Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,990 members, 7,799,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa (10836 Views)

Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. / Who Has The Largest Population Between Yoruba And Igbo / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by letu(m): 4:35am On May 01, 2021
leksite120:
There must be an evidence that backs it. it won't be educative without the evidence to the claim.. I can also decide to claim anything
Please even all Yoruba Orisha's/Irunmole's knows the truth Here is evidence by Ooni of Ife himself.

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by letu(m): 4:44am On May 01, 2021
michlins:
I think it's Yoruba people. The hausas are basically migrants into the present day Nigeria and some part of Igbo like Onitsha and Nnewi are extension of Benin kingdom who are to be considered Yoruba too. Nsukka people are from Igala
Even the Yoruba and Edo's knows including the Yoruba's Orisha's/ Irunmole's also knows the truth.

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by letu(m): 4:50am On May 01, 2021
leksite120:
There must be an evidence that backs it. it won't be educative without the evidence to the claim.. I can also decide to claim anything
Even the Yoruba's and their Orisha's/ Irunmole's knows the truth.

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by letu(m): 5:21am On May 01, 2021
bigfrancis21:

That’s wrong. Nsukka people are from Nri (Nshi). Ask your grandfather what onye ishi means. Some Igalas did migrate and settle in Nsukka land but this was as recently as the 1800s and they form about 2% of the population. I spent 6 years I Nsukka land.
Ishi Is related to Nshi/Eshi/Ehi or Eri in Igbo cosmology, so the Ishi being referred to by Nsukka People is not about the Eri/Nri that migrated from Palestine rather it's all about the same Nshi/Eshi/Ehi or Eri of Igbo cosmology who is an alter ego of Ele the sky God inwhich Ele is the alter ego of Chinekeukwu or Chiukwu.
And also in the title/name know as Ishi/Nshi/Eshi/Ehi or Eri can be used in Igbo tradition to make reference to all Igbo people that were around during the time of Ishi/Nshi/Eshi/ Ehi or Eri. This was when Chinekeukwu manifest Ele the sky god and Ele manifested on earth as an earth god or as a representative of Chinekeukwu on earth and also the manifest Ele on earth Is know as Ishi/ Nshi/ Eshi/ Ehi or Eri.
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by kayfra: 10:09am On May 01, 2021
letu:
yes we know, even the Ooni of Ife knows the oldest which is the Igbos and they all are one and the same both the traditional Yoruba Igbos , Igbos of South East, Igbos of South South and Igbos of middle Belt. They are one and the same, inwhich they are ancient as old as time even the Ooni of Ife knows this.
I have repented from my fake online tribalism

The Akwa Ibom area people have been in Nigeria the longest though
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by gregyboy(m): 12:50pm On May 01, 2021
The edo people have been in Nigeria the longest
All tribes in Southern Nigeria migrated from the great bini kingdom
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Adeba01(m): 3:09pm On May 01, 2021
I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity and lack of common sense / logical thinking on this post.

Think about it logically for any of these aforementioned tribes to have been the three allegedly largest tribal groups it would have entailed them assimilating different smaller tribes, so technically none are the oldest.

Intriguingly, there are more primitive tribes in northern Nigeria, that did not have a tradition of clothes wearing, I would wager that these tribes are the oldest in nigeria being the most primitive. If anyone is aware of any other primitive tribe in Nigeria kindly let me know.

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/meet-the-naked-tribes-of-nigeria-where-people-wear-leaves-and-little-to-nothing/w3ttqxv

In other words, whichever is the most primitive tribe in Nigeria will be the oldest, this definitely rules out the Yorubas, Igbos and Hausas.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by gregyboy(m): 9:43am On May 02, 2021
Adeba01:
I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity and lack of common sense / logical thinking on this post.

Think about it logically for any of these aforementioned tribes to have been the three allegedly largest tribal groups it would have entailed them assimilating different smaller tribes, so technically none are the oldest.

Intriguingly, there are more primitive tribes in northern Nigeria, that did not have a tradition of clothes wearing, I would wager that these tribes are the oldest in nigeria being the most primitive. If anyone is aware of any other primitive tribe in Nigeria kindly let me know.

