Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,194 members, 7,780,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:33 PM

History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion (260 Views)

Valentine: Destinies Will Be Placed In Hand Of Marine Agents Tonight - Bamiloye / Sanctions Must Be Placed On Nigeria After Christian Persecution - UK Group / Big Pot Placed On A Pastor’s Head While Praying (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by OtemAtum: 10:26am On Jul 25, 2020
Averroes was a fearless man in those days. He confidently criticised religion, especially the Islamic religion. He also predicted a time when Jehovah and Allah will be seen as irrelevant in the views of humanity.

Pivadra 8: 1- 41

1. Averroes was a great philosopher born in Cordoba in Spain, in the year 281,126 of the homo sapiens era, which is the year 1126C.E.
2. Now in the days of Averroes, the works of Al-Ghazalli, a critic of pure philosophy prevailed in the Muslim communities.
3. Now Al-Ghazalli, who died only fifteen years before the birth of Averroes was a critic of pure philosophy. Rather, he supported Islamic philosophy which he found as the only true philosophy.
4. But Averroes, before acceding to the seat of the judge of Cordoba, had studied many philosophies and had found the works of Aristotle as the only one matching his own thoughts and philosophies.
5. For when Averroes had checked through the Quran and other Islamic texts privately, he found them lacking in morals, ethics and humanities.
6. And Averroes wrote some points against the Islamic philosophy in his papers, saying, why should the maker of the earth command jihad against other believers? Why should Mohammed the founder of Islam take a little girl and deflower her, then making her his wife against her wish?
7. Why should the creator of the earth be so like humans in reasonings and ability? Why is the quran not extraordinarily better than other philosophical books if it is actually written by God Almighty?
8. Why does Allah not address this issue of slavery which is at this moment seen as brutal and cruel by many wise ones, even among those whom we term kaffir?
9. Now after Averroes had written these texts, he kept them secret and resolved to follow and promote the teachings of Aristotle rather than the philosophies of Mohammed the founder of Islam.
10. Now Averroes attempted to bring philosophical reasonings to Islam, for he wanted his people to reason things out rather than foolishly following all the texts of Islam.
11. Now Averroes stood among the people and said, I am not against Islam, but I am against lack of reasoning by Islamic scholars.
12. Let all scholars of Islam be reasonable enough to be rational in their thoughts and let every unreasonable stories in the quran be rather treated as allegories.
13. I say this because the quran seem to have been corrupted, having passed from the hands of one caliph to another. From the hands of Abu Bakr to another and to the hands of Uthman and others after them.
14. And many unreasonable things had entered the quran by such.
15. Now the scholars in the school of Ashari attacked all forms of philosophies, saying that it is only the Islam philosophy that was right.
16. And they spoke against Averroes for trying to promote western philosophies and the ancient philosophies above Islamic philosophies
17. Then Averroes said, before quran was made, these philosophies had been made. How can you criticise them all and give credence to only the Islamic philosophies?
18. If we Muslims do not learn to recognise wisdom in other philosophies, we shall eventually end up not being wise enough to grow in knowledge with the rest of the world.
