Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

My Guinea Fowls Dairy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Guinea Fowls Dairy (8072 Views)

Guinea Fowls Farming / Hybrid Guinea Fowls / Am Selling Out My Guinea Pig In Set Of Offspring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 11:02am On Jul 25, 2020
For a while now, I have been thinking of the right pets to get after the demise of Stella, Rubbie & Jumia my cats. After much deliberation, I decided pending the time I get another cat (I have come to the realisation that I can't do without at least two cats in the house), let me get myself Guinea fowl keets as pets. Luckily for me, scouting for them wasn't much of a problem. 4 keets where bought and quickly settled into their new home.

Immediately I set my eyes on them, I loved them straightaway. Wifey also fell in love with them and I gave her the honour of naming them, and named them she did; Kara, Sylvester, Rodrigo and Kojo. (Only God knows where those names came from undecided )

Quick Facts about Guinea fowls
Guinea fowl are hardy and low maintenance.

They also make excellent "watchdogs," sounding the alarm when unknown visitors approach.

Guinea fowl are free from diseases that plague other poultry.

They even cut down on the need for pesticides, as they rid their area of bugs and other pests, and have a particular fondness for the deer tick that spreads Lyme disease.

Best of all, they will help rid my garden off insects and unwanted pests.

6 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by iamdannyfc(m): 11:21am On Jul 25, 2020
Beautiful. What type of food do they eat?

2 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 11:22am On Jul 25, 2020
Nutrition

Guineas need a higher protein feed than chickens but do quite well on regular poultry diets.
Keets need a 24% to 26% protein ration as the starter feed. For now, I will be feeding them Prestarter Broiler feeds.

Below is Kara! grin

5 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 6:07pm On Jul 25, 2020
They are cute

2 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Blackbelly(m): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2020
They're quite beautiful. This is my first time seeing a guinea fowl chick. Please keep updating us with their progress. I'd like to see how they transform from this regular chick appearance into something from Jurassic park grin

7 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by wunmi590(m): 7:29pm On Jul 25, 2020
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 8:29pm On Jul 25, 2020
Michael390:
They are cute
Thanks cool
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 8:30pm On Jul 25, 2020
Blackbelly:
They're quite beautiful. This is my first time seeing a guinea fowl chick. Please keep updating us with their progress. I'd like to see how they transform from this regular chick appearance into something from Jurassic park grin

Lol.

Sure will. cool
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by edrys(m): 11:26pm On Jul 25, 2020
I think from experience when I was young, when they grow big with feathers. They will fly away.
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 10:03am On Jul 26, 2020
jidestroud:

Thanks cool
You're welcome I really wanna see how they look like when they are fully grown!!!
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 1:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
Drowning Keet

Woke up this morning to check out my newest pets in their box only for me to find out that Kara was submerged in the water drinker, with only the head visible. OMG!!! I screamed ehn, wifey rushed in to see what happened. Shebi I told you she said, the keets are too small for the water drinkers, what if they enter? Exactly her words yesterday. cry , but I went ahead and used it anyways. Quickly, I brought it out and dried it up using the heat from my AC unit.
Thank God, it's okay. Almost thought it was a goner before. cry

I also had to introduced two poults. Let me observe how they socialize.

Quick facts about keets

Young guineafowl are called keets.

Keets are very sensitive to weather, in particular cold temperatures. You need to keep them warm.

One of the sadder realities about Guinea fowl keets is that if they’re exposed to some kind of trauma during the first few weeks, the more anti-social and fiercely independent they will become.

3 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by oyetpel(m): 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2020
jidestroud:
Drowning Keet

Woke up this morning to check out my newest pets in their box only for me to find out that Kara was submerged in the water drinker, with only the head visible. OMG!!! I screamed ehn, wifey rushed in to see what happened. Shebi I told you she said, the keets are too small for the water drinkers, what if they enter? Exactly her words yesterday. cry , but I went ahead and used it anyways. Quickly, I brought it out and dried it up using the heat from my AC unit.

Quick facts about keets

Keets are very sensitive to weather, in particular cold temperatures. You need to keep them warm.

One of the sadder realities about Guinea fowl keets is that if they’re exposed to some kind of trauma during the first few weeks, the more anti-social and fiercely independent they will become.

Eiye awo, there eggs are very sweet.

When i was young, i heard it's only northerners that rear them, and that if they get lost down south, they will fly back to the north.

They are cute, me likey.

3 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2020
oyetpel:

Eiye awo, there eggs are very sweet.

When i was young, i heard it's only northerners that rear them, and that if they get lost down south, they will fly back to the north.

They are cute, me likey.

Fly back to north bawo? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy abegi oooo!!!

But I know guinea fowls to be very strong fliers. Despite not being migration animals, they could really fly some distance.

