Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Hepatitis & Company Medicals? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hepatitis & Company Medicals? (5513 Views)

Am Hep B +ve, Been Invited For Pre-employment Medicals Test By A Multinational / Hepatitis And Company Employment In Nigeria / Tests Carried Out During Medicals For A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by maryslesso: 11:16am On Feb 08, 2011
Hello here, please I need useful info from people here.
I'm a chronic Hepatitis B patient, diagnosed two years ago but I'm quiet ok and hardly fals sick, but do regular checks and tests to watch it.

Now, I'm applying for job, I need useful information here based on you people's experience or experience of people you know or you work in Labs that do tests for companies or you work in HR and privy to information on this.

My questions:

1, Is Hepatitis B included in the medicals conducted for new recruits in organizations?
2, If yes, do companies disqualify based on this?
3, Specifically, I want to know for these companies:
-Banks
-Multinationals: Shell, Total, Mobil, Chevron etc
-Government organizations

I need this information asap please.

Thanks
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by modeM: 12:27pm On Feb 08, 2011
I can categorically say yes for PZ cos that was my experience from them, literally withdrew an offer made on the basis of that and my job role was management trainee, nothing to do with putting others at risk.

That said, I wouldnt expect enlightened companies like the ones you have listed to take things to that extreme cos its pure discrimination and its only in a country like Nigeria that we see people get away with all sorts of nonsense policies.

1 Like

Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by AjanleKoko: 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2011
Any company that requires HIV and drug use tests from you will likely not hire you if you have Hepatitis B. Definitely the oil companies will not hire you.
The reason is, your insurance premium is likely to be higher than the average. It's not about enlightenment, it's more about exigencies.
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by modeM: 8:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
Insurance premiums and exigencies That sounds lame to me.I know at least 3 people who are chronic hep b carriers and they were all subject to these same tests and all got the job with different multinationals; the only exception was one that was made to go through further tests in SA to check if it's an active or inactive chronic hep b but he was still hired regardless.

Being hep b positive doesn't necessarily mean your insurance premium will be high it's all decided on a case by case basis and it doesn't cost a fortune if the insurance company do offer to insure you so the whole insurance premium excuse makes no sense.how would you feel if you were the one rejected on the basis of your health when you are not even physically sick!
The funny twist to this while thing is you will be amazed at the no of people living with hep b in nig the only thin line is knowing and not knowing!

There are no 2 names to it than pure discrimination
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by Wallie(m): 10:56pm On Feb 08, 2011
Having Hepatitis B will definitely make your insurance premium go up when it comes time for renewal but the effect will be minimal in a large company because the increment will be averaged with healthy people. Insurance premium for anybody with a chronic disease will always be higher than a healthy person, all else being equal.

Health insurance is determined by age (older pays more), sex (women pays more), health history, occupation, and personal habits (weight gain, smoking etc).

I’m amazed that companies are requiring and disqualifying people based on results of generic medical tests instead of a doctor’s opinion as to whether or not you’re fit for the job. This is serious grounds for discrimination law suit in the US.
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by AjanleKoko: 8:56am On Feb 09, 2011
^^
Unfortunately, the companies will never let on that you're disqualified based on health grounds. That will definitely open the door to a class action suit, even in Nigeria. In a unionized environment, it would even spell bad publicity. What they do is just keep quiet and not get back to you with an offer.

I'm just letting the OP know what to expect, especially with the MNCs.
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by Liferace: 11:36am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^ you are very correct. Some companies will not hire especially the MNs while some will.

Even,some Countries will not give permanent residence to Hep B patients. Am sure of UAE and most GCC countries and i think China(am not sure).

All the best.
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by TheOne2(m): 12:06pm On Feb 20, 2011
@Ajanlekoko

For the first time on this forum (in my view), you are wrong. Oil companies don't refuse employment for any of the diseases highlighted here. In fact there are very strict policies especially for HIV/AIDS. These are international organizatioins and their policies are same everywhere. I know this because world AIDS day is a big do where I work and you are enlightened about policies and what the company has in place to take care of PLWHA.

When I was having my medicals some years ago I asked the doctor if they check for HIV and he said no. The only person that I knlow who had a problem with medicals had to do with a heart condition that required surgery. He went and got it done and today he's an employee.

Let's just say it's bad for the bottom-line for the company to disqualify based on those diseases (counterintuitive right, )
Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by tishat(f): 11:31am On Feb 28, 2011
Don't let any thing limit you in life,i am a contract staff in one of the leading oil companies in Nigeria and am HIV positive and i go for my medical screening every year and i have never been tested for HIV and we have a very strict HIV policy,NOBODY will test you without your consent in my company and if the law allows it,employment will not be denied based on it.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS.

2 Likes

Re: Hepatitis & Company Medicals? by AjanleKoko: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2011
The One:

@Ajanlekoko

For the first time on this forum (in my view), you are wrong. Oil companies don't refuse employment for any of the diseases highlighted here. In fact there are very strict policies especially for HIV/AIDS. These are international organizatioins and their policies are same everywhere. I know this because world AIDS day is a big do where I work and you are enlightened about policies and what the company has in place to take care of PLWHA.

When I was having my medicals some years ago I asked the doctor if they check for HIV and he said no. The only person that I knlow who had a problem with medicals had to do with a heart condition that required surgery. He went and got it done and today he's an employee.

Let's just say it's bad for the bottom-line for the company to disqualify based on those diseases (counterintuitive right, )

smiley smiley smiley
That is one thing I am happy to be wrong about. However, someone very close to me works in one of the Big 4(or is it 5?) MNOCs, and I'm well aware she was tested for both Hepatitis and HIV during her medicals. Hence my comments on the issue.

I also have someone in another one of those big companies who has Hep B, and is doing pretty well.

(1) (Reply)

Slt Vs Microbiology / Becomin A Lecturer In A Nigerian University / Nigeria Prison Service Commission Application Forms On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.