19. And we shall be held back by our own rituals and superstitions. It is simple enough to discard whatever islamic idea which do not resonate with logical reasonings.
20. But you followers of Al-Ghazali have refused to see reasons in other philosophies, how then shall you grow intellectually?
21. What does Al-Ghazali your role model hold against philosophers other than the fact that they are not Muslims?
22. Can we say that Aristotle, Socrates and many other great philosophers of old times are entirely false because they do not hold the belief of Islam?
23. This is of course foolishness, because Islam is not the only religion in the world, therefore its knowledge does not necessarily have to be generally accepted.
24. Now it is better that we recheck and modify the works of the quran whenever it seems that philosophical conclusions are in contradictions with them.
25. And also for the Christians, let them recheck and modify the works of the bible whenever they appear to contradict the conclusions reached by philosophers.
25. Now these sayings of Averroes angered and provoked both the Muslims and the Christians in many parts of the world.
26. And they had grudges with Averroes, thinking to lay their hands on him. But for the high position of Averroes, being a judge, it seemed difficult for them.
27. Now when Averroes had seen how the religious people reacted, he said further, philosophy is the best method of passing knowledge and understanding and not religion.
28. For philosophy creates room for questions and give possible answers after series of practicals, but religion only creates room for questions and does not have an answer to give, but jumps to conclusion instead.
29. Now around that time, Abu Yakub the caliph died and Abu Yusuf his son became the caliph. Now Abu Yakub the late caliph had believed very much in all the sayings of Averroes, which was the reason Averroes had been protected from attack earlier.
30. But Abu Yusuf his son surrendered to the pressures of different cabals to release Averroes to them to be tried, therefore he released him to his various accusers to be tried.
31. Then Averroes was tried and exiled to Lucena. They burnt all his works concerning Aristotle and other philosophers.
32. Now Averroes continued to philosophise in Lucena. Then a day came when Abu Yusuf disguised and went to see him.
33. Then he said, do not be afraid Ibn Rushd. I have come to restore you back to my court, because now I am strong enough.
34. My father had said before his death, Yusuf my son, do not let Averroes the qadi get hurt. Rather, reward him and learn from his wisdom. For he is a wise man with many secrets.
35. Now I have come to you to learn some secrets which are unspeakable.
36. Now Averroes said, for secrets I have many. For I have met the light and I have known what is true from what is ideated.
37. And I can say to you with authority that religion is ideated and natural knowledge are true. We cannot say it publicly now, but a time will come when it would be made public.
38. And what we see as God Almighty now shall be seen as even a little dot or a speck out of the unlimited magnificence of God Almighty.
39. But can we declare it now and go scot-free? No caliph, for the time to say it is not now.
40. So Abu Yusuf sent Averroes to Marrakesh and honoured him. Now Averroes died when he was 72 years old and was buried honorably.
41. Now till these days, many philosophers admired Averroes for appreciating philosophy and putting it ahead of even Islam in religion without having the fear of being killed by the violent ones in Islam.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by illicit(m): 10:49am On Jul 25, 2020
religion spreads hate

