Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,233 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

I Just Closed Down My Shop - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Just Closed Down My Shop (1306 Views)

Is It Possible For Her To Lay Claim On My Shop / Will I Betray My Shop Neighbor If I Do This??? / Do You Have Goods To Sell? Supply Me And I'll Market Them In My Shop In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Closed Down My Shop by Snakedoctor1: 12:03pm On Jul 19, 2020
Its an understatement to say that Nigeria has a harsh business environment. It is more than harsh, it is predatory and sadistic, to say the least. Sorry I am not blaming everything on the Pandemic. To cut a long sad story short, I paid a rent of 1.6m in a small shop somewhere in the FCT and shortly after that, the lock down started. I had no option than to pack my kaya out of the shop at the skeletal resumption of activities and the uncertainties of stable continuity in the face of the global pandemic vis a vis the kind of items I sell (switching to another kind of trade, on the tides of the realities of the pandemic is also not easy without some funds). I have also asked for a refund of half the sum unexpired residue, but landlord said until someone occupies ad pays; non till now.

I had approached the National Microfinance Bank for the so called Palliative loan from CBN but the experience is not what I want to bore you with. I also approached a commercial Bank I started banking with since 2013, but the conditions they gave me are just jaw dropping in the negative sense. The finance houses that I described as money lenders are not even in focus as their interest rates are just killing.

Business in Nigeria is quite a herculean task, entrepreneurship is by divine providence if one should tell himself the truth- I mean starters like us, don't get me wrong. Ideas are dead and frozen, not an inch encouraged. Many that flourish in their stuff have benefactors that are looters and shady practitioners of sorts. The banks run after the already wealthy and even beg to give them more credit without documentations. It is quite cheaper and safer for them in a country where a barber may not see 5 hours electricity to power his clipper while the basest politician lives in Nigerian Dubai. A clear depiction of dysfunctional society!

What more can I say? I think it is time to start asking the right questions. It is really terrible business wise around here.

5 Likes

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 19, 2020
Ouch! Sorry man.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Macphenson: 12:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
Another name for doing business in Nigeria is frustration.

1 Like

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by WakeNbaked: 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
Its an understatement to say that Nigeria has a harsh business environment. It is more than harsh, it is predatory and sadistic, to say the least. Sorry I am not blaming everything on the Pandemic. To cut a long sad story short, I paid a rent of 1.6m in a small shop somewhere in the FCT and shortly after that, the lock down started. I had no option than to pack my kaya out of the shop at the skeletal resumption of activities and the uncertainties of stable continuity in the face of the global pandemic. I have also asked for a refund of half the sum unexpired residue, but landlord said until someone occupies ad pays; non till now.

I had approached the National Microfinance Bank for the so called Palliative loan from CBN but the experience is not what I want to bore you with. I also approached a commercial Bank I started banking with since 2013, but the conditions they gave me are just jaw dropping in the negative sense. The finance houses that I described as money lenders are not even in focus as their interest rates are just killing.

Business in Nigeria is quite a herculean task, entrepreneurship is by divine providence if one should tell himself the truth- I mean starters like us, don't get me wrong. Ideas are dead and frozen, not an inch encouraged. Many that flourish in their stuff are benefactors of looters and shady practitioners of sorts. The banks run after the already wealthy and even beg to give them more credit without documentations. It is quite cheaper and safer for them in a country where a barber may not see 5 hours electricity to power his clipper while the basest politician lives in Nigerian Dubai. A clear depiction of dysfunctional society!

What more can I say? I think it is time to start asking the right questions. It is really terrible business wise around here.
What do you expect with this mindset.

The bank is someone else's business likewise, even when your friend the guy wey no from childhood reason you Sai make you loan am something make him start one small hustle, you dey give am just like that without any hesitation? And you expect a billion dollar company to give everyone that ask loan money just like while hoping they succeed? Be real dude.

