Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,754 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? (3222 Views)

Feral Cats Are Responsible For The Death Of Many Birds And Other Wildlife / How Can I Take Care Of This Turtle / How Do I Take Care Of My Very Small Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2020
I just found two kittens in my house today and I have caught them. I kept them in a cage but I don't know what to do with them. What kind of environment do they stay in and what food should i feed them? I'll also appreciate any general tips as i don't want them to die.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:06am On Jul 24, 2020
According to what some neighbors told me, they eat coconuts and I've given that to them. They seem to be eating it, as of now. However, they are scared of me and always hiss and spit when I try to approach. I don't want to get bitten or scratched, so I keep my distance. (Is there anything I can do to get them closer to me). What I'm giving them now is milk and coconut paste mixed with sardines. I'd really love to hear some tips and advice. Thank you.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 9:42pm On Jul 24, 2020
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by peacefull(f): 3:10am On Jul 25, 2020
TheDarkGamer:
According to what some neighbors told me, they eat coconuts and I've given that to them. They seem to be eating it, as of now. However, they are scared of me and always hiss and spit when I try to approach. I don't want to get bitten or scratched, so I keep my distance. (Is there anything I can do to get them closer to me). What I'm giving them now is milk and coconut paste mixed with sardines. I'd really love to hear some tips and advice. Thank you.

Cow's milk?
If you giving them cow's milk now, Please don't give them.
Some foods is like poison for cats.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 3:19pm On Jul 25, 2020
peacefull:

Cow's milk?
If you giving them cow's milk now, Please don't give them.
Some foods is like poison for cats.

Oh thank you. I recognize your name from a cat thread. You said you were from Japan, right? Well, thanks for the advice, any more tips? Especially on taming the cats.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by peacefull(f): 5:46am On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Oh thank you. I recognize your name from a cat thread. You said you were from Japan, right? Well, thanks for the advice, any more tips? Especially on taming the cats.

Yes, I'm from Japan.
Nice to meet you smiley

In my country, take them to veterinarian clinic and check their health is first.
Vaccinations, neuter, spay is common.

I think your cats still cautious about you.
You need take time.
Cats also need time for make sure if they are in safe with you or not.

So Please don't make them afraid.
Make loud around them is not good.
Try to make them remember your smell and voice little by little.
Please don't try to put your hand from upside now when you wanna touch them.
And when looking at each other without blink is making them feel like you are threatening them.

You can know their feel or mood from their cry, behavior, even tail.

I'm not veterinarian.
So I can only share with you is what I know about cats and from my experience.
But if I can help you, I'm so glad smiley

Are they still afraid about you?
Still keeping them inside cage?

6 Likes

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
peacefull:

Yes, I'm from Japan.
Nice to meet you smiley

In my country, take them to veterinarian clinic and check their health is first.
Vaccinations, neuter, spay is common.

I think your cats still cautious about you.
You need take time.
Cats also need time for make sure if they are in safe with you or not.

So Please don't make them afraid.
Make loud around them is not good.
Try to make them remember your smell and voice little by little.
Please don't try to put your hand from upside now when you wanna touch them.
And when looking at each other without blink is making them feel like you are threatening them.

You can know their feel or mood from their cry, behavior, even tail.

I'm not veterinarian.
So I can only share with you is what I know about cats and from my experience.
But if I can help you, I'm so glad smiley

Are they still afraid about you?
Still keeping them inside cage?

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I got them on Thursday and today is Sunday. I still keep them in a cage but today was the first time I brought them out. I had their nails cut and tried petting them and stroking their fur. They still try to bite me and they hiss furiously. However, when I finished cutting their claws today, I put them on my lap and tried petting and stroking it from the back (not the front of their face). They hissed and tried to escape but I kept a firm hold on them. Due to the fear, they always shiver when I pet and stroke them but I hope in the following days, they'll start to recognize me.

I have a vet check them this week but is it necessary to neuter them as they are both females?

Also what kind of food do they love most?

How do I introduce my scent to them?

Lastly, anything to stop the biting?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by explosiveskull(m): 3:20pm On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I got them on Thursday and today is Sunday. I still keep them in a cage but today was the first time I brought them out. I had their nails cut and tried petting them and stroking their fur. They still try to bite me and they hiss furiously. However, when I finished cutting their claws today, I put them on my lap and tried petting and stroking it from the back (not the front of their face). They hissed and tried to escape but I kept a firm hold on them. Due to the fear, they always shiver when I pet and stroke them but I hope in the following days, they'll start to recognize me.

