Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,207 members, 7,807,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo (40030 Views)

Odion Ighalo Lifting Up Chinese FA Cup Trophy With Shanghai Shenhua / Shanghai Greenland Shenhua: Ighalo Unveiled As No. 9 For Chinese Football Club / Odion Ighalo Joins Shanghai Shenhua FC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Samakus(m): 7:10am On Jul 16, 2020
The 35-year-old striker rejoins the Chinese Super League outfit on a free transfer in the wake of his compatriot’s loan deal extension at Old Trafford

Shanghai Shenhua have completed the signing of former Inter Milan and Nigeria forward Obafemi Martins, who returns for a second stint after playing for the Chinese Super League side between 2016 and 2018, Goal understands.

The 35-year-old forward rejoins the team as a replacement for compatriot Odion Ighalo, whose loan deal at Manchester United has been extended until 2021.

On Wednesday, Martins shared a video of himself on Instagram, wearing Shenhua kit with the rest of the squad, and a source close to the player has confirmed to Goal that he has been re-signed in a playing capacity.

Having left Seattle Sounders in 2015, Martins scored 32 goals in 59 games across all competitions for the Chinese heavyweights, while playing a key role in the Hongkou Football Stadium giants’ Chinese FA Cup success in 2017.
However, he left the Shanghai-based team in 2018 after suffering a hamstring injury, and has been without a club ever since.

Ighalo was loaned to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Red Devils on a temporary loan deal on the final day of the January transfer window as a replacement for injured Marcus Rashford.

Having impressed in his eight appearances before lockdown and the subsequent postponement of football - scoring four goals in three starts - the club extended his loan until January 2021.

Martins’ return will strengthen Choi Kang-hee men’s attack ahead of the resumption of the Chinese Super League.

The former Super Eagles striker recently told Goal that retirement was not on his agenda despite being without a club since leaving Shanghai in 2018.

“After my career-threatening injury in China, many people advised me to quit, but I told myself I still have a lot to offer the beautiful game,” he told Goal. “Football is my life; I eat, drink and sleep football so I don’t see any reason to call time on something that makes me happy.

“I’m 34, but I feel like a teenager, and with this sensation, I can still play for any big team across the world. I’m thankful for what I have achieved in football but I thirst for more.

“That desire is still there, the desire to score more goals and win more titles. For my next move, I have got offers from the United States, China and Saudi Arabia but I will only move when I see the right bargain.”

After featuring for Reggiana and Inter Milan in Italy, Martins joined Newcastle United in 2006 and helped them win the Intertoto Cup in the same season.

He also represented Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan, Birmingham City and Levante before moving to Seattle Sounders in 2016.

In international football, Martins scored on his Nigeria debut in May 2004, against the Republic of Ireland, and ended his Super Eagles career with 18 goals from 42 appearances.

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/shanghai-shenhua-sign-martins-as-ighalo-replacement/5bbdpr9gl10s1n8zblubbd195

30 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by popsy2(m): 7:17am On Jul 16, 2020
Ok

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by pyyxxaro: 7:32am On Jul 16, 2020
Obafemi still de play ball tongue

248 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by paulolee(m): 8:14am On Jul 16, 2020
same obagoal of Newcastle dt i know back then still 35??
martins that i saw in newcastle around 2006 is the same age with cr7??
i swear if cr7 and messi are Africans, both for still be under 20..
personally i gat big respect for obagaol because he gat a big heart and gives freely, i have met him once chilling with guys around lekki and he really surprised me..
congrats man...

329 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by flackoFlint(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
I think say na southampton obafemi, I Don dey swear for am

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by classicfrank4u(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Y

1 Like

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by SmartProf(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Obagoal don't listen to those who will ask you to retire o, Buffon is still also playing till date. Just keep signing any and every contract as long as the exchange rate makes sense. Afterall you didn't force the club scouts to locate you. You are a black man and you have strength, just keep being fit and playing. Don't lock down at all. Best wishes.

155 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by EyezofGod120: 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Oba goal

1 Like

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Goldenkrezi: 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
This guy neva hang boot?

13 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by fidelmarshal199: 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
An old average player replacing an average player. Obagoal wants to collect his retirement fee from Shanghai. I wish him well though

30 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Itisallright: 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Keep making your money bro, enjoy your time.... best of luck

10 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Lincoln275(m): 1:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
He go collect pension

4 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by bolaayenimo: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
this grandpa still dey ball?

2 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Zico5(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Obafemi Martins, 35? Hmmmmmmmm, we lie too much for Africa.

11 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by lomprico(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
paulolee:
same obagoal of Newcastle dt i know back then still 35??
martins that i saw in newcastle around 2006 is the same age with cr7??
i swear if cr7 and messi are Africans, both for still be under 20..

obafemi is 41

18 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by olumzzz(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Better awoof
Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Petersamuel8(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Men that guy still they player football? It's been a long time since I hear of him. Wrong replacement
Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by yesloaded: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
pyyxxaro:
Obafemi still de play ball tongue
I dey wonder too

1 Like

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
OBAGOAL still de ball?I wonder if The guy fit still run at this age sef.

4 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by cana882(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Obagoal is not yet a coach??

4 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by bolaji3071(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Lol Obagoal be 35yrs ke. Man is almost 45 self.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by babamadiba(m): 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Oba goal! One of best the business men in the game. Always cashing out at any slightest opportunity.

12 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Derryboy: 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
: grin
Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by ElvisPresley(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Obafemi Martins aka Weapon of mass destruction.

4 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by AyDripper1(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Make e dey rake in money remain
Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by frubben(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Oba goal himself. How do dey even cope self .

Commentary for china go sweet

7 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by Nicklaus619(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nice one, I never knew this nigga still dey ball, chop money my guy, Nah Chinese football language be that cool

1 Like

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by affable4(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Hmmmm. I don't think I understand this Chinko people. Buying Chinese products for thrice the price of original

2 Likes

Re: Shanghai Shenhua Sign Obafemi Martins To Replace Manchester United Loanee Ighalo by ninocia18(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
cool.. Obagoal that year for Inter Milan. Chai, my body count on Ps2 that year.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles Squad For Atletico Madrid Friendly Announced [see Full List] / Edwin Van DER Sar: Manchester United's Legendary Goalkeeper In ICU / Ronnie Brunswijk: Vice President Of Suriname Plays For Their National Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.