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/meet-the-naked-tribes-of-nigeria-where-people-wear-leaves-and-little-to-nothing/w3ttqxv

In other words, whichever is the most primitive tribe in Nigeria will be the oldest, this definitely rules out the Yorubas, Igbos and Hausas.

Some tribe in Nigeria didn't wear clothes before the arrival of the British, the oldest does not necessarily mean or equate to the most savage because most tribes in Nigeria were savage before the whiteman arrival

The ijaws were known not to wear clothes and were also knows as human eaters by the white men

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Adeba01(m): 5:46pm On May 02, 2021
gregyboy:

Some tribe in Nigeria didn't wear clothes before the arrival of the British, the oldest does not necessarily mean or equate to the most savage because most tribes in Nigeria were savage before the whiteman arrival

The ijaws were known not to wear clothes and were also knows as human eaters by the white men

Okay, I agree with your way of thinking, but the Yorubas, Igbos and Hausas are definitely ruled out as they're the least primitive.
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by UGBE634: 5:20pm On Jul 25, 2021
baby124:
It’s Yoruba. You can tell that the language transcends. Yoruba, then Esan... Bini is a mixture of Yoruba royalty and Esan aborigines. This Benin and some Yoruba groups spread into the south. Especially Eastern Yoruba groups whose accents are similar to what has come out of Niger-Delta.

Igala is a long separated Yoruba group. They mixed with Benin a lot to form some groups in the Niger Delta and East. Igala spread from Edo, to the East and into the middle belt. Also, some groups from Cameroon also mixed with these groups to form most of the East. With pockets of pure Yoruba groups scattered and mixed too. Yoruba though is the most homogenous of Southern and middlebelt Groups.

The Yoruba sounding words in Igbo language definitely came from Igala and Ancient Bini.
Rather they were submerged in the Far larger sea, there is nothing "mixed" about Benin. Anyone who is familiar with Edo culture, language and tradition will know this. Benin is as Edo or even more with Esan and other Edo group. When you look beyond the name Bini which seems to be deceiving a lot of you, you will know that there is no difference between Bini (Edo) and Esan.
Bini (Edo) gave out just the same way she received or even in more measure, we received from anioma, we received from Yoruba, we gave even in more measure, there are many Edos living life as yorubas today in Owo, Akoko,Akure, Ekiti,Lagos and Itsekiri, and as Igbos today in Ika, Ukwuani, Igbankes and other areas. So migration was nothing precolonially, Bini did not even receive up to semi quarter of what would distort her original nature. The only thing Yoruba about Bini is just the name Ibinu or Ubini which the tribe became popular with. this many of You soon realize immediately you step Your foot into Benin. The word "mix with Yoruba" won't suffix as we got in equal number from the Igboid areas or even more the number we got from yoruboid areas, and they were all submerged into the larger Edo sea as her nature is still very pristine and distinct from these two tribes. ( Obaseki family is from anioma area numbering over a hundred thousand today) but you won't hear Ndigbos say it. On the contrary, the mass of Esans migrated from Benin, that is how they got their names "Esanfia". We are just the same in culture, language, Outlook on life with the Other Edo tribes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by hitmanogo: 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2021
Have you guys not heard of the archaeluean culture at ugwuele uturu? It is a stone age relic and the oldest in Nigeria. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugwuele%23:~:text%3DUgwuele%2520is%2520an%2520Igbo%2520community,and%2520possibly%2520in%2520the%2520world.&ved=2ahUKEwjd_Ifg_5rzAhWNw4sBHf65D1UQFnoECAQQBQ&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0SxkHoCAALP2zsNROQSUcz
UGBE634:
Rather they were submerged in the Far larger sea, there is nothing "mixed" about Benin. Anyone who is familiar with Edo culture, language and tradition will know this. Benin is as Edo or even more with Esan and other Edo group. When you look beyond the name Bini which seems to be deceiving a lot of you, you will know that there is no difference between Bini (Edo) and Esan.
Bini (Edo) gave out just the same way she received or even in more measure, we received from anioma, we received from Yoruba, we gave even in more measure, there are many Edos living life as yorubas today in Owo, Akoko,Akure, Ekiti,Lagos and Itsekiri, and as Igbos today in Ika, Ukwuani, Igbankes and other areas. So migration was nothing precolonially, Bini did not even receive up to semi quarter of what would distort her original nature. The only thing Yoruba about Bini is just the name Ibinu or Ubini which the tribe became popular with. this many of You soon realize immediately you step Your foot into Benin. The word "mix with Yoruba" won't suffix as we got in equal number from the Igboid areas or even more the number we got from yoruboid areas, and they were all submerged into the larger Edo sea as her nature is still very pristine and distinct from these two tribes. ( Obaseki family is from anioma area numbering over a hundred thousand today) but you won't hear Ndigbos say it. On the contrary, the mass of Esans migrated from Benin, that is how they got their names "Esanfia". We are just the same in culture, language, Outlook on life with the Other Edo tribes.
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by jneutron4000: 7:43am On Sep 28, 2021
Get a book by Herotodus, he wrote about ILE IFE( note no word like Yoruba then). Yoruba is the oldest through Ile Ife.

