Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors (20400 Views)

Lost Her To Parvo - Quack Vet Didn't Know / Lets Create A Dog Of Our Own.dog Owners,veterinary Doctors,lab Scientists. / Veterinary Doctors In Port Harcourt | Contact Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Datsme: 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2021
lexxi:
Nice write-up. There are also Veterinary technicians and Veterinary Nurses to assist veterinary doctors but under the supervision of vet Dr. So it is advisable to get this identity per duties.

Is there anything like "vet nurse" or are you referring to animal scientist?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by DocAdray(f): 2:21pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nice write-up colleague.
Its painful what quacks are doing to our profession. A lot of quacks handle cases so poorly and even cause life threatening injuries to pets, before clients will then realize and make extra efforts to look for the actual veterinarians. I've experienced scenerious like this a lot of times.

I'm a veterinarian (female), ABU graduate, Abuja-based.

6 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by FreeSpirited: 2:24pm On Jun 13, 2021
bluefilm:

You're not serious at all.

So because I studied veterinary sciences, I am now a quack in your eyes, abi?

May fierce thunder from Adamawa visit you in your bunk one of these days!

Nonsense. lipsrsealed
Lol which one is veterinary science again in Nigeria?
I think this is another sign of quackery. I've never heard of Veterinary science in Nigeria...I've only heard of Veterinary medicine and Animal science

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by BeardGangJnr1(m): 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2021
No.3 no follow.... english no fit determine who be quack or genuine vet doc

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Spidermon: 2:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
Datsme:

So, what about those that graduated from more plantation, apata Ibadan

They are animal scientists, not Veterinarians.

The profession suffers greatly from quacks because much value isnt placed on life generally in Nigeria not knowing that 80% of human diseases originate from animals..

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by COUSIN1279(m): 2:57pm On Jun 13, 2021
Op you mention National Institute of vetnary research vom, jos. Wey na number 1 for Nigeria
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Emeka71(m): 3:05pm On Jun 13, 2021
manuel0702:
Thanks for the information. I am usually scared of taking my pets to vets these days whenever the known vet is not around. Too many hustlers out there!
Ban Buhari.
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by thundafire: 3:18pm On Jun 13, 2021
manuel0702:
Thanks for the information. I am usually scared of taking my pets to vets these days whenever the known vet is not around. Too many hustlers out there!
90% of vet in Nigeria are useless. The ask the Normal questions but end up giving the dog useless injection
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 3:19pm On Jun 13, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Let's call it what it is!

Animal scientists have spoiled business for Vets in Nigeria that's the reason both disciplines don't see ,eye ball to eye ball'.

Imagine a scenerio where a Vet. charge N100 to vaccinate a bird(Poultry),an Animal scientist will gladly take N30 for the same service!
I understand sir, but you can't compare the services. Moreover the animal scientist is not liable if anything untowards happens to your pet since he/she may not be licenced to perform such procedure, unlike the vet who is licenced, liable and can be reported to the Veterinary Council where appropriate actions can be taken.
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Nice one. I have a few probably dumb questions, but I'll ask them nevertheless:

1) Please, does a vet need special studies asides the normal vet degree to be able to treat birds? Where I stay, we have a lot of veterinary doctors but only a few of them do birds, and they are expensive. They call themselves 'avian vets'. Is it like that everywhere else? I mean pet birds like parrots, parakeets, finches, canaries, etc.

2) Is there a body for dog trainers in Nigeria or any law guiding the practice?

3) I noticed that many dogs in Nigeria are readily aggressive to strangers and this seems to be normal as the owners even brag about it. The same species are socialized in western countries as part of the initial puppy training process, and only attack when ordered to or in certain circumstances. I know Nigerians purposely do this and my question is, are they benefits to raising un-socialized dogs? Do such owners ever take thier dogs to leash free zones/dog parks? Won't they be in serious legal trouble if their dogs attack someone or another dog regardless of where?

