Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA (49527 Views)

Federal University Dutsinma Bans Sunday Worship Services (Photos) / I’m Surprised ASUU Has Gone On Strike – Malam Adamu, Education Minister / Malam U.C. Aliu: AAU Lecturer Beats University Students Mercilessly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by maximunimpact(m): 8:38am On Jul 22, 2020
Horlayhemy:
Well said.
But have you also seen those who see opportunity but couldn't seize it because there's no financial support. All in all, destiny is above all.

destiny is over rated! Hustle hard and watch destiny bend to your will

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by maximunimpact(m): 8:39am On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:
Leave story, when it's your time it is your time, evenif you wear wrapper you go follow play for the match, if you dey sing rubbish people go dance, you go blow, if you dey say rubbish for mouth people go like am, you go blow. so forget, it's all about "time"

that "time" you talked about waits for no man
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by maximunimpact(m): 8:41am On Jul 22, 2020
Righteousness89:
Whatever you do in Life, Just Seek for God's Grace and Favor!

They will take you to Great Height in Life!

God's Favor will Qualify you where you are not Qualified!

that's nepotism bro
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by irichy100(m): 9:14am On Jul 22, 2020
childuptojoy:
This write-up was sent to me by one of my lecturers in school and I feel like sharing it on Nairaland

7 REASONS WHY DEGREE HOLDERS ARE POOR?
Writen by

*MALAM MAMUDA KABIR DUTSINMA*
1. I have a very painful truth to dish out to graduates out there: Your degree or certificate is not the cure to poverty; the cure to poverty is your ability to see and seize opportunities. In this Article, the word P.O.O.R means: Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly.

2. Dear Graduates, if somebody offers you an amazing opportunity, but you are not sure you can do it, say yes then learn how to do it later!, never should you say you don’t know. School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their creativity and ability to solve problems. School rewards caution; life rewards daring. School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones.

3. Being on top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life. The world is filled with poor graduates but rich opportunists! Kevin Ngo once said, “If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life you want, you’re eventually going to be forced to spend a lot of time dealing with a life you don’t want”.

4. Your certificates and degrees are meant to help you garner the experience and expertise needed to fulfill your dreams; they are not your destination! I have watched pitiably many graduates with degrees and certificates languishing in poverty looking for jobs that don’t even exist while people with keen eyes for opportunities reach the pinnacle of success in the most unlikeliest of ways.

5. Do you have a graduate or degree holder around you that is poor? I bet you have as they are everywhere! I have a very painful truth to dish out to graduates out there: Your degree or certificate is not the cure to poverty; the cure to poverty is your ability to see and seize opportunities.

BASICALLY, there are seven (7) reasons why degree holders are poor.

1. THEY DON’T THINK BEYOND THEIR CERTIFICATES

Albert Einstein said, “Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.” Have you ever heard creativity term “Think outside the box”? One of the major reasons why most graduates are poor is simply because they can’t see and think beyond their certificates.
I have seen engineering students work as bankers. I have seen medical doctors with great skills in web and graphic designs. I have seen lawyers that are very dexterous with finances. The list is endless!

The basic truth of life is that the skills that are needed to be much sought after and become more successful in life are not really found within the walls of the classrooms. Your certificate is just a proof that you are teachable, it does not suggest what you are totally capable of doing. You are full of possibilities when you think beyond your degrees and certificates.

2. THEY PRIORITIZE THEIR CERTIFICATES MORE THAN THEIR GIFTS AND TALENTS

I have often advised some of my colleagues, never to leave their gifts dormant while pursuing and hunting for jobs with their certificates. There must be a complementary balance in the pursuit of your passion and in the search for jobs.

Everybody is gifted for something, but the winning edge comes from our ability to work on our gifts and bless the world with it. The very best way to develop yourself is in the direction of your natural talents and interest. In order to live a fulfilled and impactful life, we need to work harder on our gift than our job. We need to discover our gift, develop it, and sell it. Don’t bury your TALENT with your certificates.

