Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him (42616 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 86th Birthday / Yakubu Gowon Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Enyimbamercedes: 10:17am On Jul 13, 2020
sesan85:
Whatever, Osu Boy! Keep crying over the Nobel Prize he won because the tribalistic old clown Achebe couldn't win it. We're enjoying your tears!

I didn’t call him a fiction writer; it was his fellow tribesman who did.

I’m not from the east so I cannot be Osu.

Thank you
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by mukthar2000(m): 10:19am On Jul 13, 2020
I WISH MYSELF HAPPY BIRTHDAY WITH THIS CUP OF TEA.

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by bigtt76(f): 10:34am On Jul 13, 2020
Number 11 - FRSC was not founded by WS though he may have used his relationship with IBB to champion its setting up and was the pioneer corp marshal. Ever since then, the corp has been manned the reserve of his 'boys' cheesy

Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.
Uncommon Facts about him:

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Source: His books, majorly his personal memoirs
Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today
I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 13, 2020
EVILFOREST:

.... because someone from EUROPE came down to AFRICA and told you so.
U are Finished ooooo.
U are really Finished.

U need HYPO to wash your Eyes.
In NIGERIA you Find Reverend FATHERS who never get married in Life teaching as counselors in marriage classes...
How can someone without the EXPERIENCE of something lecture you on it..?

Meanwhile, the REVEREND FATHERS abroad don't dare such. In Nigeria everything goes. We swallow Everything. Why won't they reduce your IQ to Zero by assessment, when someone is busy thinking 4u..?
What an Irony...?

You will give account before your maker when its time bro. But i pray you meet the Lord prepared.

Shalom
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by leaculpa: 10:37am On Jul 13, 2020
They forgot to add him and fela anikulapo kuti are cousins.

His mother is a kuti. A very politically active family. Fela also abandoned his christian upbringing.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Ayobami7(m): 10:47am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by AdujaZik(m): 10:59am On Jul 13, 2020
Sailor22:
Without Christ. He is nothing.
Absolutely Nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Sammy07: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

Can you post proofs from prof. Wole Soyinka's books or poems where he categorically stated he worships Ogun?

As far as I can tell, he's one of the foremost atheists and irreligionists in Nigeria and Africa.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Africa

In his book, "Climate of Fear: The Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World", which was published in 2007, he said, "I already had certain agnostic tendencies—which would later develop into outright atheistic convictions— so it was not that I believed in any kind of divine protection."

In an interview with the Academy of Achievements in 2009, while answering a question about religion, he said: "I learned very early of traditional deities (of the) Yorùbá: Ogun, for instance, God of Iron, the Road, Poetry, et cetera; Shango, God of Lightning.

"I found the traditional religions far more fascinating, because they didn’t force me to go to the regular service and dress up and things like that. A bit more relaxed, more humanist in my view. But it didn’t mean that I didn’t like the other religions either. I was a member of the church choir quite early, because I liked music, and in any case, as a son of the headmaster who was also a deacon...

"I think both my parents tried too hard, so I rebelled quite early and found myself more attuned to a comparative approach to religions, comparative." https://achievement.org/achiever/wole-soyinka/#interview

He considers Ogun as his Muse (a source of inspiration and patron) but doesn't worship him as God.

Therefore, he's an atheist not an Ogun worshipper.

CC: Officialgarri

Like say I get time to be posting proofs?

I read it in one of his books, go and check it idanre or so
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by gees101(m): 11:05am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday sir i wish you a useful longlife and prosperity in Jesus name Amen
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Like say I get time to be posting proofs?

I read it in one of his books, go and check it idanre or so
Anyone can claim anything. No proof to back your claim.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Sammy07: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

Anyone can claim anything. No proof to back your claim.

Rubbish!
So you expect me to be looking for his book and quote you where it is written?
Since when?

You're saying nonsense sir!
Okay go and read all his books together you'll find one.

Ase lọ n sọ.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Rubbish!
So you expect me to be looking for his book and quote you where it is written?
Since when?

You're saying nonsense sir!
Okay go and read all his books together you'll find one.

Ase lọ n sọ.
I posted proofs from his one of his books and interviews earlier, where he stated categorically he isn't a religionist.

Most people even know some of the most popular atheists in Nigeria are Wole Soyinka (WS) and Tai Solarin.

Thus, the claim that WS worships Ogun is absurd.

When you can't back a claim with a proof, it's tantamount to noise-making.

That's how some people were peddling a lie that he graduated with a third class from UI, which he's since debunked.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Sammy07: 11:17am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

I posted proofs from his one of his books and interviews earlier where he stated categorically he isn't a religionist.

Most people even know some of the most popular atheists in Nigeria are Wole Soyinka (WS) and Tai Solarin.

Thus, the claim that WS worships Ogun is absurd.

When you can't back a claim with a proof, it's tantamount to noise-making.

Okay, believe whatever you wanna believe Abeq.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by SammyO7: 11:20am On Jul 13, 2020
[s]
Sammy07:

Okay, believe whatever you wanna believe Abeq.
[/s]
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by yemiosinbajo: 11:34am On Jul 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Go and read his book "Dawn or Idanre" you'll see where he said it.

It's not about what's in his book. Havd you met him in person? I was at Ake festival, and he mentioned he was atheist.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 11:35am On Jul 13, 2020
Heineken:
my boss I hail sir. Long time bro. How is everything?

Lol... he was drinking you.
We are managing my brother. Hope all’s well with u
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 11:45am On Jul 13, 2020
phemmyfour:
you are wrong. The way our body reacts to what we eat or drinks differs. WS might just belong to the 1% that gets away with it.

Since you are not sure of your body capability, why not stay it water. At least its proven 100%....no one stay with water and regrets later

U really don’t know. Many things health experts were 100% sure of 200 years ago are laughable today
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Heineken(m): 12:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Lol... he was drinking you.
We are managing my brother. Hope all’s well with u
lol bro I'm fine sir. Just checking on you. Have a splendid day ahead sir
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by CanadaOrBust: 12:31pm On Jul 13, 2020
Heineken:
lol bro I'm fine sir. Just checking on you. Have a splendid day ahead sir

U too my bros, u too

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by manTEA: 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to "the prof."
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by PharmD911: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.
Uncommon Facts about him:

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Source: His books, majorly his personal memoirs
Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today
I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!

Hi, pls is that ori olokun head at that Mayfair roundabout the same thing with the head on OAU logo? And do you mean the ori olokun head at Mayfair round about is fake,haha?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
PharmD911:

Hi, pls is that ori olokun head at that Mayfair roundabout the same thing with the head on OAU logo? And do you mean the ori olokun head at Mayfair round about is fake,haha?

The one at mayfair was moulded. At a time, I was in Ife during it's construction. And how would you think the real plaque will be mounted in public.

According to Prof, the real Ori-olokun has a portion of its cheek chipped off. When the plaque was being dug out from the earth (quite accidentally) , it must have be struck by the tool and broke a piece off its cheek

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Obasanjo Refuses To See Jonathan, Sneaks Out Of Ogun State / Fulani Herdsmen Attack On Beji, Niger State Village In Pictures / Doyin Okupe's Reaction To The Embarrassing Video On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.