Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts (425 Views)

Correct Selection Method Of Polyacrylamide For Mineral Processing / Finding Specific User Posts In Chosen Threads - Google Search. / Can Nairaland Accounts Posts Be Merged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts by ibromodzi: 8:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nairaland remains Africa's largest forum with over 2M members. As such, several topics belonging to different sections hit the front page per day with posters having to choose the right section their posts should go to. If you are a regular user of this forum, you must have seen one or two occasions where posts end up in a wrong section. In order to tackle this issue, I feel it would be better if Nairaland can embrace state of the art approach by embedding some ML/NLP algorithms that automatically classify topics into the right sections, rather than leaving posters to choose the section for their posts.

What do you think guys?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts by stanliwise(m): 9:04pm On Jul 18, 2020
ibromodzi:
Nairaland remains Africa's largest forum with over 2M members. As such, several topics belonging to different sections hit the front page per day with posters having to choose the right section their posts should go to. If you are a regular user of this forum, you must have seen one or two occasions where posts end up in a wrong section. In order to tackle this issue, I feel it would be better if Nairaland can embrace state of the art approach by embedding some ML/NLP algorithms that automatically classify topics into the right sections, rather than leaving posters to choose the section for their posts.

What do you think guys?
This algorithms would be automatically flawed as most topics and post are constructed in a way to fit multiple categories. Tagging will be a good suggestion in my opinion.
The problem of Nairaland forum is the integrity of user within it. Users are verified usually by mail only and new user have same power as old and trusted users. This means there is no rule specific to user credibility and everyone is anyone aside admin. Which has a good and bad side.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts by meobizy(f): 9:12pm On Jul 18, 2020
After collecting bans you will deactivate and abandon this account. I don’t see why this platform has programming and webmasters sections and yet when users critically analyze the ways thing work na permanent ban them dey chop.
Re: Let's Review Nairaland's Method Of Categorizing Posts by ibromodzi: 7:27am On Jul 19, 2020
stanliwise:
This algorithms would be automatically flawed as most topics and post are constructed in a way to fit multiple categories. Tagging will be a good suggestion in my opinion.
The problem of Nairaland forum is the integrity of user within it. Users are verified usually by mail only and new user have same power as old and trusted users. This means there is no rule specific to user credibility and everyone is anyone aside admin. Which has a good and bad side.

Are you saying it is possible for a topic to be found in more than one section? While tagging is similar to topic categorization, they do not serve the same purpose. More so, I think Nairaland already implements some sort of tagging by giving you topics related to the current one you are viewing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Type Of Laptop Will You Recommend For A Beginner In Programming? / Looking For Python Or Coding Guys In Minna, Niger State. / Freelance Web -developers !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.