3. THEIR CERTIFICATES PREPARE THEM FOR A WORLD THAT NO LONGER EXIST

It has been found that most of the skills taught in schools are becoming obsolete in the present world. The world has changed a lot, and so are people’s need! It is imperative to know that the present form of university education does not prepare students for the future.

Graduates are becoming endangered species in the face of a changing world. Our archaic methods and approaches of learning are preparing graduates for a world that no longer exist, as we are churning out degree holders every year with certificates that have face value but no intrinsic worth. Most learning institutions are filled up with lecturers and pseudo-educators with lecture notes, methods and approaches that have lost relevance in a changing world.

4. THEY KNOW LESS ABOUT THEMSELVES BUT MORE ABOUT THINGS

Certificates and degrees don’t reveal people to themselves; they at most measure our IQ (Intelligent Quotient). I have often tell people that there is no Recovery without Discovery. A poor man is simply someone that has not discovered himself.

The more you discover yourself, the more you realize the treasures that are hidden deep within you. We carry inside ourselves latent treasures that can only be unveiled through self-discovery.

5. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES CAN KILL INITIATIVES

Degrees and certificates can close up your minds to ideas while initiatives open it up. If you are not careful, your degrees and certificates can close up your mind. The purpose of education is to keep your mind perpetually opened towards limitless possibilities!

Fred Smith saw an opportunity for overnight delivery of anything anywhere in the USA, and ultra- fast delivery anywhere in the world, FedEx was born. It will be interesting to know that Fred Smith got a grade “C” in a Yale economics class for an idea that the professor belittled as unworkable.
Fred Smith’s company became the first American business to make over ten billion dollars in annual profit. Beginning with just 186 packages delivered the first night, FedEx now delivers in over two hundred countries using over 6,030 aircraft, 46,000 vehicles and 141,000 employees.

6. DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES POSITION YOU TO LOOK FOR JOBS AND NOT FOR OPPORTUNITIES

Our certificates and degrees prepare graduates to look for jobs and not open our eyes to life-changing opportunities. You are not poor because you don’t have a job; you are poor because you are not seeing and seizing opportunities.

Being POOR is simply Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly! What keeps people ahead in life is not their education or degrees, it is simply the opportunity that they seized. Jobs may be scarce but not opportunities.

As long as there is a problem to be solved, there will always be opportunities. It is a waste of our education, exposure, and experiences if after we graduate from school, all we think about is searching for a job. An enlightened and educated mind should be able to see and seize opportunities.

7. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES PREPARE PEOPLE TO LOOK FOR SECURITY AND NOT TO TAKE RISKS

We must be willing to make mistakes and take breakthrough risks. Taking risks and learning from mistakes help us in knowing what works and what does not! When Thomas Edison was being questioned by a mischievous journalist on how he felt for having failed for 999 times before getting the idea of the light bulb, his response stunned the whole world when he confidently said, “I have not failed 999 times, I have only learned 999 ways of how not to make a light bulb”.

Many graduates and degree holders are becoming progressively poor because the skills required in the modern world to get rich are not taught in schools and institutions. By 2025, we’ll lose over five million jobs to automation. This means that future jobs will look vastly different by the time many people graduate from the university.

Future jobs will involve KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION/CREATION and innovation, and people that are only equipped with skills found in the classroom will definitely be a misfit in an ever-changing world. Skills like critical thinking, creativity, people’s skill, STEM skills (e.g Coding), complex problem-solving skills etc. are central to living a more comprehensive and productive life.

8 THEREFORE, in conclusion, My humble and candid advice to graduates and students in institutions is to think wide, deep and outside the box. Take volunteer jobs, and don’t be afraid to navigate fields that are different from your field of learning. Your future career will require you to pull information from many different fields to come up with creative solutions to future problems.

