|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,134,849 members, 7,749,033 topics. Date: Monday, 26 February 2024 at 06:11 PM
Igboho Didn't Surrender Himself - THE PUNCH Replies Igboho's Lawyer / Adebanjo Reveals Real Reason Behind Buhari’s New Attitude Towards Osinbajo / UPDATE: Tinubu Threw APC Flag towards Osinbajo During Ogun Rally (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)
|PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Joylove2324(f): 9:04am On Jul 22, 2020
Punch Nigeria Limited has refuted the claim by a firm, SimmonsCooper, that a story, ‘Osinbajo’s firm linked to company fingered in alleged N100bn Alpha Beta scam’, in the Saturday PUNCH of July 13, was born out of malice towards Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN).
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by IamWonderful: 9:07am On Jul 22, 2020
We know the story emanated from inviable Ebonyi
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by ghettokid1(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2020
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Jollylolly(f): 9:11am On Jul 22, 2020
STATEMENT BY SIMMONSCOOPER PARTNERS WITH RESPECT TO THE PUNCH’S DEFAMATORY PUBLICATION OF JULY 13TH 2019
1. SimmonsCooper Partners’ (“the Firm”) attention has been drawn to certain allegations, assertions and other false accusations made against her in the front page of the Punch Newspapers of July 13th 2019, titled “Osinbajo’s firm linked to company fingered in alleged N100bn Alpha Beta scam” (“the Publication”).
2. For the record, SimmonsCooper Partners refutes all the false allegations imputed against the firm, her members and persons currently or previously associated with the firm. The Publication singled out, not only SimmonsCooper Partners, but also Professor Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), a onetime senior partner and member of the firm, for public opprobrium.
3. The Publication contains untrue and highly defamatory statements towards the firm, some of which contain malicious falsehood. In doing so, defamatory statements are being communicated to millions of people throughout the world, diminishing the firm’s reputation and that of various individuals who have worked at, and continue to work, at SimmonsCooper Partners.
4. SimmonsCooper Partners states that it is not involved, in any shape or form, neither does it have a link with, the alleged tax evasion, money laundering, nor corruption claims alleged against any of the corporations identified in the Publication. For the avoidance of doubt, SimmonsCooper Partners has never retained a physical or correspondent address at “B5 Falomo Shopping Complex, South West Ikoyi, Victoria Island”. This address is copiously portrayed in the published CAC Form 2.1, purportedly, as proof of the linkage between the firm and the subject matter of the allegations, whereas, a cursory inquiry by Punch could have shown that this address is neither the firm’s registered address nor its principal office. The firm categorically states that it has never been retained by Ocean Trust Limited to offer secretarial services as alleged by Punch Newspapers or at all. As is custom with filings as Company Secretary, there is no acceptance letter by the firm consenting to the purported appointment, or any other filing undertaken by the firm as Company Secretary at the registry of the Corporate Affairs Commission.
5. The Publication seems designed to damage the reputation of SimmonsCooper Partners and its past and current members rather than have any fair comment basis. The Publication was a false statement of fact, intentionally published in print and on the Internet, to millions of people within Nigeria and around the world. The malicious intent is demonstrated by the fact that a public search at the Corporate Affairs Commission shows that Ocean Trust Limited has a subsisting company secretary that had been appointed since 2011, which fact was curiously left out by the Punch Newspapers in the Publication. We believe that the Punch Newspaper’s admission to “rush to press” with the Publication, was motivated by malice and calculated to cause harm to the firm and its past and current members.
6. Further, the imputation that offering professional services to a company, by itself, creates an association with alleged wrongdoing, is neither customary nor reasonable. We are certain that Punch Newspapers has external legal advisers who will not be taken to be privy to, or actors in, the defamation alleged herein, or indeed in other matters of liability that may arise in the course of running Punch’s business. Offering professional services, by itself, cannot be characterized as wrongdoing. The insinuation that the firm, its past and current members are somehow associated with alleged tax evasion, corruption, the suppression of investigation and obstruction of justice is not only unjustifiable and unreasonable, but also malicious in intent. Without more, the Publication has definitely held the firm up to scorn, ridicule, disgrace, and contempt in the minds of the readers of the Publication.
7. SimmonsCooper Partners, today, is a product of the combination of her members’ intellectual capital, industry and integrity garnered for several years. We are proud that Professor Osinbajo continues to epitomise these values even in public service. In line with international best practices, upon his election as Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Professor Osinbajo resigned his membership of the firm.
8. The firm is aggrieved by the wanton, mischievous and most unprofessional manner in which the Punch Newspapers has published the defamatory statements in the Publication. SimmonsCooper Partners intends to seek redress to the fullest extent available in law and has requested the Punch Newspapers to do all of the following:
• remove from publication in their entirety the defamatory publication and all online threads to prevent further harm to the Firm’s business;
• produce an apology and a declaration that the allegations referred to are false and defamatory and cause such apology and declaration to be published in each of the forums which have given or could give reason for our complaint (such apology to be approved by us prior to publication);
• provide details of the number of online posts made, together with website addresses;
• make proposals for the payment to us of damages for the harm caused to our reputation; and
• undertake to actively monitor and delete any newly published defamatory content relating to the Firm.
