Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? (675 Views)

Family Of Girlfriend To KENPOLY Graduate Who Committed Suicide Speak Out / Five Ways To Teach Your Kids Table Manners / Would You Dress Your Kids Like This? See Reactions (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Flakky26(f): 1:52pm On Jul 25, 2020
Native language can as well be refer to as a local language, first language or the mother tongue .In 1999, UNESCO proclaimed February 21 as International Mother Language Day to promote cultural diversity and multilingualism across the globe. Recent development shows that many young people especially generation Z (5- 25years) is slowly losing their native language proficiency while they are becoming linguistically assimilated into speaking English alone. read more ,click [url] https://selfdiscovery4teens.webs.com/apps/blog/[/url]
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by donbachi(m): 2:01pm On Jul 25, 2020
Dem dey dash money?
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by mardis: 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2020
Am speaking my dialect to them so is my spouse. They will learn all at once

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by budaatum: 2:14pm On Jul 25, 2020
Reminds me of my own childhood, lol.

One day in nursery school, everyone was asked to say something in their mother tongue, but unfortunately mine spoke English most of the time and some gibberish I never understood.

The Pakistan kids said their words, and the Indians said theirs as did the Polish and the French and the Italians, the Welsh and the Irish and everyone else in my class saying something in their mother tongue till it was my turn and the only word I knew wasn't English was finito, which I translated as "no more" since it's what dad always said when there was no more food or telly watching.

I was so laughed at that that wasn't Yoruba, so I went home and asked my parents to teach me my mother tongue, and fortunately ended up a couple of years later amongst my mother tongue speakers and learnt the local language by translating into English Obey's "What shall we make this world into, I don't understand. World clean clean, world clean clean, this world is hard". I still recall asking a cousin of mine, "breadi waaa", when I meant, "can I have some bread please".

2 Likes

Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Flakky26(f): 2:46pm On Jul 28, 2020
mardis:

Thumbs up! Keep it up !

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by merieam16(f): 7:02pm On Jul 28, 2020
Sure dey would speak
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Jul 30, 2020
Flakky26:
Native language can as well be refer to as a local language, first language or the mother tongue .In 1999, UNESCO proclaimed February 21 as International Mother Language Day to promote cultural diversity and multilingualism across the globe. Recent development shows that many young people especially generation Z (5- 25years) is slowly losing their native language proficiency while they are becoming linguistically assimilated into speaking English alone. read more ,click [url] https://selfdiscovery4teens.webs.com/apps/blog/[/url]
Honestly, I agree that there is no money in it.
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Flakky26(f): 8:04am On Jul 30, 2020
Flakky26:

speaking local Language is a strong social and cultural asset every parent must give their kids
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Flakky26(f): 8:06am On Jul 30, 2020
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Flakky26(f): 5:44am On Sep 16, 2020
mardis:

Good

1 Like

Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by LadySarah: 7:26am On Sep 16, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Honestly, I agree that there is no money in it.

Change this mentality. It is absurd!
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by dedoz: 10:36am On Sep 16, 2020
We speak our dialect in our home.Our kids of 6 and 4 years speak our dialect..Even our baby of 1and 2months understands when we communicate with her....sometime last year,I went for school run,as we were heading to their car park a man called my attention to commend me on the way my kids speak our dialect.
Re: Do Your Kids Speak Your Local Language? by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2020
LadySarah:
Change this mentality. It is absurd!
Why? What is absurd in it? I am not sure I follow at all. If something serves no real benefit to one's mind, body and soul, why pursue it? It is all part of what some would admit is the 'meaninglessness' of living.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please, This Woman Life Is In Danger, She Needs Your Help. / Nigerian Woman Shot Dead By Her Italian Husband After Filling For Divorce / Peace of mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.