Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (73459 Views)

Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by maxsiollun: 3:04am On Feb 06, 2011

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 3:28am On Feb 06, 2011
So close to the devil. Thats why he was brutally killed. angry

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:42am On Feb 06, 2011
Wow, great videos Max. Thanks for posting these.

Some questions, though.

1. Why, in your view, did Ironsi abolish the regions and centralize all government?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-595963.0.html

2. Was the Sardauna or NNDP in fact planning to crush opposition in the West militarily and was the officer that was murdered in the hotel referenced in the first video Largema? Was he sent with troops to crush protesters or was that a rumor?

3. Was Festus Okotie-Eboh as corrupt as he is made out to be (as in that first video, where they said he raised taxes on imports of shoes to help his own shoe business)? I read elsewhere that he was one of the richest men in Nigeria (worth 800,000 pounds) before government, i.e. that he made his fortune legitimately, but I don't know how true that is either.

4. In that second video, how do they know the people aren't celebrating only that Awolowo and Enahoro were released rather than the coup?

5. Where is the footage of Nzeogwu?

Is there supposed to be sound on the 2nd and 3rd videos?

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:44am On Feb 06, 2011
Mobinga:

So close to the devil. Thats why he was brutally killed. angry

Who?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 3:45am On Feb 06, 2011
Ironsi
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:47am On Feb 06, 2011
Who's the devil?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by nduchucks: 4:00am On Feb 06, 2011
Cool video. Ironsi appeared to be on some medication during the news conference, he kept moving in a weird manner before answering questions. I did not see the lizard that he used to carry arround. He kind of looks like Jesse Jackson in that video. cheesy

The journalists interviewed accused the Prime Minister of certain inaction, and he used the inaction to justify the coup. Frankly, GEJ is guilty of the same kind inaction that the journalist was complaining about. na wa o.

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 4:01am On Feb 06, 2011
Northerners cool
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:04am On Feb 06, 2011
Mobinga:

Northerners cool

Don't know about that.

If he had made his administration just a caretaker administration, he probably wouldn't have been killed.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by nduchucks: 4:05am On Feb 06, 2011
Mobinga:

Northerners cool

Okwute Palestinians piafuka gi isi, Ewu Jew.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 4:36am On Feb 06, 2011

he was destined to be killed. nothing could have saved an igbo man not in igboland in 66
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by realmen: 7:51am On Feb 06, 2011
Nawao!
So, corruption is as old as the birth of the nation called nigeria.
can this be stopped and when?
we pray God save Nigeria from the endemic of corruption.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by KnowAll(m): 8:18am On Feb 06, 2011
Seeing Ironsi in that state of mind one can honestly deduce from the clip, a man clearly  afraid from his own shadow. A man moving his head like someone unsure of what next to do or what else to say. I would not begrudge him thus, he found himself in an un-charted territory,  that man is a classical dead man walking.

A man who knows and is visibly convinced that this unfamiliar road to perdition could only end in a melee with the grim ripper.  His instincts,  invariably clearly displayed and accurate for the whole world to see,  buoyed his enemy to strike an already drowning man.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by maxsiollun: 8:32am On Feb 06, 2011
To answer some of the questions:

1) Let's not pretend that Ironsi's "unification decree" is any different from what other govts did. Every head of state from Murtala onwards operated govt in a fashion FAR more unitary than anything Ironsi did.

2) Ironsi was clearly (a) afraid for his life (b) not up to the job of running the country. The deliberate and circumspect manner in which he answered questions at that press conference should tell you that this was a man outside his comfort zone.

3) The Sardauna and PM were definitely planning something major to deal with the "Wild West".

4) Lt-Col Largema was actually despatched by the Sardauna to pass a message to Ironsi (about the Wild West). Ifeajuna and co prevented him from delivering the message when they shot him in his hotel when he arrived in Lagos.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Kilode1: 9:13am On Feb 06, 2011
Interesting videos, You can practically transport the interviewed journalist(Gabriel Fagbore?) to February 2011 and his comments will fit today's realities to the teeth.

I'm curious; why did the narrator specifically refer to the Northern Region as the "Mighty North" ?

And as to Ironsi, that man clearly looked uncomfortable and sounded too careful for a mastermind, dunno undecided
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by blacksta(m): 10:21am On Feb 06, 2011
I am thinking one of the biggest mistake Ironsi made was to murder Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello - he could simply have detained them under house arrest or similar , watching the video one can clearly conclude that Ironsi knew his days were numbered.

