Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? (28533 Views)

Why Do People Frown At Using Left Hand / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / What Is Wrong With Using Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2020
Geesaintagape:
Remember where God says the sheep would be n the goats would also be.
Accepted Sheep to the right
Rejected goat to the left.
So u can channel ur question to God if u are not satisfied yet
Since you decide to take that passage literally would you also literally gorge out your eyes or cut off your arms to avoid sinning?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by offset67(m): 1:12pm On Jul 15, 2020
Because we blacks
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Minemrys: 1:13pm On Jul 15, 2020
EyezofGod120:
that means left hand is useless then
why do u recieve or give a handshake with ur right? See ehn, courtesy is courtesy. I have watchd whites c0mplimenting and handing things out, they do it with their right. It's different if u are handicapped.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nathphil(m): 1:14pm On Jul 15, 2020
Funny enough I had this discussion right now in a bus filled with old people. They argued that it brings bad luck for them and it's disrespectful. I don't see anything wrong with that btw
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by DICKstractor: 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2020
gypsey:
so what exactly is your point? so left hand isn't part of your body? and what kinda backwards and stupid tradition discriminates body parts? cheesy

next time some any one hands you a bag full with $10000 notes with a left hand just say NO. Ridiculous!! sad
He's saying shit. What nonsense courtesy?. The same white man will write a cheque for him, hand it over to him with left hand and he'll be expected to collect with his left
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Eva165: 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ok

Check in here if ur looking for where to earn some income

https://www.webtalk.co/6929402

Register and Thank me latta. But is not get rich quick stuffs but you must earn real cash
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:
Make una respect our culture for once... We are Africans abeg

Some things are better left the way they are !!!

Typical black man. No critical thinking, can’t exercise our brains. Intellectually lazy and closed minded. ‘My ancestors did it, so I must do it’

This is the Information Age guys. Wake up Africans. The developed world has left you behind!

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Minemrys: 1:23pm On Jul 15, 2020
andyanders:

What of a left handed person? U've to stop the mentality of respect herein.
If u bring out $100 bill, same person or u, who claim to be seeking respect, will grab the money. Anybody can give me anything with any hand he/she likes, and I don't give a Bleep.
guy, take am easy. Me and u no get quarrell na.
why do u recieve or give a handshake with ur right? See ehn, courtesy is courtesy. Respect na respect. Even whites, when they greet their boss, they n0d their head. When they greet, they either stand firm and shake hands or n0d and smile. I have watchd whites c0mplimenting and handing things out, they do it with their right. It's different if u are handicapped. The afro mentality there na, every0ne is superstitious and are quick to feel undermined when they d0n't recieve respect. S0me people if u d0n't greet them, they start thinking u are their enemy. So imagine u handing m0ney with ur left to an elder n0w, he'd feel insulted or feel u are wishing him bad. But using ur right is a mark of respect. Or why must we kn0ck b4 we enter people's r0oms? Or wear corp0rate clothes to work?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Minemrys: 1:25pm On Jul 15, 2020
gypsey:
it is an african achaic mentality and White people don't give shit what hand you hand them something with? believe it or not, what kinda stupid courtesy discriminates body parts? grin is left hand not part of ones body? ridiculous!
See ehn, courtesy is courtesy. Respect na respect. Even whites, when they greet their boss, they n0d their head. When they greet, they either stand firm and shake hands or n0d and smile. I have watchd whites c0mplimenting and handing things out, they do it with their right. It's different if u are handicapped. The afro mentality there na, every0ne is superstitious and are quick to feel undermined when they d0n't recieve respect. S0me people if u d0n't greet them, they start thinking u are their enemy. So imagine u handing m0ney with ur left to an elder n0w, he'd feel insulted or feel u are wishing him bad. But using ur right is a mark of respect. Or why must we kn0ck b4 we enter people's r0oms? Or wear corp0rate clothes to work?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kolade560: 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2020
grin
Biafrans that shakes elders standing upright , wakes their father by leg jabbing don't see anything wrong in using left hands. ;DBiafrans that shakes elders standing upright , wakes their father by leg jabbing don't see anything wrong in using left hands.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by daywatcher: 1:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
because our society is stuck in the middle ages
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by greenguy: 1:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
It's not evil, nor is it a sin, nor is there something really 'wrong' with the left hand.

English. Left. Right
Yoruba. Owo Osi. Owo Otun
Igbo. Aka Ekpe. Aka Nri

The above languages are ones I know very well. So find out what left, osi, and ekpe means and you'd see that they represent the negatives.

It's just a common sense thing. As Africans, we're cultured people and it has been our culture to give and receive with the right hand.

