Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days (35447 Views)

Beware Of Parody Twitter (X) Handles - Akpabio / Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account / FFK Mistakes Parody Fayemi Accout, Attacks Fayemi Based On Fake Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by olusma23(m): 5:54pm On Jul 17, 2020
If you don't have connection, if your parents is not rich and you yourself is poor, be careful with what you post on SM.

This guy do change his profile name at will just to gain more followers on Twitter. Many that did not know the difference between verified and unverified account will follow him thinking they are following GEJ. Some don't cross check username or profile details b4 clicking on follow button.

Twitter may allow parody account, but the charge against him (impersonation) is not allowed in Nigeria.

I hope many will learn from this and his bail is perfected on time.

3 Likes

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 5:55pm On Jul 17, 2020
2mercy:

https://punchng.com/student-detained-54-days-for-creating-parody-twitter-account-of-jonathan/

Please, who gave the police the right to search someone's call log over something that is not an offence?

What is criminal about creating a parody account?

Anyway, I don't blame the police. I blame the idiotic telecommunication company that released the call log.

After this, the student should sue all of their asses, including GEJ's own.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Jaqenhghar: 5:56pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:
The suspect is not so bright.
You wanted to insult a politician and you decided to impersonate your target.

This opinion is from a charge and bail lawyer, no wonder he couldn't secure his client release.
Nigeria law forbids impersonation even online regardless of the purpose of the impersonation.

But the bail is too high for the poor boy who only wanted some attention.
His lawyer should reapply for bail adjustment.
Is that impersonation? Abeg make una dey read dictonary dey sabi the meaning of words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Jaqenhghar: 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2020
OUTLAWwizard:
Fraud is the daughter of greed. Creating a parody account of a former president. Whatever his intentions were, it's definitely gonna end up fraudulent.
If having a parody is fraud then I guess people like MC Tagwaye should be arrested. Even those guys who imitate Donald Trump on SNL should all be in jail. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2020
olusma23:
If you don't have connection, if your parents is not rich and you yourself is poor, be careful with what you post on SM.

This guy do change his profile name at will just to gain more followers on Twitter. Many that did not know the difference between verified and unverified account will follow him thinking they are following GEJ. Some don't cross check username or profile details b4 clicking on follow button.

Twitter may allow parody account, but the charge against him (impersonation) is not allowed in Nigeria.

I hope many will learn from this and his bail is perfected on time.

Parody account is not the same as impersonation.

With parody account, there is a disclaimer. But with impersonation, you are claiming to be that person.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
STUPID IDIOT!!!
FOOLISH AFONJA GOAT!!!
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by obailala(m): 6:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
sapientia:
Before I clicked this

I was blaming the boy why he did not state it was a parody account

lo and behold, he did

Thats why I have been scared yesterday when High Court said FRSC can impound any car

I know our security agencies and over zealousness

Is Jonathan aware and did he ask for the arrest?

You clearly do not know what a parody account is

You dont
Yeah of course the excuse it that he put up a statement hidden at the bottom indicating it was parody, but how many people really get to see that?

Fake accounts like this cause a lot of confusion online. I've seen several people creating fake parody accounts for different agencies in Nigeria including the Army, DSS and police. Basic rule if you must make a parody account is to make it very obvious, e.g start by spelling the name visibly different.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
USELESS IDIOTIC STUPID AFONJAITUS
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
GOATISH SMELLY AFONJA!
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Xisnin(m): 6:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
seunmsg:

Nonsense. Do you know the numbers of Buhari and Donald Trump parody accounts that exist on twitter? If a twitter account was correctly labeled a parody, how is that impersonation?

Jonathan is simply being lawless here and we should not shy away from calling him out. He should free the young man and stop trying to stifle freedom of expression.
I don't believe you don't know the meaning of impersonation.
You probably took the "free speech" position because of the individuals involved.
Calling an account a "parody" only protects your social accounts from being banned by the admin.
It doesn't protect you from legal consequences.

Impersonation is not freedom of expression. It is a criminal act according to Nigeria's Cybercrime act.
The boy is free to insult anyone he likes under his own identity.

