Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities (8178 Views)

The First Vice Chancellors Of UNILAG And Uni Of Ibadan Were Igbos / Vice Chancellors To Buhari, 'single Account Will Disrupt University System' / Jonathanians, Can We See The Pictures Of The So-called 9 Brand New Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ekubear1: 9:09am On Feb 10, 2011
Feb 10, 2011

Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the appointments of vice chancellors and registrars for the newly established federal universities.
The universities are in Kogi, Taraba, Ebonyi, Jigawa, Bayelsa, Gombe, Ekiti, Nasarawa and Katsina states.
Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, the Minister of Education, said at a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday that the government had ”approached the matter systematically by establishing nine universities.
She said there were at present 12 states without federal universities but promised that ”the remaining three (states) will have federal universities in due course.”
The minister named the Vice-chancellor of Federal University, Lokoja, as Prof. Abdulmumini Rafindadi, and Mrs Habiba Adeiza, as the registrar.
Prof. Ekanem Braide is the Vice-Chancellor of Federal University, Lafia, and Dr Idris Jibrin will serve as Registrar
Prof. Mohammed Farouk is the Vice-chancellor of Federal University Kashere, Gombe State, and Dr Abubakar Bafeto will be Registrar.
Federal University Wukari, Taraba, has Prof. Geoffrey Okogbaa as Vice-Chancellor and Mr John Ansho is Registrar; Prof. James Ayatse is Vice-Chancellor for Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina, while Mr Abubakar Yusuf is the Registrar.
Others are Prof. Jibrila Amin for the Federal University, Dutse, and Alhaji Yusuf Adamu will be the Registrar.
Prof. Oye Ibidapo-Obe is the Vice-Chancellor of Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi, and Mr G.O. Chukwu is Registrar.
Prof. Chinedu Nebo is vice-chancellor for the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti and Dr. Modupe Ajayi; the Registrar, while Prof. Bolaji Aluko is the vice-chancellor for the Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa, and Mr David Suwari will be Registrar.
Rufa’I said that to avoid “the localisation of the new universities and to ensure that they took off as national and international centres of knowledge, care had been taken to ensure that the pioneer vice-chancellors were carefully chosen.
“This ranges from the former vice-chancellors, deputy vice-chancellors, provosts of Colleges of Medicine as well as distinguished Nigerian professors in the Diaspora and no vice cchancellor shall serve in a University within his or her geo-political zone.”
She said that the appointments would take immediate effect, and that the Jiont Addimission and Matriculations Board (JAMB), had been directed to facilitate students’ intake in the institutions in September.
She also used the medium to reiterate the Federal Government’s commitment to access equity and quality education at all levels in Nigeria.
“The decision to establish the new universities was informed by the imperative of creating more access to university education in view of the large number of qualified candidates who are annually stranded.
“In addition, there is the principle of equity in the distribution of Federal Universities to cover states of the federation where such institutions do not exist,” she said.
Rufa’I said that for the effective take-off of the universities, the Federal Ministry of Education had visited the states.
She said that the Federal Executive Council, with the support of the state governments, the permanent and take-off sites had been identified and approved.
“This was subsequently followed by the Council’s approval of N1.5 billion for each university to be sourced from the Education Trust Fund (ETF),” she said. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/jonathan-appionts-vice-chancellors-for-new-universities/
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ekubear1: 9:10am On Feb 10, 2011
Well done, GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 11:37am On Feb 10, 2011
So Veneral C. Nebo isnt ready to retire soon?
Congrats to them sha.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by oludashmi(f): 12:49pm On Feb 10, 2011
Congrats to them but how will the new universities be different from the previous ones if not worse
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by asamuel: 1:13pm On Feb 10, 2011
Sharing posts and money just to win election. This guy is too desperate.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mrofficial(m): 1:15pm On Feb 10, 2011
Looks good, but more spending.

From federal to local goverment, maintenance is a big problem.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by spaceman83: 1:21pm On Feb 10, 2011
Odunnu:

Congrats to them sha.