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 9:46pm On Jul 26, 2020
jidestroud:
Drowning Keet

Quick facts about keets

Thank goodness you we're quick because I don't want nothing to die smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
Michael390:

Thank goodness you we're quick because I don't want nothing to die smiley smiley smiley

None must die ooooo. Wifey even anointed their heads this evening and prayed for them. (This woman don taya me aswear lipsrsealed)

2 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 9:59pm On Jul 26, 2020
jidestroud:

None must die ooooo. Wifey even anointed their heads this evening and prayed for them. (This woman don taya me aswear lipsrsealed)
lolzzz.I almost laugh off my head when I read this!!!

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by IamAsiri: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin. Anointinggrin

2 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 10:48pm On Jul 26, 2020
lolzzz
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 11:05pm On Jul 26, 2020
IamAsiri:
grin grin grin grin grin. Anointinggrin
Not funny bro, grin

I could recall the other time she was calling the names of our cats in our early morning prayers grin. Well, you can't be a farmer and not be prayerful oooo. Everything revolves around God.
That's by the way, this is about my Keets jare, our new found pets. I just pray she can endure them when they are all grown up and looking like vultures grin grin

7 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by merieam16(f): 11:07pm On Jul 26, 2020
nice
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 9:53am On Jul 27, 2020
Thumbs up bro!!!
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by IamAsiri: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2020
jidestroud:

Not funny bro, grin

I could recall the other time she was calling the names of our cats in our early morning prayers grin. Well, you can't be a farmer and not be prayerful oooo. Everything revolves around God.
That's by the way, this is about my Keets jare, our new found pets. I just pray she can endure them when they are all grown up and looking like vultures grin grin

Lol grin. Actually sir, I'm also a she o cheesy. And it's yes to prayers for farmers o. For example, I got to my farm today only to discover that rats or whatever have eaten almost half of my one month old maize cry. I'd pray and they would still eat them. Would have to intensify my prayers.

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by iamdannyfc(m): 8:39pm On Jul 27, 2020
IamAsiri:

Lol grin. Actually sir, I'm also a she o cheesy. And it's yes to prayers for farmers o. For example, I got to my farm today only to discover that rats or whatever have eaten almost half of my one month old maize cry. I'd pray and they would still eat them. Would have to intensify my prayers.

I will advice you to identify the culprit and find a way to intensify the methologies to get rid of the pest instead.
You can still hold on to the normal prayer during the process anyway

4 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by IamAsiri: 8:54pm On Jul 27, 2020
iamdannyfc:

I will advice you to identify the culprit and find a way to intensify the methologies to get rid of the pest instead.
You can still hold on to the normal prayer during the process anyway

Well I have tried preparing a delicious fish dinner for them today with the hope that they will all feast on them and that none will be spared. Still going to keep praying especially that they will be directed to their sumptuous meal and will not miss any cool

3 Likes

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Michael390(m): 9:19am On Jul 28, 2020
post pictures of your kits please

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2020
Michael390:
post pictures of your kits please

Sure will. Still small & fragile keets for now though.
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2020
So eager for my guinea fowls to grow up and start their extermination jobs biko. Recently, there's been an influx of horned devils all over my garden. My chickens are just so lazy to do anything about them, they simply avoid them cry
They don't even eat earthworms haba!!!.

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:31am On Aug 19, 2020
jidestroud:
So eager for my guinea fowls to grow up and start their extermination jobs biko. Recently, there's been an influx of horned devils all over my garden. My chickens are just so lazy to do anything about them, they simply avoid them cry
They don't even eat earthworms haba!!!.

Mr Jidestroud,
Well done sir. I've been reading your topics lately and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Just look at your chicken starring at the macro organism? Looool.

Funny animal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 9:28am On Aug 19, 2020
ferhyntorlah:

Mr Jidestroud,
Well done sir. I've been reading your topics lately and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Just look at your chicken starring at the macro organism? Looool.

Funny animal.

Thanks for the feedback.
grin
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 10:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
Yea right!!! They are doing great & wonderfully well. Unfortunately, we lost Kojo to drowning, Kara, Sylvester & Rodrigo made it thus far. But mehn! This things are wild. I have to chase them all around their cage to catch them. The annoying part is when I eventually get to hold them, O boy! see noise!!! angry
Well, on a brighter note, they don't eat much at all. grin

1 Like

Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by Timmylehyn(m): 2:19am On Aug 27, 2020
jidestroud:
Yea right!!! They are doing great & wonderfully well. Unfortunately, we lost Kojo to drowning, Kara, Sylvester & Rodrigo made it thus far. But mehn! This things are wild. I have to chase them all around their cage to catch them. The annoying part is when I eventually get to hold them, O boy! see noise!!! angry
Well, on a brighter note, they don't eat much at all. grin

Hello Mr Jidestroud, I'd like to reach you. I sent you a Pm already. Kindly respond. Timmylehyn@gmail.com
Re: My Guinea Fowls Dairy by jidestroud(m): 6:59am On Aug 27, 2020
Timmylehyn:

Hello Mr Jidestroud, I'd like to reach you. I sent you a Pm already. Kindly respond. Timmylehyn@gmail.com

Top of the day to you,
I have replied your mail. You can always contact me on Telegram; RockkLee

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Sniper Kill Snakes? Pls Help!! / High Blood Content In My Dogs Urine / 100% Pure Female Buabo For Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.