Start by reading as much as you can about anything and everything that interests you. Once you get to college, consider double majoring or minoring in completely different fields. Trust me, it’ll pay off in the long run.

Don’t limit yourself to the classroom. Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail; that’s a better entrepreneurship. Contest an election and lose. It will teach you something political science will not teach you. Attend a seminar. Read books outside the scope of your course.

Think less of becoming an excellent student, but think more of becoming an excellent person. Don’t make the classroom your world, but make the world your classroom. Step forward and try something extra. Invest in something you believe! Real financial security and freedom is not in your job, but in your passion, gifts, talents, and your ability to see and seize opportunities.

Writer by
MALAM MAMUDA KABIR DUTSINMA
One of the very best I have seen on nairaland. Very inspiring....
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Observer11: 9:19am On Jul 22, 2020
Horlayhemy:
Well said.
But have you also seen those who see opportunity but couldn't seize it because there's no financial support. All in all, destiny is above all.
don't also forget that your destiny is in your hands
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Sirwallace(m): 9:30am On Jul 22, 2020
Someone7:
This write up looks like it's by someone who failed in school.

Young people don't be deceived. If you're in Uni, do your best. Hardwork WILL be rewarded. Not everyone must learn 'handwork' or be an entrepreneur. I have colleagues who work for international organizations and they earn 3-4m per month. This is just salary o! Allowances are there. And 2 of them were 1st class students.

Don't be deceived, hard work and diligence is rewarded. You worked for your certificate. Let it work for you!

I am depending on my certificate along with skills I learnt on the job and it has opened doors for me. I am earning far more than I can spend every month And I got the job without "long leg".

Again don't be deceived. If you don't want to go to school, find an alternative. If you go to college/uni, be the best you can be.

he made some valid point but what I find wrong with his article is the way he rubbished degree holders. there is nothing wrong in working without certificate but working all in the name of hustle without clear career path is a wasteful hustle.

what I would advice for any degree holders is to sharpen their skills in today's needed skills. forget about your practicals in college of medicine and complex mathematics you were thought in school, ICT has a huge opportunities to get you sorted.

database management
software/web development
graphic designs
data science

are great niche you can pick your interest.
remember, it can only get worse before it gets better.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Stillthebest: 9:32am On Jul 22, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:

go and sit down!
you dey yarn rubbish
Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness.
Nobody is born with it

Your father is yarning rubbish. That's if he is not one you Tip toe to wake him up.

Must you reply in a frustrated manner because u dont support my views
Half baked, lack of home training idiotic bastard.

So i must spill everything I know about success in a a simple post to convince your dingbat type?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Rushna27(f): 10:01am On Jul 22, 2020
nice write up with legit content but not applicable to all graduates...... most graduate are productive and creative. we Ave most graduate working in areas dat is not dia field related............ adaptability has taught us ways of diversity.....
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by One4me: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2020
Poorly educated (those who went to the University but learned nothing! grin ) and stark illiterates are jumping up and down trying to riddicule Degree holders.
The CERTIFICATE is just a Small Piece of Paper, a very, very important piece of Paper that Certifies to others, that you have put-in the hardwork of acquiring knowledge in a structure environment of a University and anyone you show it to, can work on the initial assumption that you are a graduate, then you have to prove to such person that you actually learned something useful in that University.

They forget that it is not the Certificate that is the problem in Nigeria, it is the corrupt leaders that fail to provide the enabling environment for such graduates to prosper!

It is the DUTY of the Govt, through POLICY and IMPLEMENTATION, to provide Basic Inftrastructure like Electricity, Roads, Water, Network Backbone (in conjunctio with Telecoms Compnaies) Safety and Security of Lives/Property. Thats all.
Then let the people blossom and use their acquired knowledge to pruduce goods and services.

That is how it is done in other places where you will never hear one idiot come online to write rubbish about education.
In sane countries, even people who have made a lot of money, are still clamouring to get a University certificate or its equivalent.

