Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,790 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU (526 Views)

I Bleeped My Female Lecturers When I Was In School / Do Female Lecturers Chase After Their Male Students? / Lets Talk About What Constitutes Sexual Harrassment And Rape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Jazzlite: 12:39am On Jul 14, 2020
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has condemned the recently passed bill on sexual harassment and rape, alleging that it is targeted at lecturers.

Speaking at a Town Hall meeting with critical stakeholders in Jos on Monday, July 13, the National President of ASUU Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi said the bill which is yet to be signed into law is discriminatory and also targeted at the male lecturers.

Ogunyemi stated that the bill is capable of making male lecturers reject female students. He said;

”Our reaction to that Bill is that, it is discriminatory and is targeted at male lecturers.

“We don’t want a situation, where male lecturers will begin to say they don’t want to teach female students, because they say we should not smile to female students.

“So a time may come, when male lecturer will say, we won’t teach female students, let them get female lecturers, let them get female supervisor.

“l’m not sure, we want that, and that is not also healthy for the society. Because at one point or the other, there will be a point of interface. So, what we are seeing is that, we have laws in the society, that already addressed issues of sexual harassment, issues of rape.

“Another form of victimization is that male students can also be raped in one way or the other and this has not been taken into account or has this type of bill passed.

“We went to the public hearing and we read our objections, well, we have not seen the newly passed bill, but, what we are told is that our views will be taken into account and we said, if they are laws in the society that already addressed the issues of harassment and rape, why are we duplicating efforts?”

"If it meant to cover all and some strata of the educational system, which means it could be a bill meant to cover all genders or both genders, male or female, which we have not seen. Our worries is that, all their talks is centred on the higher institutions, which should stop, because they are stigmatising and is like they are labelling lecturers as criminals or potential criminals.

"We can still raise our voices against that bill to ensure that it will promote equity, fairness and then, that is where we can have justice for all. We are against sexual harassment of our students. We do not support it in any forms.”
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Jazzlite: 12:39am On Jul 14, 2020
undecided
students sexually harass lecturers too.... I have intervened in some funny situations .....

1 Like

Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 14, 2020
look at what an educated person is saying.In saner climes such a bill will be supported.at least this will put in check randy male lecturers who force themselves on female students.

2 Likes

Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 14, 2020
Jazzlite:
undecided
students sexually harass lecturers too.... I have intervened in some funny situations .....
if its about being indecently dressed that u tag as female students harrasing male lecturers then a lecturer has the sole right to walk out a female student from his class who is indecently dressed.
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by missawele(f): 12:43am On Jul 14, 2020
Why do they think it's targeted at them? undecided

It is guilty conscience that is killing them.

I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help

1 Like

Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 12:47am On Jul 14, 2020
missawele:
Why do they think it's targeted at them? undecided

I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help
u mind am cheesy.maybe he belongs to those clique who force themselves at female students.they make threats at the female students to get in between their legs.Nobody is even castigating them o if any of them is dating a female student but its the issue of forcing themslves on a female student.Though in a foreign university if u are caught having a sexual relationship with your student even if he or she willingly u could get suspended or at most sacked.its not naija where a lecturer sexually harrases a student and his colleagues cover up for him.
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Jazzlite: 12:50am On Jul 14, 2020
lefulefu:
if its about being indecently dressed that u tag as female students harrasing male lecturers then a lecturer has the sole right to walk out a female student from his class who is indecently dressed.
male students on female lecturers ...
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 12:58am On Jul 14, 2020
Jazzlite:

male students on female lecturers ...
weda male or female students as long as the student is indecently dressed the lecturer has the right to walk out the student.In saner climes where things work its even the school security that prevent such a student getting in.
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 14, 2020
Yes let it be targeted to you lecturers cuz you guys come out and tell students they will fail your course for no good reasons

In other countries everyone wants students to pass their exams but Nigerian lecturers your own case different you want Students to fail your course instead
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by uniqueboi1(m): 5:41am On Jul 14, 2020
cheesy
At least our fine babes for universities go rest for una hand.
I remember when one lecturer chop my guy babe for UNN. E pain the guy like mad.
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Jazzlite: 8:01am On Jul 14, 2020
lefulefu:
weda male or female students as long as the student is indecently dressed the lecturer has the right to walk out the student.In saner climes where things work its even the school security that prevent such a student getting in.
Understand my post before responding
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2020
Jazzlite:

Understand my post before responding
are u a lecturer too?
Re: Rape Bill Is Targeted At Lecturers - ASUU by missawele(f): 5:27pm On Jul 14, 2020
lefulefu:
u mind am cheesy.maybe he belongs to those clique who force themselves at female students.they make threats at the female students to get in between their legs.Nobody is even castigating them o if any of them is dating a female student but its the issue of forcing themslves on a female student.Though in a foreign university if u are caught having a sexual relationship with your student even if he or she willingly u could get suspended or at most sacked.its not naija where a lecturer sexually harrases a student and his colleagues cover up for him.

He is definitely guilty.

Most Nigerian lecturers are like that. They feel being lecturers automatically makes them qualified to harass students.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are White Immigration Officers So Mean / Markangel Is Selfish And Stingy That's Why I Left The Comedy Group Denielsonigwe / Why Do Stupid Fathers Always Favour The Females More?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.