My brother imagine that, don't mind them Nebo, na Nigeria and there seat tight syndrome
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by DoubleN(m): 1:22pm On Feb 10, 2011
eku_bear:

Well done, GEJ.
Well done for what Have they finished taking care of the ones that are on ground? Has he standardized lecturer's take home pay to be competitive with those from other parts of the world? This is arrant nonsense!!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Nsiman(m): 1:29pm On Feb 10, 2011
@ double N, are u happy that ur state has a federal university? Are u happy that others don't have? Be ur brother's keeper
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 1:51pm On Feb 10, 2011
asamuel:

Stale
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by peaceland(m): 2:04pm On Feb 10, 2011
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Mortiple(m): 2:19pm On Feb 10, 2011
asamuel:

I totally disagree.  No amount of money spent on our educational sector will ever be too much.  Desperation or not, does it really matter?  If GEJ could fix Nigeria's basic problems during this electioneering campaign, in order to win, why not?

My great concern - let the government create more jobs for the unemployed graduates, especially.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by demoore1(m): 2:24pm On Feb 10, 2011
AMONGS ALL THE PEOPLE THEY NAMED, ONE MAN IS OUTSANDING. THE MAN WHO RESTORED THE DIGNITY OF MEN TO UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA . PROF. CC NEBO, BUT WHY EKITI STATE
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 2:25pm On Feb 10, 2011
When other serious nations are reducing govt spending ours are dolling out billions for kangaroo projects that will soon become abandoned. So of all the myriads of problems facing the country today, the creation of universities is the first priority of this clueless president. More so, most of them are located in the North where he needed massive support. I know apologists will soon argue those are the states without federal universities, but may I ask with due respect, how many of the indigenes of those states are interested in going to those universities. When the president made a promise of adequate power supply by 1st quarter of his tenure, if he had come to embark on energy research centres to further this, one would have thought working towards plan.

Nigerians shine your eye. How many graduates are out there looking for jobs? Mass failure in SSCE, Poor infrastructures in existing institutions, how far about the geneva convention where it was agreed that 26% of the nation's budget should be on education.

GEJ is a total failure and cannot deliver anything. Do not be deceive by generational shift. This guy should be in the ZOO doing research.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by sleekender(m): 2:27pm On Feb 10, 2011
Odunnu:

Congrats to them sha.

His Legacy remains in the University of Nigeria!!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by jason123: 2:28pm On Feb 10, 2011
What about our already built universities? Have they been maintained?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by bisiaet: 2:31pm On Feb 10, 2011

Oh son of man!! I think the best the fed. govt can do is to close shop, stop all govt functions, no one should go to office again, in fact they should be in hunger strike till after election may be that will satisfy so many because I realised that any move by govt to carry on their daily finctions is term as trying to win election or politically motivated. Because any country that preparing for election must not do anything again, must not even go to office, must not make any appointment again so it will not be term as politiccal move or try to win vote isinit? very funny!!!!!!

I think what we should be concern about is how the school will be funded and maintain and NOT to be thinking other way. I supported the move at least for other states to have fed. universities but the funding and maintenance is my concern.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 2:39pm On Feb 10, 2011
ayubam:

When other serious nations are reducing govt spending ours are dolling out billions for kangaroo projects that will soon become abandoned. So of all the myriads of problems facing the country today, the creation of universities is the first priority of this clueless president. More so, most of them are located in the North where he needed massive support. I know apologists will soon argue those are the states without federal universities, but may I ask with due respect, how many of the indigenes of those states are interested in going to those universities. When the president made a promise of adequate power supply by 1st quarter of his tenure, if he had come to embark on energy research centres to further this, one would have thought working towards plan.

Nigerians shine your eye. How many graduates are out there looking for jobs? Mass failure in SSCE, Poor infrastructures in existing institutions, how far about the geneva convention where it was agreed that 26% of the nation's budget should be on education.