3 Likes

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by Dtruthspeaker: 10:55am On Jul 25, 2020
grin
It was his religion to uphold Thinking sorry philosophy!

1 Like

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 25, 2020
Great thread.
Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by OtemAtum: 11:15am On Jul 25, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:
grin
It was his religion to uphold Thinking sorry philosophy!
And your own religion is to uphold unthinking soured religion abi? You are religionalising natural philosophy, just as you people religionalise atheism and freethinking undecided
Kontinu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by Dtruthspeaker: 11:29am On Jul 25, 2020
OtemAtum:
And your own religion is to uphold unthinking soured religion abi? You are religionalising natural philosophy, just as you people religionalise atheism and freethinking undecided
Kontinu.

grin
I love thinking, I encourage and support it.

But there is Good and Profitable Thinking that brings wellness and Happiness to the soul.

And there is erratic, unuseful and otherwise destructive thinking.

And there is another thinking that deceives many apeople, one that sounded wise and sweet and glorious on the surface but when Shaken, it collapses like beer on a table.

And I am a lover of knowledge but before I accept any knowledge it must be shaken, very well shaken and tested.

So I do not do what you think and call religious thinking, I do the Thinking habit or practice or religion.

1 Like

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 25, 2020
OtemAtum is just obsessed with religions.
You are a good philosopher but i will advice you to stick to your own belief and leave Religious folks alone.
In my life as a Christian there are innumerable things i have benefited from serving the Only true Almighty God.
Whenever i prays he answers,he even warns me ahead of danger and even avert most of it.
No amount of philosophies can change the fact that God remains God.
There are other gods out there but the only way to the true God is Jesus Christ.Anybody that denies that is an Anti Christ.
Allah is not God,it is one of the gods in saudi arabia in medieval times.
OtemAtum this God that created you still loves you,he is patiently waiting for you to come to him.
Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by OtemAtum: 5:25pm On Jul 25, 2020
PRE4:
OtemAtum is just obsessed with religions.
You are a good philosopher but i will advice you to stick to your own belief and leave Religious folks alone.
In my life as a Christian there are innumerable things i have benefited from serving the Only true Almighty God.
Whenever i prays he answers,he even warns me ahead of danger and even avert most of it.
No amount of philosophies can change the fact that God remains God.
There are other gods out there but the only way to the true God is Jesus Christ.Anybody that denies that is an Anti Christ.
Allah is not God,it is one of the gods in saudi arabia in medieval times.
OtemAtum this God that created you still loves you,he is patiently waiting for you to come to him.
I appreciate the fact that you recognise that I'm a good philosopher, however this philosopher here in question isn't me. He is Averroes and well known to the Muslim community. About you talking about praying to a god and it seems you get answers, that's not something totally out of place. As a matter of fact, some of our wishes come to pass without praying to any of these beings or even by praying to stones, sticks, pots, etc. It is just natural. It's not your prayer that works, but the Power of Coincidence. If you want to prove me wrong, make a table and put names of different stuffs there. Then pray to each of them as you always do. You might be shocked to even discover that it would seem as if one or more of them answered your prayers more than Jehovah you say you are praying to.

Assignment: Make a table of 10 rows and 5 columns. Write the following names in each coloumn:

1. Jehovah
2. Pot
3. Biscuit
4. Saliva
5. Yourself

Do your prayers 9 times to each of these things. Separate prayer points. After the time has elapsed, check which of them seem to answer your prayers most. You might be shocked that at the end of the period, this will be your result:

Jehovah 1/9
Biscuit 2/9
Saliva 3/9
Pot 4/9
Yourself 5/9

That's how it works. Prayers are mere wishes and they will either come to pass or not, with or without involving any god or things. Do you know that my wishes come to pass even more than the times when I was a religious person?

Let me leave you with the history of Luwabi, so that you can correlate this. The embolden answer your curiosity.