Yes the country is not working, hut those bitchy reasons you have up there ain't it.

Save and investment, dey go also follow you come house dey beg you with loans.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by espn(m): 12:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
OP if everyone starts talking no be here oo...In our country the rich becomes richer while the poor becomes poorer. I have given up on most of my dreams...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by ojun50(m): 12:12pm On Jul 19, 2020
I just hate our banking system

2 Likes

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Stephenomozzy(m): 12:13pm On Jul 19, 2020
So sorry Sir. It's quite sad the frustrating nature of business in Nigeria. And the negligent nature of our mis-leaders now compounded by the excuse of the pandemic.

I pray the stars help you find the courage and support to build your empire back again.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by kestolove95(m): 12:17pm On Jul 19, 2020
Wetin dey work for dix country sef?
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
kestolove95:
Wetin dey work for dix country sef?

Corruption
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by kestolove95(m): 12:30pm On Jul 19, 2020
Havanatandt:

Corruption
u are rice

1 Like

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Queenttoast01: 12:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
What do you sell there? Snake?
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Olayinka777(m): 3:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
Its an understatement to say that Nigeria has a harsh business environment. It is more than harsh, it is predatory and sadistic, to say the least. Sorry I am not blaming everything on the Pandemic. To cut a long sad story short, I paid a rent of 1.6m in a small shop somewhere in the FCT and shortly after that, the lock down started. I had no option than to pack my kaya out of the shop at the skeletal resumption of activities and the uncertainties of stable continuity in the face of the global pandemic vis a vis the kind of items I sell (switching to another kind of trade, on the tides of the realities of the pandemic is also not easy without some funds). I have also asked for a refund of half the sum unexpired residue, but landlord said until someone occupies ad pays; non till now.

Business in Nigeria is quite a herculean task, entrepreneurship is by divine providence if one should tell himself the truth- I mean starters like us, don't get me wrong. Ideas are dead and frozen, not an inch encouraged. Many that flourish in their stuff are benefactors of looters and shady practitioners of sorts. The banks run after the already wealthy and even beg to give them more credit without documentations. It is quite cheaper and safer for them in a country where a barber may not see 5 hours electricity to power his clipper while the basest politician lives in Nigerian Dubai. A clear depiction of dysfunctional society!

So sorry about the nasty experience u had. What line of business are u into?
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by jayaim: 4:21pm On Jul 19, 2020
Same thing happened to me. I collect small money from the landlord instead of refunding half. Our banking system is the worst in the world
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by mrgbenga1: 4:34pm On Jul 19, 2020
Sorry. The business atmosphere now is not smiling at starters.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by noble71(m): 4:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
Sorry bro. I feel for you. Move your business online it's easier to start than offline business. Meanwhile don't borrow money to start a business cus most businesses fail in their first six months. Start with what you have and master the business very well before borrowing. I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

1 Like

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Tunjifant: 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2020
Experiences like this abound. All the best bro.
What is your line of business. There are people who have passed through your kind of experience and survived even flourished. Their perspective might be useful to you.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Oluwahelpme(m): 5:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
We have told them that business is for everyone. But everybody wants to be 'OGA'
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by onward4life(m): 6:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Snakedoctor1:

Business in Nigeria is quite a herculean task, entrepreneurship is by divine providence if one should tell himself the truth- I mean starters like us, don't get me wrong. Ideas are dead and frozen, not an inch encouraged. Many that flourish in their stuff have benefactors that are looters and shady practitioners of sorts. The banks run after the already wealthy and even beg to give them more credit without documentations. It is quite cheaper and safer for them in a country where a barber may not see 5 hours electricity to power his clipper while the basest politician lives in Nigerian Dubai. A clear depiction of dysfunctional society!

Same thing happened to me..

I nearly sip Wesley snipe gin

But bruwari supporters will counter Yu seriously

Most of them inherited 4rooms from their fathers...

Government doesn't care.. they all busy in anticipation of 2023...