GEJ is a total failure and cannot deliver anything. Do not be deceive by generational shift. This guy should be in the ZOO doing research.  

Really -

reducing spending on education?

sometimes I wonder.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by jason123: 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Really -

sometimes I wonder.

jason123:

What about our already built universities? Have they been maintained?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 2:46pm On Feb 10, 2011
bisiaet:

Oh son of man!! I think the best the fed. govt can do is to close shop, stop all govt functions, no one should go to office again, in fact they should be in hunger strike till after election may be that will satisfy so many because I realised that any move by govt to carry on their daily finctions is term as trying to win election or politically motivated. Because any country that preparing for election must not do anything again, must not even go to office, must not make any appointment again so it will not be term as politiccal move or try to win vote isinit? very funny!!!!!!

I think what we should be concern about is how the school will be funded and maintain and NOT to be thinking other way. I supported the move at least for other states to have fed. universities but the funding and maintenance is my concern.

You are only showing your naivety on issues? If they need to close shop, let them please because they have run this nation dry. Of the myriads of problems in nigeria, no right thinking nigerian will be thinking of creating new universities when the existing educational system has collapsed. What is the strategic impact this creation will have on the well being of the nation. Just 25% of secondary student passed SSCE and you are creating universities, for who? For those that could not make SSCE? The existing universities with best infrastructures in the country are turning out graduates of lesser quality compare to graduates of 1970s and you think govt in the name of running shops should create more universities. Please, I love issues and not personalities, of what strategic importance will these new universities be for the nation?

Suffix to say here that over 60- 70% of UK and USA citizens are NOT graduates but good products of various high schools and colleges? They have developed a robust educational system that made you sound right from primary to higher school education. Many of your existing graduates que behind them at various work places because of a lack of proper skilled educational system. An average graduate had to do one or two courses to be relevant in mkt places even in nigeria talkless of international appointment. This was not the case in the old days of nigeria. Our graduates went to Big Universities in the UK at least to be research assistance. And you are here supporting mediocrity.

GEJ is CLUELESS AND A FAILURE AND VOTING THIS GUY BACK TO POWER SHOWS THAT AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN IS EITHER DISHONEST OR IGNORANT YET WE THINK WE ARE SMART
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by OWOLAYEMO: 3:00pm On Feb 10, 2011
This will be a useful investment if only these Universities could be run professionally. Otherwise, they are white elephant projects and will collapse accordingly.

Good Job GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 3:04pm On Feb 10, 2011
jason123:

Ma_J_Blige:

Really -  

sometimes I wonder.

I know you guys will not read in between the lines but will rather look for what you consider as loopholes on issues to support your stand. Yes reduce govt spending, it could be. What do you think the UK govt has done by increasing the school fees of universities by over 300%. I have written above about 26% of the budget going to education but you will rather close your eyes to that but will rather major on a phrase to support your arguments. Building universities at this time, OF WHAT STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE IS IT TO PDP VISION. What are they trying to achieve? How many technological Universities were created in the past yet no meaningful development from those schools to national development. FUTMINNA, FUTA, FUTO, LAUTECH, ETC mention any meaningful contribution of those institutions to our nation since their creations. They turn out graduates only to start looking for work for years and 80% end up their career in the banks. The 75% mass failure in SSCE what is GEJ doing about that. I went to a public secondary school in Ibadan (Wesley College of Science) and in my days my school will compete to the best of private secondary schools mention them Olashore, Adesoye college mention any we stand tall. The Average results in our set of over 500 students was 6As 3Cs with over 200 student with 9As and could say it confidently that cheating was not allowed. That was how it was for several schools like GCI, Queen Schools, ISI and many public schools in other states that I met in the UNI. That is not the case again.

Yet a president has vote 1.5B each for 9universities.