Thanks.
To your answer
1. In Nigeria they have both Exotic Medicine and Avian Medicine but in Nigeria the Specialty for Domestic Birds is Poultry Medicine. For Birds like Macaus,Finches and other exotic birds as you've highlighted,they are under exotic medicine or Exotic and Wildlife Medicine. In Nigeria they have Unions let me say Associations for Poultry Veterinarians, Bovine(Cow) Veterinarians unlike the US or UK that have Boards. It's a growing Nation Sir.
In Nigeria it's rather Unions/Associations than Regulatory boards. The members of the Associations work to Improve their members via Seminars, provision of facilities if needed.
In Nigeria we have a Major one rather a board Small Animal Veterinarians which comprises of Dogs,Cats, Rabbits,Guinea pigs etc. If you mean they're Veterinarians who attend to exotic birds majorly in Nigeria, then I afraid NO is the answer.

2. Dog Training is quite complex. In the US they are under Animal Behaviour Board. Dog Trainers don't have to be Doctors. But in Nigeria we have few Dog Trainers than Breeders. Don't mix a breeder for a Trainer. You can check the Small Animal Veterinary Nigeria there you can get contacts of Dog Trainers. Like I said you don't have to be a Doctor to be a Trainer it just take dilligence, patience and attending Classes to train your Dog. In UI they do Dog show organized by Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,there you can find Dog Trainers if need be. It is Annually done.

3. Concerning Dog Aggressiveness, it rather too bad People are glad to see their Dogs Violent to strangers. You may not blame them because of Security Issues on ground both Past and Present. The Abroad you say of have Little or No Fence in many Districts and Zones. They have a functioning Neighbourhood watch and Security personnels are fully functional. We can't say that here. The only crime is when you beat dogs, cut their Tails, Lock them up 13hrs a day to Increase their aggressiveness is what is Animal cruelty. Dogs properly trained are good security buddies. In Nigeria they have Few parks. In Lagos there's in Lekki, VI and some parts of Mainland. You can even ask in Nairaland as a Topic.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by NotKnown: 3:25pm On Jun 13, 2021
seunH:

The veterinary profession is one of the most affected professions in terms of quackery, in that sometimes it is very difficult to identify a genuine vet doctor. You would even see some semi-illiterates and diploma holders parading themselves as veterinarians simply because they have an idea of some animal diseases. It is even more worrisome, the confidence and brazenness some of these quacks exhibit because in their minds, they are usually like "its just an ordinary animal". The only way to avoid falling victims to such unscrupulous people is for pet owners to have the capability to be able to distinguish between quacks and genuine doctors, because it may determine the life or death of your pet. The ways in which you can identify a quack are listed below;

1) Its your right as a pet owner to ask questions about whatever condition your animal is suffering from and get a very detailed answer, if your "vet" cannot answer you or is dodgy about the question. Such individual is likely a quack. (Most quacks may be knowledgeable on how to perform the procedure but don't usually know the principles behind such procedure)

2) Stylishly ask which school he/she graduated from if you are suspicious. Presently, we have only 11 vet schools in Nigeria. They include;
(a)Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
(b) Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta
(c) Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi (4)
(d) Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
(e) University Of Abuja,Abuja
(f) University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
(g) University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
(h) University Of Maiduguri
(i) University Of Nigeria Nsukka
(j) Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
(I) University Of Jos
Most people do not know the schools that offer veterinary medicine, hence tend to make a blunder. It is imperative to take note of the above schools, if their school ain't in any of the above for now, he/she is definitely a quack. "Imagine a "vet" claiming he/she graduated from Unilag"

3) Check the persons carriage, spoken english and dressing, although subjective, it can be a give away

4) Check their price range and desperation for money, it could also be a give away. My dear friends, no veterinarian who spent 6yrs in Vet school would collect 300 naira from you for any procedure in your house !!!

5) Lastly, if they are quick to give judgement on your case without careful and proper diagnosis, such individual is likely a quack.

In conclusion, I believe if the above principles are followed you would be saved from quacks and get better quality treatment for your pets.

How come you didn't list NVRI?
National Veterinary Research Institute Jos?