It is also sad that the NIgerian journalist interviewed was complained about issues in 1966 that are still ongoing today as write in Nigeria.  They say one can deduce the future from past. 

At this moment in time we have another Tafawa Balewa in GEJ weak, corrupt and inept , unable swim against tide to steer Nigeria from dangerous waters.

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 10:38am On Feb 06, 2011
The biggest problem for Nigeria was the lazyness of Lugard. He couldn't rake in more commanders, rather amalgamated two regions diverse in ethnicity and beliefs. Shame on the British angry

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by abadaba(m): 11:46am On Feb 06, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Okwute Palestinians piafuka gi isi, Ewu Jew.
Bingo, for once, quit being insultive.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by evilspirit: 11:56am On Feb 06, 2011
the guy's father was a sierra leonean
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by abadaba(m): 12:02pm On Feb 06, 2011
blacksta:

I am thinking one of the biggest mistake Ironsi made was to murder Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello - he could simply have detained them under house arrest or similar , watching the video one can clearly conclude that Ironsi knew his days were numbered.

It is also sad that the NIgerian journalist interviewed was complained about issues in 1966 that are still ongoing today as write in Nigeria. They say one can deduce the future from past.

At this moment in time we have another Tafawa Balewa in GEJ weak, corrupt and inept , unable swim against tide to steer Nigeria from dangerous waters.
Mr Man, stop chatting crap here. Ironsi did not murder anyone.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Afam4eva(m): 12:57pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ironsi did not look ready to take over. I think he was pressured since he was not the one that carried out the coup.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by cap28: 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2011
Max thanks for posting this.

Ive read your book Oil Politics and Violence and i found it very informative, thanks for such a brilliant and incisive work.

I just have a few observations and i'd appreciate your clarification on them:

Aguiyi Ironsi made a catastrophic mistake by surrounding himself with northern soldiers, is it that he did not understand how deep tribalistic sentiments run in nigeria?  Did he not think that the northern soldiers would try to avenge the death of the northern soldiers and politicians killed during the January 66 coup?

Was Ironsi aware that the british had deliberately given the north an unfair advantage by giving them more seats in the post independence parliament than the east and west combined?

Perhaps its unfair to expect him to have understood the intricacies of nigeria's political system when he was a career soldier , but i think ultimately if he had been aware of the backing and support that the north had from the britain he may have made decisions that might have saved his life.  My thinking is that he naively placed his life in the hands of a group of people who were secretely seething with anger at the audacity of the January 66 coup plotters, also in chapter 7 of  your book you highlight Aguiyi Ironsi's promotion exercise of May 66 where he seemed to be placating northern officers by promoting a large number of them, these were some of the beneficiaries of the promotion exercise:

Murtala Muhammed
Mohammed Shuwa
TY Danjuma
Muhammadu Buhari
Shehu Musa Yaradua
Abdullahi Shelleng
Ibrahim Bako
Muhammadu Jega
Garba Dada
Paul Tarfa

In addition Aguiyi Ironsi did not promote himself, still it appears that this wasnt enough to appease the northern soldiers because it appears that with the exception of Shuwa, Yaradua and Jega all the above mentioned were involved in his removal and the subsequent murder of a vast number of igbo officers and NCOs.  

I beleive that there was nothing he could have done to placate the northerners as they had it in for him simply because he was an igbo man and they were merely waiting for the best time to strike.
I beleive that the north took it forgranted that it was their birthright to rule nigeria and this fueled their disproportionately brutal response by way of the July 66 coup.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i cant blame Ironsi as he was not to know that the first coup would trigger such terrible reprisals by northern soldiers.  I think he just wanted to do what he felt was best to keep nigeria united - in that respect would it be correct to say that Aguiyi Ironsi paid the ultimate price for his somewhat naive belief that nigerians could unite as one people and overcome their ethnic differences?

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 3:12pm On Feb 06, 2011
maxsiollun:

1) Let's not pretend that Ironsi's "unification decree" is any different from what other govts did. Every head of state from Murtala onwards operated govt in a fashion FAR more unitary than anything Ironsi did.

You have to put the blame on the individual who actually set the precedence. I agree that other leaders adopted unitary governments but that objective was made possible by Ironsi's move. Soldiers have no business determining the type and systems of governments. That is beyond their training.

maxsiollun:

4) Lt-Col Largema was actually despatched by the Sardauna to pass a message to Ironsi (about the Wild West). Ifeajuna and co prevented him from delivering the message when they shot him in his hotel when he arrived in Lagos.