Since bruwari took to office now 2yrs I have been an applicant

Infact I am an application on play store

Any bruwari supporters till this evening

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by skillmyman(m): 6:20pm On Jul 19, 2020
hi op,
if u bank with gtb or first bank, i am sure they can avail you some soft loans.
the truth is that u need to re-strategise because naija does not encourage entrepreneurship.
What is your business about?
is it something you can do from home?
either buying and selling or providing service, just create a website or instagram page and get influencers to push traffic to the page.
you can also move to a place like gwarimpa where you will not pay that much money for office space
but the truth is with tis covid experience, i will rather prefer getting my business online because of the reach.

cheers bro

1 Like

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Greatzeus(m): 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
Snakedoctor1:

Tell us the business you are doing. Some of you money miss road knows nothing about business,you hear people talk about the advantages of been your own boss and you joined the band wagon.
1.6million for rent,how much did you plan to make as profit a month for you to go for 1.6m rent? To be viable,you should make at least N300k as profit monthly,that is deducting your monthly expenses from income,you should be left with 300k above for you to be paying 1.6m per rent. Some of you are just unbelievable. What business are you doing? What are you selling? Let us know. Unless this is audio,a man prudent enough to labour and have almost N2m for rent won't pack up his shop because of 2 weeks lockdown. You don't sound as a typical business man to me. A true business man values every kobo, for him to rent a shop of almost 2m he will be so balanced financially that even a 2 month lockdown won't shake him.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2020
espn:
OP if everyone starts talking no be here oo...In our country the rich becomes richer while the poor becomes poorer. I have given up on most of my dreams...

Sad for you. Your younger self will be ashamed of what you grew up to be.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by chidekings(m): 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2020
Greatzeus:

Tell us the business you are doing. Some of you money miss road knows nothing about business,you hear people talk about the advantages of been your own boss and you joined the band wagon.
1.6million for rent,how much did you plan to make as profit a month for you to go for 1.6m rent? To be viable,you should make at least N300k as profit monthly,that is deducting your monthly expenses from income,you should be left with 300k above for you to be paying 1.6m per rent. Some of you are just unbelievable. What business are you doing? What are you selling? Let us know. Unless this is audio,a man prudent enough to labour and have almost N2m for rent won't pack up his shop because of 2 weeks lockdown. You don't sound as a typical business man to me. A true business man values every kobo, for him to rent a shop of almost 2m he will be so balanced financially that even a 2 month lockdown won't shake him.
U nailed it,no where is business an easy thing.they all want to make fast money.1.6m for rent,what are you selling or what service is he rendering.

1 Like

Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by ecomalchemist(m): 6:42pm On Sep 11, 2020
1.6 M for rent, what kind of business were you running ?

In Nigeria now, the only business thriving excellently well is the corruption industry.

Its best you use your money to trade, open pos shop in strategic areas, restaurant, food stuff business, etc etc.

Doing Business in Nigeria is not for the faint hearted, you will shed tears.
Re: I Just Closed Down My Shop by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2020
WakeNbaked:

What do you expect with this mindset.

The bank is someone else's business likewise, even when your friend the guy wey no from childhood reason you Sai make you loan am something make him start one small hustle, you dey give am just like that without any hesitation? And you expect a billion dollar company to give everyone that ask loan money just like while hoping they succeed? Be real dude.

Yes the country is not working, hut those bitchy reasons you have up there ain't it.

Save and investment, dey go also follow you come house dey beg you with loans.

The thing is that most people that have money and want to venture into one business or the order don't really put both positive and negative factors into consideration.
The shop rent self as a starter was too much though I don't know the kind of business you ventured into.

(1) (Reply)

Investors Needed In Apparel Production / CBN To Banks: Phase Out Fraud-prone ATM Cards By December! / How You Can Make Over 1MILLION NAIRA In The Next 7 Weeks With Just #200 NOW!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.