Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him (42610 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 86th Birthday / Yakubu Gowon Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2020
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.
Uncommon Facts about him:
Although W.S was a chorister born into a Christian devoted home of an Anglican Minister and head master of a missionary school, he is today a devoted Ogun deity worshipper.
This is contrary to the popular belief that he is an atheist. His writings, memoirs, interviews and indulgence has proved him to believe so much in the Yoruba tradition and Ogun deity.
His book, Idanre was dedicated to Ogun deity.
Every year he sacrifices a ram for his family—or, to be specific, for his children.
Opting for infantry in the Officer training corps, he was called up by Her Royal Majesty to fight in the Suez war of 1956. In his attempt to decline and avoid being court martialed, he feigned to speak only Yoruba and no knowledge of English language which was the language of recitation of oath to Her Majesty . He would later escape the camp and was saved from being court martialed after stating he was a second class citizen and not from Lagos which were colonial subjects.
He also trained for the war in Hungary but dropped out on the order of his father.
He once held a radio station hostage with the aid of a gun. He ordered the tape of the premier’s election speech be removed and replaced with his own pre-recorded speech.
He once hid in the office and under a massive oak desk in Chief Awolowo’s office while Awolowo himself was imprisoned. He would later narrate the incident to Chief Awolowo years later.
He has been hosted by famous African leaders like Nelson Mandela, Thabo Mbeki, a younger Cyril Ramaphosa and so many other famous world presidents.
W.S travelled to Biafra where he held a meeting with Odumegwu Ojukwu and then with Victor banjo and Philip Alale. The latter two were soon executed by Ojukwu. It was from Victor Banjo that Soyinka first ever heard the name Olusegun Obasanjo.
W.S met Olusegun Obasanjo for the first time at a filling station in the middle of the night in Ibadan. He was to deliver a message from Biafra’s Victor Banjo.
Obasanjo had a gun under his garment which was a breach of the pre-arranged agreement. Obasanjo simply responded he is a soldier and shouldn’t be caught by surprise. Banjo’s message through Soyinka was to tell Obasanjo to allow unhindered passage of the Biafran soldiers to Lagos to seize power.
Ibrahim Babangida, as a military president, had twice paid him visits in his home.

Babangida also conferred on him the title of the order of Niger —CON honour. Although Soyinka was initially going to decline this honour except Babangida could prove his innocence in the assassination of Dele Giwa.
Babangida, in his office asked Soyinka if he also believed the conspiracy about his involvement.
No writer should ever look for prizes but, if one falls into your lap, grab it
He is the founder of the FRSC (road safety corps) more especially due to the frequent accidents along the Ibadan-Ife road. He described the road as a slaughter slab, since he habitually scooped up his student’s brains after filling them with knowledge
Babangida also confided in Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P Clark to halt the trial of Mamman Vatsa. The trio were in a frenzy when the news Vatsa’s prompt execution broke out.
W.S was with IBB hours before a failed coup which almost claimed the de facto president’s life and was also present with IBB hours after the coup.
He is one of the few Nigerians alive who have ever set their eyes on the real Ori-Olokun after going on a failed mission to steal back the plaque with the approval of General Olusegun Obasanjo. The original bronze made Ori-Olokun was later found in a Museum in England instead of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
He speaks French
He was planning to take a nap when he was announced as a Nobel Laurette in literature. He was rumored to most likely win the Nobel prize in literature in 1985 but his hope was dashed and he refused to take the rumour serious in 1986 until he was announced.
While attempting to flee from Abacha via a boat and then a bike with his family in a night, he spotted an SSS agent and he had his pistol ready to fire and intent to kill him incase he attempted to apprehend him. On his successful escape to Benin republic, he was face-to-face to a Yoruba masquerade but still relaxed.
Daddy is indeed a confident god.
He has lectured in world class universities e.g Oxford, Havard, Yale ..name it (in his voice grin)
Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Source: His books, majorly his personal memoirs
Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today
I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!

180 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 12:06am On Jul 13, 2020
Nothing like a true icon living to a ripe old age!
HBD to a true legend!

But this shows it’s not from eating vegetables and avoiding danger and all that. WS didn’t do any of that. Infact I heard he didn’t drink water for ten years - only wine! The way he lived guaranteed he’d die young. Yet here we are!