I watched where an old woman in the USA makes Face Masks and Posts it out in an ORDINARY ENVELOPE, to friends and customers and they recieve it intact. The whole process is SAFE AND SECURE.
Now, if you do that in Nigeria (where you can still find a Post Office grin ) it will certainly be stolen at the Post Office or by a Post man.

So, if that Successful woman in the US is brought to Nigeria, she would become a Failure, tha is how Govt Policies and Actions affects the success of her citizens

No one is expecting the Govt to baby-feed them but nstead of these brazen looting as we have everywhere, from EFCC to NDDC, to COVID-19 PTF, to Governors, to the President and his fronts, etc............ play your part and stop calling them lazy Yoots.

Even small, small African countries are leaving us behind.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by pipedraft: 10:04am On Jul 22, 2020
Stop searching for white collar jobs, become a consultant in ground water exploration, waste water treatment, Geophysical Survey.. Enrol for the forth coming training on Groundwater exploration (Resistivity Survey) @ Geoken Tech Services.
Call. 08060360538

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by zunnurain33(m): 10:10am On Jul 22, 2020

I have seen lots of opportunities but couldn't seize it because of certificate and also seen many without certificates or any ability, creative but given. You're wright, destiny is above all.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:10am On Jul 22, 2020
Stillthebest:

Your father is yarning rubbish. That's if he is not one you Tip toe to wake him up.

Must you reply in a frustrated manner because u dont support my views
Half baked, lack of home training idiotic bastard.

So i must spill everything I know about success in a a simple post to convince your dingbat type?

YOU MUST BE A STUPID IDIOT!!!
JUST LOOK AT THIS USELESS POOR STUPID FOOL!
I AM VERY SURE YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY MEMBERS STARTING FROM YOUR USELESS DRUNK FATHER AND PROSTITUTE MOTHER ARE BUNCH OF DISAPPOINTMENT TO THE SOCIETY!!!

YOUR USELESS PARENTS COULD NOT RAISE YOU PROPERLY. HOW COULD THEY? WHEN YOUR FATHER WAS BUSY MOVING FROM ONE BEER PARLOR TO ANOTHER AND YOUR MOTHER WAS BUSY DISTRIBUTING HER SLACKED WORN-OUT STINKING PUSSY FROM ONE END OF THE TOWN TO ANOTHER.

YOU JUST NEED TO GO HANG YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY A CORPSE WALKING. YOUR END IS NEAR, YOU STINKING BASTARD!!!

VERY SOON LITTLE BOYS WILL START INSERTING STICKS INSIDE THAT SLACKED ROTTEN TOTO OF YOUR MAMA!!!

GOAT!!!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Stillthebest: 10:18am On Jul 22, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:

I AM VERY SURE YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY MEMBERS STARTING FROM YOUR USELESS DRUNK FATHER AND PROSTITUTE MOTHER ARE BUNCH OF DISAPPOINTMENT TO THE SOCIETY!!!

YOUR USELESS PARENTS COULD NOT RAISE YOU PROPERLY. HOW COULD THEY? WHEN YOUR FATHER WAS BUSY MOVING FROM ONE BEER PARLOR TO ANOTHER AND YOUR MOTHER WAS BUSY DISTRIBUTING HER SLACKED WORN-OUT STINKING PUSSY FROM ONE END OF THE TOWN TO ANOTHER.

YOU JUST NEED TO GO HANG YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY A CORPSE WALKING. YOUR END IS NEAR, YOU STINKING BASTARD!!!

VERY SOON LITTLE BOYS WILL START INSERTING STICKS INSIDE THAT SLACKED ROTTEN TOTO OF YOUR MAMA!!!

GOAT!!!

Look at this nincompoop shouting. You have been so deluded and lost your sanity.

Not surprised. Your useless mama didn't raise you well. Because it is all over you.