I have a vet check them this week but is it necessary to neuter them as they are both females?

hahaha! that is not shivering when stroking them, its purring. when they are purring, it means they are happy. for now, you should reduce contact until they are comfortable with you, just give them food and water. cats are lactose intolerant meaning cow milk is a poison to them. the sardine is good but you should know cats are among the animals called obligate carnivores meaning they depend 95% on meat especially on the protein called taurine, if you are not too sure, you can go to a vet store and buy a dry cat processed food as they don't eat much it will last.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 8:12pm On Jul 26, 2020
explosiveskull:

hahaha! that is not shivering when stroking them, its purring. when they are purring, it means they are happy. for now, you should reduce contact until they are comfortable with you, just give them food and water. cats are lactose intolerant meaning cow milk is a poison to them. the sardine is good but you should know cats are among the animals called obligate carnivores meaning they depend 95% on meat especially on the protein called taurine, if you are not too sure, you can go to a vet store and buy a dry cat processed food as they don't eat much it will last.

Thanks for the advice. But I'm pretty sure about the shivering. It's not that they are cold though but maybe it might be purring too. I'll look into that. What kind of human food can I feed it?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by explosiveskull(m): 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Thanks for the advice. But I'm pretty sure about the shivering. It's not that they are cold though but maybe it might be purring too. I'll look into that. What kind of human food can I feed it?
most human food is poisonous to cays such as onions, any beverage containing cocoa. paracetamol will kill a cat instantly. cats like I said before, cats are obligate
carnivores and require mostly protein.
Their git is not suited for human food.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 9:03pm On Jul 26, 2020
explosiveskull:
most human food is poisonous to cays such as onions, any beverage containing cocoa. paracetamol will kill a cat instantly. cats like I said before, cats are obligate
carnivores and require mostly protein.
Their git is not suited for human food.

Alright, I get you. However, don't forget that these are feral kittens. They probably have been surviving on small animals like birds , so is it okay to give them such animals once in a while? Along with their cat feed too?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by explosiveskull(m): 9:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Alright, I get you. However, don't forget that these are feral kittens. They probably have been surviving on small animals like birds , so is it okay to give them such animals once in a while? Along with their cat feed too?
the best feeding is that as they will have access to crude and natural protein.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2020
explosiveskull:

the best feeding is that as they will have access to crude and natural protein.

Okay thanks. Any advice in order to make them get closer to me?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Echbee: 9:16pm On Jul 26, 2020
How to stop your cat from biting.
https://veterinarymedicineechbeebolanle-ojuri..com/2019/02/cats-training-your-cat-to-stop-biting.html

explosiveskull:

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Echbee: 9:17pm On Jul 26, 2020
How to stop your cat from biting.
Depending on why your cat is biting, there are several things that you can do to help curtail this unwanted behavior. However, consistency is key, and you can’t view biting as cute one time, and they reprimand your cat the next time they bite you because you send mixed signals that’ll confuse your cat.

As with any unwanted behavior from your pets, training your cat to stop biting follows several basic principals. These are the same principals that you follow for any pet that has bad habits that you’re trying to break.

https://veterinarymedicineechbeebolanle-ojuri..com/2019/02/cats-training-your-cat-to-stop-biting.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2020
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by explosiveskull(m): 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

They will come around once they are comfortable with you.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Echbee: 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2020
TheDarkGamer:
I just found two kittens in my house today and I have caught them. I kept them in a cage but I don't know what to do with them. What kind of environment do they stay in and what food should i feed them? I'll also appreciate any general tips as i don't want them to die.
How to take care of cats..
https://veterinarymedicineechbeebolanle-ojuri..com/2019/01/veterinary-medicine-how-to-prepare-for.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Echbee: 9:39pm On Jul 26, 2020
Feeding cats!! can use dry or wet food. Home made meals are also ok especially if balanced. Cats need more of protein especially animal based protein, less carbs, less veggies and regular supply of fresh cool water.
Start of your feral cats on sardines,boiled and mashed with rice . Cat can also be fed a mix of jute stew with crayfish and mackerel added to eko( cooked pap). The protein must make up 75% of the meal ,and add coconut oil to the meal. Coconut oil will aid digestion as well as make the coat of cat shiny.
https://veterinarymedicineechbeebolanle-ojuri..com/2020/07/home-made-cat-food.html

TheDarkGamer:
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by peacefull(f): 4:11am On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Thanks for the advice.

