Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) (38463 Views)

Some Ways To Stop The Internet From Ruining Your Day / How Smartphones Are Ruining Our Conversations And Lifestyle / Please MTN Keeps Sending Me This Message How Do I Quit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Humanoid01(m): 12:48pm On Jul 13, 2020
Remimadrid1:
Well, what about us Gamers. I can play game from morning till night on my phone, but never Social Media .
Am I addicted to.
When something takes the most of your time, and you can't control how often you use it, it's an addiction. It's even worse when it offers little or no productivity. So yes, you're addicted to gaming, and it's certainly not healthy for you since it isn't offering a major productivity. The fact that it helps you pass time and stops you from thinking doesn't necessarily make it any less unhealthy.

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 13, 2020
Spot on bro. But the pandemic made it worse especially for us teachers grin. Though thats not an excuse.

I still try to be off social media sometimes. Like before the lockdown, I was busy with work and on days when I dont have a school to cover, I go to the library. Though I still surf the net ( for free but with strict warnings/ rules that you dont visit social media sites) for one hour there before going to the book shelf to read or do whatever assignment that took me there. And then I loved going shopping!!!! Awwwnnn miss pre-lockdown era. Anyways better times ahead.

So .. Op, na the tin wey cause too much social "mediaring" be that. Plus some online side hustle too can make one visit frequently to see if there are clients in need of your services.

As for checking for those Uneccessary likes, mentions, cyber war replies, I concurr. its not healthy. This thing is serious cos a white girl once committed suicide because she didn't get much likes on one of her posts undecided. Sounds crazy but its real and some if not most people here feel depressed when they dont get much likes or mentions on their comments and post. ( argue with your keypad tongue)

I hardly do WhatsApp except for very important things. Just trying to see what areas I'm guilty and prolly make adjustments.

As for NAIRALAND!!! I can go days without logging on cos there's really nothing serious I do here. I just come here for laughs except for religion section where I gain some knowledge nothing more.

Hopefully this lockdown will be over completely and well make necessary adjustments.

Op, thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by poweredcom(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2020
All our runs girls have casted social media
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Eileene(f): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2020
Eniolakiite:
It depletes self esteem if you compare your life to what you see on social media. Always remember that people only show you what they want. And things are not always as they seem.

Yeah this is so true,i had to deactivate my fb acct last year cos my friend list were made up of old classmates,seniors, juniors,teachers and church members whom I constantly found myself comparing my life to.It got so bad that i started feeling I was being monitored, like there are some frenemies that will just pop up after few months to ask 'what are u doing now' and its not like they are adding to my life.mtchew. I hate nonsense
Tbh wisdom and moderation is the key

3 Likes

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Revolva(m): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2020
I use social media to pass my brand to the masses and I see no reason to delete any for now

I control what I expose there

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Bloghomies(m): 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2020
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Ifeco777(m): 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2020
Degrezhaa:
I have decided to uninstall Facebook and Instagram, cause i waste a lot of time there achieving nothing...
I left WhatsApp to connect sometimes...
Social media media has no benefit to my life
yea but it can if you choose to meanwhile dm me asap 09026596679 to join forsage today and accumulate as many etherum as possible....do this and thank me later....... cheers
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Bloghomies(m): 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2020
SmartPolician:
Bloghomies

I think you are blowing to things out of proportion

Admittedly, it has its negative aspects

But let's not pretend that social media is all about evils

On social media,

1. you make new friends (people even meet their life partners)

2. People apply for jobs and get them

3. People share ideas and learn too

4. It keeps people busy when they don't have anything to do

I can go on and on

Whenever you say anything related to science, make sure you mention your source

I doubt if you read my article, cause if you did you wouldn't have made this comment. Perhaps you scanned it.. Read again, I never said SM is evil.
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by JayromWrites: 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2020
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by JayromWrites: 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2020
Meedon:

Prove?