How is it possible that the plotters stopped Largema from passing the sardauna's message to Ironsi when Ironsi and Largema were both at Maimalari's party on January 14 before the coup took place. What stopped Largema from passing the message at the party. This is very evident from your book, 'oil, politics, and violence: Nigeria , - Chapter 4.

Secondly, why is it that the plotters killed the sender (Sardauna) and the messenger (Largema) but not the recipient of the message (Ironsi)? Afterall, it is the recipient who will carry out the instructions detailed in the message. I think the answer to that is very obvious.

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2011
cap28:

Max thanks for posting this.

Ive read your book Oil Politics and Violence and i found it very informative, thanks for such a brilliant and incisive work.

I just have a few observations and i'd appreciate your clarification on them:

Aguiyi Ironsi made a catastrophic mistake by surrounding himself with northern soldiers, is it that he did not understand how deep tribalistic sentiments run in nigeria?  Did he not think that the northern soldiers would try to avenge the death of the northern soldiers and politicians killed during the January 66 coup?

Was Ironsi aware that the british had deliberately given the north an unfair advantage by giving them more seats in the post independence parliament than the east and west combined?

Perhaps its unfair to expect him to have understood the intricacies of nigeria's political system when he was a career soldier , but i think ultimately if he had been aware of the backing and support that the north had from the britain he may have made decisions that might have saved his life.  My thinking is that he naively placed his life in the hands of a group of people who were secretely seething with anger at the audacity of the January 66 coup plotters, also in chapter 7 of  your book you highlight Aguiyi Ironsi's promotion exercise of May 66 where he seemed to be placating northern officers by promoting a large number of them, these were some of the beneficiaries of the promotion exercise:

Murtala Muhammed
Mohammed Shuwa
TY Danjuma
Muhammadu Buhari
Shehu Musa Yaradua
Abdullahi Shelleng
Ibrahim Bako
Muhammadu Jega
Garba Dada
Paul Tarfa

In addition Aguiyi Ironsi did not promote himself, still it appears that this wasnt enough to appease the northern soldiers because it appears that with the exception of Shuwa, Yaradua and Jega all the above mentioned were involved in his removal and the subsequent murder of a vast number of igbo officers and NCOs.  

I beleive that there was nothing he could have done to placate the northerners as they had it in for him simply because he was an igbo man and they were merely waiting for the best time to strike.
I beleive that the north took it forgranted that it was their birthright to rule nigeria and this fueled their disproportionately brutal response by way of the July 66 coup.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i cant blame Ironsi as he was not to know that the first coup would trigger such terrible reprisals by northern soldiers.  I think he just wanted to do what he felt was best to keep nigeria united - in that respect would it be correct to say that Aguiyi Ironsi paid the ultimate price for his somewhat naive belief that nigerians could unite as one people and overcome their ethnic differences?

Yaradua and Jega were part of the plot but were prevented from acting by David Ogunewe in Enugu. He managed to convince the group (Jalo, Yaradua, nd Jega ) to handover the keys of the Armory. This is covered in Max Siollun's book as well.

With regards to the comment about hindsight, Ironsi paid the price because of

1. The actions of the plotters in January
2. Inaction in dealing with the plotters
3. Placing too much trust in Northern soldiers

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by cap28: 4:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

Yaradua and Jega were part of the plot but were prevented from acting by David Ogunewe in Enugu. He managed to convince the group (Jalo, Yaradua, nd Jega ) to handover the keys of the Armory. This is covered in Max Siollun's book as well.

With regards to the comment about hindsight, Ironsi paid the price because of

1. The actions of the plotters in January
2. Inaction in dealing with the plotters
3. Placing too much trust in Northern soldiers

Katsumoto thanks, your comments are noted - ive just confirmed from the book that the above mentioned soldiers were part of the plot.

with regard to your comments 1-3:

1 Aguiyi Ironsi quashed the plot of January 66 and was even marked for elimination by these same coup plotters therefore i do not understand why he was murdered by the same soldiers who benefitted from his actions.

2 He arrested and detained every single member of the January 66 plot - and was about to have all of them tried why was that seen as inaction?

3 I agree
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by asha80(m): 4:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
blacksta:

I am thinking one of the biggest mistake Ironsi made was to murder Tafawaand Ahmadu Bello Balewa - he could simply have detained them under house arrest or similar , watching the video one can clearly conclude that Ironsi knew his days were numbered.

It is also sad that the NIgerian journalist interviewed was complained about issues in 1966 that are still ongoing today as write in Nigeria. They say one can deduce the future from past.

where did you get ur history lesson from?

