Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:43 PM

Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria (667 Views)

The Future Of Mental Health Therapy: Embracing Technology For Better Care / Senate To Establish Commission For Mental Health / Phytoscience Double Stem Cell Health Therapy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 8:22pm On Jul 23, 2020
What might be the most prevalent reason why people don't seek mental health care here in Naija? Please share your opinion。Thank you so much for participating

(A) But am not mad na!

(B) Let them not carry my gist far.

(C) I dont want them to hypnotize me

(D) Why do I need to pay a professional, when I can talk
to my friends.

(E) Therapy is for oyibo people.

(F) I can handle things myself.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by etrange: 8:24pm On Jul 23, 2020
Because Nigerians blame people for having mental health challenges. Even if you kill yourself, they'd still curse your dead body.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2020
etrange:
Because Nigerians blame people for having mental health challenges. Even if you kill yourself, they'd still curse your dead body.

Really? People with mental health challenges are blamed for it?

Please what's the blame about?
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Babacele: 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2020
Anything ' mental' in Nigeria means Madness. so the stigma is what is keeping people away. Abeg o..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2020
Babacele:
Anything ' mental' in Nigeria means Madness. so the stigma is what is keeping people away. Abeg o..

Agreed, stigma. I would like us to unpack this 'Stigma' and understand the underlying issues. And then try to debunk them.
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by yomi007k(m): 8:47pm On Jul 23, 2020
Because they are illiterates and educated illiterates.

Period!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by etrange: 8:49pm On Jul 23, 2020
Cydsessions7:

Really? People with mental health challenges are blamed for it?

Please what's the blame about?

I've seen someone who wanted to kill themselves cause of minor things like failing an exam and Nigerians on SN rained insults on them for being so weak minded and even called out their parents for bringing up such a spoilt child. However, the fact that someone decides to take his life cause of such a minor thing only suggests that such a person already has a high suicide tendency which could be as a result of many factors. The exam was just a trigger and anything else could also trigger it. Such a person needs help and not insults.

Nigerians are always quick to remind you that your problem is too little but they fail to realize that mental health has little to do with the immediate problem (this is just a trigger) but the state of mind of the individual. We take pride in being harsh.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 8:53pm On Jul 23, 2020
yomi007k:
Because they are illiterates and educated illiterates.

Period!

Really? How do you mean?
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 8:56pm On Jul 23, 2020
etrange:

I've seen someone who wanted to kill themselves cause of minor things like failing an exam and Nigerians on SN rained insults on them for being so weak minded and even called out their parents for bringing up such a spoilt child. However, the fact that someone decides to take his life cause of such a minor thing only suggests that such a person already has a high suicide tendency which could be as a result of many factors. The exam was just a trigger and anything else could also trigger it. Such a person needs help and not insults.

Nigerians are always quick to remind you that your problem is too little but they fail to realize that mental health has little to do with the immediate problem (this is just a trigger) but the state of mind of the individual. We take pride in being harsh.

This is a very insightful contribution. Thank you so much for sharing.

We Nigerian take pride in percieved resilience, and whip anyone who seems not to exhibit resilience levels that we have setup as up-to-par. Hmmm!

Thank you
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Babacele: 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2020
Cydsessions7:

Agreed, stigma. I would like us to unpack this 'Stigma' and understand the underlying issues. And then try to debunk them.
ok

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by luscioustrish(f): 9:29pm On Jul 23, 2020
Simply because majority of Nigerians know nothing about mental health and think it's madness

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by vickydankal(f): 9:48pm On Jul 23, 2020
I think Africans especially Nigerians are very quick in stigmatizing people, hence the fear for the word therapy or anything mental. It shows the level of our civilization and education. People who are depressed, heartbroken, suicidal thoughts, abuse drugs, addictions etc abroad go for therapy but here in Nigeria we leave everything for Man Of God.

How many pastors has been to therapy sessions or school there. They are doing excellently well with the little exposure they have, thank God for them but therapy is necessary. It doesn’t mean you are mad it means you are human who needs someone to help you balance mentally.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by HomerTimpson: 10:14pm On Jul 23, 2020
Because a patient can not cure a fellow patient
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 3:35am On Jul 24, 2020
luscioustrish:
Simply because majority of Nigerians know nothing about mental health and think it's madness

Hmmm!

There's been a lot of awareness creation about mental health in Nigeria. What do you suppose may be wrong with the message that may be causing Nigerians not to get it?

Is it the way it is delivered? Is it the channels of delivery? Is it the language of delivery? In your opinion, what could be the issue?
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 4:14am On Jul 24, 2020
vickydankal:
I think Africans especially Nigerians are very quick in stigmatizing people, hence the fear for the word therapy or anything mental. It shows the level of our civilization and education. People who are depressed, heartbroken, suicidal thoughts, abuse drugs, addictions etc abroad go for therapy but here in Nigeria we leave everything for Man Of God.

How many pastors has been to therapy sessions or school there. They are doing excellently well with the little exposure they have, thank God for them but therapy is necessary. It doesn’t mean you are mad it means you are human who needs someone to help you balance mentally.

Thank you for the angle you brought in. Stigma, religious people filling in the gap etc.

