Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? (4001 Views)

Mummy Calm Down: Oreofeoluwa Becomes Estate Ambassador In Abuja (PHOTOS) / Lady Recreates The "Calm Down" Video Of Boy And His Mother / Boy Becomes 'Calm Down' Ambassador After "Mummy Calm Down" Viral Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 1:52pm On Jul 31, 2020
Jullima:

Okayy

There’s still NOTHING in the video that suggests the boy is an abused child. Personally, I also don’t believe in spanking, I am more of a ‘see the errors of your ways, actions have consequences’ kind of mother. So your posts are right in the right context but not this one. There’s absolutely nothing that proves he’s been abused, even the Western country you quoted, spanking is LEGAL as long as it doesn’t cause injury to the child. There’s spanking and there’s spanking. So do you know the kind of spanking this boy was going to receive?? I hate it when people judge others without context.

“He’s terrified” lol really?? Have you been around children?? You’ve not seen children act like they’ve been shot just because you tell them to eat their food?

That’s why I don’t post family on social media, so many judgy people on the internet.

I have a lot of experience with children. That's all you need to know.

2 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Jullima(f): 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hathor5:

Apparently not! If you think any child crying means he/she is ‘terrified’ or being ‘brutalized’. Why do you think the video went viral? Because he behaved atypical of a Nigerian child that chops beating.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hathor5:

I can't listen to the video. It baffles me that people think it is funny. But brutalizing children in this country is the norm so comparatively this was only the tip of the iceberg.
It is really a sad situation no wonder some of the children grow up to become frustrated sadist because there is a communication gap and the only language they understand when it comes to correcting their children is beating
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 2:02pm On Jul 31, 2020
Jullima:

Apparently not! If you think any child crying means he/she is ‘terrified’ or being ‘brutalized’. Why do you think the video went viral? Because he behaved atypical of a Nigerian child that chops beating.

I can go on for days because I feel very passionate about children but I must warn you, I will never agree with you on what I saw and heard in this video.

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2020
Ladyhippolyta88:

It is really a sad situation no wonder some of the children grow up to become frustrated sadist because there is a communication gap and the only language they understand when it comes to correcting their children is beating

And the cycle continues ....

But instead of developing healthier techniques, they are afraid of copying Westerners. Maybe if they stop quoting the Bible and copying the ways people thousands of years ago used to live, they will come up with something new and for a change have the world look up to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Jullima(f): 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hathor5:

I can go on for days because I feel very passionate about children but I must warn you, I will never agree with you on what I saw and heard in this video.
lol get over yourself, I absolutely don’t care if you agree with me, not my objective.

Maybe because you are too passionate, you’re getting tunnel vision and you’ve become blind and can’t tell when a child is being abused. You begin to hear and see what you want to see to fit into your passionate agenda. It happens, you become too passionate in something you start to lose objectivity and rationality goes out the window.

11 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2020
Jullima:

I absolutely don’t care if you agree with me, not my objective.

Maybe because you are too passionate, you’re getting tunnel vision and you’ve become blind and can’t tell when a child is being abused. You begin to hear and see what you want to see to fit into your passionate agenda. It happens, you become too passionate in something you start to lose objectivity and rationality goes out the window.

Maybe or maybe you are used to a lot of fear and despair and the child sounds normal to you.

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Jullima(f): 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hathor5:

Maybe or maybe you are used to a lot of fear and despair and the child sounds normal to you.
Yes, he sounds normal to people that raise or are around children his age. They’ve seen it enough times not to judge another mother until they have a full context. They recognize that tears when they wake him up to bath, to eat his food, wear his clothes, you know when you tell him to do things he doesn’t want to do.

Where did you get your child psychology diploma from? You’re owed a refund.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Ishilove: 3:58pm On Jul 31, 2020
joseph1832:
grin cheesy
And you had to highlight rod cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Ishilove: 4:02pm On Jul 31, 2020
UjuJoan2:

Some kids are very very dramatic. He may not be as terrified as he is pretending to be.