She is so useless that you are advertising your stupidity here in portraying of the clan you came from .

The pained farm tool was so hurt that she thinks writing her gibberish and balderdash in caps will captivate my attention.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Sparks18: 10:18am On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:
Leave story, when it's your time it is your time, evenif you wear wrapper you go follow play for the match, if you dey sing rubbish people go dance, you go blow, if you dey say rubbish for mouth people go like am, you go blow. so forget, it's all about "time"

Lol,Bros be waiting on your time and don't hustle or get out of your comfort zone, e go shock you. MR Time
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by ekerintee: 10:19am On Jul 22, 2020
wman:
For every degree holder that is poor, there are far more illiterates that are poorer.
Getting education does not have to be through university.the problem in Nigeria is everybody wants to go to university.we have so much universities and so much universities graduates but little job.we blame government for everything,most of the things taught in the university are out of date.i am not saying university degrees are bad but d most important thing is for everyone to add some skills to the degree,if you are an engineer,u need to know have some skills in addition to your degree,gather experrience ,money comes later .in Nigeria ,it's money first .in the civilized world ,education is continuous and people keep training and retraining even after finishing university.imaginr sombody in Nigeria finished university about 10 years ago,no further training and still calls himself a graduate.lots if things have changed and new technology are coming up,new softwares and the Nigerian youth must update themselve with the world events.the government can't provide all the jobs for people.Abroad,the government only provide basic amenities,they are not the major employers ,we shud not be shouting bad government up and down but rise up to help outself by ensuring we vote good people who can give us a favourable environment for business,provide capital and loans for graduates to start business

Education remains the best bet out of poverty. Education opens up more opportunities for you and give you more options.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't hustle hard when you need to.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Stillthebest: 10:22am On Jul 22, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:

GOAT!!!

Your own toto must have been so rotten due to excessive drilling of your wounded hole that serves as a tool to feed you.

Just do yourself a favour by inserting your stick-like finger in that rotten hole then smell it. It rotten onion smell huh! What a stench!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by ekerintee: 10:25am On Jul 22, 2020
All over the world ,people with university certificate are placed over those with none and earn more .even abroad,I have seen lots of job that ask for experienced professionals.so experrience and skills added to your degree makes way.not just certificate which is mere paper

lefulefu:
if u have a college degree(university degree) in the US u are more better paid than the ones who graduated from high school.Many americans have the desire of going to college but then going to college in the US is quite expensive even for the average american except he or she gets a scholarship.An american parent who has a big business of his own but wasnt lucky to have a college education would want his son or dauther to get a college education so when he or she graduates and maybe the parent retires he or she can take over the business and hjis or her education can improve on the business.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by walkwithgod(m): 10:34am On Jul 22, 2020
obonujoker:
Lol... I dropped my MSc in Mechanical Engineering as work no gree come and enter the streets... Now I'm into real estate and industrial cleaning, and I have met unbelievable opportunities

Will still go back to engineering practice after I have enough to start up especially in HVAC

How much do HVAC Technicians earn here in Nigeria and is it a hot demand skill ?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by OfficialSam(m): 10:37am On Jul 22, 2020
Following
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:45am On Jul 22, 2020
Stillthebest:

Your own toto must have been so rotten due to excessive drilling of your wounded hole that serves as a tool to feed you.

Just do yourself a favour by inserting your stick-like finger in that rotten hole then smell it. It rotten onion smell huh! What a stench!

SHUT UP!
CONDEMNED slowpoke!!!
slowpoke
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by obonujoker(m): 11:22am On Jul 22, 2020
walkwithgod:

How much do HVAC Technicians earn here in Nigeria and is it a hot demand skill ?

