Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

What Is Computational Photography - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Is Computational Photography (579 Views)

How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. / How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. / Smartphone Photography: Rate These 10 Photos From The TECNO Phantom 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 10:27am On Jul 17, 2020
COMPUTATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY

Every camera has two basic operational parts, the hardware and the software (or firmware). When the camera has captured light and the pixels has transduced (converted) it to electrical signals, the demosaicing algorithm that carries out the colour interpolation and produces the RAW image is a form of software. The process of converting RAW images to Jpeg photos is also carried out by software. Software is very important in smartphone cameras these days as a bad software could ruin a great camera.

Most smartphones these days come with multi lens systems in order to achieve some types of DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex) camera photographic effects. A lot of cameras have depth sensors for portrait photography (bokeh shots), telephoto cameras (for high resolution or hi res zoom), ultrawide sensors (for wider angle shots) etc. These have made a lot of people take stunning photographs that would give professional photographers a run for their money.

One company decided to buck the trend and instead of going with a multi lens system decide to use only one lens and yet achieved almost perfect portrait shots, hi res zoom and night sight without a dedicated night sensor. How did they manage to achieve these without the extra lenses? Well, enter Computational Photography.

Computational photography refers the process of digital image capture and processing techniques that uses digital computation instead of optical processes. This simply means that the device uses software to achieve different types of photography instead of using hardware (e.g. extra lenses).

Computational photography uses machine learning and Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithms to adjust certain specifics like HDR (high dynamic range), ISO (light sensitivity), Shutter speed and focus so that even as an amateur, you can simply point, shoot and achieve a great photo.

Google (Google camera or Gcam) and Apple (Deep fusion) are the two main leaders in the field of computational photography although Google is the leader at this point. Until recently, it used only one camera to achieve different types of stunning photographs. It simply uses software to achieve these effects and sometimes “fakes” them if need be.

Google’s camera software has been so successful that it is the most sought after camera port today. It has modded and ported both officially and unofficially to a lot of phones that have the hardware to support it. It instantly upgrades the performance of your native camera by a country mile especially if you use a midrange device. It is a must have of all smartphone photography enthusiasts.

Read the full article here:
https://inquisitiveuniverse./2020/07/17/lets-talk-cameras-4/

Pic 1 and Pic 2: the Google pixel 3 only has 1 camera but it can shoot in a lot of modes that the Redmi Note 8 with four cameras can shoot in.

Pic 3: A BSG GCam port on Redmi Note 7

Pic 4: Shot on Redmi Note 7 with GCam

6 Likes

Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 10:32am On Jul 17, 2020
@Effulgent

This is the last article in the camera series.

You should click the link to see the full article.

There's OIS in it too.

Maybe I'll do some hardware comparison and then try to answer the questions of which is more important between SENSOR AND PIXEL SIZES Vs MEGAPIXEL COUNT.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Computational Photography by Holyfield1(m): 10:37am On Jul 17, 2020
I love the way you make your posts so easy and precise that people with little or no knowledge of smartphones easily understand

Keep it up bro... You're doing a great job

Lemme quickly go get my Redmi note 8 and install Gcam jooor cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What Is Computational Photography by Urchman27(m): 11:03am On Jul 17, 2020
Shot with my itel p33 grin

5 Likes

Re: What Is Computational Photography by skywalker240(m): 11:28am On Jul 17, 2020
Urchman27:
Transsion fans are coming for you grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Computational Photography by Effulgent(m): 11:47am On Jul 17, 2020
atheistandproud:
@Effulgent

There's OIS in it too.

Maybe I'll do some hardware comparison and then try to answer the questions of which is more important between SENSOR AND PIXEL SIZES Vs MEGAPIXEL COUNT.

Cheers.

Let me grab my pop corn again cheesy
Re: What Is Computational Photography by Effulgent(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
atheistandproud:
@Effulgent

There's OIS in it too.

Cheers.

Boss, I'm still confused on something o

it's the 1080p at 30fps on video shooting , I don't quite understand it

can you just brief me here so I can go Make more personal research ?
Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2020
Effulgent:

Boss, I'm still confused on something o

it's the 1080p at 30fps on video shooting , I don't quite understand it

can you just brief me here so I can go Make more personal research ?

1. Resolution

This is how clear or sharp an image is. The higher the number, the better the resolution.

We have 240P, 480P (SD), 720P (HD), 1080P (FHD), 1440P (QHD), 2K, 4K. These are all degrees of resolutions. 240P is the worst, while 4K is the best.

2. FPS

Frames per second. Frame rate is the frequency at which consecutive images called frames appear on a display. This is the speed at which an image appears on a screen and then disappears for another image to enter and replace it.

So 30fps at 1080p means that the camera can get or record 30 frames per second on the screen at a resolution of 1080P.
Re: What Is Computational Photography by Effulgent(m): 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2020
atheistandproud:

1. Resolution

This is how clear or sharp an image is. The higher the number, the better the resolution.

We have 240P, 480P (SD), 720P (HD), 1080P (FHD), 1440P (QHD), 2K, 4K. These are all degrees of resolutions. 240P is the worst, while 4K is the best.

2. FPS

Frames per second. Frame rate is the frequency at which consecutive images called frames appear on a display. This is the speed at which an image appears on a screen and then disappears for another image to enter and replace it.

So 30fps at 1080p means that the camera can get or record 40 frames per second on the screen at a resolution of 1080P.

Alright, now I get
Re: What Is Computational Photography by drjprince: 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2020
Atheistandproud good job man
Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2020
drjprince:
Atheistandproud good job man

For the culture brah.

Thanks a lot.
Re: What Is Computational Photography by KrazyDave16(m): 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2020
Simple and precise, from the beginning to the end. Await your next blog entry.
Re: What Is Computational Photography by Chuksteric(m): 6:52pm On Jul 17, 2020
Very beautiful piece .. I love that Google is showing the world that software is as important as hardware.. The pixel 5 is coming with sd765G ... Whilst having flagship hardware may be important, the actual usage of the phones should be much more important
Re: What Is Computational Photography by Jaculze(m): 7:11pm On Jul 17, 2020
New one I've learnt today. Thanks Op.

Has anybody heard if this Airtel code where one can buy airtime and data with just one code? I don't know if everybody is eligible but it worked for me though

Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 10:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
Urchman27:

Absolutely stunning
Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 10:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
KrazyDave16:
Simple and precise, from the beginning to the end. Await your next blog entry.

Thank you
Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 10:05pm On Jul 17, 2020
Chuksteric:
Very beautiful piece .. I love that Google is showing the world that software is as important as hardware.. The pixel 5 is coming with sd765G ... Whilst having flagship hardware may be important, the actual usage of the phones should be much more important

I completely agree.

Have you heard of the One Plus Nord?

It's probably going to use a 765G as well.

But Google is still the king of Smartphone photography in terms of software. Huawei is the lord of hardware.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Computational Photography by Osasnidas(m): 6:29am On Jul 18, 2020
Another enlightening piece

Everywhere good

1 Like

Re: What Is Computational Photography by atheistandproud(m): 9:04pm On Jul 18, 2020
Osasnidas:
Another enlightening piece

Everywhere good

Thanks boss

(1) (Reply)

How Shop & Ship From All UK & USA Online Stores To Nigeria-registration Is FREE / Cheap Or Not? (128GB Rom, 6GB Ram, 4000mah Battery, 4GLTE , MTK Octa Core)#66k / Save Your Money And Wait For This Upcoming Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.