Alaye English teacher

Prove is a verb while proof is a noun

I know what i said, and i said what i know

Gbe body e

Inspector general of English language, nairaland Region

4 Likes

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Thepsyhiccensor: 1:03pm On Jul 13, 2020
Bloghomies:
I'm fond of writing long epistles, only because the ideas that flows through my brain can be somewhat overwhelming.

In that case, I'm going to try and make this article short and to the point. That way, I don't lose your attention.

Now you're asking, how is social media ruining my life?

You probably have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. installed on your phone. Who doesn't?

Ask yourself, "How much time do I spend using these apps every day?"

When you're arguing with some strange online warriors, posting and watching tons of videos and memes, do you know how fast time fly?

Of course you don't, cause these platforms were created to be addictive.

If you're not using these online platforms as a tool, chances are you're using it to activate your dopamine.

It's stronger than meth, cocaine, heroin...It's like a drug you might never overcome!

Right now, you're alone. Perhaps lying on your bed. If I'm to go through your minimized apps right now, I'm certain I'll see these social media apps.

Oh.. A message just came in that you're about to check, right?

Ahhhh...!

When was the last time you slept early? Better put this way, when was the last time your phone took a one hour break, without you touching it?

Probably when you're sleeping!

You're so bored, with a very short attention span that sometimes, you find yourself depressed.

You're probably looking for reasons to close this thread, cause it's so boring! Oh yes! Your dophamine level is now getting low and its frightening.

Social media is killing you! You know it, but you're too weak to do something about it.

Every minute you're checking your messages, your notifications.

You want to know if that picture has gotten enough likes, or if that online warrior has replied to your comment.

While you're busy brushing up your social media lifestyle, your skill, talent, and career are dying.

How am i so dead accurate? Because I've been there.

You either use it, or it uses you. Do you know that the creators of these social media apps don't even use their apps?

They don't even allow their children to use it. They know the truth, how addictive it can be even to the most discipline.

I learned the hard way, and the enlightenment changed my life.

When I removed these social apps from my phone, I felt free. I felt happier! I was more productive, and richer.

Oh! I said this was going to be a short article, but look how far you've gone. For the first time, you are paying attention!

In that case, I am here to share my experience, and to help you overcome this addiction that's about to ruin your life, just like it nearly ruined mine.

This purpose of this thread is to help, cause this is a pandemic that the world isn't tackling. I have nothing to lose or gain creating this thread, but you have everything do gain.

Apologies for any grammar error or misspelling.. This isn't an English class, but an enlightening class that will change your mind.

Blessed are the poor

Key words: Priest Pastor Child Rape

https://www.google.com/search?q=priest+pastor+child+rape&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&source=android-browser&prmd=nvi&sxsrf=ALeKk03D-CjXwGgVJ3pw-stmF6XZtrhKNw:1594641868981&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD05Pxl8rqAhUpgnIEHceLBEoQ_AUoA3oECAwQAw&biw=360&bih=520

Name them devils or suffer the wrath of change

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by sotherefore: 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
Following sir
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2020
QueenMelinda:
which app do you use to earn crypto coins?
Hehehe smart girl cheesy go try Quicrypto for a start first
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Faithful4real(m): 1:13pm On Jul 13, 2020
Remimadrid1:
Well, what about us Gamers. I can play game from morning till night on my phone, but never Social Media .
Am I addicted to.
Omo same thing here. I dey play pubg everyday just to reach ace trier.
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by GoodBoi1(m): 1:14pm On Jul 13, 2020
Social media is what you make of it. The same social media some persons use to useless themselves is the same social media others use to add value to themselves and give themselves an edge. The world has changed , you can't afford to not use social media even for businesses else you will missing out on value and customers. There is a lot of information flying about these days. This same Nairaland I got information that plays a major role in my career and that God used to lift me out of poverty, not to talk of Facebook, twitter and even LinkedIn. Believe me if you know the capabilities of these platforms and how to maximize it, it will serve you well. It won't make sense for you to stay off social media in order to be productive and you while away on TV, movies, series, football, newspaper/beer parlor idle talks etc. Moderation is also key too. Every platform I use has its purpose the only one I hardly use is Instagram but that platform is valuable too in its own way

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Meedon: 1:15pm On Jul 13, 2020
We no the chop Engrish

JayromWrites:

Alaye English teacher

Gbe body e

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Meedon: 1:16pm On Jul 13, 2020
Heiterkeit:

I'm sorry, big man.