** Two FTC back to back!
From now onwards I want to be known as Mr. FTC!!

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Is04970: 12:27am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to Wole Soyinka.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 12:28am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Cool.
But this shows it’s not from eating vegetables and avoiding danger and all that. WS didn’t do any of that. Infact I heard he didn’t drink water for ten years - only wine! The way he lived guaranteed he’d die young. Yet here we are!
Nothing like a true icon living to a ripe old age!
HBD to a true legend!
I learnt about the water and wine issue and Obasanjo in an interview almost admitted to it. (You can find the interview on YouTube) However, I haven't any proof as I haven't read or heard directly from W.S about staying away from water. But, it is a common knowledge that He is a lover of wine and has been inducted into various wine fraternities.

15 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by realstars: 12:36am On Jul 13, 2020
Should I Conclude That He Has Seen It All?
He Is The Good, The Bad And The Wise One.
HBD. To WS

39 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Bakin3(m): 12:44am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday sir.

We construct Bio digester (Modern Sockaway)
The Biofil toilet digester system is a new modern toilet technology; It is a small enclosed chamber that replaces the septic tank or manhole, odorless, little maintenance.
Check my signature.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 12:45am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

I learnt about the water and wine issue and Obasanjo in an interview almost admitted to it. (You can find the interview on YouTube) However, I haven't any proof as I haven't read or heard directly from W.S about staying away from water. But, it is a common knowledge that He is a lover of wine and has been inducted into various wine fraternities.

What he said was that wisdom came to him at a young age, unlike other people. The wisdom that came to him? That wine is better than water. So from a young age he drank wine not water! grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 12:54am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

What he said was that wisdom came to him at a young age, unlike other people. The wisdom that came to him? That wine is better than water. So from a young age he drank wine not water! grin
In that particular interview, he was asked if it was true that he had "refused" to drink water for over 10 years.
Then he was like "it is not refusal but he had come to knowledge at a very young age and found out wine is better than water "
To me, I think it's an evasive answer. I have often asked friends in medical line and google if it was possible to stay away from water for such a long time

Also in his book Ake; there's nowhere he talked about staying away from water. He was in a Christian home under strict parents. He couldn't have had access to wine.

22 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 1:02am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

In that particular interview, he was asked if it was true that he had "refused" to drink water for over 10 years.
Then he was like "it is not refusal but he had come to knowledge at a very young age and found out wine is better than water "
To me, I think it's an evasive answer. I have often asked friends in medical line and google if it was possible to stay away from water for such a long time

Well he clearly preferred wine to water. The exact opposite of what we are advised to do to live long!!
All health experts are always saying, “Drink water, drink water, water, water, water!!!”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 1:04am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Well he clearly preferred wine to water. The exact opposite of what we are advised to do to live long!!
All health experts are always saying, “Drink water, drink water, water, water, water!!!”
I guess that's another reason he is a small god grin..
He had prostate cancer and got cured of it in 2014

17 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 1:07am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
I guess that's another reason he is a small god grin..
He had prostate cancer and got cured of it in 2014

No, what it shows is that there’s a lot we don’t know. 1000 years from now it may be found that health experts of today were full of shít!

50 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 1:11am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!

Note well: Heineken is NOT wine
He said WINE!!

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by sageb: 1:51am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday prof

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by tobechi74: 2:17am On Jul 13, 2020
i love the fact that he still worships his tradituonal rekigion rather than imported one

27 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Yankee101: 3:29am On Jul 13, 2020
Cultists

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by allthingsgood: 3:37am On Jul 13, 2020
He just sounds like a trouble maker tbh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by LegendHero(m): 3:46am On Jul 13, 2020
The true Legend!

15 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 4:18am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Note well: Heineken is NOT wine
He said WINE!!
Lol, that's what I had cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Heineken(m): 4:21am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Note well: Heineken is NOT wine He said WINE!!
my boss I hail sir. Long time bro. How is everything?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 13, 2020
Without Christ. He is nothing.

33 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by GodWrites: 6:34am On Jul 13, 2020
He is one of the great minds, and his footprint will never be erased. That is what happens when you discover a path that was meant for you.. In today's generation, their path is the one that leads to money.. Pathetic! To discover your path in business, visit www.bloghomies.com

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by okoeye: 6:35am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday grandpa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 13, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Goldencheese(m): 6:35am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday erudite Professor Wole Soyinka.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Microfels: 6:36am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to Bros Kongi! Wole Soyinka is a legend. You have forever etched your name on the sands of time, may we always remember.

9 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ChoCho54(f): 6:36am On Jul 13, 2020
Las Las, ordinary Buhari decieved him.

12 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Military Airstrike In Kaduna Forest Hits Bandits’ Camp, Kills Scores / MURIC: "Fayose Wants To Set Nigeria On Fire, Nobody Should Blame Muslims For..." / MKO Abiola: Why There Will Be No Public Holiday On June 12 This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.