Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? (3297 Views)

Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? / 15 Ultra Practical Skills That Can Make You A Brilliant Public Speaker / Boost Your Career: 5 Tips To Becoming A Good Public Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by skillzman: 9:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
I need some tips to be able to speak effectively in the public. Please help!
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by obowunmi(m): 10:30pm On Feb 04, 2011
start with breathing exercises. smiley

practice your public speech
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Mayflowa(m): 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2011
A poise school serminar and training will do you good
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 05, 2011
Lay ur hand on the book,PUBLIC SPEAKING ND SELF CONFIDENCE by william darkale.i've tried it nd it work for me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by PowerIdeas(m): 10:46am On Mar 29, 2011
Hi there!

Your question is abit confusing, so to clarify I'll ask this:

Do you want to be good at speaking to groups of people or are you interested in earning money as a result of making presentations to various groups of people?

If your preference is to just get good at speaking and making presentations to groups of people them here's what you need to do:

1. Get a few books on presentation skills
2. Read them and just go out and speak to as many groups as you can while applying what you learn from the books.
3. Get a coach, some to work with in refining your skills

If on the other hand you are interested in building a career out of public speaking, that's a whole other ball game, but to get you started here's an article on How to Think like a highly paid expert. Go to this blog to find it: www.victorbassey.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by KOOLMOED: 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2011
several things have to come into play.

1.make sure u maintain an eye contact.if u are addressing a group,you must make sure that u focus on each of them one after the other.don't look at any body's fore head so that they don't look embarrassed.you don't have to rush your speech.be slow to an extent so as to maintain effective communication.the eye contact will enable you to know when the audience disapprove or approve your speech.you then adjust if any of these happened.don't wear a tight face.be bright in appearance.rehearse your topic before going to the podium.also take cognisance of the calibre of people that will attend such programme.this will help you in choice of words.take care
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by PowerIdeas(m): 2:41pm On Apr 05, 2011
You might find this useful, I just put up a special report at www.victorbassey.com, it's about how you can make a difference as well as a fortune sharing your knowledge and expertise, check it out.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by obowunmi(m): 5:37pm On Mar 03, 2012
Actually, you don't need powerpoint when presenting. You just need a compelling product.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Jenpoet(f): 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2012
Start with practising in front of the mirror. Read out to yourself. Say, a page everyday-- it helps. then checkout Toastmasters! A great group to join! They have branches all over Nigeria-- look for one in your area.
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by erne: 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:
Call: 08139458588
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by erne: 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education

PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by erne: 5:02pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education

PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by stephencoach(f): 11:14am On Feb 18, 2019
skillzman:
I need some tips to be able to speak effectively in the public. Please help!

Becoming a good public speaker takes time and some efforts. First you need to begin to learn about public speaking and presentation. You can do that online. The hardest part is the part of practicing the art and getting professional feedback so you can become very good at it.

I would recommend you get a speech coach like Stephen Michael (DrMiki).

His academy provides both training, support and platform for upcoming speakers to learn and grow. And he has trained a lot of other people too. I read his book last year on how to overcome fear and build self confidence. You can download the e-book here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JqVMhnqPDjbRbMErU0KL1mJT8EY6rouY. Or visit www.smanigeria.com for more.

Thanks
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Kayceebae: 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2019
I've heard a lot about DrMiki's training and I've attended his seminars right from when I was in Anambra State. The man is too good with what he does. He's a practical example of a good speaker -- very knowledgeable, funny and communicates in simple English. I also attended his program here in Lagos in 2018 -- the seminar is titled "wow" He and his friend Peter Kajovo hosted the seminar. It was so life changing for me and my friend.

I would recommend DrMiki any time any day. He looks young (maybe even cute lol) but he sure knows how to take you by the hand and show you the way often in a very funny way.

Just Google his name and you'll find his contacts.

-- Kaycee

Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Kayceebae: 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2019
obowunmi:
start with breathing exercises. smiley

practice your public speech

I don't see how this helps anyone with serious issue.

My own case was fright. Any time I was asked to stand up and speak before a small group my heart would start turninoiniown. Untill I met DrMiki and discussed with him in person. He gave me some tips and asked me to enroll into his program. Some of the tips I can remember is:

-- The battle is in your mind: if you can work on your psychology about people and the events of your life; if you can put them in a better perspective, you will be able to overcome fear. Since I learned that I have always learned to control the way I think about the events or the people in the event. There's no reason to be scared. They love me. They want to listen to me. They won't bite me. And I see my fears as an excitement not a problem. etc etc

To learn more: visit www.stephenmichael.com.ng or call DrMiki.

-- Kaycee
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by Yemisiadeslay: 2:35pm On Mar 11, 2020
there are numerous tips you can use to speak effectively but i would advise you train yourself under the tutulage of a public speaker, Dr Miki is your go-to, he owns and run fordax public speaking academy. to chat with his, send him a message by clicking this link https:///2347035957197
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by obinneka2020: 3:36pm On Mar 11, 2020
Re: How Can I Be A Good Public Speaker? by fatokunbolu: 1:00pm On Jan 16, 2022
You can become a good public speaker through having a good trainer, making sure you seize every opportunity to make yourself better or simply belonging to a public speaking community and you just might become good enough as public speaker that you'll want to build a career out of it.

You could join a fast growing public speaking community based in Nigeria called SPS (Society of Public Speakers). They organize the SPS Speaker Conference, and big events for speakers to talk, which also would be of help to you. Message ODU'ola, He's a public speaking coach and Head of SPS.

(1) (Reply)

What Follows After Interview At Mutual Benefit Assurance Plc. / Shoprite Staff Wages / Cover Letter Or Motivation Letter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.