Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website (807 Views)

What Am I Missing When Freelancing On Upwork / How Can I Get A First Client On Upwork? / Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 12:31pm On Jul 19, 2020
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to post this enquiry. But I beckon on the relevant moderator to shift my thread to the appropriate section where it will receive adequate audience.

I have been thinking about joining Upwork and creating a PayPal account for it. Learning how to operate the website, buy connects, write proposals, win writing gigs, earn through my PayPal account and channel it into my bank account..

On the other hand, side-thoughts of being my own Boss and not being answerable to anyone drives me into wanting to create a website blog for diverse news. I have written a lot of website contents for about two years now and I must say i don't enjoy the experience of working under someone. I love to be confident of myself and control my own world and not have anyone dictate things to me because I think I'm a very visionary person.

But why I am discouraged about the website or blog creating, is that tons of websites and blogs are in Nigeria already and when i check dozens of them out, they barely have comments, views or traffic. It seems guests are used to popular websites like lindaikeji blog and nairaland.com so I'm discouraged about wasting time and resources on something that won't be fruitful like dozens of them out there.

Are websites/blogs profiting? Will it generate income for me or go down the drain like all those I find? Or i should just channel my energy into writing articles on upwork and earn money, at least i'm guaranteed my accepted articles will be paid for.

Please assist me with words of advice. Is website/blog creating really worth it? A lot out there are really discouraging. How much can they really earn in the first few months?? I'd like to know.

Thank you very much
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Charlynega(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2020
I'll advise you to do both. Create a blog asides entertainment niche and post when you are free. Blog will not give you money as fast as possible. It may even take you up to a year.

Write on upwork, get your money and also write for your blog but devote more time to writing articles on Upwork.

I am also in the same delima as you are.

1 Like

Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 4:39pm On Jul 19, 2020
Charlynega:
I'll advise you to do both. Create a blog asides entertainment niche and post when you are free. Blog will not give you money as fast as possible. It may even take you up to a year.

Write on upwork, get your money and also write for your blog but devote more time to writing articles on Upwork.

I am also in the same delima as you are.
Thank you
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2020
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2020
[quote author=flyingpig post=91870518]Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to post this enquiry. But I beckon on the relevant moderator to shift my thread to the appropriate section where it will receive adequate audience.

I have been thinking about joining Upwork and creating a PayPal account for it. Learning how to operate the website, buy connects, write proposals, win writing gigs, earn through my PayPal account and channel it into my bank account..

On the other hand, side-thoughts of being my own Boss and not being answerable to anyone drives me into wanting to create a website blog for diverse news. I have written a lot of website contents for about two years now and I must say i don't enjoy the experience of working under someone. I love to be confident of myself and control my own world and not have anyone dictate things to me because I think I'm a very visionary person.

But why I am discouraged about the website or blog creating, is that tons of websites and blogs are in Nigeria already and when i check dozens of them out, they barely have comments, views or traffic. It seems guests are used to popular websites like lindaikeji blog and nairaland.com so I'm discouraged about wasting time and resources on something that won't be fruitful like dozens of them out there.

Are websites/blogs profiting? Will it generate income for me or go down the drain like all those I find? Or i should just channel my energy into writing articles on upwork and earn money, at least i'm guaranteed my accepted articles will be paid for.

Please assist me with words of advice. Is website/blog creating really worth it? A lot out there are really discouraging. How much can they really earn in the first few months?? I'd like to know.
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 6:35pm On Jul 25, 2020
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 25, 2020
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 7:11pm On Jul 25, 2020
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 28, 2020
[quote author=Selfpaiid post=92099987][/quote]

Thief scammer God will punish you
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 28, 2020
flyingpig:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much

Do both, learn SEO and make sure you pick a good niche (preferably marketing top tier countries) and not all these entertainment and music trash we see allover nairaland. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Winnerrrr(m): 1:09pm On Jul 28, 2020
Bro Flyingpig, How're you?

I'm an ardent follower of your diary.

My suggestion will be, you should make freelancing your main hustle and blog part-time.