And another point, just because someone gets away with a crime doesn't mean you will.
The moral of the story is not to use a criminal act to attack your victim.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Xisnin(m): 6:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
lexy2014:

With all d explanation given in d article about d meaning of a parody account and d deliberate attempt by d owner of d account to state his intentions on his profile, u are still saying he impersonated.
There is a difference between the position of the law and a social media policy.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Xisnin(m): 6:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Is that impersonation? Abeg make una dey read dictonary dey sabi the meaning of words.
Yes, it is impersonation and it is a criminal act.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by TheAdvocate(m): 6:04pm On Jul 17, 2020
sapientia:
Before I clicked this

lo and behold, he did

Thats why I have been scared yesterday when High Court said FRSC can impound any car

You dont

Not under Nigerian law. I challenge you to quote the relevant Nigerian law in favour of the fact that one can operate a parody account in the name of someone and using the person's photograph.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by pquaver(m): 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2020
AgainstIslam:
So many ignoramuses who don't know what parody account is, commenting above.
Smh.

Brother they know.. It Jonathan their God na they must lick ass because he is from ijaw that has the oil they are eyeing.. It their hypocrisy imagine say na Buhari.. Just look at how the thread is empty of Freedom fighters you always see on Nairaland..were are they? And they make it sound like they care.. Just wait today they are against Godfather in Edo. Wait till 2033 when wike will bring candidates to succeed him and see how Godfatherism will become the best thing after toast bread

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by seunmsg(m): 6:12pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:

You probably took the "free speech" position because of the individuals involved.
Calling an account a "parody" only protects your social accounts from being banned by the admin.

Impersonation is not freedom of expression. It is a criminal act according to Nigeria's Cybercrime act.

And another point, just because someone gets away with a crime doesn't mean you will.

I can bet you missed the “Not GEJ” clearly written on the profile. How’s “Not GEJ” an impersonation if GEJ?

See, the court will decide ilthus matter eventually but I stand 100% with the young man that Jonathan is trying to harass and humiliate using his influence as a former president.

2 Likes

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Freebills12: 6:14pm On Jul 17, 2020
[color=#000099][/color]
sapientia:
Before I clicked this

lo and behold, he did

You dont

There are limits to every joke, he should have use Buhari. He even insulted the wife. Though am not in support of his detention. Social media policy is different from societal law.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2020
Antibot5:
There are many parody accounts on Twitter... Boldly written Parody

What's the meaning of "Not Gej" Shea na status update abi wetin

All Twitter mentioned was that you put disclaimers, even if it is "Not this person or that person".

It doesn't necessarily have to be the word parody

As you can see, his @handle is one evidence that he has separated his identity from the identity of the person he is parodying.

That is all Twitter asks for.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by cullcash: 6:24pm On Jul 17, 2020
Yeah We're @ it Again Me And My Veterinary Doctor Want to assist you Guys in achieving��your goal of starting up a successful poultry farm Business On a Step By Step Level without a loan/subsidy or consultant. No debt. - if you will

No:08131006086
WhatsApp
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:29pm On Jul 17, 2020
TheAdvocate:

Not under Nigerian law. I challenge you to quote the relevant Nigerian law in favour of the fact that one can operate a parody account in the name of someone and using the person's photograph.

If it is not in the law, then how can they prove that the boy has committed a crime when the policy of the platform (Twitter) he was using states that parody, if followed according to certain guidelines, is not impersonation.

Twitter asks that a parody account meets certain requirements.

One of which is a bio that states that the account does not belong to the account of the person he is parodying.

Then the boy also used a different @handle.

Which means that he did not set out to cleverly drive traffic to his profile.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Xisnin(m): 6:31pm On Jul 17, 2020
seunmsg:

I can bet you missed the “Not GEJ” clearly written on the profile. How’s “Not GEJ” an impersonation if GEJ?
I clearly stated that a parody account is not a defense against Cybercrime law.
Nigerian law does not recognize "not GEJ".
You are simply not allowed to impersonate.

See, the court will decide ilthus matter eventually but I stand 100% with the young man that Jonathan is trying to harass and humiliate using his influence as a former president.
It is better for the boy's case not to be decided by the court as his prospect is pretty dim.
If not, he is on to a long and painful trial.
I guess his lawyer understands the issue that is why he is courting public sympathy.

His precarious bail condition wasn't for free speech but impersonation.
The case is not between Jonathan and his impersonator as it would be in a civil case,
it is between the Nigerian government and the suspect.

I am totally for free speech, even the ones most people will consider taboo or dangerous.
But it is foolish to impersonate a husband in order to insult his wife unless impersonation
is legal in one's jurisdiction.

I have seen several fake Jonathan accounts on Facebook and Twitter(they didn't even indicate parody)
and most are still operating. Of course, they are impersonating but they are smart enough to not draw
unnecessary attention.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:37pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:

I clearly stated that a parody account is not a defense against Cybercrime law.
Nigerian law does not recognize "not GEJ".
You are simply not allowed to impersonate.

