Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules (3610 Views)

If You Travel By Air A Lot, Beware Of Over Friendly Chatty Seat Neighbours. / UK: Changes To Visa, Immigration Rules Effective October 1 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:50am On Jul 18, 2020
Dear Potential Immigrant,

Congratulations!

Indeed, the world has been and is going through tough times – and you are set for a ‘windfall’, yes you are, for with great challenges come great opportunities.

You may have heard (of course I see you popping champagne bottles) of the UK’s desire to attract “the best and the brightest” (don’t laugh, this is usually said with a straight face). The UK is leaving the EU come December 31, 2020 and by God will do all within her power to make sure she is set to house all the best brains in the world – hahahahahahaha, what a load of buffoonery.

Yet, it does seem confusing, you know. I mean with respect to Coronavirus; she has the second highest death toll world over and potentially the worst death rate across the world (when you factor in excess deaths) and that reminds me – she has the now abandoned “world beating test and trace app”. God rest the soul of England’s founding fathers.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:50am On Jul 18, 2020
Yes, the UK is in for a jolly ride with BoJo (Yes, Minister) and with it comes all the works – confusion, deceit, hypocrisy and lack of foresight – do you agree? I’m at crossroads as I’m finding it difficult placing this government, but one thing I can assure you is that she is indeed “intentional” in her confused actions.

Let’s get cracking to what really matters – Tier 2 visa category.

You see, if one must really get to know how the British think and reason, one must be prepared to read in between the lines. I dare say this – the British may present themselves as “elite”, “reasonable” and “posh” – you know that “British Poshness” with all the accents, candour, diplomacy, bla bla bla – let’s just say “packaging”, but on deeper assessment, what one will find is left to be determined.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:50am On Jul 18, 2020
The Tier 2 visa category is the major route through which the UK regulates immigrant workers coming into the UK to work. Other categories like spousal, dependents (Tier 1 (innovator/start-up) and Tier 4) and exceptional talent/promise (now Global Talent Visa) allow working too, but as a main applicant who wants to work, Tier 2 it is (and if exceptional, then Global Talent).

However as expected, the majority of workers who immigrate to the UK on this visa do it in order to become settled residents – with the right to come in and go out without further restrictions (they become permanent residents).

This visa category (Tier 2) does have some important howbeit subtle rules which many do not take note of until the late moments.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:51am On Jul 18, 2020
2 important rules include:
1 This visa can only be held for a maximum of 6 years
2 Application for settlement (ILR – Indefinite Leave to Remain) under this visa category is subject to minimum salary threshold.

Both points are very subtle and hold no meaning initially until the implications become REAL.

If you have been following the news recently, you should have noticed that the Home Office has proposed new salary thresholds beginning from January 2021 to assist EU applicants especially (my own view). Recall that EU citizens normally are not subject to visa controls as per the UK still being part of the EU. EU citizens currently do not need any certificate of sponsorship (CoS) to work – as a matter of fact, they are ranked after British citizens in job placements. However, come January 1, 2021, EU citizens who want to work in the UK will need to meet the same requirements as a Nigerian, American, Canadian etc. to be eligible for a CoS. A lowered salary threshold thus means that companies will have to go through the rigours of selecting only the “top crop” from the EU as against the free for all that is currently available.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Golan007: 11:51am On Jul 18, 2020
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:51am On Jul 18, 2020
However, beneath all the hype about the reasons for the reduced salary threshold, there is the looming crisis that is currently brewing (or stewing?).

After five years of continuous stay in the UK on a Tier 2 visa, you are entitled to apply for ILR. However, among other factors you must be earning at least the following:

1 £36,900, if you apply for settlement on or after 6 April 2021
2 £37,900, if you apply for settlement on or after 6 April 2022
3 £38,800, if you apply for settlement on or after 6 April 2023
4 £40,100, if you apply for settlement on or after 6 April 2024

The above salary thresholds are from your sponsored jobs and not some “side hussle”. You will thus not be able to combine income from multiple roles. You are only exempt if you are under Tier 2 (minister of religion), employed for a role under the shortage Occupation Classification (SOC) for 6 years, employed for a PhD-level job, a work permit holder or having a CoS issued before 6 April 2011.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:52am On Jul 18, 2020
It may seem inconsequential now but considering the global climate and increased competition among workers coming into the UK, it may be necessary to have a plan on how to make sure your salary does fall into the threshold long before your application for ILR.

Yearly salary increment is around 1.8% – 2% (it follows CPI). So, this means that if you are employed January 1, 2021, to come work in a job not on the SOC and classified as a “new entrant” with a yearly salary of £30K, you would need to be earning at least £41100 (by my modest projections) when you apply for ILR. Over five years, at an astronomical 3% annual salary increment, you would have £30900 (year 2021), £31827 (year 2022), £32782 (year 2023) and £33765 (year 2024) and £34778 (year 2025) leaving you with a shortfall of £6322. Of course, my analysis assumes salary increment of around October each year hence the increment for 2021.

