Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,446 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

What I Noticed In The South East! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Noticed In The South East! (405 Views)

What I Noticed In The Streets Of Lagos Since Tinubu Was Declared Winner. / What I Noticed On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / What I Noticed Today When I Observed Public Waste Bin In Less Than One Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Noticed In The South East! by bigpicture001: 10:17am On Jul 21, 2020
Using Anambra state as a case study... I had very good reason to spend alot of time in the state capital-awka last year and trust me,as a street guy I didn't just sit back and relax in a cool A. C room, instead I mingled with lots of people from. Betting shops, barber shops, restaurants, bars etc I have Com to notice alot of changes from the last time I visited the state capital...

1. Awka is still a small town: yes it is. But it is fast becoming a reference point of southeastern youth university graduates who doesn't have any ties with Lagos. They cluster there and try to create somthing outta nothing.

2. Awka is fast becoming metropolitan: once here you will be amazed as to how much languages you hear people speak on the streets. Yorubas have grown so much in number most selling traditional medicine and the rest sewing native attires and seriously cashing in, e onyi state indigenes litter the state as kek drivers mini mart sellers etc. Another tribe of note are the kogi people they are so mu h that you might want to assume this is lokoja and that is especially in the transportation busisness

3. All houses are owned by igbos: In as much as there is no ban placed on non-igbis land purchase, Igbos still own 100% of houses in the south east.. I ask why that is to a very successful kogi state lecturer whose yoruba wife controls a a very large and hugely patronized raw food stuff super store... He said nothing, and that he has been in awka for over 20years when he got a job as a lecturer at unizik.. But felt this place is not his home, although not beacaus eof intimidation, but he oreffetes to stay on rent as long as he lives here.. He said he would rather build in lokoja

4. The govt is not aggressive about taxation :this I learnt from an Edo state friend who runs a big lesson center. He confided in me that for over 4years of entrepreneurship in awka, nobody has knocked on his door for taxes except for some thugs who try to dupe him of money atimes

There are not much standard secondary schools. This baffled me as Anambra continues to be in top brackets of WASCE performers over the year. This does not mean there is st at all.. But for a capital town. It should litter the state.

5. Houses are unecessarily too expensive. Real estate is quite very expensive in Awka. As a good self contain goes for between 170 and 180k. Yes, you might want to say its relatively cheap, but the issue is that there are no very high earning jobs in awka, no oil coys, no multinational coys etc just hospitals, labs, banks and the varsities that can pay even higher than 60k, so that is why I say the rents are too high

Well, if you stay around the south east you can add any other observations you deem necessary to let people know
Re: What I Noticed In The South East! by hopeforcharles(m): 10:24am On Jul 21, 2020
They are all about business. And it has improved their living status
Re: What I Noticed In The South East! by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 21, 2020
To add to your observation, Awka is the capital and as such the hub of Anambra. But the social activities running their is only found within the geographical areas surrounded by schools. If you check properly those investments are cited within the aroma junction. Nnwei and Onitsha is a well commercialize city, and with proper coordination by the state govt will make these key areas sore higher. (Road and Housing Infrastructure, Govt renowned schools in the rural communities, and ensuring that private owned business within these places pay recorded tax with VAT; plus a proper system of tax refund. Generally beyond the other eastern states all they need is collaboration with the FED Govt in funding the recreation of Eastern Region right after the civil war, which have claim most of the valuable history of these Nigerian Tribe.
Re: What I Noticed In The South East! by RuddyFusion(m): 10:50am On Jul 21, 2020
South East states are poor with taxes .....if they do improve on it as they do in Lagos, trust me most of it willl end up in private pockets in states like Anambra, Abia and Imo

(1) (Reply)

Ibrahim Magu's Submission To The Panel Investigating Him / Banditry: Blame Service Chiefs Not Buhari Says, Governor Masari / Attacks, Allegations Against Osinbajo Fabricated By Online Pests – Editorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.