Story!!But it’s right for Cross River Asdembly to stops the apppintment of that woman as the Chief Judge of Cross River state all because she is from Akwa Ibom

2 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by mexbee1(m): 3:33pm On Jul 11, 2020

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Blaze232(m): 3:34pm On Jul 11, 2020
Abi oo obaseki how market
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Farki: 3:35pm On Jul 11, 2020
Johnandv:
The looting and highhandedness in this administration is mind boggling. Imagine EFCC selling recovered assets on their own and sharing the money. If you tell Buhari he will say I'm shocked and that ends it, look at how our soldiers are resigning from military in their hundreds because of Buhari and his service chiefs incompetence. I knew immediately Jonathan called Buhari to congratulate him on his 2015 election victory that it was over for Nigeria, I just knew that the country would sooner or later look at Chad and Niger as Canada.

Abeg shut up already, posting the same nonsense on multiple threads.

3 Likes

Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Mineisgrace(f): 3:35pm On Jul 11, 2020
Thank you sir
Re: Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman by Emilokoiyawon: 3:39pm On Jul 11, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikpeazu: I'm Happy For Legacy We Have Entrenched In Abia / Imo State And The Hand Of Midas / El-rufai Not Involved In Accident, Aide Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.