Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years (23431 Views)

Sergio Ramos Leaves Real Madrid After 16 Years / Highest Goalscorers In The Champions League After The Group Stage / Man Utd Fans Fuming That Liverpool Have 'won The Premier League' After Man City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
Last season was a gross disappointment for them. They were very unlucky. They got their reward for hard work this season
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Heineken(m): 1:29pm On Jul 18, 2020
wonder233:
Awwwwww congratulations to Leeds United... I remember the likes of Alan Smith, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka and the other black guy that later went on to play for Man U.
It's good to have you guys back!

Modified:
I also wish to have back teams like Wimbledon, Charlton Athletic, Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Blackburn Rovers, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Etc
bro can Sunderland really come back? They are in league one now o.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by dreality: 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
Welcome back former EPL Champions

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Heineken(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
Fragility6:

Burnley don already punch beyond thier weight coz i remember 2-3 years them play europa league qualifiers but lost at the final round of qualifying match
Burnley no bad actually.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by lagusboyyy(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
paulolee:
a big congrats to leeds after being close to promotion numerous times but not lucky, finally bielsa get it right this time..
leeds are a very good team to watch, it would be nice having them in epl because i really love that thier beautiful playing pattern and thier swift kinda play just like city and wolves..
i just wish they adapt fast to the competitive epl and they live up to the little bielsa hype and stake thier claim in the epl..
it wount be nice seeing them struggling in the other bottom half of the table or battling for relegation after thier first appearance in epl afta a long while..
i trust the tactical genius in bielsa bt my fear is that, his sqaud have a small budget size and no or less big players but i jus hope it goes well for him..
The championship is equally competitive and hard.

More fixtures than EPL,and more rough tackles,its even easier to stay in the top flight than championship.

Many EPL teams that got relegated to that league,often remain there,or even get relegated to league one; portsmouth,bolton wanderers e.t.c

most dont near promotion again;wigan,queens park rangers and more...
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Heineken(m): 1:31pm On Jul 18, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Have been following their matches for the past two seasons,last season was a painful capitulation at the end..
I knew they were going to give it their all this time around..
Welcome to the Premier League!!
seriously it's determination. They tried o..

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Heineken(m): 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2020
VicM6:
Na so Norwich city nd Aston villa do.... now dem dey road grin
hahahahahaha them no dey road o bro. Dem don reach already na.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by oteikwu16(m): 1:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
I am super excited for Leeds United for gaining promotion to the EPL. As a child, I watched the last EPL match they played 16 years ago, and after that match, a child about my age back then in the stadium that day after Leeds got relegated, held up a placard with the inscription 'LEEDS TILL I DIE'... When ever I recall that glorious moment I can't but feel happy for my darling club Leeds United for gaining promotion to the EPL. Congratulations lads!... LEEDS TILL I DIE.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Pantoo: 1:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Kayharry(m): 1:35pm On Jul 18, 2020
A couple of months into the 1998 season, George Graham, who was instrumental in guiding Leeds to qualify for the UEFA Cup left to manage Tottenham Hotspur. This was followed by the club naming David O'Leary, who was assistant manager at the time, as the full time manager.Under O'Leary, United prospered. A period of unprecedented success followed and they qualified for both the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League, reaching the semi finals of both competitions.

However, the law of averages soon caught up to them and they weren't so lucky in the years that followed. In an attempted tactical gambit, the then Leeds United chairman, Peter Ridsdale, had taken out large loans keeping in mind potential appearances and strong runs in the UEFA Champions League. However, for two consecutive seasons, they agonizingly missed out on qualification. Along with this failure, they also missed out on the money that could have been used to pay back the exorbitant loan amounts.

The result of this was the selling of players who could have been stars for their club. The first player to go was Rio Ferdinand, to Manchester United, for a record 30 million pounds. It was all dependent on narrow margins as if they had qualified for the UEFA Champions League, they may never have had to sell him and faced subsequent troubles and may have still been a force to reckon with.

Fallouts between manager and Ridsdale became common. And unfortunately, so did player sales. This eventually led to regular sackings of managers. After O'Leary and Terry Venables (ex-England manager) both fell out with Ridsdale over transfer matters and were sacked, Peter Reid was appointed manager (Ridsdale resigned from the board). Leeds managed to avoid relegation by the skins of their teeth in the penultimate game of the season.

This was only an indication of what was to come in later years, however, and it turned out that it was in no way a possible low point. The nadir was yet to come. The 2003-04 season saw a sacking, sale of major club assets and a relegation. Leeds were faced with worse situations in their Championship stint. They sacked many of their managers due to poor results, went into administration and got relegated to League One.

However, for the past four years Leeds have been a part of the Championship and are currently owned by Eleonora Sports Ltd. under the long pending Presidency of Massimo Cellino.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Pantoo: 1:36pm On Jul 18, 2020

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by thesolutions(m): 1:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
Fragility6:

One thing that affected them was squad depth.Do they have the money to invest in the squad?Ofcourse not.Even thier coach is having issues with the board concerning transfers already.
Many might go to better their life, it is left for the ones remaining and upcoming players to evolve into something spectacular. This can only be achieved by individual player development and team spirit propagated by a set of motivators in the team.
Their ability to keep fresh physically and alert mentally is key. Most of this can only be done by individual player.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Humanoid01(m): 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Lets welcome them to the most overrated Moda fuckkking league on planet earth
EPL is damnnnnn overrated
I keep on saying it if we should merge bundesliga, laliga, seria A, ligue 1( french ligue), and EPL
Then i can bet my balls that no EPL team will make top eight

Has there ever been a UEFA final (Europa and champions leagues) that featured clubs in the same country in one season?
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Okuda(m): 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2020
internationalman:

You forgot to mention how the Glaziers family's money bag bought Howard Webb for your darling Man Utd...