Remember children can be manipulative too. They do something wrong, knowing the consequences, yet do it anyway. Trust me if that mother is truly abusive, that boy will not won't even have the guts to say 'calm down'. As a matter of fact he will never even dare comit the crime in the first place.

My second child used to be the most stubborn and daring, and that's because she is so much like that little boy.

Anytime you want to discipline her she will scream and beg and tell you that you're going to kill her, that she loves you, that you are her mother, that she will never ever ever do it again. . . . . And the next second she's doing the same thing. I never used to be able to go through with spanking her because of her highly dramatic cries and pleas, untill I learned to ignore them. . . . I realised it was a tactic. Infact she bragged to her elder sister one day that "Mum can never spank her, that she will cry and beg and Mum will forgive her" shocked

Let's just say she has now become loyal! cool cool
Hahahahahahahaha!!

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by ogunboy(m): 4:12pm On Jul 31, 2020
Ogunboy

5 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 4:32pm On Jul 31, 2020
Jullima:

Yes, he sounds normal to people that raise or are around children his age. They’ve seen it enough times not to judge another mother until they have a full context. They recognize that tears when they wake him up to bath, to eat his food, wear his clothes, you know when you tell him to do things he doesn’t want to do.

Where did you get your child psychology diploma from? You’re owed a refund.

This is normal in your life, definitely not in my life and not for the people surrounding me.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 4:34pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

This is normal in your life, definitely not mine.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 4:35pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 4:35pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

But instead of developing healthier techniques, they are afraid of copying Westerners. Maybe if they stop quoting the Bible and copying the ways people thousands of years ago used to live, they will come up with something new and for a change have the world look up to them.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 4:36pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 4:36pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hath0r5(f): 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

If you don't like what I am writing here, don't read it.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:43pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

That's exactly the way it is. kiss
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:44pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

cheesy grin cheesy
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:44pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

I can tell the difference between a child throwing tantrums and a terrified child. If mummy doesn't want to strangers to comment on her discipline techniques, she should refrain from uploading such videos, which is abuse of power in itself.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

This is normal in your life, definitely not in my life and not for the people surrounding me.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by UjuJoan2: 4:51pm On Jul 31, 2020
Hathor5:

If you look at the statistics you will discover that teenage pregnancies in the West are more rampant among non-white ethnic groups, both in the US and the UK with the UK having the most teenage pregnancies from Black girls. What does it tell you? wink

Social class plays a big factor too. It's a complex topic. All I know is that I have seen and know brilliant kids who were raised by parents who knew other methods of discipline other than spanking, flogging and all the different forms of abuse that are rampant in Nigeria. [b][/b]

I don't know how you see this spanking of a thing. It's not like whenever they do something wrong we go all out to beat them up. IT doesn't really work that way. Most times I only resort to flogging after ALL other methods have failed. . . . And only for very grievous offenses that were repeated over and over again.

I know it's easy to assume any child being flogged is being abused, but it's not necessarily true. A lot of children need that flogging for their brains to reset. What is important is to know what works for each child, and try not to go beyond any boundaries.

I also had parents who knew how to use the cane, and I used to think they went too far. But now, raising kids of my own, I see now that you just have to do that for some kids, sometimes. And funny enough, somehow, I didn't get as much beating as my siblings. I knew what was expected of me, and I just did it. If I made a mistake, I showed true remorse and somehow I never got flogged as much. My siblings used to think I was favored, but the truth is, I was so eager to make my parents happy and proud that I never even considered doing anything that would upset them.

People are made differently, just because some children turned out well without being flogged doesn't mean others won't need the cane to be responsible.

2 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:53pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:53pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:54pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Am not her father / My 2 Year Old Marriage Is Shaking. This Is What Is Happening / Do You Get Beatings From Your Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.