Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing (2547 Views)

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? / We Are Not Under The Laws But Are Expected To Obey The Law / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Anigreat: 7:15am On Jul 12, 2020
It's only in old testament that i have seen the word "tithe" been mentioned.

There's no place in the new testament that directly speak on tithing except in the old testament.

Most christians, preachers of the gospel, pastors etc. Do not subscribe to the laws of the old testament, as they feel , the laws was given to the Jews back then, and the laws are no longer effective since Jesus Christ came to die on earth.

If we're not under laws but grace as most preachers would make us to hear; that Jesus christ rendered the laws useless since from the day he died on the cross. Why then can we for go all the commandments of the old testament, why do we stick to tithing.

I'm just a curious christian, i need an answer to my question. Thanks!

Lasticlala
Mynd44

happy Sunday guys!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by PussyOdour(m): 7:26am On Jul 12, 2020
shocked

No christian can answer this question, as most of them are too gullible

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by gasparpisciotta: 7:35am On Jul 12, 2020
Tithing was God’s instruction for the Jews to save for the droughts.

That was why He specifically instructed them to build a store house in which the one-tenth of their harvest will be kept.

Priests were asked to be in charge simply because their work was to cater for the tabernacles of God and they were expected to be impartial.

The idea was to ensure that everybody will have something to fall back on in times of famine/drought.

Remember the story of Moses and the store house of Pharaoh?

Imagine saving a tenth of your income every month for 20years....

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by donnie(m): 7:39am On Jul 12, 2020
All na SCAM.
MESSIAH did not establish Christianity. Rome did, so they follow Rome in their disregard for the laws, statutes and commandments of YAH.

All The prophets, apostles even disciples of the MESSIAH kept the Commandments.

It's all a ploy to keep us (the people of the book) in the dark and under the curses of YAH, so they can continue to rule over us.

NAIRALAND: TITHES & FIRSTFRUITS… The Christian SCAM (WARNING To Perpetrators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVX90LJe_7k

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by waterfas: 7:39am On Jul 12, 2020
In the New Testament, you give to God as you proposed, no fixed percentage. The tithe is our religion tax but not compulsory, since Jesus didn't condemn it preachers stick to it for their support. We are not under any obligation to pay tithe as Christians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by JourneytoEL(f): 8:16am On Jul 12, 2020
I used to ask the same question, till I saw, Mal 3:6 I am the Lord, and I do not change. Yes, the law, has been done away, but those laws with a blessing like the law of tithe will forever bless those who practice them. Tithing was first done by Abraham before the law, the law only gave ordinances and directions. The early Christians actually gave their all not even 10% to the church for equal distribution. It is also paramount to note that a good number of the earliest Christians were going to the temples on sabbath (saturday) and church on Sunday before the separation. So, they must likely paid their tithes. Under Grace, we are not obligated to pay tithes, but if you wish to have God's hands in your finances or you want to advance his gospel, it is highly advisable to tithe. If you don't tithe you have no right to blame God if your business fails according to the Whatsoever you sow, that you shall reap principle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by CAPSLOCKED: 9:27am On Jul 12, 2020
SAME THING HAPPENS WITH THE NEW TESTAMENT. YOU TAKE WHAT YOU LIKE, AND DISCARD WHAT DOESN'T SOUND TOO GOOD TO YOU. IT'S CALLED CHERRY-PICKING.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by waterfas: 10:12am On Jul 12, 2020
JourneytoEL:
I used to ask the same question, till I saw, Mal 3:6 I am the Lord, and I do not change. Yes, the law, has been done away, but those laws with a blessing like the law of tithe will forever bless those who practice them. Tithing was first done by Abraham before the law, the law only gave ordinances and directions. The early Christians actually gave their all not even 10% to the church for equal distribution. It is also paramount to note that a good number of the earliest Christians were going to the temples on sabbath (saturday) and church on Sunday before the separation. So, they must likely paid their tithes. Unde.

Please, point of correction, you can't blame God for anything even if you pay your tithe. Paying tithe does not guarantee business success. I believe we should have learnt some vital biblical truth in this (covid 19) period. Please let prayerfully dig deep into the Bible by ourselves, change the version if it ll enable you to understand it better. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by chariisGRACE(m): 10:20am On Jul 12, 2020
I'm a Christian, and I can say that Christians are not suppose to be tithing.

Tithing was for the Jews because the priests then (House of Levi) had no inheritance in Israel as they lived all their life in the temple as priests.

As Christians, our High Priest is no longer the Levites but Christ. And since tithing was giving to the priests in the Old Testament, we don't have to tithe again because Jesus is not with us here on earth. (He paid the last and final sacrifice on the cross).

Hebrews 7:11-12 made it very clear:

11 - "If therefore perfection were by the levitical priesthood. (For under it the people received the law). What further need was they that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek and not be called after the order of Aaron.

12 - " For the priesthood being changed, there is need also a necessity for the change of the law".