I think an entry level grad earns between 70-90k, however if you are able to secure a contract of installing HVAC, that should go into millions
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by zurielsam(m): 11:50am On Jul 22, 2020
abbey621:

Read the post very well this is not about illiterates, it is about those who put all their hopes in certificates rather than skills to solve problems. Job openings in 9ja is less than 30% of the amount of yearly graduates. What will happen to the 70%? Nobody wants to farm even tho it is guaranteed that tomatoes, rice will increase in price yearly. Nobody wants tolearn importation, even tho people in places like USA are dying for cow skin, dried fish and so on. It's like we attend school to become more educated but less useful.....lol.

Oga mi do you know you just opened my eyes to something now??
God bless you egbon
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by afroxyz: 11:53am On Jul 22, 2020
Horlayhemy:
Well said.

You have started giving excuse like most graduates.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MansoryMX(m): 11:55am On Jul 22, 2020
QuinieR:

Hmmm interesting,going to class by 4am embarassed

750 students admitted into a department, given a hall fitted for 250 capacity. Some people refuse to come for lectures the whole session. I saw terrible things going to lectures 4am 3 times a week inside cold mornings on top bike. We go gather for school wait dey wait make 5am reach for security to open school gate. Another one na tuning to the class to secure sit. In the end only 143 graduated and still no job till date. I hate Nigeria embarassed
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by afroxyz: 11:55am On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:

As usual another graduate trying to rationalize failure. School has really done bad to our mental capacity. How would you know it's your 'time' if you don't do something? Even when your 'time' comes, how would you benefit from it's fortunes if you are not engaged or doing something?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MansoryMX(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2020
Donald7610:
Your certificate still useless abroad

You'll need all said here over there

Definitely bro. I will have to spend another 3 years or more in school over there and man don dey get grey hair for balls

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Haywhymido(m): 11:59am On Jul 22, 2020
afroxyz:

As usual another graduate trying to rationalize failure. School has really done bad to our mental capacity. How would you know it's your 'time' if you don't do something? Even when your 'time' comes, how would you benefit from it's fortunes if you are not engaged or doing something?
Do you have comprehension problem? the examples i cited above were they doing nothing?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by rapcy(m): 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
MansoryMX:
What are you trying to say now because one minute y’all will say Education is the key? Of what use is going to school if you cannot practice your profession or make use of your certificate. Hellooooooo! Are you okay, Are you normal. Instead of you to fight for your right as a graduate you are here giving reasons why you are poor as a certificate holder? Na your teeth you wan use invest or go into entrepreneurship? Yes you, I am talking to you! Na wa o??

School has made a lot of people rich in overseas. People who just went for 3years courses, just 3 years! My elder sister was a dropout here in Naija. She struggled and traveled to Florida. Did a 3 years course in nursing. Today she has built more than 4 houses here in Nigeria. The Op, The mod who pushed this rubbish to Fp and all of you in support are all mad. You can’t tell me after going to lectures 4am just to secure a sit to enable me avoid standing outside window for 4 good years in school is a waste. God nova punish una reach for this country o! Una go suffer die. I pray my visa is approved so I can leave abeg. Make una continue to dey justify nonsense. Motivational speaking kee u there! Rubbish angry

Someone is giving valuable advice you're talking your own. How many graduates are busy roaming the streets of Nigeria without any hope of getting employed. You're comparing Nigeria with overseas. Baba the man spoke well. Don't discourage others from seeing the light in what he said
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MansoryMX(m): 12:06pm On Jul 22, 2020
eagleonearth:
you're wrong here. OP is only encouraging you to think outside the box. The Mary Kay cosmetics you hear about is a billionaire in the US and a lady who never used any certificate any day. Look at where you can be and not where you are at the moment. Facebook and WhatsApp cum Instagram, you know the story nah. I'm a graduate with a good certificate but I'm not making use of it at the moment and I've raised money to marry and start a family. Appreciate every advice that come your way and don't be close minded pls. Try listening to many rich men worldwide speak, they will tell you same thing this write up said. Peace...