Some sites you should check for freelance writing gigs;

Problogger Jobs Board.
Fiverr (study the front page guys in your niche, get their keywords and embed them in your description)
Freelancer.com.
PeoplePerHour.

On blogging.

Please avoid Music and Entertainment Niches, they're saturated and unprofitable.

Ask yourself, what do you have passion for, Health, Tech, Writing, Music e.t.c.

Decide on one thing and focus on it.

Open a Facebook Page and Run some Ads occasionally.

The World Is Yours Bro.

2 Likes

Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Bloghomies(m): 10:23pm On Jul 28, 2020
Like others have suggested, I would advise doing both.

Writing will give you immediate finance to sustain yourself, while blogging will secure your future.

Blogging is not easy! You need to know a great deal about SEO, Keyword research, and a little technical knowledge.

Above all, you'll need patients since result takes time.

I wrote a comprehensive article on how to start a blog.. You might need to check it out on Bloghomies.com

Wishing you success!

2 Likes

Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2020
[

I appreciate the fact you guys seek info and knowledge but you all seemed to be obessessed with that danielhouston.

On another hand he did a wonderful job but on the other hand what he is doing is encouraging Nigerians and future who could have made a positive change for their motherland leave the country.

You spoke about his command of English i have uncles who went to the US in the 1970s but can still speak Ibo till now.

My sis that has stayed there over 10years speaks Ibo and English fluently so whats the hype he can write English well.

He said there is no black Doc in Germany,my uncle who also left Naija in the 70s,married whites twice is a renowned Surgeon in Germany so know he doesnt know all and he should accept that.

Hope you see the angle am coming from,have in mind his thread was educative and entertaining but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion rightly or wrongly.

Thanks.

quote author=flyingpig post=91870518]Hi guys,

Thank you very much[/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[

I appreciate the fact you guys seek info and knowledge but you all seemed to be obessessed with that danielhouston.

On another hand he did a wonderful job but on the other hand what he is doing is encouraging Nigerians and future who could have made a positive change for their motherland leave the country.

You spoke about his command of English i have uncles who went to the US in the 1970s but can still speak Ibo till now.

My sis that has stayed there over 10years speaks Ibo and English fluently so whats the hype he can write English well.

He said there is no black Doc in Germany,my uncle who also left Naija in the 70s,married whites twice is a renowned Surgeon in Germany so know he doesnt know all and he should accept that.

Hope you see the angle am coming from,have in mind his thread was educative and entertaining but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion rightly or wrongly.

Thanks.

quote author=flyingpig post=91870518]Hi guys,

Thank you very much
rawhumper, how is this your reply relevant to my thread and the help that I am seeking undecided
Why not go and lay down your thoughts on "his" thread if you have any disagreements with his opinions undecided
I'm sending down your reply to that thread so you'll get adequate response you deserve. angry
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 1:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
[

Its not about personalities,i totally dont appreciate the encouragement he gives our guys to leave.

Are you his lap dog?

You did very well to post my comment there,you can cry all you want but i must express how i feel to you and to anybody and will always welcome whatever that will be thrown at me.

You must know i followed his thread from day one till now so dont try to educate me about it.

What annoys me most is how rigid he is to criticisms,he wont make a good leader though he may have good intentions but he lacks real discpline,he seems to hide his true character but i guess in real life he be another man.

quote author=flyingpig post=92772858]rawhumper, how is this your reply relevant to my thread and the help that I am seeking undecided
Why not go and lay down your thoughts on "his" thread if you have any disagreements with his opinions undecided
I'm sending down your reply to that thread so you'll get adequate response you deserve. angry[/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 4:24pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[

Its not about personalities,i totally dont appreciate the encouragement he gives our guys to leave.

Are you his lap dog?

You did very well to post my comment there,you can cry all you want but i must express how i feel to you and to anybody and will always welcome whatever that will be thrown at me.

You must know i followed his thread from day one till now so dont try to educate me about it.