How did you skip that?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Bauer1: 3:26pm On Jun 13, 2021
Well, my father finished his secondary school education and was employed into the civil service as a Vet in the 70s.

He practiced Veterinary medicine both for the public and private sector for 35 years before he retired. He's still a consultant to this day.

So, is he a quack just because he didn't obtain a university degree in Veterinary medicine?

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Ugonna62: 3:27pm On Jun 13, 2021
KelvinCoaster:
Hmmmm...I see you! Hope your VTH is fully functional now?
fully functional .
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by WoundedLamb: 3:30pm On Jun 13, 2021
Zeeknow3245:

To your answer
1. In Nigeria they have both Exotic Medicine and Avian Medicine but in Nigeria the Specialty for Domestic Birds is Poultry Medicine. For Birds like Macaus,Finches and other exotic birds as you've highlighted,they are under exotic medicine or Exotic and Wildlife Medicine. In Nigeria they have Unions let me say Associations for Poultry Veterinarians, Bovine(Cow) Veterinarians unlike the US or UK that have Boards. It's a growing Nation Sir.
In Nigeria it's rather Unions/Associations than Regulatory boards. The members of the Associations work to Improve their members via Seminars, provision of facilities if needed.
In Nigeria we have a Major one rather a board Small Animal Veterinarians which comprises of Dogs,Cats, Rabbits,Guinea pigs etc. If you mean they're Veterinarians who attend to exotic birds majorly in Nigeria, then I afraid NO is the answer.

2. Dog Training is quite complex. In the US they are under Animal Behaviour Board. Dog Trainers don't have to be Doctors. But in Nigeria we have few Dog Trainers than Breeders. Don't mix a breeder for a Trainer. You can check the Small Animal Veterinary Nigeria there you can get contacts of Dog Trainers. Like I said you don't have to be a Doctor to be a Trainer it just take dilligence, patience and attending Classes to train your Dog. In UI they do Dog show organized by Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,there you can find Dog Trainers if need be. It is Annually done.

3. Concerning Dog Aggressiveness, it rather too bad People are glad to see their Dogs Violent to strangers. You may not blame them because of Security Issues on ground both Past and Present. The Abroad you say of have Little or No Fence in many Districts and Zones. They have a functioning Neighbourhood watch and Security personnels are fully functional. We can't say that here. The only crime is when you beat dogs, cut their Tails, Lock them up 13hrs a day to Increase their aggressiveness is what is Animal cruelty. Dogs properly trained are good security buddies. In Nigeria they have Few parks. In Lagos there's in Lekki, VI and some parts of Mainland. You can even ask in Nairaland as a Topic.

Thanks for taking out your time to give such a detailed response!

I don't actually stay in Nigeria, and I now see why avian vets tend to be expensive!
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by PrinceMajestic: 3:36pm On Jun 13, 2021
Its not boasting. I treat poultry, fisheries n ruminantdiseases be it fungi, bacteria, protozoan, nutritional disorder except viral diseases. It is my work, after studyin Agriculture, i paid 150k to do veterinary training in sunghai Delta. I am not a vet doctor but only an agriculturist, so dm me for vaccination of birds and farm animal diseases that are based on the aforementioned etiology. But i dnt treat pets, i am strictly an agriculturist who also offer veterinary services for farm animals. I am not quack, dm for confirmation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2021
NotKnown:

How did you skip that?
NVRI is not a University rather a Research and Training Institute. It's major role is the training of Paraveterinary workers, production of Veterinary drugs, Vaccines etc. They're also a research Institute that seek to Curtail Disease outbreak via varieties of products,Methods etc. They don't train Veterinarians Sir. Paraveterinary Workers are not Veterinarians.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 3:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
Bauer1:
Well, my father finished his secondary school education and was employed into the civil service as a Vet in the 70s.

He practiced Veterinary medicine both for the public and private sector for 35 years before he retired. He's still a consultant to this day.