You may thus want to consider your options very diligently and decide if staying with an employer is your best shot or perhaps seeking out other opportunities that offer higher salaries. Additionally, you will have to work on your negotiation skills especially in asking for a salary raise. This may involve you acquiring additional certifications/qualifications.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 11:54am On Jul 18, 2020
Remember that if you are forced to return back home on a Tier 2 visa, you will need to chill out for at least a year (cooling off period) before you can be allowed into the country again on a Tier 2 visa unless you are being offered over £159K annually as salary (chuckles).

Earlier analysis done by the Home Office showed that about 16% of Tier 2 workers will not meet the salary threshold. That number will increase from 2021 owing to the lowered salary threshold.

Don’t be among the 16%!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Skymoore1004: 12:14pm On Jul 18, 2020
Well said!! Kudos to you
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by opomulero(m): 1:06pm On Jul 18, 2020
UKLifeIssues:
Remember that if you are forced to return back home on a Tier 2 visa, you will need to chill out for at least a year (cooling off period) before you can be allowed into the country again on a Tier 2 visa unless you are being offered over £159K annually as salary (chuckles).

Earlier analysis done by the Home Office showed that about 16% of Tier 2 workers will not meet the salary threshold. That number will increase from 2021 owing to the lowered salary threshold.

Don’t be among the 16%!

what should now be done, what is your advice
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Goddys(m): 4:31pm On Jul 18, 2020
@OP, your analysis is on point. This is a very subtle immigration policy
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by jesmond3945: 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2020
Op what is your way forward
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by UKLifeIssues: 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
Sincerely speaking, I do not have any remedy, only suggestions as individual circumstances vary.

First thing first, please move with the right set of individuals. You want to ensure that early enough you are comfortably on the £40K threshold to avoid stories that touch. It will thus be instructive to move with fellow minded folks or folks who have succeeded in doing that. In addition to moving with the right kind of people is networking with your colleagues and bosses alike at work. Schedule a chat with your bosses and inform them that you are willing to do all it takes to rise in the office and will be happy if they can inform you on what they think you can do to achieve expedited career progress.

Don’t come across as patronising or vulnerable – in the hands of a wrong person, they could make life a living hell for you. I have worked with someone who knew my contract was expiring in a few months and deliberately kept mute. Behind my back, he was telling my colleagues of his plan to deal with me. Of course, this was coronavirus period and the job market was sluggish. Guess what, I had 2 offers within the space of 6 weeks. I tendered my resignation and resumed in the first place shortly after. I have accepted the second offer and put a later date (they graciously agreed) while I observe my current place. In all these employments my salary always received a boost. Of course, I will not be worrying about salary threshold since my first salary was in excess and I’m now on a different visa route.

Second is strategy. Start planning your exit from your first day of resumption as an alternative. Apply for jobs and know why you weren’t selected for interview. Are there qualifications you think can give you an edge, please go for them. Also scout for uninteresting areas where people are not likely eager to work/live there. Seek out opportunities in those areas as long as they guarantee a salary boost. Don’t restrict yourself to jobs within a field. You are now in the UK and so no longer needing a restricted CoS. Spread your tentacles wide. Are there research jobs that fit your profile and for which you have the skillset, please go for it as long as there is a matching salary increment. In all your moves, please pay attention to your contracts (to ensure that there is enough notice time from employer to you – at least 2-4 months).

Please note this that moving into a new role must pay you your current salary at the worst-case scenario.

So no set rule, just strategy on your part and God’s mercy. Apply, apply, apply to places and attend loads of interviews. Attend conferences/workshops and network. Chat with your friends in other places and tell them to inform you if openings arise in their establishments. A word of mouth/recommendation is enough in most establishments to bring you in.

Remember that from January 2021, EU citizens will need CoS to work in the UK like you. This means that most employers will be Tier 2 sponsors – thus broadening the pool of potential employers. So please apply, apply, apply. If you don’t see progress in your current workplace – “Japa”. Sorry, sorry no dey o. Na your future you dey preserve.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by jimmyroger: 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
Thanks this is really a eye opener
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by jesmond3945: 12:23am On Jul 19, 2020
UK is such a boring place. You have good life but dead inside. Naija is better jare

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by opomulero(m): 5:36pm On May 23, 2021
please dont let this topic die o, its interesting
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Lastborn07: 10:55pm On May 23, 2021
U guys should please update us ooo.
Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Plut01: 12:51pm On May 24, 2021

Simply put, UK is not the way for the average Nigerian.
Thank you OP.

Re: Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules by Grace001: 10:58pm On May 26, 2021
Just like someone said on this forum that the UK is known for their “bait and switch” travel policies

(1) (Reply)

Do You REALLY Know America? / Top 15 Cheap, Safe And Friendly Countries 2016 / Italy Tourists & Family Reunion Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.