PLEASE OF WHAT STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE IS THE CREATION OF THESE UNIVERSITIES. LET US TALK ISSUES
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by semid4lyfe(m): 3:05pm On Feb 10, 2011
Congrats to all the newly appointed VC's and registrars particularly Prof Oye Ibidapo-Obe

Well done GEJ
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 10, 2011
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 3:16pm On Feb 10, 2011
PStylish:

@ayubam
Bros why are you so antagonistic?
The money could have been embezzled anyways.And you wont have any idea how it went.I would rather GEJ spent money on any kind of projects whatsoever than the money got embezzled by some crazy few.
Anyone complaining about the current despicable state of our universities should know that at the right time, when there will be a revival, more universities including the ones to be created now will become superb. Hence, more excellent universities in the country.
Also, know that at no time will the cost of building or starting a university in 2011 be more than the cost of building or starting one in the nearest future.The cost will always be on the rise.

My guy you know money are embezzled using this style. No one really transfer money from govt account directly into private account. They always use this means to embezzle money. My guy what they are doing now is to settle some big wigs in those region and signing out contracts and releasing funds to win elections. This was why Ngozi Okonjoweala was moved to Ministry of Foreign affairs during OBJ govt towards 2007 elections when she refused to sign money for white elephant projects like this and the woman later resigned.

My guy, they know we do not ask questions that is y they do what they like . Your position is what our fathers took in the time past and we are suffering for it now. If projects are done without strategic importance, it cant last for generations. It would just have meant spending our tomorrow today.

Soul Search Questions

DIFFRI, where are all the projects
MAMSER, where are they?
Better LIfe for rural dwellers, where are they?
Vision 2020, how far?

These guys are just rolling money out for election. SIMPLE.

Just answer my question: OF WHAT STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE IS THE CREATION OF THOSE UNIVERSITIES. I AM NOT AN ANTAGONIST
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:33pm On Feb 10, 2011
ayubam:

i believe you don't have anything doing than criticizing your president,he wants to build universities in the country,your complaining. if he has been accuse of "money laundering" i wonder where your going to borrow "wide month" to crucify him.nothing is good to Nigeria
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 3:35pm On Feb 10, 2011
If i am GEJ, instead of doing these beneficial projects, I will just announce one day, I have cornered all the money in CBN into my private account.

Is it not better.?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by sirabbey(m): 3:45pm On Feb 10, 2011
Nine universities at a go!!! That is just the height of desperation and politics of chop I chop. Before this sham, there is at least a university in every state in Nigeria (forget whether they are state owned or federal) What GEJ is expected to do is to inject this massive money in the existing universities to shore up their man-power and infrastructure, instead he decide to divert the money to the bush(with this white elephant project) just like a Dr. of Zoology he is. It is vey sad that GEJ is playing politics with our educational system under this disguise.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 4:01pm On Feb 10, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

i believe you don't have anything doing than criticizing your president,he wants to build universities in the country,your complaining. if he has been accuse of "money laundering" i wonder where your going to borrow "wide month" to crucify him.nothing is good to Nigeria

I know you cannot read between the line. I will not argue with you. You are only talking based on your limited knowledge. If anyone ask questions, he is criticizing. Na wa for you o. Read my other posts and answer the question: What strategic importance is the creation?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 4:03pm On Feb 10, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

If i am GEJ, instead of doing these beneficial projects, I will just announce one day, I have cornered all the money in CBN into my private account.

Is it not better.?

It is better cos this one he is doing is deceiving people like you. If he does that, you will know that nothing is beneficial about such post.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 4:14pm On Feb 10, 2011
ayubam:

It is better cos this one he is doing is deceiving people like you. If he does that, you will know that nothing is beneficial about such post.

LOL

I am not deceived my friend.

Please make sure that none of your lineage ever attends any of the institutions in Nigeria, never in their life.

Thats how you can protest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lawan, Gbajabiamila Under Pressure Over Juicy Committee / Please Don't Renominate Lauretta Onochie For INEC Job - Actionaid, 70 Groups / Tinubu Promises Double-digit Economic Growth At Kaduna Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.