One verse pastors have refused to preach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 10:21am On Jul 12, 2020
Because they are foolish, ignorant and fake christians

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 10:23am On Jul 12, 2020
chariisGRACE:
I'm a Christian, and I can say that Christians are not suppose to be tithing.

Tithing was for the Jews because the priests then (House of Levi) had no inheritance in Israel as they lived all their life in the temple as priests.

As Christians, our High Priest is no longer the Levites but Christ. And since tithing was giving to the priests in the Old Testament, we don't have to tithe again because Jesus is not with us here on earth. (He paid the last and final sacrifice on the cross).

Hebrews 7:11-12 made it very clear:

11 - "If therefore perfection were by the levitical priesthood. (For under it the people received the law). What further need was they that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek and not be called after the order of Aaron.

12 - " For the priesthood being changed, there is need also a necessity for the change of the law".

One verse pastors have refused to preach.

I understand your reasonable error, what do you think tithing is Truly about?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by GodsMopol: 10:25am On Jul 12, 2020
There are lot of lessons that has been thought from the old testament and believe me you, no part of the Bible is no more significant.

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by PussyOdour(m): 11:03am On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
Because they are foolish, ignorant and fake christians

You can say that again

Lasticlala shift this piece to front page
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by butterfly777(m): 11:06am On Jul 12, 2020
Who says tithing has gone with the Old Testament? Read your Bible.

Jesus says we should tithe, without neglecting other doctrines of God.

Luke 11:42.
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Like many other doctrines of God, tithing started in the old testament and continues in our new testament.

Be blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by JourneytoEL(f): 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2020
waterfas:

Please, point of correction, you can't blame God for anything even if you pay your tithe. Paying tithe does not guarantee business success. I believe we should have learnt some vital biblical truth in this (covid 19) period. Please let prayerfully dig deep into the Bible by ourselves, change the version if it ll enable you to understand it better. Thanks.
i don't remember saying paying tithes guarantees business success
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2020
JourneytoEL:
I used to ask the same question, till I saw, Mal 3:6 I am the Lord, and I do not change. Yes, the law, has been done away, but those laws with a blessing like the law of tithe will forever bless those who practice them. Tithing was first done by Abraham before the law, the law only gave ordinances and directions. The early Christians actually gave their all not even 10% to the church for equal distribution. It is also paramount to note that a good number of the earliest Christians were going to the temples on sabbath (saturday) and church on Sunday before the separation. So, they must likely paid their tithes. Under Grace, we are not obligated to pay tithes, but if you wish to have God's hands in your finances or you want to advance his gospel, it is highly advisable to tithe. If you don't tithe you have no right to blame God if your business fails according to the Whatsoever you sow, that you shall reap principle.
Check this thread and get educated on tithe.

https://www.nairaland.com/5783004/sentenced-asking-members-tithes-drama
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 1:18pm On Jul 12, 2020
butterfly777:
Who says tithing has gone with the Old Testament? Read your Bible.

Jesus says we should tithe, without neglecting other doctrines of God.

Luke 11:42.
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Like many other doctrines of God, tithing started in the old testament and continues in our new testament.

Be blessed.
That is old testament not new testament. There is no instruction to tithe in the new testament.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by JourneytoEL(f): 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Check this thread and get educated on tithe.

https://www.nairaland.com/5783004/sentenced-asking-members-tithes-drama
lol, that one is small sef. as at January/Feb of this year, I was among the daddy freeze gang that hated tithing and all it stood for. I still remember how I argued and called people that practiced it fools and sheeples, till when I re-dedicated my life. I decided to open my bible one day, and immediately I saw I am God and i never change, a still voice told me, that is the answer to your question, the next I read was the normal tithing passage from malachi. You see, no one preached to me. It was like a divine revelation. at first I started wondering if that voice belonged to the devil, but the devil will never ask tell me to pay my tithes, instead he will tell me to flex it on food.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 1:39pm On Jul 12, 2020
JourneytoEL:
lol, that one is small sef. as at January/Feb of this year, I was among the daddy freeze gang that hated tithing and all it stood for. I still remember how I argued and called people that practiced it fools and sheeples, till when I re-dedicated my life. I decided to open my bible one day, and immediately I saw I am God and i never change, a still voice told me, that is the answer to your question, the next I read was the normal tithing passage from malachi. You see, no one preached to me. It was like a divine revelation. at first I started wondering if that voice belonged to the devil, but the devil will never ask tell me to pay my tithes, instead he will tell me to flex it on food.
Once again, go and read the thread I posted. Malachi was about the priests.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by donnie(m): 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2020
1. Only the Priest, a Levite of the House of Israel was authorized to take tithes from the people. No Pastor, Bishop, Evangelist, apostle, prophet ever collected tithes because they were not authorized to do so by The Most High. (Nehemiah 10:37-38)

2. Since temple worship has ceased, so has Tithe and Firstfruit collection ceased until the Saviour returns, who will restore the priesthood and temple worship.