What annoys me most is how rigid he is to criticisms,he wont make a good leader though he may have good intentions but he lacks real discpline,he seems to hide his true character but i guess in real life he be another man.

quote author=flyingpig post=92772858]rawhumper, how is this your reply relevant to my thread and the help that I am seeking undecided
I'm sending down your reply to that thread so you'll get adequate response you deserve. angry

First of all, learn how to quote very well. Why is your comment inseparable with my original post. Do you know how to use a computer? angry
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 4:29pm On Aug 13, 2020
[
Because twits are those that dont understand the word flexibility while twigs are those that like to swim in the ocean of self delusion.

That your answer bro. cool

quote author=flyingpig post=92779266]

First of all, learn how to quote very well. Why is your comment inseparable with my original post. Do you know how to use a computer? angry[/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 4:35pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[
[s]Because twits are those that dont understand the word flexibility while twigs are those that like to swim in the ocean of self delusion.

That your answer bro. cool
[/s]
I'm not your bro
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2020
She male i guess,let me think.....ummmm i think you really get better chance as gay in the refugee camp since you are desperate to travel out,lol!

Lwkmd...dont mind me buddy i cant stop laughing when i see silly and senseless comments.

Anyways goodluck with your flying as a pig(with the stench oozing out from you,will anyone give u listening ear?) while i hump my way thru bro cool

Better wake up and understand my point,its for your own good.

quote author=flyingpig post=92779548]I'm not your bro [/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 4:42pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[s]She male i guess,let me think.....ummmm i think you really get better chance as gay in the refugee camp since you are desperate to travel out,lol!

Lwkmd...dont mind me buddy i cant stop laughing when i see silly and senseless comments.

Anyways goodluck with your flying as a pig(with the stench oozing out from you,will anyone give u listening ear?) while i hump my way thru bro cool

Better wake up and understand my point,its for your own good.
[/s]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 4:53pm On Aug 13, 2020
[

I have been against nigerians leaving and running away from their country,instead to come together and put a stop to the corrupt system.

You are here talking about well organized systems of other countries.

Am not here to make mouth my family has a community in the US,take or leave it.

I have a white nurse as my in-law,i have many ways i can travel out,but i didnt encourage them to make my papers its when one shows interest they can start the process.if i want, think am bragging.
Am saying it to let you know am not a lowlife but have better chances.

If i wanted to travel it would have been 13years ago,but i chose to stay and iron it out here....its for the sake of our generations we must not abandon our noble cause.

You have your freedom of movement but of what benefit does your country at large derieve from it?

Let everybody wake up and know running out of the countrt wont save them.

quote author=flyingpig post=92779740][/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 4:59pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[s]I have been against nigerians leaving and running away from their country,instead to come together and put a stop to the corrupt system.

You are here talking about well organized systems of other countries.

Am not here to make mouth my family has a community in the US,take or leave it.

I have a white nurse as my in-law,i have many ways i can travel out,but i didnt encourage them to make my papers its when one shows interest they can start the process.if i want, think am bragging.
Am saying it to let you know am not a lowlife but have better chances.

If i wanted to travel it would have been 13years ago,but i chose to stay and iron it out here....its for the sake of our generations we must not abandon our noble cause.

You have your freedom of movement but of what benefit does your country at large derieve from it?

Let everybody wake up and know running out of the countrt wont save them.

[/s]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by Rawhumper(m): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2020
grin grin cheesy grin grin
cheesy grin grin grin grin grin you can do that again bro.

[quote author=flyingpig post=92780249][/quote]
Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by flyingpig: 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rawhumper:
[s] grin grin cheesy grin grin
cheesy grin grin grin grin grin you can do that again bro.
[/s]

Re: Between Writing Articles On Upwork Or Owning A Blog/website by bet9ja(m): 10:20am On Aug 14, 2020
flyingpig:
Hi guys,

Thank you very much

I will advise you to focus on both. You may need to identify the reason many people failed with blogging. I am not a writer but i once had a website that generates N30, 000 every 5 months through google Adsense.

Here is what you can try: Create a website that sell contents for all your Gigs , integrate blog section and write more articles about your services.

I am open for a partnership if that is OK with you.

I am also looking for someone to write me articles monthly ( 5000 words ) for my new company: www.bakify.co.za

(1) (Reply)

Power BI Online Training Course / Job Application - Back End Software Engineer (node.js) with technical Exam / 9ja My Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.