Oh! Ok!
But I think touch them like that is still early embarassed
Need more time.
Hiss and shiver is proof.
They are still not make sure if they are in safe or you are not their enemy.

I meant not touch them from upside now is from face(head)side.
And from back side, also not good now.
Now they are trying to bite you is I think they are defending.

Before you trying to touch them, they also need time to know where is their safe place now.
They need to know about their home now.
They maybe will hide, but just give them time.
They will come out from hide place little by little and check that place(your house)by themselves.
When time will come, they will come close to you.
When they will try to come close and wanna check you, hold out your hand or a finger but keep distance, they maybe will try to smell it first.

Please just give them more time.
If you did something they don't want it now, they will remember you like a mean person embarassed

About food, cats also like a human.
I mean every cats have different character.
You will know what is their favorite food.
But I think cat food is best food for them.
Because everything calculated about nutrition for cats.

Keep their good health is one of most important owner of pet's responsibility.
So Please if you had time, I want you to check which food is like poison for cat before you give them food.

In my country, neuter and spay is very common.
Reduce in heat, risk of some sick, unwanted pregnancy, marking etc.
I don't know about Nigeria embarassed
Is there not common?

2 Likes

Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Try leaving a piece of clothing you have worn before in their cage
Like a wrapper or something. That'll introduce them to your scent and make them feel a little bit more comfortable around you because of the familiar scent
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by harmargedon: 11:29am On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:
kittens need more of milk few heavy foods. They can start eating heavy food from three to four months. Note wild cats appear bigger than they age. Feed them milk for two weeks then feded them with fish and see their reactions.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:44am On Jul 27, 2020
femekpe:

Like a wrapper or something. That'll introduce them to your scent and make them feel a little bit more comfortable around you because of the familiar scent

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:48am On Jul 27, 2020
Echbee:
Feeding cats!! can use dry or wet food. Home made meals are also ok especially if balanced. Cats need more of protein especially animal based protein, less carbs, less veggies and regular supply of fresh cool water.
Start of your feral cats on sardines,boiled and mashed with rice . Cat can also be fed a mix of jute stew with crayfish and mackerel added to eko( cooked pap). The protein must make up 75% of the meal ,and add coconut oil to the meal. Coconut oil will aid digestion as well as make the coat of cat shiny.
https://veterinarymedicineechbeebolanle-ojuri..com/2020/07/home-made-cat-food.html

Wow, good to know. Just finished feeding them with some mashed chicken and animal blood tonic mixed with water. I'll keep your advice in mind.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:54am On Jul 27, 2020
peacefull:

Oh! Ok!
But I think touch them like that is still early embarassed
Need more time.
Hiss and shiver is proof.
They are still not make sure if they are in safe or you are not their enemy.

I meant not touch them from upside now is from face(head)side.
And from back side, also not good now.
Now they are trying to bite you is I think they are defending.

Before you trying to touch them, they also need time to know where is their safe place now.
They need to know about their home now.
They maybe will hide, but just give them time.
They will come out from hide place little by little and check that place(your house)by themselves.
When time will come, they will come close to you.
When they will try to come close and wanna check you, hold out your hand or a finger but keep distance, they maybe will try to smell it first.

Please just give them more time.
If you did something they don't want it now, they will remember you like a mean person embarassed

About food, cats also like a human.
I mean every cats have different character.
You will know what is their favorite food.
But I think cat food is best food for them.
Because everything calculated about nutrition for cats.

Keep their good health is one of most important owner of pet's responsibility.
So Please if you had time, I want you to check which food is like poison for cat before you give them food.

In my country, neuter and spay is very common.
Reduce in heat, risk of some sick, unwanted pregnancy, marking etc.
I don't know about Nigeria embarassed
Is there not common?

Thanks.
I think I know their feeding pattern now and what they like to eat.

They aren't getting any closer to me though. I'll heed your advice and let them get accustomed to me first. Today is their fourth day with me, so I'll let them be for about two weeks.