3. Tithes and firstfruits were received from only Israelites only at the place YAH chose to put his name, the temple in Jerusalem. (Deut 14:23, 2Chron 6:6)

4. Only landowners who grew crops and livestock tithed of their harvest, the Savior who was a carpenter couldn't have paid tithes. (Leviticus 27:30,32)

5. Money was not given as tithe. Tithes were in seeds, fruits, livestock, and other agricultural produce. You were penalized for bringing money as the tithe. (Leviticus 27:30-32)

6. The tither, together with the fatherless, the widows, the stranger, and the Levite (who had no land, or business) all came to the temple to eat the tithe and be satisfied. (Deut 14:23,29)

7. FIRSTFRUITS... that one is a whole new level of fraud.

8. Did Abraham and Jacob pay tithes as Christians do today?

These and many more in this video for those who love to know and walk in truth. For those who will continue in this deceit, there is a warning for you.

#AwakeOIsrael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVX90LJe_7k

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by butterfly777(m): 2:07pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

That is old testament not new testament. There is no instruction to tithe in the new testament.

You mean Luke11:42 is Old Testament?

This you must do, refers to paying of tithe.

You're probably not even a Christian.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2020
butterfly777:

You mean Luke11:42 is Old Testament?

This you must do, refers to paying of tithe.

You're probably not even a Christian.

If you understand the real meaning of new testament then you should know that new testament takes effect after death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Tithe was never mentioned after death and resurrection of Christ in the bible. Testament means will. A will takes effect after the death of the person. New testament began when Jesus died after crucifixion. Luke11:42 belongs to old testament

Secondly, is your pastor a descendant of Levi? The only priest we have now is Jesus Christ, not your pastors.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 3:07pm On Jul 12, 2020
PussyOdour:

You can say that again

Lasticlala shift this piece to front page

grin
"Because they are foolish, ignorant and fake christians" grin
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Jul 12, 2020
Anigreat:
It's only in old testament that i have seen the word "tithe" been mentioned.

There's no place in the new testament that directly speak on tithing except in the old testament.

Most christians, preachers of the gospel, pastors etc. Do not subscribe to the laws of the old testament, as they feel , the laws was given to the Jews back then, and the laws are no longer effective since Jesus Christ came to die on earth.

If we're not under laws but grace as most preachers would make us to hear; that Jesus christ rendered the laws useless since from the day he died on the cross. Why then can we for go all the commandments of the old testament, why do we stick to tithing.

I'm just a curious christian, i need an answer to my question. Thanks!

Lasticlala
Mynd44

happy Sunday guys!
pastors
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

If you understand the real meaning of new testament then you should know that new testament takes effect after death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Tithe was never mentioned after death and resurrection of Christ in the bible. Testament means will. A will takes effect after the death of the person. New testament began when Jesus died after crucifixion. Luke11:42 belongs to old testament

Secondly, is your pastor a descendant of Levi? The only priest we have now is Jesus Christ, not your pastors.
grin preach it!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

A will, is God Dead?

Did the Lord not clearly say that every Commandment Shall Be Fully Filled, before the World even Ends?

Or does the Proclaimation of the Living, Terminate Upon His Death?

And if it were even possible that it could Terminate, Shall it Not, Upon The Resurrection of the The Proclaimer, Be Resurrected with Him?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 3:39pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Testament refers to Testimony which means A Statement or Declaration!

The dead are not capable of testifying, only the Living who do it while they yet live!

And it is only Revoked while they yet live which Christ never ever Revoked!

So therefore His Statement that "I came to fulfill the Law and not to destroy or alter or expunge or rectify the Law" Stands Forever unless Expressly Revoked, which He Never at any time Did Revoke!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

The dead are not capable of testifying, only the Living who do it while they yet live!

So therefore His Statement that "I came to fulfill the Law and not to destroy or alter or expunge or rectify the Law" Stands Forever unless Expressly Revoked, which He Never at any time Did Revoke!

from wikipedia

A will or testament is a legal document that expresses a person's wishes as to how their property is to be distributed after their death and as to which person is to manage the property until its final distribution.

On the old Covenant, Jesus Christ did not abolish or amend it. He instead presented us with a new one as promised by God in Jeremiah 31, and Ezekiel 36

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 3:45pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

Why are you not sacrificing animals to God ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by butterfly777(m): 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Testament is after death? So, the Old Testament is after whose death?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 4:02pm On Jul 12, 2020
butterfly777:

Testament is after death? So, the Old Testament is after whose death?

I Wonder oh! grin

And Beautiful Answer there!

As if God Ever Died!

Or as if the Dead Can even Speak.

"What is Dead, is Dead!" grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Battle of Armageddon and the end of this world / How Black Man Came Into Existence / What Is The Evidence That The Bible Is The Word Of God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.