You think it's coincidence that Man Utd premier league trophy triumph stopped just about the same time Howard Webb retired..

Don't you also wonder that despite Ferguson 26 years as a Man Utd coach he could only win 2 champions league??.. I guess he couldn't influence UEFA board like he did Webb and English FA..

my brother some big clubs for other countries never win champions league before. 2 in 26years sef na achievement... abeg leave them like that.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by zedegit: 1:38pm On Jul 18, 2020
*Rolls out the drums

I am happy for them. They should find their feet in EPL starting from first match.

They should encourage themselves with Wolves that was promoted and are doing well for themselves.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Creeknigga(m): 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
internationalman:

You forgot to mention how the Glaziers family's money bag bought Howard Webb for your darling Man Utd...

You think it's coincidence that Man Utd premier league trophy triumph stopped just about the same time Howard Webb retired..

Don't you also wonder that despite Ferguson 26 years as a Man Utd coach he could only win 2 champions league??.. I guess he couldn't influence UEFA board like he did Webb and English FA..
But Howard was among the best refs. in the premier league and also officiated a world cup final.
Come on man don't be petty.....
How many did Wenger win in his own time?
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by naptu2: 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2020
The legendary goal

Tony Yeboah was Ghana's version of Rashidi Yekini and he had a great partnership with Jay Jay Okocha and Maurizio Gaudano at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Then came a coach that did not like the three of them and Yeboah and Gaudano left, while Okocha spent some time on the bench.

Bayern Munich were interested in Yeboah, but Frankfurt did not want to sell him to another Bundesliga team and so he went to Leeds United.

Yeboah was very famous and well liked at Leeds for two wonder goals. The first was a goal against Wimbledon and this was the second. This was his wonder strike against Liverpool in 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPTmLzNLkDo
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by NACE13: 1:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
Leeds thank you very much o. I'm just glad I didn't play you guys 1&Over1.5 on Thursday though. grin
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by max57: 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2020
Just like yesterday, I remember that day they were been relegated,one small boy that was crying bitterly.... congrats to them
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by johnnychuks(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
this team go show Chelsea fire next season ooo!
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by GEEBITE: 1:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
Our second biggest rival is back. Man Utd surrounded by two enemies on two river banks of merseyside and aire.
obembet:

Source: https://supersport.com/football/english-championship/news/200717_Leeds_promoted_to_the_Premier_League

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by oteikwu16(m): 1:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
I am super excited for Leeds United for gaining promotion to the EPL. As a child, I watched the last EPL match they played 16 years ago, and after that match, a child about my age back then in the stadium that day after Leeds got relegated, had this inscription on his body 'LEEDS TILL I DIE'... When ever I recount that glorious moment I can't but feel happy for my darling club Leeds United for gaining promotion to the EPL. Congratulations lads!... LEEDS TILL I DIE.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by MRSUCCESS70: 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
Congratulations. 16 Good Years No Be Small Thing.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by guru90: 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
Huge Congratulations!!!
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by GEEBITE: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
Obviously you support Leeds.Terrible financial management damaged the Club.The reason it took them so long to get out of that doldrums. For my late dad's sake,I wish them well.
naptu2:
I have waited many years in order to be able to quote this post.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by Reference(m): 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
Wow. How time flies. Remember the days of Tony Yeboah and his long range screamer that still makes the top 100 Premeirship goals of all time.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by uchman46(m): 1:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
The much anticipated team is back�
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by zedegit: 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
EngineerBode:
I used to like their white jersey that year. Welcome back

Very impressive jersey.

1 Like

Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by brainhgeek(m): 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2020
The long wait will be worthwhile if they don't relegate again next season
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by captianfreeman(m): 1:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
No condition is permanently permanent.

Congratulations to them.
Re: Leeds United Gets Promoted To The Premier League After 16 Years by naptu2: 1:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
GEEBITE:
Obviously you support Leeds.Terrible financial management damaged the Club.The reason it took them so long to get out of that doldrums. For my late dad's sake,I wish them well.

I love football, but the only club I support is Stationery Stores.

There was a documentary about that problem back in the day. Peter Ridsdale and David O'leary were trading accusations.

The problem was that Peter Ridsdale spent with the belief that they would qualify for the Champions League every year and he blames David O'leary for not qualifying and denying them the financial windfall that comes from the Champions League, but David O'leary said that there was no way that any manager could guarantee that they would appear in the Champions League every year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FIFA Issues Keshi Ultimatum On Saintfeit Comments / Chelsea Signs Christian Pulisic From Borrusia Dortmund For £58m! / Lukaku Hails Osimhen Best Striker In Italy Now, Ahead Inter, Napoli Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.