Yeah that is how a little girl have to behave whenever she sees an elder.
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by KushLyon(m): 1:18pm On Jul 13, 2020
The thing is I don't usually like using those social media and I don't understand why people are so attached to them. I used facebook for sometime, after a while I abandoned it and switched to instagram. I used instagram for some months, mainly watching funny videos and looking at memes, then I got tired of it and stopped going there. I had twitter account since 2016 which I don't even use. Recently I became quite active on twitter and it was fun, but only for a few weeks. Right now I can't even remember when last I logged into twitter. The only one I use is whatsapp, which is important for keeping in contact with friends and clients for business
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Eileene(f): 1:19pm On Jul 13, 2020
JayromWrites:

Alaye English teacher
Gbe body e
Take it easy
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Angelfrost(m): 1:22pm On Jul 13, 2020
This is easily one of the best articles I have read this year so far... He that hath ears and eyes should use them.

3 Likes

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by JayromWrites: 1:24pm On Jul 13, 2020
Meedon:

We no the chop Engrish

So you know?

And u wan come correct me

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by JayromWrites: 1:24pm On Jul 13, 2020
Eileene:

Take it easy

Easy does it
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Astrologyfact: 1:27pm On Jul 13, 2020
Meedon:
I deactivated my facebook account in January because I don't see any helpful information there, all I see is adult and teenagers fooling theirselves up and down posting yeye pictures.

I'm out.

The only thing I'm addicted to now is KDP
Please what is KDP
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by BonPatrick(m): 1:40pm On Jul 13, 2020
Useless post
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by VickyRotex(f): 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2020
oyinlola15:
GET
Buy followers,likes, subcribers, views at affordable prices

Tiktok followers, tiktok views, tiktok likes

Instagram followers, instagram likes and views

GET kor, POST ni.

This is exactly what the OP is talking about.

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Caleycash(m): 1:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
Almost everything has its advantage and disadvantage, I've learnt a lot online, I think what matters most is being "MODERATE" in whatsoever we do in life.

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Vickho6(m): 1:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
vincenteger:
Love this
I only have have FB and whatapp
Deleted the others becos of the rate of data consumption

Thank you for this information
Please what can one do online that will involve earning
I'm interested

Bro if u get one (earning) pls dm me too lol cos I too am interested

I wanna limit the time been spent on social media too
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by Meedon: 1:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
JayromWrites:

So you know?

And u wan come correct me

Don't mind me jare

1 Like

Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by JGreg(m): 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2020
Meedon:
I deactivated my facebook account in January because I don't see any helpful information there, all I see is adult and teenagers fooling theirselves up and down posting yeye pictures.

I'm out.

The only thing I'm addicted to now is KDP

Please what is KDP
Re: Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) by dangoteinlaw: 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2020
King44:
I am addicted smh to nairaland because of news and updates but other social apps I seldom check... FB ones in 4 weeks or two sometimes months and sometimes a year, Instagram has been deleted I have been gaining nothing from that app. Twitter ones in a week or two for gists but nairalad!!! May God deliver me... Only check when I am less busy though.
instead of instagram use tiktok then come back and thank me. Op is right these apps are using you but Facebook can never be resolved expended. Instagram is a very useless app. All it does is bring ppl depression and put the rest in trouble.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Infinix Zero 8 Unboxing, First Impressions And Review + Price (photos) / How To Download Youtube Videos With Opera Mini / How To Boost Your 2go Star Progress From Novice To Ultimate In 1week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.