Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,204 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie (193 Views)

Pastor Paul Enenche To Comedians: Don't Tell Lies To Make People Laugh / Iyke Oriaku: How I Used To Lie To Raise Money For God / '9 Diseases Your Pastor Lies To You About' - Aroms Aigbehi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie by vivilafrosh(f): 6:25pm On Jul 25, 2020
Is it always a sin to lie? Is there ever a time when it’s OK to commit a “lesser” sin—perhaps to avoid what you perceive as a much more serious sin?

I think most Christians would answer No to that question. Sin is sin, whether it’s a “big” sin or a “little” sin, right?

And even if hypothetical circumstances were to force us to choose a “lesser evil,” it remains a sin and something we should repent of, right?

But does your answer hold if we apply it to one of the most difficult ethical questions imaginable: would it have been ethical for a Christian to lie to the Nazi

Why does God have a standard of telling the truth, but people like Rahab are allowed to lie and not even be reprimanded for it?

Consider for a moment when Rahab was praised for lying in James 2:25 although lying is forbidden in the Ten Commandments but not a righteous lie.

The context of this is Joshua 2:1–16, when the Israelites were spying out the land that the Lord has promised them. Rahab gave refuge to the spies, hid them, and sent their pursuers off in another direction while directing the Israelites elsewhere. During her discourse with the pursuers, she lied about where the men were.Yet Hebrews 11 says she did not perish along with those who were disobedient because she welcomed the spies.

Does it apply to Nigeria where our pastors conjoin there opinion to pass Gods message to us. Can it be considered a righteous lie?
Re: We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie by budaatum: 6:39pm On Jul 25, 2020
A person who lies has something to hide, and I doubt the righteous have things to hide.

Do note though that buda is not righteous.

1 Like

Re: We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2020
Vivilafrosh, U Av A Good Point, Even In D Bible, After God Had Rejected Sauld 4rm Being D King Of Isreal, God Told Samuel 2 Anoint David As King But Samuel Was Afraid & Told God Dat If Saul Finds Out He Would Kill Him. God Den Told Samuel 2 Say Dat He Wants Offer Sacrifice Unto God So As Not 2 Make Saul Know Abt It. 1samuel 16 Vs 1 Down.
Re: We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie by Kobojunkie: 10:31pm On Jul 25, 2020
vivilafrosh:

But does your answer hold if we apply it to one of the most difficult ethical questions imaginable: would it have been ethical for a Christian to lie to the Nazi
The answer in fact holds even in extreme cases such as the one you attempt to put forth there, that sin is indeed sin.

As long as it is defined a sin By the Almighty, then it remains a sin. God's definition of sin was never subject to man's opinion from the beginning, and that hasn't changed.

Rules of ethics apply to our relationship with each other and as human, not our relationship with God, and so can in no way be said to redefine that which is of God.
Would I lie to save the life of another human being? Yes!
Is that lie a sin against God? Yes
Would I ask forgiveness from my God for telling said lie? Immediately afterwards!
Why would I, after emphatically stating that it is indeed a sin, say that I would lie to save a life? Because God says He desires mercy over sacrifice to Him, and He also commands that I love my neighbor as I love my own self!

vivilafrosh:

Why does God have a standard of telling the truth, but people like Rahab are allowed to lie and not even be reprimanded for it?

Consider for a moment when Rahab was praised for lying in James 2:25 although lying is forbidden in the Ten Commandments but not a righteous lie.
Rahab was praised by a fellow human there, not by God. Note the difference! And do not forget the suffering she had to endure for that lie she told. Though she may have saved the life of her own family, she certainly cost 1000s more theirs. Imagine living with that on your conscience.
vivilafrosh:

The context of this is Joshua 2:1–16, when the Israelites were spying out the land that the Lord has promised them. Rahab gave refuge to the spies, hid them, and sent their pursuers off in another direction while directing the Israelites elsewhere. During her discourse with the pursuers, she lied about where the men were.Yet Hebrews 11 says she did not perish along with those who were disobedient because she welcomed the spies.
Her lie was no less a sin though. Matter of fact, since she was not even a descendant of Israel to begin with, she was already condemned.
vivilafrosh:

Does it apply to Nigeria where our pastors conjoin there opinion to pass Gods message to us. Can it be considered a righteous lie?
There is no such thing as a 'Righteous' lie!
Re: We Mistake Righteous Lies To Lie by AntiChristian: 12:45am On Jul 26, 2020
grin

(1) (Reply)

Today's Devotionals For Christians - MONDAY 27TH JULY 2020 / Be The Real You! / What To Do When You Don't Feel Like Praying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.