Some people here would say it means nothing, but they just lack good upbringing.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by rajiedreez: 1:35pm On Jul 15, 2020
The same reason why refusing to shake someone that extend his hand to you in greetings is referred to as I'll mannered
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Simpubozz(m): 1:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
Orelafintun:
Because you do good things with right hand and bad with left
Well, me i sha know that i will use my left hand to pick up my wallet if mistakenly dropped in a sewage tongue smiley
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by bahdpersona(m): 1:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
It's our culture, that's among what differentiate us from the western world...why would OP ask this kinda question seff?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Vanmatrix(m): 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2020
Giving and receiving with left hand na see finish
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 1:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
rajiedreez:
The same reason why refusing to shake someone that extend his hand to you in greetings is referred to as I'll mannered
I would not even notice if someone gives me his left hand for a handshake.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kiddkash(m): 1:45pm On Jul 15, 2020
Squillaci:
Obviously a symptom of low IQ. Why limit yourself to one hand when you have two.
soon in the future, your children will walk in the street naked.
they will tell you putting on clothes is backward.
you wont be able to say anything
if something isn't broken, don't fix it. just leave it the way it is
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Juliusmomoh: 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2020
Orelafintun:
Because you do good things with right hand and bad with left
Can u explain in detail ?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by tmphoto(m): 1:47pm On Jul 15, 2020
cornel00:
I have always wanted to ask this question for sometime now cos i don't really understand the mystery behind it.

I went to a shop to buy some provision, i tried to pay the seller with my left hand because my right hand was occupied with my tool box, she insisted i must give her the money with my right hand which i have no problem with, but i really want to know the reason so i thought bringing it up here will go a long way hearing different people's opinions.

People see it as a bad manner, but to me, it means nothing. I believe one cannot wash right hand effectively without the left hand. So why the condemnation? Is there any religious reference to back it up with?

Thank you!!!!

The same reason you can’t use your right hand for the purpose of rinsing your butt, instead you use the right
Tink abbbout it bro
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kiddkash(m): 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2020
Lovexme:
Only a backward society would continue with such.

Why is the right hand somewhat superior to the left?

What makes it a taboo to give/receive with the left hand?

also Imagine if you are up to 35 and your child that is 7 years old wakes up in the morning
and will be waiting for you to say good morning

go to a country like Ghana and see that kids there do not have respect
they don't greet or respect their parents because they weren't disciplined when they were young
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kiddkash(m): 1:49pm On Jul 15, 2020
Hezzyluv:
Na African mentality. God that created both hands, does it mean he made a mistake? make we stop dey use cutleries eat na.

also Imagine if you are up to 35 and your child that is 7 years old wakes up in the morning
and will be waiting for you to say good morning

go to a country like Ghana and see that kids there do not have respect
they don't greet or respect their parents because they weren't disciplined when they were young
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:

That's foolish.
Clothes protect us from the environment, heat, cold et all.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Dbarrzx: 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2020
On my opinion: both hands are equal & should be treated as such
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by BuddhaPalm(m): 1:54pm On Jul 15, 2020
As I heard...

Back in the day, when conditions were far from sanitary, it was the reserved hand for butt-wiping.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Dreyton36: 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2020
I'm a South paw and I'm proud of it
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 15, 2020
Minemrys:

See ehn, courtesy is courtesy. Respect na respect. Even whites, when they greet their boss, they n0d their head. When they greet, they either stand firm and shake hands or n0d and smile. I have watchd whites c0mplimenting and handing things out, they do it with their right. It's different if u are handicapped. The afro mentality there na, every0ne is superstitious and are quick to feel undermined when they d0n't recieve respect. S0me people if u d0n't greet them, they start thinking u are their enemy. So imagine u handing m0ney with ur left to an elder n0w, he'd feel insulted or feel u are wishing him bad. But using ur right is a mark of respect. Or why must we kn0ck b4 we enter people's r0oms? Or wear corp0rate clothes to work?
courtesy is a personal choice it's not a requirement even at work with wihite people regardless if they are my boss or not.
in nigeria, yes! they get offended when people don't follow their idea/mentality of respect or respect your elder, in white people's country it isn't like that as long as you don't disrespect your boss or manager as required by the company's rules and regulations, anything else done aside from that is as i said, your personal ways of respect

Knocking on the door isn't the same as giving things out with a left hand or right hand, so it's not courtesy infact, in some cases knocking before you enter are requirments which is why in some offices it's written boldly at the doors "knock before you enter" it is ussually for security reasons also not courtesy. in the case of coporately to work it also comes down to company's rules/ regulations or requirements not courtesy, courtesy is a choice, hence i cannot chose to turn up at work nakid, shirtless or bare footed, company wouldn't accept it. cheesy

Right or left hand makes no difference!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 15, 2020
DICKstractor:

He's saying shit. What nonsense courtesy?. The same white man will write a cheque for him, hand it over to him with left hand and he'll be expected to collect with his left
Absolutely, it is ridiculously stupid. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) / How Do U Greet Good Morning In Ur Language / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.