It is better for the boy's case not to be decided by the court as his prospect is pretty dim.
If not, he is on to a long and painful trial.
I guess his lawyer understands the issue that is why he is courting public sympathy.

His precarious bail condition wasn't for free speech but impersonation.
The case is not between Jonathan and his impersonator as it would be in a civil case,
it is between the Nigerian government and the suspect.

I am totally for free speech, even the ones most people will consider taboo or dangerous.
But it is foolish to impersonate a husband in order to insult his wife unless impersonation
is legal in one's jurisdiction.

I have seen several fake Jonathan accounts on Facebook and Twitter(they didn't even indicate parody)
and most are still operating. Of course, they are impersonating but they are smart enough to not draw
unnecessary attention.

First of all, what is impersonation? Because, if you don't understand that word, you are never going to make any sense on this thread.

Second, stop posting until you understand what constitutes impersonation.

1 Like

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by OlujobaSamuel: 6:45pm On Jul 17, 2020
FrLukas:
Their hero of democracy indeed.

Only intelligent people know that Jonathan and Buhari rank the same on human rights abuse.

Don't argue with me, argue with your keypad.
Your head no go kpeme. I won't say they are corrupt because only a smart person can be successfully corrupt, the two are so quick to abuse the law and also daft.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by kinibigdeal(m): 6:46pm On Jul 17, 2020
sapientia:
Before I clicked this

lo and behold, he did

You dont

That was not why he was arrested. He used that account to blackmail GEJ. Maybe someone has delayed the tweet. He was mocking GEJ wife using that account
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by frainc(m): 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2020
Slymonster:
Clearly stated on the profile that it's a parody account na.
go back up and reread it
because he put "not GEJ? is that what you call "clearly stated"?
that someone is gentle does not mean he's stupid
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Farki: 6:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:

I read the law, first he made it known that he isn't Goodluck, anyone who thought he was is either stupid or illiterate.

He used it for jokes instead of fraud.

Jonathan and/or his aide are only doing this because they have thin skin.

The only real issue with the account is if he broke subsection C or not.

Anyways the fact that they kept him for this long really shows where the priorities of the police lie.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by jddempire(m): 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2020
The boy is stupid to create parody account of GEJ and used it to attack the wife. That was so wrong.

Many parody accounts on Twitter are used as a fan page for the person they impersonate and not used to attack the person's family.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2020
77Craze:
Akoba Adaba

This is not akoba adaba it's firu fan na
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by jddempire(m): 7:14pm On Jul 17, 2020
Goodvibes007:

It can be released to law enforcement if a crime was committed, but I don't see how this boy has committed any crime.

GeJ only got mad because the boy was making fun of his wife which itself is not a crime.
If the account had been praising GEJ, he would not have petitioned the IG.

He is now using the police to harass the poor boy.

So for your mind now you're making sense!
if someday create a parody account with your name and use it to insult your wife and your family what would you do ?

abeg forget that thing, that boy is stupid, let him learn his lesson. He got the attention he needed.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by ayoplenty: 7:16pm On Jul 17, 2020
You are very correct, everything is politics in Nigeria �
IpobAntidote:
Really?

Just watch how some Goatluck slaves will blame the arrested student instead of their Demi God Jona-daft. But if the case where to be about Buhari, that's when they will remember rule of law, dictatorship, Fulani herdsmen and all other narratives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by jaxxy(m): 7:36pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:
The suspect is not so bright.
You wanted to insult a politician and you decided to impersonate your target.

This opinion is from a charge and bail lawyer, no wonder he couldn't secure his client release.
Nigeria law forbids impersonation even online regardless of the purpose of the impersonation.

But the bail is too high for the poor boy who only wanted some attention.
His lawyer should reapply for bail adjustment.

If he state on the profile that’s it’s a parody account then it’s not impersonation. Fans put up parody accounts. And if he didn’t use it to commit a crime he shud be freed.

Modified: that boy is very stupid. Why shud u open a parody account to express views divergent of the views of the person u made the parody for? That’s equals slander and abuse of the real purpose of such account.

He definitely has a case to answer.
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Corroro: 7:55pm On Jul 17, 2020
What was he thinking
Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by Jaqenhghar: 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2020
Xisnin:

Yes, it is impersonation and it is a criminal act.
That's why you people should travel more, read more, watch things that will buold you up, be more exposed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki / Atiku Abubakar's Daughter Marries Aminu Sani Bello, As He Shares Her Photo / Wike Places N200 Million Bounty On Perpetrators Of New Year Day Killing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.