Luwabi 15: 1- 39

1. Luwabi overturned a large pot in front of his house. And he wrote saying, do not open. It is the secret of Luwabi. If you open it and see what you do not wish to see, then it is your own problem, because I have forewarned you saying, do not open.
2. Now rumours began to spread all around about the covered pot of Luwabi. And the egungun of that land said, under the pot of Luwabi are his charms. And he shall hurt many with it.
3. And some said, Luwabi is a wizard. He has covered the destiny of many homos in it.
4. And some said, Luwabi is one of the Alawo of the land. And some admirers of Luwabi feared and said, Luwabi is using our destiny to prolong his own life.
5. And the Igunnuko and Eyo of other lands also said that Luwabi is into a very big cult.
6. Now every day, Luwabi would sit on top of the upturned pot and smile at those passing. And they feared him greatly, saying, Luwabi is a blood-sucker and a wizard.
7. And many withdrew their children from going to the court of Luwabi.
8. Now in a year, many beliefs had been formed around the pot of Luwabi. And some said, the pot of Luwabi is the pot of magic.
9. And many came to say that they saw Luwabi in their dreams casting spells at them from the pot.
10. And some said the pot contains earthworms and snails, while others said it is filled with evil cowries.
11. Now a homo fell sick when he remembered that Luwabi had fed him from similar pot before. And the homo said, I did eat with Luwabi from the pot, not knowing that Luwabi was using my destiny.
12. And even those who said they were witches and wizards began to fear Luwabi greatly.
13. And the fame of Luwabi spread far into many lands. And they feared him even from those lands.
14. Now some of the priests of the gods came to Luwabi, saying, tell us the secret of your power.
15. But Luwabi said, I cannot share the secret with anyone. My pot is outside there, go and open it.
16. Now many of them began to hate Luwabi. And they met together, saying, let us conjure fearful dreams and send it to his head. And he shall fear if he dreams it.
17. Now one said, if Luwabi does not think of us, how shall he dream about us? Now let us go around his house and scare him.
18. Now the people went around Luwabi’s house and called his name, saying, Luwabi, we witches shall destroy your life in your dream today. We shall tear your flesh apart.
19. Now Luwabi heard them and smiled. And then he went to bed.
20. Now all the people gathered together to imagine what they wished to let Luwabi see in his dream. And they imagined deep into the night, saying, since Luwabi has already heard our threat, he shall dream it also.
21. Now when Luwabi was asleep, he saw many birds flying over his head to tear him apart. But because he had trained himself not to fear anything, he was not afraid in the dream.
22. And Luwabi said in the dream, birds of the dream, shall you follow me out of the dream? If I wake up now, shall you not all be wiped out with the dream?
23. Then Luwabi woke up from his sleep and laughed.
24. Now when Luwabi came out of his house, he went to sit on the pot again. And the people who threatened him saw him and were surprised. For they thought that he would have died in his sleep overnight.
25. Now two brave homos said to themselves, we shall upturn the pot of Luwabi to know what he has kept under it. Now it was already three years since the pot was there. And many stories had been formed around it.
26. And even many priests had been threatened by its presence, yet they were afraid to open it. And those who feared so much came to worship the pot, so that they would not be destroyed by the power in it.
27. And they brought sacrifices in calabashes and placed them before the pot. But Luwabi fed their sacrifices to his animals, but no one knew. For they thought that the pot had accepted the sacrifices.
28. And some homos had formed a religion woven around the pot. And the pot did they make their god. And they made panegyrics for the pot.
29. And they said, Ikoko Luwabi orisa wa(meaning the pot of Luwabi, our own god).
30. Now the two brave men whose names were Akin and Gbajumo came to the pot at noon. And they said, we shall open the pot and dare the consequences.
31. So many gathered to watch them open the pot. And those who worship the pot came and said, do not open it, because it is our god. And since we began to worship it, it has been protecting us from evil.
32. However, Akin and Gbajumo proceeded and lifted up the pot. And many homos scattered to different directions, running when no one was chasing them. And those who were curious were shocked beyond imagination. For they saw nothing under the pot and they were disappointed.
33. Now it was known before the passing away of that day that the pot of Luwabi contained nothing. And they who had built their worship around the pot wondered, saying, why then are we protected when we changed our gods to worship the pot as our new god?
34. Who protected us from death when we left the worship of Ogun and Sango and even Oya to worship this pot?

35. Now Luwabi sat them down and said, you protected yourself with what you believe. For if you believe that you are protected, then you shall be protected. You do not need any god to protect you, but your own mind.
36. When you see a pot turned upside down, you think it is covering up something. But the truth of the matter is that it covers up nothing worth checking. So are many beliefs. They are made up of nothing but vacuums, yet they have power to protect you and to make you look powerful because you have put your belief in them.
37. Now the homo, who fell sick after thinking of the food he ate from the pot before it was overtuned, came to Luwabi because he had become well. And he said, baba Luwabi, if indeed the pot did not cover anything, how then did I fall sick?
38. How then did I dream that a snake was inside the pot turned over?
39. Then Luwabi said, your fear made you dream so and not because there is a snake under it. That is what fear can do to anyone. Now because you have known that there is nothing under it, you became well again. So is life. Many die because of their ignorance.

1 Like

Re: History Of Averroes: The Man Who Placed Philosophy Above Religion by OtemAtum: 7:32am On Sep 05, 2020
Be courageous

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Nairaland Hiding My Link? / Pastor E.A Adeboye And Wife Celebrate 53rd Wedding Anniversary (photos, Video) / Zakir Naik’s Plot To Silence Critics Of Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.