So, is he a quack just because he didn't obtain a university degree in Veterinary medicine?
Quackery is claiming what you're not. Your Father is a Paraveterinary worker not a Veterinarian. Your Father has a quite substantial amount medical Knowledge I can't call him a Quack but I can call him a Quack when he goes around claiming he is a Veterinarian rather than a Paraveterinary worker or a Veterinary Technologist if need be.

3 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
Datsme:

I thought the function of vet doctor is to prescribe medication while an animal scientist carry out the administration of the said medication.
If we must be Sincere to ourselves and Follow Protocols, Animal Scientists ought not to be Assistants. In Nigeria to qualify as a Veterinary Assistant or Veterinary Technologist they have schools for that. FCVT--- Federal College of Veterinary Technology. Here Veterinary Technologists are trained. Here we have the Veterinary Medical Laboratory Technology too.
NVRI is a notable to mention. In the Animal Science syllabus, Veterinary stuff are lacking. All you can get is Anatomy,Physiology, Biochemistry,breeding and Genetics, Animal Husbandry, Feeding. You can't get more than this. No Pharmacology,No in-depth Pathology,No Surgery, No Comparative medicine, No theriogeneology and handling of critical issues nothing nothing. Bring a Fresh Animal Scientists and ask him Veterinary questions,he will flop badly Because he has no Knowledge of Veterinary Medicine. Drug Interactions is Zero. Ask them drug differences in Animals, Zero.
I am not Saying Animal Science is bad but they have a Fix scope.

3 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:05pm On Jun 13, 2021
thundafire:
90% of vet in Nigeria are useless. The ask the Normal questions but end up giving the dog useless injection
You just have to Degrade a profession? Why? Is it right to say
*Men are scum
*Women are deceptive
*Yorubas are evil
*Igbos are wicked
*Muslims are evil
*Hausas are inhospitable?
Being Prejudiced is a bad narrative. If I may ask what Veterinarian attended to your animal. Be calm Sir quackery is the Topic of discussion

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:15pm On Jun 13, 2021
izubext007:
[s][/s]

If my pet shows any sign unusual, I will just pass the knife through his throat and prepare some nice for my self jare.

Every body now for naija nal quack. Man most hustle .
Except you eat Animals or let me say pet,you can't kill your pet. I will call it bragging Sir.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:20pm On Jun 13, 2021
bluefilm:

You're not serious at all.

So because I studied veterinary sciences, I am now a quack in your eyes, abi?

May fierce thunder from Adamawa visit you in your bunk one of these days!

Nonsense. lipsrsealed
With all due respect Sir, Veterinary Science is not done in Nigeria. BVsc or Bachelor in Veterinary Science is done in Some Commonwealth Nations for example UK and India. I don't think you studied abroad.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Zeeknow3245(m): 4:26pm On Jun 13, 2021
PrinceMajestic:
Its not boasting. I treat poultry, fisheries n ruminantdiseases be it fungi, bacteria, protozoan, nutritional disorder except viral diseases. It is my work, after studyin Agriculture, i paid 150k to do veterinary training in sunghai Delta. I am not a vet doctor but only an agriculturist, so dm me for vaccination of birds and farm animal diseases that are based on the aforementioned etiology. But i dnt treat pets, i am strictly an agriculturist who also offer veterinary services for farm animals. I am not quack, dm for confirmation.
You may say you can treat. Many of us take drugs without Doctors/Pharmacists Prescription. If you encounter a Pig,Cattle, goat with Rectal Prolapse how would you handle it since you claim you know Farm Animals. There's severe outbreak of disease let's say Circivrus how do you handle it? What of Milk fever? An animal constantly hitting the young? How do you handle it? Being vast in drugs giving doesn't mean you are that good. Delayed labour nko? I tire Sha. No offense Sir

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by musicology: 4:27pm On Jun 13, 2021
[b][/b][color=#000099][/color]The veterinary profession is one of the most affected professions in terms of quackery, in that sometimes it is very difficult to identify a genuine vet doctor. You would even see some semi-illiterates and diploma holders parading themselves as veterinarians simply because they have an idea of some animal diseases. It is even more worrisome, the confidence and brazenness some of these quacks exhibit because in their minds, they are usually like "its just an ordinary animal". The only way to avoid falling victims to such unscrupulous people is for pet owners to have the capability to be able to distinguish between quacks and genuine doctors, because it may determine the life or death of your pet. The ways in which you can identify a quack are listed below;