With therapy, there is the ethics of confidentiality, privacy etc. Is it possible that potential users of therapy are not aware of these ethics? These days even, many private practitioners do not label their work spaces with words that can frighten potential visitors. Also, the advent of Virtual consultations (through online means: Zoom, WhatsApp video or audio call etc) has given potential patronage of Therapy a means to personally control their privacy. I agree that more work has to be done to dissuade people from stigmatizing people with mental health issues. And this work has to focus on both individually-driven stigmatization (people who project prejudice and discrimination at people with mental health issues), as well as system-driven stigmatization (that is, prejudice and discrimination from work places, public utilities etc).

As for religious persons filling in the gaps, I do not know the rate of successful help they offer. Therapy is a skilled process, whether it is talk therapy or medication-based therapy. Requisite training is important, and anyone can aspire to get these training if they so choose. Helping people with mental health issues, or existential issues that impact mental health can and should be done systematically.

A very important aspect of this discussion hovers around the question, “at what point should a person consider subscribing for therapy?”

Is it when bits of depression, bits of anxiety etc have all linked up to create a chaos in the minds of people?

I think that people do not have to wait till they are an emotional mess before seeking psychotherapy. Talk therapy helps people make meaning of how their thinking patterns is contributing to their emotional wellbeing. If unhelpful patterns are observed, the practitioner will collaborate with the client to shift perspectives.

Thank you for the contribution smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Uyi168: 6:54am On Jul 24, 2020
Very poor enlightenment..

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 7:07am On Jul 24, 2020
Uyi168:
Very poor enlightenment..

There's been a lot of awareness creation about mental health in Nigeria. What do you suppose may be wrong with the message that may be causing Nigerians not to get it?

Is it the way it is delivered? Is it the channels of delivery? Is it the language of delivery? In your opinion, what could be the issue?
Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Babacele: 4:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
I think there is need for heavy and consistent advocacy about the advantage of seeking psychiatric therapy as most persons that have passed one stress or the other may need the medical help. Ask me if loud unsolicited noise from music boxes, cars, religious centres etc ; stolen or deliberately delayed emoluments; threats from landlords,family members or spouses; bad infrastructure and several abnormalities pervading Nigeria are not enough for many Nigerians to be ' mental'. Truth is, many Nigerians are ' mental'. That bus conductor and driver shouting and behaving as if they are under some drugs' influence no ' mental'? Abi na church members screaming at the top of their voices as if God is deaf, na them no dey 'mental'? Hehehe politician that is hiding N5b he can never spend finish inside toilet or ' soakaway' , no be im ' mental pass.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Cydsessions7: 4:44pm On Jul 24, 2020
Babacele:
I think there is need for heavy and consistent advocacy about the advantage of seeking psychiatric therapy as most persons that has passed one stress or the other may need the medical help. Ask me if loud unsolicited noise sources from music boxes, cars, religious centres etc ; stolen or deliberately delayed emoluments; threats from landlords,family members or spouses; bad infrastructure and several abnormalities pervading Nigeria are not enough for many Nigerians to be ' mental'. Truth is, many Nigerians are ' mental'. That bus conductor and driver shouting and behaving as if they are under some drugs' influence no ' mental'? Abi na church members screaming at the top of their voices as if God is deaf, na them no dey 'mental'? Hehehe politician that is hiding N5b he can never spend finish inside toilet or ' soakaway' , no be im ' mental pass.

You are right, the advocacy and awareness must continue, and loudly too.

Not all emotional issues tending towards dysfunction require the use of medication. That's why besides psychiatrists, they are psychologists and other practicing psychotherapists. Some cases require both medications and talk Therapy. Others may only require talk therapy.

Many people are scared or ashamed of the thought of visiting a mental health professional (stigma). Much work has to be done from the part of individuals in the society, and private and government institutions to eradicate or minimize stigma.

Our society has many actual and potential stress triggers capable of raising pressure in people's minds just as you highlighted. Psychotherapy can help people manage their emotions in the midst of these things. Remember, man is a meaning-making being.

Thanks for contributing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Avoid Seeking For Mental Health Therapy In Nigeria by Babacele: 5:21pm On Jul 24, 2020
Cydsessions7:

You are right, the advocacy and awareness must continue, and loudly too.

Not all emotional issues tending towards dysfunction require the use of medication. That's why besides psychiatrists, they are psychologists and other practicing psychotherapists. Some cases require both medications and talk Therapy. Others may only require talk therapy.

Many people are scared or ashamed of the thought of visiting a mental health professional (stigma). Much work has to be done from the part of individuals in the society, and private and government institutions to eradicate or minimize stigma.

Our society has many actual and potential stress triggers capable of raising pressure in people's minds just as you highlighted. Psychotherapy can help people manage their emotions in the midst of these things. Remember, man is a meaning-making being.

Thanks for contributing.
Absolutely right! if the HIV/AIDS stigma could be defeated, then hopefully a consistent campaign can defeat this stigma.

As our population explodes ,with Information technology making access to best practices somewhere else in the globe easily available, we would soon have to embrace mental therapies ' options or practices .

Partnership with government and NGOs, development outfits ,the press, the clergy and relevant private sectors would help.

For example, many churches running 'mental' homes would need volunteer experts like you for training on best approaches, cross pollination of ideas ,fund raising and patients ' post treatment realities.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Natural Cures And Remedy For Common Illness And Diseases / 12 Interesting Facts About The Nipple And How To Increase Nipple Size / I Need Help Am Dying, Graphic Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.