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Chyz2: 5:59pm On Feb 06, 2011
evilspirit:

the guy's father was a sierra leonean

His father was not a sierra leonean. When he was adolescent, he moved in with his elder sister.She had a boyfriend/husband for Sierra Leone.The man was like a father to him. I guess you must have gotten your draw up from that mistake made in a youtube video about nigeria's history. Ironsi was pure Igbo.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Chyz2: 6:02pm On Feb 06, 2011
blacksta:

It is also sad that the NIgerian journalist interviewed was complained about issues in 1966 that are still ongoing today as write in Nigeria.  They say one can deduce the future from past. 

Maybe you skimmed the video, but it made clear that Ironsi killed no one. The coupist did not even include him.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Chyz2: 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

You have to put the blame on the individual who actually set the precedence. I agree that other leaders adopted unitary governments but that objective was made possible by Ironsi's move. Soldiers have no business determining the type and systems of governments. That is beyond their training.

How is it possible that the plotters stopped Largema from passing the sardauna's message to Ironsi when Ironsi and Largema were both at Maimalari's party on January 14 before the coup took place. What stopped Largema from passing the message at the party. This is very evident from your book, 'oil, politics, and violence: Nigeria , - Chapter 4.

Secondly, why is it that the plotters killed the sender (Sardauna) and the messenger (Largema) but not the recipient of the message (Ironsi)?
Afterall, it is the recipient who will carry out the instructions detailed in the message. I think the answer to that is very obvious.

I think you're trying to keep to your "Igbo coup" nonsense too strongly. You were already given facts the other day, and flugged like you stole something. Now, there is a video which took place around that time of the events further proving your theory to be wrong,yet you can't accept it or defeat. Your continuous bias is insulting, you need to stop and get a life.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2011
Chyz*:

I think you're trying to keep to your "Igbo coup" nonsense too strongly. You were already given facts the other day, and flugged like you stole something. Now, there is a video which took place around that time of the events further proving your theory to be wrong,yet you can't accept it or defeat. Your continuous bias is insulting, you need to stop and get a life.

What facts was I given? I was given an opinion to counter obvious facts.

Secondly, what is in the video that proves my POINT OF VIEW to be wrong? Please elucidate further? You are fond of barking up the wrong tree. If you require a response from me, then try to be civil and mature. I don't like debating with men who are too emotional and act like they are in their periods.

For the record, I am not here to convince those who are unintelligent enough to analsye issues dispassionately, I am here to learn and to debate. I will concede if someone has a stronger argument.

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by asha80(m): 9:19pm On Feb 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

How is it possible that the plotters stopped Largema from passing the sardauna's message to Ironsi when Ironsi and Largema were both at Maimalari's party on January 14 before the coup took place. What stopped Largema from passing the message at the party. This is very evident from your book, 'oil, politics, and violence: Nigeria ,  - Chapter 4.

Secondly, why is it that the plotters killed the sender (Sardauna) and the messenger (Largema) but not the recipient of the message (Ironsi)? Afterall, it is the recipient who will carry out the instructions detailed in the message. I think the answer to that is very obvious.

maxsiollun:

2) Ironsi was clearly (a) afraid for his life (b) not up to the job of running the country. The deliberate and circumspect manner in which he answered questions at that press conference should tell you that this was a man outside his comfort zone.

3) The Sardauna and PM were definitely planning something major to deal with the "Wild West".

4) Lt-Col Largema was actually despatched by the Sardauna to pass a message to Ironsi (about the Wild West). Ifeajuna and co[b] prevented him from delivering the message when they shot him in his hotel when he arrived in Lagos.[/b]

katsumoto try not to be funny.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Chyz2: 9:21pm On Feb 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

What facts was I given? I was given an opinion to counter obvious facts.

Secondly, what is in the video that proves my POINT OF VIEW to be wrong? Please elucidate further? You are fond of barking up the wrong tree. If you require a response from me, then try to be civil and mature. I don't like debating with men who are too emotional and act like they are in their periods.

For the record, I am not here to convince those who are unintelligent enough to analsye issues dispassionately, I am here to learn and to debate. I will concede if someone has a stronger argument.

Save the BS, get out of that your little hate filled world you tribalistic bigot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply)

Sheriff Walking Out As PDP Sacks Him, Replaces Him Wit Makarfi / Buhari And Obasanjo Meet In Addis Ababa After The Letter (Photo) / Matt Hoye Compares Buhari's White House Reception To That Of Angela Merkel

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75