The smell though, I don't know if I'm meant to bathe or clean them. They don't stink though but they have this particular smell.

Spaying and neutering is common in Nigeria. But they are females, does that work on them too?

Also since I've gotten them, I've put them in their cages and only brought them out once to cut their claws and pet them but they just run away from me and hide in all kinds of places. So should I just leave them in their cages until they start to like me?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:56am On Jul 27, 2020
femekpe:

Alright thanks. I'll do that ASAP.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:56am On Jul 27, 2020
harmargedon:
kittens need more of milk few heavy foods. They can start eating heavy food from three to four months. Note wild cats appear bigger than they age. Feed them milk for two weeks then feded them with fish and see their reactions.

Noted.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by TheDarkGamer: 11:58am On Jul 27, 2020
Then lastly, I've found their last sibling and I want to take it in too, should I keep it together with the other kittens? Maybe the more the merrier?
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:
Then lastly, I've found their last sibling and I want to take it in too, should I keep it together with the other kittens? Maybe the more the merrier?

Don't see any reason not to
Just make sure you take them to get dewormed and vaccinated soon
And try letting them in your house too so they can get accustomed to living as housecats
I once had a cat before but her curiosity made her fall into open septic tank and die
Just make sure you observe them well because their curiosity tends to get the better of them

Would love to see their pictures
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by peacefull(f): 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Thanks.

They aren't getting any closer to me though. I'll heed your advice and let them get accustomed to me first. Today is their fourth day with me, so I'll let them be for about two weeks.

The smell though, I don't know if I'm meant to bathe or clean them. They don't stink though but they have this particular smell.

Spaying and neutering is common in Nigeria. But they are females, does that work on them too?

Also since I've gotten them, I've put them in their cages and only brought them out once to cut their claws and pet them but they just run away from me and hide in all kinds of places. So should I just leave them in their cages until they start to like me?

I'm happy now!
You know their food smiley

Fourth day with you?
I think they are getting know about you.
Cats also have character.
So some cats take long time, some cats not take long time.

What about just open their cage and watch them?
Maybe they will come out little by little by themselves?
When they hide, give them time.
After some time, what about play with them?
Use like string? You can keep distance but if they like it, you can play with them.

When they are hungry, what about bring them food?
Keep distance and watch them?
I know some cats refuse to eat food.
But at least they are eating now?

Some peoples bath them, brush their teeth etc.
They are kitten, but not too small like a baby?

Yes.
In my country, spaying is very common.
You need to ask about it veterinarian who knows and can treat cats very well.

I really hope you and they will close to each other soon!! smiley

If my talking is meaningless or useless, I'm very sorry.
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 27, 2020
peacefull:

I'm happy now!
You know their food smiley

Fourth day with you?
I think they are getting know about you.
Cats also have character.
So some cats take long time, some cats not take long time.

What about just open their cage and watch them?
Maybe they will come out little by little by themselves?
When they hide, give them time.
After some time, what about play with them?
Use like string? You can keep distance but if they like it, you can play with them.

When they are hungry, what about bring them food?
Keep distance and watch them?
I know some cats refuse to eat food.
But at least they are eating now?

Some peoples bath them, brush their teeth etc.
They are kitten, but not too small like a baby?

Yes.
In my country, spaying is very common.
You need to ask about it veterinarian who knows and can treat cats very well.

I really hope you and they will close to each other soon!! smiley

If my talking is meaningless or useless, I'm very sorry.

I love this
Re: How To Take Care Of A Feral Kitten? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 27, 2020
TheDarkGamer:

Thanks.

They're usually shy when brought into a new environment so just let them adjust and get used to your house instead of caging them
But limit it to one room at first
Bathe them with lukewarm water and odourless shampoo if you have but only water if you don't. Remember they're feral cats so they might not have had a bath before. Wear protective clothing on your hands because they will definitely scratch
As for the smell, I think that's their excrete get a deep tray and fill it halfway with dry sand or cat litter cats are hygienic so they only go where they can bury their excrete. It also helps if you put it somewhere that people don't go to often
Change the sand every few days or when you notice smell

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pure Female Adult German Shepherd Dog (GSD) For Sale!!! / This Is For Tiger Lovers / Help!!my Pup(a Gsd I Think)is Very Aggresive,has Extremely Long Ears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.