I have a little company with 5 employees working for me, a Facebook and Instagram company page. Married, no kids yet and a personal house I live in. All these I achieved on my own without the use of certificate and even before I graduated from school. Don’t get me wrong but we deserved more in this country. All the 4am classes is just a waste of time. I know a lot of my fellow classmates who are security guards, Keke riders, kiosk owners, POS kiosk and hair makers. Is this the kind of life an average graduate with excellent certificates should be living in Nigeria? The only option a jobless graduate can venture into is entrepreneurship and it’s not cheap. Skill acquisition isn’t cheap as well. My comment speaks for thousands of jobless youth who have no means of getting capital even if they intend to go into entrepreneurship. As for skill acquisition through internet, forex, freelancers. You and I know that shiit ain’t easy at all.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by icankel: 12:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
Chai, after spending 4 to 5 good years in University then 1year NYSC some people advice us to go back to d village and start farming. This life no balance at all
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by 4FACEADELEKE(m): 12:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
zunnurain33:

I have seen lots of opportunities but couldn't seize it because of certificate and also seen many without certificates or any ability, creative but given. You're wright, destiny is above all.

I swear one of my guy lamented how many great opportunities he had missed all because he has no certificate.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by MrAkata: 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2020
jojoseph:

Why do you think is not applicable everywhere? Here in U.S. most non degree holder makes more money than degree holder. Majority of Nigerians in U.S. do menial jobs with their degrees, such as washing dishes in a restaurants, driving taxis with PhD, and Ms. degrees.
The write-up is applicable all over the world.

First of all it's a lie that majority Nigerians do menial jobs with their degrees. You need to add more context to that statement.

1) Are the degrees they have from accredited universities ? There is also a heirachy in degrees in America.

2) What you majored in plays a huge role also. Some degrees/majors in America are basically useless while others are like All Access VIP tickets.

3) Has the person completely finished his schooling. It's common to see a person w/ a degree working in Starbucks. The reason is because they may be working towards their masters or PhD. They would rather take a part time job with flexibility so that they are able to spend more time on their studies.

4) The person may very well be lying. A lot of Nigerians in the US lie about their credentials. That taxi man or security guard could very well be lying about his degrees. I've seen a lot of people with fake degrees in the US. A lot of people honestly were tricked and didn't know and some thought they could trick the system.

That leads me into the problem with this post and why this isn't applicable in the US. The biggest problem is believing you that if you are offered an opportunity and can't do it then you should lie and take the job.

1 ) This only bleeps it up for not only other Nigerians but black Americans as well. I understand Nigerians don't understand the concept of being black because you weren't raised in America. The reality is MOST white people could care less if u are Nigerian, Jamaican or Black American in their eyes you are BLACK. So that will affect the next black person looking for an opportunity.

2 ) It will only make it harder for you in the long run. You will constantly have to relocate yourself or reinvent yourself. America is a small place as big as it may seem. You screw up one place and it will haunt you forever. Everything goes off of resumes and referrals and they have databases depending on your industry. Once your name comes up in the BBB as being sheisty or a liar then you will have to change your name if u want anymore opportunities.

3 ) it's not necessary to lie. If you are honest a lot of people will still hire you. You may not make as much but they'll put u in a position to learn what they want to know. Some people like training you from the ground up because you won't bring your bad habits to their business. It's an "you can't teach a dog new tricks mentality " but you can train a puppy to your liking.

A degree is not necessary to succeed necessarily but this is bullshit. I just finished my degree and i made more when i didn't have it at. I was making 80k fresh out of high school with no degree and doubled that over the years.

The problem is when that industry slowed down and i was tired of it I was stuck. I pigeonholed myself and had to go back to school.

A good degree offers you longevity and security.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cultism, Why, Effects, And How To Curb The Menace / Girl Seen Reading Beside The Gutter With Street Light (PHOTO) / University Of Ibadan Closed Over Rusticated 500l Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.