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by sherlock229(m): 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
Yoruba are the oldest, the oldest skeleton ever found in West Africa was found in Iwo ẹlẹru meaning Yoruba land is the most ancient according to facts...not fictions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by RedboneSmith(m): 6:22am On Oct 04, 2021
jneutron4000:
Get a book by Herotodus, he wrote about ILE IFE( note no word like Yoruba then). Yoruba is the oldest through Ile Ife.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

There is nothing I will not hear on this forum.

Herodotus wrote about Ile-Ife? grin Please, tell us the chapter and page, let us go and look for it. The book is in my house right now.

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Abohboy: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
Adeba01:

Being primitive isn't a measure of the duration in which one has been in said area based off of archaelogy we can say that the oldest group will be the Igbo due to the Ugwuele Uturu stone axe area which dates back to 250 000 years old then the Yoruba with the cave of ashes which has bones dating back over 12 000 years then comes the Edo and the delta groups and for the northern and middle belt groups there are rock paintings but for whatever reason not a lot is known about the age of them but for now the order is Igbo, Yoruba, Middle belt and North, Edo and delta groups then Bantu groups of the Plateau region
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Abohboy: 4:11pm On Oct 06, 2021
sherlock229:
Yoruba are the oldest, the oldest skeleton ever found in West Africa was found in Iwo ẹlẹru meaning Yoruba land is the most ancient according to facts...not fictions

The skeleton wasn't more then 10-100 000 years old but a rock shelter and stone axe factory of over 250 000 years old shows that the Igbo had older inhabitance but the thing is for all we know they aren't the actual ancestors of modern day people groups inhabiting those regions they could have easily migrated elsewhere and we wouldn't know

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Abohboy: 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
jneutron4000:

Herodotus only wrote of Egypt and Aethiopia anything about Africa in the interior was unknown by the Greeks for the most part

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Olu317(m): 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2021
Abohboy:

The skeleton wasn't more then 10-100 000 years old but a rock shelter and stone axe factory of over 250 000 years old shows that the Igbo had older inhabitance but the thing is for all we know they aren't the actual ancestors of modern day people groups inhabiting those regions they could have easily migrated elsewhere and we wouldn't know
Are you sure about this radiocarbondating of 250, 000 years ago?

If yes, then any reference from a reliable book that pegged the dating of metallurgical evidence at the site you are pointing at ?

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Abohboy: 11:36pm On Oct 06, 2021
Olu317:
Are you sure about this radiocarbondating of 250, 000 years ago?

If yes, then any reference from a reliable book that pegged the dating of metallurgical evidence at the site you are pointing at ?

I didn't read it I simply searched How old is Ugwuelle Uturu for all we know it could have been a different hominid group that inhabited that area in the past same like Iwo eleru but currently it is one of the oldest if not the oldest evidence of habitation of an area in Nigeria
Re: What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa by Olu317(m): 11:57pm On Oct 06, 2021
Abohboy:

I didn't read it I simply searched How old is Ugwuelle Uturu for all we know it could have been a different hominid group that inhabited that area in the past same like Iwo eleru but currently it is one of the oldest if not the oldest evidence of habitation of an area in Nigeria
Oh I see. Anyway, if such is not documented, then I suspect there is more to it.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Idoma Traditional Attires. / Ooni Of Ife Warns Against Distortion Of Yoruba History / Beautiful Northern Sudanese.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.