1) Its your right as a pet owner to ask questions about whatever condition your animal is suffering from and get a very detailed answer, if your "vet" cannot answer you or is dodgy about the question. Such individual is likely a quack. (Most quacks may be knowledgeable on how to perform the procedure but don't usually know the principles behind such procedure)

2) Stylishly ask which school he/she graduated from if you are suspicious. Presently, we have only 11 vet schools in Nigeria. They include;
(a)Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
(b) Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta
(c) Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi (4)
(d) Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
(e) University Of Abuja,Abuja
(f) University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
(g) University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
(h) University Of Maiduguri
(i) University Of Nigeria Nsukka
(j) Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
(I) University Of Jos
Most people do not know the schools that offer veterinary medicine, hence tend to make a blunder. It is imperative to take note of the above schools, if their school ain't in any of the above for now, he/she is definitely a quack. "Imagine a "vet" claiming he/she graduated from Unilag"

3) Check the persons carriage, spoken english and dressing, although subjective, it can be a give away

4) Check their price range and desperation for money, it could also be a give away. My dear friends, no veterinarian who spent 6yrs in Vet school would collect 300 naira from you for any procedure in your house !!!

5) Lastly, if they are quick to give judgement on your case without careful and proper diagnosis, such individual is likely a quack.

In conclusion, I believe if the above principles are followed you would be saved from quacks and get better quality treatment for your pets.
You just gave out "expo" to quacks & potential ones.
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by seunH: 4:27pm On Jun 13, 2021
NotKnown:

How did you skip that?
I didn't skip it sir, NVRI does not offer Veterinary medicine. It's just a research institute like NPRI, NIMR etc, so please don't let anyone mislead you sir
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by UCHIHAmask: 4:42pm On Jun 13, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Let's call it what it is!

Animal scientists have spoiled business for Vets in Nigeria that's the reason both disciplines don't see ,eye ball to eye ball'.

Imagine a scenerio where a Vet. charge N100 to vaccinate a bird(Poultry),an Animal scientist will gladly take N30 for the same service!
pls do tell the difference in their license and area of practise...
i don't think animal scientist should be let to handle drugs and treat pathological cases..
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by UCHIHAmask: 4:44pm On Jun 13, 2021
lexxi:
Nice write-up. There are also Veterinary technicians and Veterinary Nurses to assist veterinary doctors but under the supervision of vet Dr. So it is advisable to get this identity per duties.
tell me more about each discipline,especially relating to their scope of practise,regulated license,school of study and years of study
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by UCHIHAmask: 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2021
thundafire:
ohh,i see you've visited or investigated 90% of nigerian vets..
pray tell me the normal questions they ask?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by UCHIHAmask: 4:54pm On Jun 13, 2021
NotKnown:

How did you skip that?
what degree do they offer and how many years is the course of study?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by UCHIHAmask: 5:01pm On Jun 13, 2021
PrinceMajestic:
does agriculture cover your practises,how long did you spend in sunghai delta and what degree did you recieve,give me an inkling to the veterinary services you shouldnt attend to?
Re: How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2021
seunH:
in addition to the above, it was also observed that when a "vet" is quick to prescribe without proper diagnosis and also has a habit of doing mostly home calls without been affiliated to a standard vet clinic or hospital, then one should be suspicious.
good afternoon sir am a veterinary student at usman Danfodio university sokoto 100level please sir i need more light on how lucarative veterinarians are in nigeria do state or federal goverment employed us after 7 years of study just like our counter path MBBS graduates or we will have to be jumping in and out looking for jobs like Bsc agric graduates and biochemistry need ur response sir i need more orentetion sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From KCR Pet And Car Wash Event / Is Dog Breeding That Lucrative? / 6 Most Aggressive Dogs To Own In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.