If the defamatory Publication and threads are not permanently removed and the above undertakings are not complied within the stipulated period, SimmonsCooper Partners reserves the right to undertake further action as appropriate.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Ayangalu2019(m): 9:16am On Jul 22, 2020
Journalism is becoming a joke in Nigeria, what takes Punch to do torough investigation before attaching the name of the VP into their nonsense? The same way Vanguard apologize to him the other time.
11 Likes 1 Share
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Maxymilliano(m): 9:34am On Jul 22, 2020
“If, as you now say, your registration with the CAC as Company Secretaries to Ocean Trust Limited was without your knowledge or consent, then, rather than making us the object of your umbrage for simply revealing what is in the CAC records to the public, it will sound more reasonable for your firm to take it up with:
Well stated and succinctly put by Punch News.
Rather than SimmonsCooper Partners resorting to cheap blackmail and trying to browbeat the news outlet into submission, why not channel your indignation to the appropriate quarters and correct the misinformation contained in the CAC record that linked all the aforementioned companies together ?
22 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by okefrancis: 9:36am On Jul 22, 2020
Thank God I don't bother myself to buy or read punch because it's full of lies and substandard
8 Likes 1 Share
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Slawormir: 9:43am On Jul 22, 2020
We won't conclude now but time will tell
But am sure as a real niggarrr that our mere house boy in Aso rock is up to something
Time will tell...if he was actually a star boy or one of those corrupt mere house boy
3 Likes 1 Share
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Igwe355(f): 9:44am On Jul 22, 2020
So much drama these days
Seman Metroplois Estate Lugbe Abuja is fast selling. Located directly behind Dunamis Glory Dome and beside River Park Estate along Airport road Abuja.
700sqm plot- N6, 5000,000 for 4 bedroom Duplex with boys quarters.
600sqm plot- N5,000,000 for 3 bedroom bungalow with Pent house, also with boys quarters.
500sqm plot- N4,500,000 for 3 bedroom bungalow with boys quarters.
Option for instalment payment available.
Guaranteed from issues and encumbrances.
We also partner with cooperatives to make purchase for its members at discounted rates.
Call now 080 3651 9974.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by oluwaseunamos33(m): 9:44am On Jul 22, 2020
good. but wait am comin..........
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by BizBayo: 9:44am On Jul 22, 2020
Infact, damnnnn nigarrrr
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by DARLINGTON869(m): 9:44am On Jul 22, 2020
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Infrabetatech: 9:45am On Jul 22, 2020
Just contact me
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by dalass(f): 9:46am On Jul 22, 2020
They want to spoil Osinbajos chances of ever vying for the Presidency before it can cross his mind at all
Na wa oh
5 Likes 1 Share
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Timinho23: 9:46am On Jul 22, 2020
The VP is fond of taking everything personal. am beginning to suspect him
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 22, 2020
There's no doubt that someone or some group of people are afraid of the rising profile of the amiable vice president.
His diligence, hard work and humility which has endeared him to the hearts of Nigerians has made him a target for the unscrupulous who wish to keep their filthy talons around the neck of Nigerians.
They are scared.
Expect even worse as 2023 crawls by.
10 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Dpharisee: 9:47am On Jul 22, 2020
Where are crew who always tell us about 16 years of PDP, they have been overwhelmed by the monumental fraud being perpetrated Under this Govt while they wait for Festus Keyamo and national assembly to conclude their bickering for them to apply for the new NPower menial jobs
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by CzarChris(m): 9:48am On Jul 22, 2020
Personally I don't believe in too much talk. If what was published by the Punch Newspapers is false, then sue them to the high heavens and clear your name. Are sure you are a Prof. of Law and a SAN at that? Sue them or forever hold your peace.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by freshkpomo(m): 9:49am On Jul 22, 2020
Together we can make Nigeria better
God bless Nigeria
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Chukwutobi: 9:49am On Jul 22, 2020
Did I see President Buhari and not General Buhari? Punch is beginning to compromise their standards.
Why is the law firm just responding. The publication is a year old.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Authoreety: 9:49am On Jul 22, 2020
OK. They replied
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by money121(m): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2020
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Fox12(m): 9:52am On Jul 22, 2020
In Every Nonsense there is Sense...
There is an iota of truth in an lie.
Facts don’t lie...if u’re called out for a misdemeanor and u know u’re wrongly picked,u simply present ur facts to refute it.
All dese public office holders need to declare dis Assets again.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by dalass(f): 9:53am On Jul 22, 2020
Its good to clean yourself of any mud that lowlifes try to smear you with. Else, they'll make it stick and other mudslinging idiots will join in the fray if you take it calmly...
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Amspecial: 9:55am On Jul 22, 2020
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by adenigga(m): 9:57am On Jul 22, 2020
What are you waiting for?
Spare us all this audio threat.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by DeLaRue: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2020
Being a Company Secretary does not mean you're involved in the day to day running of the company or that you have an interest in the company.
It simply means the lawfirm is their company lawyer.
|Re: PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo by Masterkernel1: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2020
The didn't notice your absence.
Oby Ezekwesili & BBOG Protest At Aso Rock Over Inability To Release Chibok Girls / Lagos Begins Rebuilding Igbosere Court House , Nigeria’s Oldest High Court / N35,000 Wage Award: You Betrayed Us, We’re Suffering – Workers To FG
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62